July 2nd, 2014

Americans want food their way, and a new survey shows that "their way" calls for a higher quality, more varied meal than they're getting at the top burger, burrito, sandwich and chicken chains.

Consumer Reports asked subscribers to answer one straightforward question: "On a scale of  1 to 10, from least delicious to most delicious you’ve ever eaten, how would you rate the taste?"

96,208 meals and 65 chains later, some trends emerged: readers expressed an increased interest in the quality of the food, and less of a focus on convenience than they had in the group's 2011 report. One industry expert, Darren Tristano of Technomic, a food-service research and consulting firm, told Consumer Reports that he believes the shift has a lot to do with the increasing role food plays in millennials' social lives.

He also noted that chains like Chipotle and Panera emphasize the origin and quality of their ingredients, unlike major chains like McDonald's, which serves flash-frozen patties touted as "free from preservatives, fillers, extenders, and so-called pink slime.”

"More and more, food quality ― not just low price ― is emerging as a deciding-factor for many Americans when choosing where to spend their dining dollars," said Tod Marks, senior projects editor for Consumer Reports in a press release about the survey.

He continued, “Strong regional players and slightly more upscale fast-casual chains like Chipotle are giving the heavy-hitters in the fast-food business a wake-up call. And our survey clearly shows the big guys need to respond.”

But let's serve up the data:

In the burger business, The Habit Burger Grill took top honors, earning an 8.1 out of 10 points from readers, followed closely by cult favorite In-N-Out Burger with an 8.0 rating. Five Guys Burgers and Fries tied with Smashburger at 7.9 and Fuddrucker's finished out the top five at 7.8.

McDonald's fared worst of all by a pretty beefy margin, earning a 5.8 rating. Burger King, Krystal and Jack In the Box shared the second-to-the-bottom berth with a score of 6.6.

In the chicken category, Chick-fil-A ruled the roost. The headline-grabbing chain earned an 8.1, just above second-place finisher El Pollo Loco, which earned a 7.7 satisfaction score. KFC fowl-ed out with a last-place 7.1.

Wiener chain Portillo's Hot Dogs was the big winner in the sandwiches and subs group, earning an 8.5 from fans, making it the top-ranked chain of the whole survey. The world's largest restaurant chain, Subway - which has recently sought to revamp its image after consumers lobbied for "yoga mat" chemical azodicarbonamide to be removed from its bread, and reports of worker underpayment emerged - finished second to last with a 7.2, just two-tenths of a point above Au Bon Pain.

And the burrito category was a wrap for "farm-to-face" favorite Chipotle. The chain edged out second place finisher Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill, 7.8 to 7.7. Taco Bell bottomed out the rankings with a 6.3.

The survey also revealed that most fast-food diners aren’t concerned about their diets when they dine out. Only one-fifth worry about the availability of healthier menu options when they're deciding where to eat. Once they're in the restaurant, only 19% opt to order them.

The full report is available to subscribers at ConsumerReports.org and in the August issue of the magazine.

Previously:
Top 10 burgers in the U.S.
Top 10 non-traditional burgers in America
America's Best Cheeseburger (according to Food Network)
World's Best Bacon Cheeseburger (according to the London Observer)

Posted by:
Filed under: Burger King • Chick-fil-A • Chipotle • Fast Food • In-N-Out • KFC • McDonald's • Subway • Taco Bell

1. Fedup

Habit!!!!!

July 3, 2014 at 11:37 am |
  2. i12bphil

People who look down their nose with disdain at other people's food choices are the same people who are friendly to your face and then talk trash about you after you leave the room. Their opinions mean less than nothing.

July 3, 2014 at 11:25 am |
    • mickdamill

I think they are looking down their nose at people who have no business eating fast food, causing people like me to pay more for health care premiums.

July 3, 2014 at 11:55 am |
  3. JeffinIL

On one hand McDonald's comes out on the bottom of the poll, on the other hand, they are the most successful burger restaurant. I guess this just shows how what we say we want doesn't necessarily translate to our actions of what we buy.

July 3, 2014 at 11:23 am |
  4. Humberto

I enjoy taking a doo doo into an ice cream cone the eating it...YUMM

July 3, 2014 at 10:40 am |
    • JellyBean

Great, the feces trolls are back.

July 3, 2014 at 10:45 am |
  5. Priti

I am VEGAN. If you ask me, this is all garbage. However, Americans would anything and say it's delicious. so whatever...

July 3, 2014 at 10:22 am |
    • Priti

I meant, "Americans would eat anything".

