Packets of peanuts are in no danger of disappearing completely from airplanes. In a nutshell, there's a law protecting them.
Last year, the Department of Transportation asked the public about a possible peanut ban on planes and other measures it said it was considering to address severe allergies among fliers.
It presented three options for debate: a complete ban on serving peanuts on planes, a ban on serving them when a passenger requests a peanut-free flight in advance, or a requirement for peanut-free buffer zones around severely allergic passengers who make advance requests.
The agency also solicited public input on health risks and the idea of maintaining current practice.
Read the rest of "Peanuts on planes protected by law" on CNN Travel.
Remember waaayyyy back to a few weeks ago when a bunch of Florida parents banded together in an attempt to bar a peanut-allergic first grader from attending school?
Now her father is speaking out about miscommunication and threats from people who've claimed they may try to deliberately trigger her attacks.
See all peanut allergy coverage
To most, they're just snacks on a plane or part of an innocent lunchtime PB&J. To an ever-increasing number of kids, though, even minimal exposure to peanuts can mean a trip to the hospital - or even death.
In Volusia County, Florida, parents of children at Edgewater Elementary School are demanding that one allergic girl withdraw from school, so that their children will not have to take such precautions as leaving their lunches outside or washing their hands before class. They argue that the time taken to enact these measures is stealing too much focus from their own children's learning, but the school is standing behind these measures, saying they're legally required to provide a safe environment for the first grader.
The first guidelines for diagnosing and managing food allergies were released Monday by The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI).
Designed by and for allergists, immunologists and other health care professionals, the guidelines represent the best practices for management of a disease where there is no current treatment.
It's a framework intended to help doctors make appropriate decisions about treating patients, but not fixed rules that must be followed. Doctors and patients still need to develop individual treatment plans based on the circumstance of the patient.
The most common food allergens in this country are milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, wheat and soy. Milk and eggs are the two most common allergies seen in pediatric patients, but 80 percent of children outgrow them.
Nestlé issued a voluntary recall on October 22 of its Raisinets "Fun Size" 10-ounce bags with a production code 02015748/UPC number 2800010255 because of allergen concerns over undeclared peanuts. Nestlé advised those with peanut allergies or sensitivities not to consume the chocolate-covered raisins.
The product was distributed to Target, Shop Rite and Don Quixote stores in the United States.
Consumers with concerns over the single serving size Raisinets bags can contact Nestlé Consumer Services at 1-800-478-5670.
According to an official press release, "Nestlé is taking this action out of an abundance of caution."
We pay an awful lot of attention to what our commenters have to say, and so we took note of an argument that cracked wide open yesterday amongst the readers of our piece on packing healthy kid lunches.
The darndest things show up in our inbox - cookie diets, unlikely celeb cookbooks (Mario Lopez? Was the world really screaming out for that?), and vodka flavors we wouldn't wish upon our worst landlords. One that stuck out like a sore stomach in the past short while was a subject line touting gluten-free as the "trendy" new diet.
While yes, some folks are opting in for the sake of quick slenderizing, most of the people we know who adhere to the diet do so to avoid minor inconveniences like, oh, say, crippling stomach pain, auto-immune issues and hospital visits due to allergic reactions and intolerance issues. Ain't just a trend with them; unfortunately, it's a way of life.
Two-year-old Ethan Wily had a cold recently, so at first it wasn't surprising that he started coughing last week after eating some pistachio gelato.
But he started coughing up mucus, and then gasping for air. His parents gave him an antihistamine, but it didn't stop the reaction. By the time the boy's parents brought him to their local hospital, he could barely breathe.
"His face was really swollen. He looked like an alien," said Ethan's father, Preston Wily of Lehi, Utah. "We didn't have any idea an allergy could be so bad."
CNN Health has the FULL STORY