The United States Food and Drug Administration reported Tuesday that it has received at least 89 reports of people getting sick after consuming Chobani Greek yogurt that may have been contaminated by mold.
The reports have not been confirmed and do not represent any conclusion by the FDA about whether the product actually caused the illnesses. Chobani voluntarily removed the product from store shelves after receiving consumer complaints about swollen or bloated yogurt containers.
The New Berlin, New York-based company released a statement last week on its blog saying in part:
Home cooks have been all a-cluck over recent guidance not to wash raw chicken before it's prepared and cooked. While it may seem counterintuitive, food safety resources like the United States Department of Agriculture's "Ask Karen" website advise:
The same goes for beef, pork, lamb and veal. Eggs, too, can incur an uptick in potential contamination, because according to the USDA, "the wash water can be 'sucked' into the egg through the pores in the shell."
So why did we all start bathing our birds in the first place? Probably because Julia Child, James Beard, Bettie Crocker, Fannie Farmer, Margaret Mitchell and the "Joy of Cooking" told us - and our parents and grandparents - to.
[Editor's note: The story has been updated to include developing new recall information.]
Chobani, the maker of a popular brand of Greek-style yogurt, announced that the company has voluntarily recalled some of its yogurt from store shelves in response to customer complaints about swollen or bloated packages. A statement released Thursday indicates that some instances of illness have been reported.
The New Berlin, New York-based company released a statement Wednesday on its blog saying in part:
A farm linked to the recent outbreak of cyclospora has stopped sending lettuce to the United States, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
Taylor Farms de Mexico "voluntarily suspended production and shipment of any salad mix, leafy green, or salad mix components from its operations in Mexico," the FDA website says. The company says it will not sell these products again until it receives FDA approval.
Diners at Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants in Iowa and Nebraska caught an intestinal illness after eating salad mix that came from Mexico, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The federal agency said its investigators have traced the outbreak to four "illness clusters" of restaurants, which spokeswoman Theresa Eisenman later identified to CNN as Red Lobster and Olive Garden locations. The probe didn't find indications that any bags of salad mix with the rare type of parasite - known as cyclospora - were sold at U.S. grocery stores.
The tainted salad mix came from Taylor Farms de Mexico, "a processor of foodservice salads," according to the FDA.
Darden - the parent company for Olive Garden, Red Lobster and other restaurant chains such as LongHorn Steakhouse - described the August 2 announcement from the FDA as "new information."
The National Beef Packing Co. products, which were shipped nationwide, may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Wednesday.
There have been no reported cases of illness.
In an online statement Wednesday, National Beef Packing Co. reported "a voluntary recall for NatureSource Natural Beef, Naturewell Natural Beef and National Beef commodity ground beef." It said the meat was produced on July 18 and has a use by/freeze by date of August 7.
"We are working closely with authorities to investigate this matter and are contacting our customers who have purchased this product," the company said.
A surprise inspection by the Centers for Disease Control has resulted in a failing grade for one of the plushest cruise ships afloat.
According to a report by the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program, the cruise ship Silver Shadow was cited repeatedly for using an "organized effort" to remove 15 trolleys of food from the ship's galley to individual crew cabins to "avoid inspection."
Outdoor eating is one of the greatest joys of summertime. Unfortunately, the escalated temperatures and lack of access to clean water can significantly bump up picnickers' chances of contracting a foodborne illness like salmonella, campylobacter or listeria.
About 48 million people contract some form of food poisoning each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, so don't spoil your summer! Just take these four simple steps to stay safe and well-fed all season long.
The headmistress of the Indian school where poisoned lunches killed 22 students is on the run.
Local police chief Sujit Kumar said authorities are looking for the principal, who was not named, and her husband for questioning.
The students started vomiting soon after their first bite of rice and potatoes Tuesday at the school in the northeastern state of Bihar. Some fainted.
On Thursday, 25 people remained hospitalized - including 24 students and the school's cook, whose accounts of the incident are under scrutiny.
Bihar state Education Minister P.K. Shahi said the children were poisoned by an insecticide that was in the food.