July 3, 2014 at 10:24 am |
      • SeaVik

That's not true. I've seen the stuff my vegan cousins eat and it's disgusting. I would never eat that fake "food".

July 3, 2014 at 10:59 am |
    • i12bphil

I'm very sorry to hear that you are VEGAN, but its no one's fault other than your own. Poor thing.

July 3, 2014 at 11:13 am |
  6. Chicken Fringers

Where is LOS POLLOS HERMANOS???

There stuff is addicting.

July 3, 2014 at 10:16 am |
  7. JT

Wendy's has by far the best fast food salads. They also have chili. I eat there probably once a week, getting a half salad and a small chili. You don't have to order a large bacon burger and fries with frosty for dessert.

I do eat at McDonalds pretty often too. I usually just get their oatmeal and some fries because I really like their particular fries. The oatmeal is just instant oatmeal marked up 500% but I find it decent and it's releatively healthy for fast food.

I used to eat a lot of Subway, but after awhile the ingredients started to go downhill. Everything was really bland. Even in the middle of summer they had hard unripe tomatoes when you couldn't go 100 ft down the road without seeing a fruit stand. Their meat was probably as low grade as you can get for a sandwich shop.

I really like the Cook-Outs that have opened up in the last few years. The food is extremely cheap and it's by far the fastest drive thru I've ever been in. The only problem is virtually everyting is fried except the cole slaw so there's no healthy choice on the menu.

July 3, 2014 at 10:05 am |
    • Reff

I have my own bad habits, but dude, you eat too much fast food! I'm sure "oatmeal" at McD's has a list of ingredients a paragraph long...Wendy's chili, too. Either way, ugh.

July 3, 2014 at 10:46 am |
  8. Hoeky442

The fact that Taco Bell even exists shows many Americans still don't get it. Taco Bell isn't even allowed to open a chain in my city because our local health code is slightly more stringent than the national one and Taco Bell doesn't qualify as "safe for human consumption". No, I'm not kidding.

July 3, 2014 at 9:06 am |
    • JT

Americans? Are you forgetting that in many of the countries our ethnic food comes from there are no food standards at all? I'll take TAco Bell over an open air meat market if I'm concerned about contamination.

On another note, the cantina bell bowls aren't bad. Sure they aren't as good as Chipotle, but why would I expect them to be?

July 3, 2014 at 9:53 am |
    • yeah

I don't know if it is anymore but their meat use to be marked for animal and military use.

July 3, 2014 at 9:57 am |
    • wootings

I'm sure you're not kidding...you're actually just lying.

What a moron. Please S TF U and G TF O.

July 3, 2014 at 11:24 am |
  9. Bubba

Anyone who eats fast food on a daily basis is a fool and likely a short lived fool since fast food causes hypertension, type 2 diabetes and obesity. I might eat fast food once a month if that but I know plenty of people who eat at fast food restuarants daily or almost daily and not a one is thin or healthy.

July 3, 2014 at 8:20 am |
    • jz

some are hard working minimum wage earner and cant afford to consistently eat anything else.

imo, fools are those who dont think before they speak.

July 3, 2014 at 9:43 am |
      • Ignorance?

My ignorance may be showing, but I have a hard time believing that fast food is cheaper than a home cooked meal. Most frozen dinners are less expensive than a burger and fries–not to mention the cost of soup and/or a sandwich? I don't get it.

July 3, 2014 at 11:25 am |
        • Water Faery

Actually, Healthy Choice or Smart Ones frozen dinners are more expensive than many fast food meals. Other brands of frozen dinners are just as bad for you as fast food. A small "chicken pot pie" has a HUGE amount of carbs and salt.

July 3, 2014 at 11:49 am |
    • i12bphil

Gee, Bubba. I have some really bad news for you. You are eventually going to die and you don't know how or when. Immortality is beyond your grasp and there are no guarantees you will even live beyond today.

July 3, 2014 at 11:18 am |
    • wootings

Virtually everyone I know eats fast food several times a week, and almost every lunch. Actually, the vast majority of them are in *way* better shape than the average American.

Anecdata will bite you in the A$s every time. You can't make any assertions about fast food like you just did...because everybody's different, physiologically, people have different lives and routines and amounts of exercise, and frankly you can eat pretty healthy meals at fast food places if you don't go overboard. And I'm not talking about eating their salads and yogurt either.

July 3, 2014 at 11:27 am |
  10. Daniel Herring

If the price is wrong, the taste does not matter. If the taste is wrong, the price does not matter. This poll will not be accurate until the categories are bundled correctly.

