January 25th, 2013
01:16 PM ET
Share this on:

Editor's note: For more on Hannah Storm, don't miss "Sanjay Gupta, MD" on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. ET Saturday and 7:30 a.m. ET Sunday.

ESPN "SportsCenter" host Hannah Storm suffered severe burns as the result of a propane grill accident at her Connecticut home on December 11. CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta spoke with her recently. Here is an edited version of that interview.

CNN: Is it hard for you to just be by that grill where this all happened, psychologically?

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Grilling • Grilling • Injuries

June 19th, 2012
12:15 PM ET
Share this on:

An investigation is ongoing, but authorities believe that Jay Luther, co-owner and chef of Nashville's popular Germantown Cafe, was trapped in the cooler of the restaurant's east side location when a lock malfunctioned.

Posted by:
Filed under: Chefs • Injuries

April 17th, 2012
05:11 PM ET
Share this on:

TMZ and other sources report that Miley Cyrus was rushed to the emergency room on Monday night after wounding herself with a knife while cooking dinner in her Toluca, California, home. Her mother and boyfriend, Liam Hemsworth of "Hunger Games" fame, took her to get the bloody cut stitched up at a nearby emergency room.

We've been there, Miley. We've been there. And we have the scars to prove it.

Glue the wound, skip the stitches - How pro chefs handle kitchen wounds

Deep cuts from the comments - Tales from the kitchen trenches

Burn, slice, sear – cooking is a dangerous business - A gory treasury of kitchen injuries

Oops, I burned my cleavage - Hot times at the grill

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Injuries • Make

January 27th, 2012
10:45 AM ET
Share this on:

Your souffle fell flat, your bechamel broke, or your beef stew was insufficiently delicious. Sometimes it's you. Sometimes it's the recipe.

At least you likely didn't suffer facial wounds like the 14 people who who successfully sued Chilean newspaper La Tercera for printing a churro recipe, that proved quite...explosive.

Seven years after the incident, Chile's supreme court ruled that the oil temperature provided was high enough to cause inevitable injury to anyone who attempted to make the fried dough snack at home. Compensation will be based on the seriousness of the damage (none of which was permanently disfiguring), in amounts ranging from $5000 to $50,000.

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Injuries • Make • News • Weird News

Deep cuts – from the comments
May 12th, 2011
11:45 AM ET
Share this on:

In response to yesterday's feature Glue the wound, skip the stitches, a few cringe-inducing anecdotes from chefs, culled from the comments.

As 30-year kitchen veteran, The People's Chef wrote, quoting Jesse Ventura, "It's not a macho thing at all...I ain't got time to bleed."

A round of shots for the kitchen, please!

When you're in the weeds, you have no time to get stitches. You're already pissed at yourself for getting cut, so you just want to get back on the line and keep cooking. My old chef used to joke (i hope he was joking) that whenever he cut himself, he'd just sear the wound on the flattop, cauterizing, and go back to work. Sure, a lot of it is about machismo, but really it comes from not wanting to let the customers, or more importantly, the other kitchen staff down. If I'm gone to get stitches, they're screwed. - Gastrodude

Currently a line cook at a popular neighborhood bistro in Chicago...I can say I will have no hesitation to cauterize a cut with a non-stick or a knife held over the flame. Compared to oil or sugar burns, contact burns don't hurt at all. - Glenn


May 11th, 2011
09:30 PM ET
Share this on:

"It's a good thing you came in; the meat was hanging out."

There's no context in which those words portend well - especially not when they're uttered by a medical professional. In this instance, a physician assistant was snipping off the ninth and final stitch she'd sewn into my lidocaine-numbed index finger*, sliced nearly in two by a tumbler I was using to measure cocktail ingredients this past Saturday. Suddenly I felt like a dope for even having thought of toughing out this injury at home.

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Favorites • Injuries • Make • Restaurant News • Television • Top Chef

Burn, slice, sear - cooking is a dangerous business
August 11th, 2010
04:30 PM ET
Share this on:

Sharp blades, high flames, scalding oil - nope, it's not the next installment of the Saw film franchise; it's your kitchen. And it wants to kill you.

Our recent post about a cooking-related cleavage burn* and call for injury stories garnered some shudder-inducing accounts of band saw gouges, knife-gouged feet and the telltale burn mark that lets you pick a professional chef out of a crowd. Mitt up and read on.

Mind your mandoline

Patrick in Birmingham
A few months ago, I was using our new mandoline slicer. Every thing was going so well, until I felt myself "nick" the top of my finger (important note: I was NOT using the guard). Upon closer inspection, I realized that I had not nicked but rather sliced off about half of my fingernail! After I almost passed out, we headed out to the emergency department but not before tossing the mandoline in the trash.


Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Cooking • From the Comments • Injuries • Make

Collateral damage – nicks, cuts, burns and scars
August 9th, 2010
01:45 PM ET
Share this on:

I burned my cleavage with a meat thermometer. How was your weekend?

The stem was heated to roughly 435F, though it may have dropped a few degrees in its mid-air bobble from the grill, to my mitted fingers, down the front of my black cotton dress. "Thank goodness..." my brain stuttered in the milliseconds between the metal's contact with the moon-pale skin adjacent to my right breast and the initial ascent of pain from nerve endings to thalamus, "...that I wore a bra today."

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Favorites • Injuries • Make

July 2014
« Jun    
| Part of