'Gluten-free'? Now you can be sure
August 6th, 2014

Last August, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an ultimatum: Food manufacturers had one year to make sure any "gluten-free" products met FDA requirements.

That deadline is up. To use the "gluten-free" label, products must now have an undetectable level of gluten and cannot have any ingredient containing wheat, rye, barley, or any their derivatives.

If manufacturers continue to use the "gluten-free" label without bringing their food up to scratch, they will be subject to regulatory action from the FDA. (Some foods, such as pasta, may still be on shelves legally for a while if they were produced before the ruling.)

A gluten-free diet is the only medically accepted treatment for those who suffer from celiac disease, although gluten-free is increasingly become a popular diet choice for those who don't have the condition.

There are approximately 3 million people in the United States who have celiac disease, and even a small amount of gluten can cause damage in their bodies. Some doctors also believe people can be sensitive to gluten or have a gluten intolerance, which is not as severe.

Read - 'Gluten-free' now really means gluten-free

Previously:
Graduate to better gluten-free cake
Perfect chocolate chip cookies (that happen to be gluten-free)
Five tips for gluten-free cookies
What do "gluten," "celiac" and "sensitivity" mean?
Allergy-friendly grocery shopping without breaking the bank
Five places you won't miss the gluten
Gluten-free cooking ingredients

1. bkhuna

It doesn't have to be gluten free. Most "gluten zealots" just need to "believe" it's gluten free.

August 30, 2014 at 6:57 am |
  2. Carolyn

Alicia, I had no idea what it was although I had heard of it. For years I suffered from it's effects not having a clue as to what was wrong with me. Finally after moving to another state and going to a different doctor she mentioned that I might have Celiac. She did a blood test and told me not to eat any bread, noodles etc. and she would call me with the results of my blood test. Sure enough I have a gluten allergy confirmed by the blood test. It was the hardest thing to do cutting out the things I loved to eat the most, BREAD!! I love bread not to mention noodles! However once I stopped eating things with gluten in them, I started to feel better. I also had to be put on mega vitamins as I was vitamin depleted due to the Celiac. I have to say in the beginning I was pretty strict about avoiding anything with gluten, however since I have healed I will cheat on special occasions. Gluten free products are so expensive that I avoid them almost completely, buying on line is cheaper than buying in my area stores.

August 26, 2014 at 10:52 am |
  3. caretransitionsllp

Reblogged this on Care Transitions LLP.

August 6, 2014 at 4:13 pm |
  4. Carn E. Vore

"...although gluten-free is increasingly become a popular diet choice for those who don't have the condition."
    Attention CNN, you need to replace "...those who don't have the condition" in that sentence with "...ignorant, weak-minded sheeple."

August 6, 2014 at 4:01 pm |
    • Carn E. Vore

Did the sheeple elect you to bleat as their representative? If not, STFU and get back in the pasture.

August 7, 2014 at 10:21 am |
      • Carn E. Vore

Back...in...the...pasture. Do as your betters tell you.

August 7, 2014 at 4:59 pm |
      • Thinking things through

Actually, the more I hear the term, "sheeple", I think it means that the speaker is upset that the herd isn't following HIS particular herd!

August 7, 2014 at 5:45 pm |
      • Roctod Ohw

Then learn what it means. You are obviously not thinking it through.

August 11, 2014 at 7:05 am |
      • Thinking things through

Roctod Ohw, I know what the word is supposed to mean, and yes, I've seriously thought it through. I stand by my post.

August 12, 2014 at 8:15 pm |
      • Thinking things through

(A pause to work on dinner...) The point I am making is that entirely ALL the people who call others "sheeple" just quickly assume ONLY THEIR OWN viewpoints are valid and thus everyone else must be following an unthinking herd. And, so very often, they already have their OWN herd. I am sure there are exceptions, but in my experience, very rare.

August 12, 2014 at 8:32 pm |
    • Alicia

20 bucks says at least half of the people who claim to be gluten free have no idea what gluten is and couldn't tell you the symptoms of celiac disease.

BAA BAA indeed.