July 3, 2014 at 8:02 am |
    • ndb58

Additionally, quality ingredients is akin to healthiness. I'm with you, Daniel. They need to revise their categories!

July 3, 2014 at 10:11 am |
  11. Factions

Whattaburger, five guys, el capp, white castle, et al are one side of the burger coin. Simple, thin beef patty on white bread buns. That's one style of burger that appeals to a faction of people The other side of the coin is where I am. A thick, meaty patty, I can sink my teeth into that's mostly a meatloaf on an anything-but-white-bread bun.

July 3, 2014 at 7:42 am |
  12. MickyDsPleaz

I used to work at McD'z many years ago. We would server burgers that sat in the warmer for over a few hours. Pick your burger off the floor if we dropped it and put it on the bun. Never washed our hands and sweated all over your food. Oh the funny part they do use real eggs by the way.

July 3, 2014 at 7:41 am |
  13. shut up

Until these corp's finally learn it's best to make food out of food, they won't see me with my family, with my friends, without my friends. Yeah I'm pretty fussy that way I guess, expecting wholesome food instead of chemicals, fillers, byproducts, you know, the cheapest crap they could possibly sell you!

July 3, 2014 at 7:07 am |
    • VladT

I am sure there stock will drop based on your and your family's convictions there, slugger.

Way to take a stand

July 3, 2014 at 9:54 am |
      • goalie35

He didn't say he was taking a stand. He said he was choosing not to die a premature death by eating junk almost not edible for human consumption. Read before you reply. It helps

July 3, 2014 at 11:51 am |
        • VladT

It is actually quite edible....I have eaten it a few times, didn't choke to death, no blockage, etc.

So, quite edible.

July 3, 2014 at 10:18 pm |
  14. shut up

These corp's sell people food that is of questionable quality and safety. The only fast food I eat is at my local deli. I'd rather stand on line for 10 minutes and know at least I'm getting much better quality food. I pay more. No corp's get a dime from me! Win win!

July 3, 2014 at 7:00 am |
    • Really?

Let me get this straight, you'd rather eat the processed cold cuts at a deli than at a fast food chain where the food is, um, processed? Riiiiiiiiight. Go take your rage out on something else.

July 3, 2014 at 7:36 am |
    • Hoeky442

Deli meat is notoriously poor quality. Nothing is more processed or full of chemicals and preservatives than deli meat. Ever wonder why deli meat lasts way longer than fresh meat in a fridge?

July 3, 2014 at 9:13 am |
  15. wakiash

What I prefer is a fast food restaurant that pay's their employees a decent, living wage. Employees who are well paid and content rarely spit in the "secret sauce" or "lick the patties"!

July 3, 2014 at 7:00 am |
    • John

I disagree. If you have the mentality to do something stupid like licking a patty or spitting in the food, you will do it no matter what wage you're paid.

July 3, 2014 at 9:53 am |
  16. fidel

america the fat, slobs, diabetes-infected loves its fast food. oink oink piggies

July 3, 2014 at 6:24 am |
    • i12bphil

Sure fella. Go back to eating bugs and chicken faces.

July 3, 2014 at 11:20 am |
  17. VladT

I wonder how many people answer the way they feel they are "supposed to."

For instance, I have so many friends who always b!@tch about the food at Mickey D's. However, I see them there every so often, and also McDonald's still has lots of customers.

I think its similar to guys who are closet Bronies and say they hate My little pony, but secretly enjoy it.

July 3, 2014 at 5:33 am |
    • Ally

I agree. I think a lot of people try to sound all health conscious on these threads. But the lines at the drive throughs don't lie.

Myself....I love McDonalds fries. I even like their sandwiches. I know it's terrible for me so I keep it to one visit a month or so.

July 3, 2014 at 3:32 pm |

Holy cr@p........moderation??!?!

Blasphemy

July 3, 2014 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Silverwolf

Bingo burger is the best fast food I can think of, any time I can I stop by. Anything they can source locally they do and it's one of the best burgers out there.

July 3, 2014 at 3:45 am |
  19. Aimhere

The biggest chains (McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell) ranking at/near the bottom? No surprise. All they care about is the bottom line, mass-manufacture food to be consistent (consistently bland, that is), and to hell with texture and flavor.

I was surprised that Subway ranked so low, but I suppose there are tastier options (Quiznos comes to mind).

July 2, 2014 at 11:07 pm |
    • Bubba

I don't know where you live, but in Alabama the Quiznos are horrible and the Subways are for the most part pretty good.

July 3, 2014 at 8:21 am |
      • Judy787

Don't know what part of Alabama you live in, but in central Alabama where I live, the Subways are awful. Crappy processed meats and they are extremely stingy with the veggie toppings. I only eat fast food maybe three or four times a year now because the quality is so low.

July 3, 2014 at 10:50 am |
  20. Martin

Who cares what Consumer Reports readers (and I'm one of them) think of the flavor of our fast foods. Instead, CR should concentrate on analyzing the food for contaminants, nutritional content, etc. CR has it all wrong. This is not what we need them to be doing.

July 2, 2014 at 10:58 pm |
  21. TLORop

Got a big king once and the patty was the size of a silver dollar and it was missing the third bun when I complained they pretended like it looked exactly like the advertised and refused to make it right.

July 2, 2014 at 10:34 pm |
  22. pkfops01

Best burger is the one I cook on my grill.

July 2, 2014 at 10:33 pm |
    • VladT

Not sure I believe you, so here's what you need to do.....

Let me know when I can come over, and I'll judge myself. I'll bring some chips, some beer, etc and we'll decide

July 3, 2014 at 5:50 am |
  23. gstlab3

ground beef that is not predigested in the factory with preservatives and sterilized with ammonia would be a starter for me.
    Other than that may be not feeding our cattle with so much of that gmo corn that is swimming in roundup weed killer all of its growing life would be nice too.
    yeah man they feed cattle corn feed that is full of roundup residues and toxins.

July 2, 2014 at 10:06 pm |
    • Xsable

You eat the same gmo corn the cows do, are you toxic? The answer is no. We made it through the first 200 000 years or so eating imperfect food, suck it up and you can do it too...

July 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm |
    • Judy787

I go to the woods and harvest my own red meat. Venison is much healthier than beef and to me tastes better than beef. Producers put so much crap in our livestock now that I'm afraid to eat any of it.

July 3, 2014 at 10:53 am |
  24. soflgirl

Don't have a lot of the mentioned burger places here in South Florida..but my favorite fast food place for a burger is "Steak N Shake."

July 2, 2014 at 10:03 pm |
    • ahoov

Gross, Steak & Shake is awful.

July 2, 2014 at 10:31 pm |
      • mbradleyc

No, Steak n Shake is pretty good for fast food. They have good chili. The little shoe string fries are great and depending on the place the burgers are tasty too.

July 2, 2014 at 11:45 pm |
  25. jerry

Good article trying to convince people fast food is getting better. Now, do something smart and stop at the grocery store on the way home.

July 2, 2014 at 9:50 pm |
    • Xsable

Thanks for figuring it out for everyone else. Everyone has time to cook every night of the week, it is also 1964–go Beatles.

July 2, 2014 at 10:23 pm |
    • Captain Ogre

Have you been to the store lately? It's almost (and in some cases, IS) cheaper to get it to go. At between $6.00-$8.00/lb for common (and lousy tasting) 80/20 hamburger, tomatoes at $4/lb, etc, etc. Oh, and that "chem-corn" you mentioned? $2-$3 an ear. Crap quality foods, and way overpriced- I drop a minimum of $30 every time I check out from one, and that's shopping for the bare basics of a 2-person meal, and shopping for the cheap stuff. I can get a meal at a fast-food joint for two people and spend $15.

July 2, 2014 at 11:25 pm |
      • Jerv

Where the heck do you live? In Virginia we have three ears of corn for .99 and Roma tomatoes .99 a pound. I can pick up a pound of cr appy 80% beef for 3.50.

July 3, 2014 at 9:01 am |
      • ADJ

For $8 a pound, I can buy the organic grass-feed beef hamburger, and the regular 85-15 hamburger is half that price. Ears of corn are currently 19 cents at my local grocery store. Tomatoes are $1.68/pound.

July 3, 2014 at 9:58 am |
  26. yo yo

All fast food is mierda. Stop eating that stuff, help bring down Micky Pee's, Bugger King, and Kaca FC, the Axis of rubbish.

July 2, 2014 at 9:27 pm |
    • Xsable

If that were true nobody would eat at any of them, you are simply wrong..

July 2, 2014 at 10:24 pm |
    • Tar

Why would I do that?

July 2, 2014 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Ctrygrl

For heaven sakes stop by the grocery store and buy a chicken breast of a pack of ground beef,a couple of squash or some broccoli and go home and make dinner. Doesn't take that long, tastes a lot better and is infinitely better for you. Don't eat this crap.

July 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm |
    • Xsable

Not everyone knows how to cook, most don't know how to cook well and none of us have time to do this every night of the week these days so no, it isn't that simple.

July 2, 2014 at 10:26 pm |
      • ADJ

There are these books that can teach you how to cook, they are called "cook books". Step-by-step instructions! Or heck, just get on Pinterest, same thing!

Do I have time to cook every night? Nope. I'm a mom and my husband and I both work full-time. I usually prep casseroles and crock-pot meals on the weekends so they are really to go for the rest of the week. Or there are things I can whip up in 5-10 minutes, cook some fish in olive oil on the stovetop and steam some veggies in microwave, make sandwiches, make chef-salads with leftover meat/veggies from earlier in the week, etc.

July 3, 2014 at 10:20 am |
      • Judy787

I spend three hours (max.) in the kitchen on Saturday or Sunday afternoon and prepare the meals for my family for an entire week. Some I put in the refrigerator, some in the freezer. All I have to do is warm it up when I get home from work. Cooking isn't hard and doesn't take that much time. People just have to put a little effort into eating decent, healthy food. The lazy will always just go to the drive-through.

July 3, 2014 at 10:59 am |
    • Tar

...Or I could go through the Taco Bell drive thru.

July 2, 2014 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Lee

It's all crap. Take your pick.

July 2, 2014 at 8:14 pm |
  29. jriverwalker

all of the above,"

July 2, 2014 at 8:11 pm |
  30. McGee

When you go for fast food, you know what you're getting: garbage. Easy, sometimes tasty, high-fat, exceedingly unhealthy garbage. I'm not hating – I go once a week for a fast food burger. All I want is speedy service. When I order a Big Mac, it shouldn't take 10 minutes of me sitting in a drive thru waiting for the food.

July 2, 2014 at 7:52 pm |
    • Xsable

You order what you think is garbage on purpose? If that is true you should rethink your life... What is most likely true is that you actually like it, like most of us and its convenient. That's why it exists, that's why these businesses flourish.

July 2, 2014 at 10:28 pm |
      • VladT

A deep-fried snickers bar is garbage too.....but it is ok to indulge in it.

July 3, 2014 at 5:47 am |
      • McGee

I never said I didn't like it. I just know what I'm putting into my body isn't good for me.

July 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm |
  31. Thinking things through

The only chain I go to (voluntarily) is Panera's and I am selective about what I order there. They just opened a Chipotle's in the area, however, and I plan to try that one, just to see.

July 2, 2014 at 7:43 pm |
  32. neondancer

Great, now I'm craving Pollo Loco and there's none where I'm living now. Thanks, Obama.

July 2, 2014 at 7:22 pm |
    • VladT

Hey – Everyone knows it was those dang tea partiers along with Cheney who thought El Pollo Loco was an undocumented illegal fast food joint, making them obsolete except for back alleys in Southern California and El Paso.

July 3, 2014 at 5:47 am |
  33. Karnov

Worst tasting fast food (survey is about taste, not quality of ingredients)
    1. Subway – by far the blandest, saddest fast food out there.
    2. Taco Bell – on par with dog food (which I have eaten actually...long story)
    3. Chipotle – Fresh ingredients. Fairly priced. But taste is so early 2000's. Way overrated. But then again I'm a food snob and when I live in LA and have better options all around me.
    4. Burger King – Haven't been to one in seven years. Wonder why?
    5. 5 Guys – Ain't nothin special kids!

July 2, 2014 at 7:03 pm |
    • carnivore

You must be a Vegan !! :) I agree with most of the names you mentioned, except Chipotle ... I had burritos several places but they got their meat right, full of flavor and moist !!! But again I am not in LA !! cheers ;)

July 2, 2014 at 7:17 pm |
    • Xsable

You sure eat at a lot of shitty places for a food snob.. Since when do taste trends have a decade attached to them? Or have you gotten food mixed with fashion? Personally, I think cords are both delicious and healthy when in season...

July 2, 2014 at 10:34 pm |
      • Jerv

Gawd dayum, I'm laughing my azz off! Thanks for the laugh.

July 3, 2014 at 9:04 am |
    • pmclean1319@gmail.com

How dare you! Five Guys makes excellent burgers! I'm not sure what you're expecting from a hamburger, dude, but Five Guys hits everything perfectly.

July 3, 2014 at 11:43 am |
  34. Founder

In-N-Out has ok burgers, fries are a joke. Their restaurants and staff have always been the best in fast food. Five Guys? Buy a Wendy's Double, pour a tablespoon of grease on it, pay $2.00 more, and you're there.

July 2, 2014 at 6:59 pm |
    • Ally

I agree. I've had 1 Five Guys burger in my life and it was so greasy I'll never go back.

July 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm |
  35. Richard Thwaties

So the take away here is that Americans would rather have good taste and cleanliness doesn't matter. So Pedro Hamburguesa, who flips burgers at Micky-D's can handle my food with his bare hands, knowing good and well that he used the bathroom, and though he washed his hands, grabbed the handle of the door where 25 other people that day grabbed after they used the bathroom and didn't wash. As a result, Pedro's hands were contaminated by traces of fecal matter which was transferred to the handful of lettuce that he put on my Big Micky.

Cleanliness matters more than taste. Pass the word!

July 2, 2014 at 6:56 pm |
    • stayhomecrybaby

Then STAY THE HE!! HOME if your that paranoid. Most Healthy people can take it. Keep your OCD home and COOK FOR YOUR DAM SELF!!!!

July 2, 2014 at 7:14 pm |
      • Richard Thwaties

No OCD here, chump,. I regularly dine at home with my family when I can. Unlike many, Both my wife and I are quite talented in the kitchen. But also unlike you, I travel for a living. When I am on the road, thousands of miles from home, I have no choice but to dine in places that I rely upon to be clean. America's food service establishments have a responsibility to the public to operate in a way so as not to endanger the public health. That includes food handling, food storage and worker hygiene. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that some pathogens are not of the routine kind that a healthy immune system can resist. But then my impression is that you're not a rocket scientist.

Now go back to your trailer and we'll call you when the bus leaves for Micky-D's. They are serving E-coli O157-H7 tonight that was brought in by Pedro, who works weekends in a local swine slaughtering facility. By the way, his colleague DeWayne forgot to refill the soap dispenser in the lavatory.

July 3, 2014 at 9:40 am |
    • Xsable

Dear Richard, This is Pedro Hamburgueras. I would personally like to assure you that not only do I keep my hands clean both at my work station but also after all my bathroom breaks in between as do all my fellow colleagues because that is Mcdonalds policy and has been for years. Can you say the same when you are cooking up your manwich in between watching old episodes of stargate sg-1? I would also like to apologize for taking your job here at Mcdonalds but apparently your obsessive hand washing and casual racism made your employment here untenable.

July 2, 2014 at 10:53 pm |
      • mbradleyc

Hey hey hey!! Stargate rules. You don't have to be a jerk just because he;s a jerk.

July 2, 2014 at 11:51 pm |
        • Richard Thwaties

How is pointing out an observation being a jerk? Perhaps my example hit home?

July 3, 2014 at 9:51 am |
      • Richard Thwaties

Dear Pedro.

If you read my earlier post, you would find that I acknowledged that you wash your hands when you use the facility. I appreciate that. However, I also pointed to the fact that Buba, the truck driver and Alex, the snotty little kid from down the street didn't. And because your restaurant. And because your restaurant is trying to save money, they have replaced paper towels with a hand dryer. So after you are squeaky clean, when you reach to PULL the door open, and grab the same handle as dirty Buba and snotty Billy, you pick up their pathogens that you then pass on to customers like me.

If you would like to read a moving story about this problem, pick up a book by Robin Cook called Toxin. You will most certainly change your mind.

July 3, 2014 at 9:48 am |
  36. Anthony

Whataburger beats all of those.

July 2, 2014 at 6:51 pm |
    • Dennis

Absolutely WhataBurger is right up there, although 5 guys is pretty good.

July 2, 2014 at 7:03 pm |
  37. Craig Millett

I never go to chain restaurants.

July 2, 2014 at 5:44 pm |
    • McVonalopolous

I woke up this morning wondering if Craig Millett eats at chain restaurants...I can sleep easy now.

July 2, 2014 at 7:09 pm |
      • VladT

I hate typing "Lol," you have just made me

July 3, 2014 at 5:44 am |
    • Thedoc

It's because you are too cool Craig

July 2, 2014 at 9:48 pm |
    • Tar

Wow Craig you are so awesome

July 2, 2014 at 10:29 pm |
    • pmclean1319@gmail.com

Too bad I'm not Craig Millett. I heard he was super cool and healthy.

July 3, 2014 at 11:50 am |
  38. Craig

When I order scrambled eggs, I want them to come out of a shell, like they do when they come out of the chicken.

July 2, 2014 at 5:31 pm |
    • Thinking things through

Actually, I agree. I cannot digest scrambled eggs that don't come out of a shell - I have no idea what happens between the shell and that milk carton which "liquid egg product" is poured from, but it rips up a number on my gut.

July 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm |
    • VladT

Hear hear! Tried McDonald's breakfast......they're sqaure "egg" thing was drivel.

Had it been real scrambled eggs, it might have been tasty

July 3, 2014 at 5:43 am |
  39. Craig

I just want the darn thing to look like the one on the menu!

July 2, 2014 at 5:24 pm |
    • AleeD®

That made me laugh! Thanks for the morning chuckle.

July 3, 2014 at 6:42 am |
  40. peteis

The bottom line is when food is generalized to the point that it is required to for chains and franchises the flavor of the food is going to be set at the lowest common denominator.

July 2, 2014 at 5:12 pm |
    • beaver cleaver

What a bunch of food snobs America is becoming. Boo-hoo, I want to go to a expensive French restaurant and get 4 snails soaked in garlic and order a $75 bottle of wine. I'll feel so sophisticated and thoroughly enjoy getting ripped off. I am not saying we should all start eating what those Duck Dynasty red neck hillbillys eat, but go out to a fast food restaurant and enjoy it without the guilt! Screw those foodies! Look people, round up the gang and head over to Dairy Queen for $5 lunch, fresh food brought to your table with a sundae! Go to Little Caesars and get a $5 pizza-delicious! Bon Appetit America!!!

July 2, 2014 at 5:45 pm |
      • Thinking things through

I don't know what the Duck Dynasty folk eat, but if they're hunting down their own critters, its bound to taste far better than most of the fast food stuff, and cost no where near the price that's got you up and worried about it.

July 2, 2014 at 7:51 pm |
      • VladT

Dude, I can't even imagine what type of track your train of thought is riding on.....

Does it rain on whatever planet you currently live?

July 3, 2014 at 5:42 am |
      • Judy787

The majority of my meat comes from the woods or my private lake. No hormones, no pink slime, no fillers, just pure lean meat. No, I'm not some in-bred redneck. I am a female, business professional who prefers for her food to be pure and unadulterated. Oh, grow most of my fruits and veggies too – no pesticides either.

July 3, 2014 at 11:15 am |
        • pmclean1319@gmail.com

You do realize that most people can't do that, and don't own enough land to be able to provide for their own food like that?

July 3, 2014 at 11:47 am |
  41. hopellessinohio

A tea party comment in a food article, now that's funny.

July 2, 2014 at 4:55 pm |
  42. Moto Moto

Los Pollos Hermanos beats them all. My personal favorite.

July 2, 2014 at 4:29 pm |
  43. A.Rae

I can't stand Chik-Fil-A, the coating is too mushy, and neither can anyone in my family but clearly lots of people love it... Fried chicken should be crisp to me, or why bother...

July 2, 2014 at 4:25 pm |
    • Ray Rae

Totally with you on this one. It started by weaseling into federal food dollars given to universities for more healthy eating alternatives. What a joke. With this HUGE government handout it has expanded its miserable renditions of chicken sandwiches and fries and the Tea party masses can't get enough. Bury their food in their sauces till you can't taste it no more, maybe then you can choke it down.

July 2, 2014 at 4:38 pm |
      • Dover

So you are saying that you have to choke your chicken down?

July 2, 2014 at 5:03 pm |
      • VladT

With your little rant there, I have to ask.....

Whatever you're smoking hasn't increased your appetitie for Chick Fil-a?

July 3, 2014 at 5:41 am |
    • JSB

So if you want to burn the crap out of the chicken breading why bother with breading at all fire up some nice rock hard glaze and make the chicken totally inedible.

There is an art to breading anything and too hard is worse than too soft.

July 2, 2014 at 6:21 pm |
    • Dennis

Agreed. Chik-filet is tasteless.

July 2, 2014 at 7:06 pm |
  44. Old Enough

All fast food, no matter what or where, TOO MUCH SALT.

July 2, 2014 at 4:21 pm |
    • BK KING

Totally agree with you about the salt issue... I work at a fast food and we use salt dispensers that are pre-set to distribute a certain amount of salt. Ask me why I don't touch the fries at my work place...? The amount of salt that comes out makes ME gag! We are told by company officials that over salting causes thirst and it encourages customers to buy more drinks...no lie! It's all about lining the companies pockets....cause they sure don't pay their workers much for doing all the dirty work for them.

July 2, 2014 at 6:25 pm |
      • Dennis

Uh, most of them give free refills. It doesn't compute.

July 2, 2014 at 7:08 pm |
      • jwalker5524

Considering you can refill your drink as many times as you want at pretty much all big fast-food chains, it would really damage their profits more than anything.

July 2, 2014 at 7:46 pm |
      • VladT

Worked at McDonalds, Del Taco, and Wendy's in college, so not sure which place you worked at that is pre-set.

Also, yeah, corporate profits.......those $1 any size drinks at McDonalds sure is destroying household incomes, yet making those CEO fatcats wealthy beyond our wildest dreams

July 3, 2014 at 5:39 am |
  45. Michael

July 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm |
    • Michael is dumb

"its all disgusting and expensive. you can eat at a regular restaurant or get a healthy salad for same price or cheaper than fast food. fat americans".

What regular restaurant can you go to and order off a dollar menu?

July 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm |
      • Bad Form

The copying posters' comments into your reply is unnecessary.. Trust me, we see it.

July 3, 2014 at 6:36 am |
    • denim

You can get a meal at a real restaurant for under $10 in a reliable way all across the USA? Please, what's your secret?

July 2, 2014 at 4:30 pm |
    • Tar

"you can eat at a regular restaurant or get a healthy salad"
      Yeah, I CAN do that.

July 2, 2014 at 10:30 pm |
    • Xsable

I'm not fat, or American, but I can't seem to figure out a way to eat fine dining for cheaper than 5 bucks. Are you some kind of euro magician douchebag? If so, reveal your trick–and take a bath.

July 2, 2014 at 11:00 pm |
    • Aprtopaz

You do realize that salads served in restaurants are actually higher in calories and fat than their chicken fingers & fries combo, right? People think they're eating healthy because they have a bowl of veggies... never mind that it has cheese, meat, dressing, nuts, and/or bread crumbs on top.

July 2, 2014 at 11:51 pm |
  46. DebGold

Location–time is limited in this world and where the restaurant it located is often where we go....on the way to another event in our busy life.

July 2, 2014 at 4:13 pm |
  47. what

uh... why is it that the employee who posted it was also let go? that is, for the taco picture. I would have liked the employee who posted the picture to stay at that job and make sure they post everything.

July 2, 2014 at 4:12 pm |
  48. Nostril

That must be the legendary lost photo of Ronald McDonald's audition for "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo."

July 2, 2014 at 2:55 pm |
  49. AleeD®

1. Quality of ingredients
    2. Service
    1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. Shenanigans.

July 2, 2014 at 1:46 pm |
  50. Consumer

Chic-Fil-A gets it right.

July 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm |
    • Orange Thug

I've never had any food from Chik-Fil-A that was close to warm or close to fresh. Just my experience; perhaps it was the particular restaurants I visited.

July 2, 2014 at 4:15 pm |
      • Hex

This is really interesting. I've absolutely NEVER had a problem with this chain. It's always hot...it's also the fastest drive through I've ever seen next to Raising Caines.

July 2, 2014 at 4:22 pm |
        • Joseph

Been to Chik-Fil-A in Maryland and the Food truck they use in DC and every time it is an amazingly long line and wait. The Food is good/okay but as far as fast no way.

July 2, 2014 at 7:44 pm |
      • M

It must have been the restaurant you went to. My experience with them has been good overall.

July 2, 2014 at 4:25 pm |
        • StevenR

Chik-Fil-A is disgusting. Cold, soggy and overpriced. Probably just their deluded christian customer base fawning over their religious corporate undertones rather than the food quality.

July 2, 2014 at 5:04 pm |
        • andrew

Obviously you are gay and have let your immoral lifestyle cloud your fast food judgement.

July 2, 2014 at 5:30 pm |
        • scootfl78

Andrew, your comments show you clearly have no idea what it is to be a morally decent person. Were you raised to be hateful and just don't know any better or is being terrible what gets you through the day? Either way you should seek help for the safety of those around you.

July 2, 2014 at 6:14 pm |
        • rootytooty

scootfl78. Seems hypocritical you would harp on andrew for his comments but not on stevenr's. 'Deluded christian fan base fawning over their religious corporation undertones'. Are you implying stevenr is somehow not hateful? I am not religious in any sense of the word and do not have an opinion on anyone's sexual orientation. But I do love chik-fi-la.

July 2, 2014 at 9:19 pm |
        • VladT

Sorry, not Christian, pro-gay marriage, and not the biggest fried chicken fan in the world.

However, if I am forced to eat fast food with a group of friends, Chick-Fil-A is usually the best on a consistent basis. A decent sandwich, and exemplary when compared to fast food standards.

And rootytooty is right.....either hate everyone, or don't. But don't be a hypocrite and critique one form while allowing the other.

July 3, 2014 at 5:36 am |