July 1st, 2014

The Travel Channel pulls Adam Richman's new show after the "Man vs. Food" star ranted on social media.

Richman, who has recently been showing off his 60-pounds weight loss on Instagram, used the hashtag #thinspiration on a recent post. After a commenter informed him that the term is highly sensitive and often used by young women cheering on each others' potentially dangerous attempts at weight loss, Richman responded with a tirade that included a suggestion that the person attempt suicide.

Adam Richman Instagram

Richman's new show, "Man Finds Food" was slated for a July 2 premiere on the Travel Channel, but has been pulled indefinitely from the lineup. Richman has issued an apology that stated in part: “I’ve long struggled with my body image and have worked very hard to achieve a healthy weight. I’m incredibly sorry to everyone I’ve hurt.”

Previously:
5@5 – What chefs stress out about

1. cheap Blues jersey

Buy wholesale cheap Dolphins jerseys china For Kids And Women
    cheap Blues jersey

August 22, 2014 at 8:39 am |
  2. Hmmm...

The article says someone informed him of the history of 'thinspiration'. Whether they did it respectfully, or in a disrespectful manner is impossible to determine from this article. Regardless, he should have carefully considered his response, and how it might affect his livelihood, before posting.

And if he has truly 'long struggled with [his] body image,' why was he doing a show like Man vs. Food? His explanation certainly doesn't align with his career choice.

July 23, 2014 at 2:25 pm |
  3. situationalawareness

I notice quite a few posts here are missing everything about it, and focusing on his weight.
    He's allowed to say what he wants, and as usual there are reprocussions for every action you make. Pissing in the face of people who feed the person who pays you tends to be a bad idea.

July 3, 2014 at 5:07 pm |
  4. Bubba

How do you keep liberal idiots busy?

July 3, 2014 at 10:20 am |
    • Meat Prep 101

Have Rachel Maddow tell them what to be offended about next.

July 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm |
  5. omg

Who cares. Worry about your own life.

July 2, 2014 at 7:42 pm |
  6. Thinking things through

I never heard of this guy before this moment. I guess getting fired is is 15-second claim to fame!

July 2, 2014 at 7:25 pm |
    • Thinking things through

And no, there shouldn't be any problem with his hashtag, but I suspect both the person who didn't like it and he need serious Chill Pills.

July 2, 2014 at 7:33 pm |
    • Ajax

I watched his show once. It was pretty pointless. Mostly about overeating and getting drunk. Maybe after all that weight loss, he should have picked up a doughnut before he picked up his phone.

July 3, 2014 at 12:34 am |
      • Ally

I think you're mixing Adam's show up with an older one starring a different guy. I can't remember the name. I've seen many Man V Food episodes and it's never about getting drunk.

July 3, 2014 at 4:02 pm |
    • John

Man vs. Food was very good at a dinner table.
      There were many uncommon but very good meals in this country's hot spots, and there was a fat amateur guy competing against peers and sometimes pros in eating contests.

It looked delicious and yet not disgusting at your own dinner table.
      Good show.

July 3, 2014 at 1:39 am |
    • Meat Prep 101

Nobody will ever hear of you. U mad bro?

July 3, 2014 at 3:39 pm |
  7. Chris

Twitter? Does Twit ring a bell? It is all about twits (silly foolish people) thinking that everythign they say has meaning. These are all people who yell at their TVs. Meaningless. Now they just do it online. The funny thing is to read stuff from people like "Mark". He really believes his opinion matters. Rants. Bloviating. I'm sure he is a lot of fun to have a beer with, if one likes negativeness. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr are all just ways for the masses to feel important and "heard". Nobody will remember "Mark" tomorrow.

July 2, 2014 at 5:26 pm |
    • situationalawareness

I think of twitter as another version of some place like Fletcher memorial. (pink floyd?)
      A nice little room away from everyone else that they can talk and hear their own voice.

July 3, 2014 at 5:04 pm |
  8. Average Joe

I am so tired of people thinking that its ok to be fat and loud about it. It is not cool being fat people! You are lazy, achieve far less, and heavily tax the healthcare system for the rest of us.

July 2, 2014 at 3:44 pm |
    • Carn E. Vore

Unlike skinny healthy folks who live longer lives, suffering more maladies as they get older and costing the healthcare system even more as their pointless yet healthy lives drag on into their ninth decade.

Me, I'm drinking whiskey, smoking a cigar, and waiting for my ribs to finish on the smoker. Don't like it? I don't care.

July 7, 2014 at 1:01 am |
  9. nick

He beats up a 5 lb. burrito and a tower of buffalo wings, so now he thinks he can take on the world? What a tough guy.

July 2, 2014 at 1:30 pm |
  10. Mark

The issue here is some fat lazy person did not like his comment and rudely attacked him. He then defended himself by attacking back. The real problem here is that everyone runs to the side of some fat lazy cow that does not even try to lose the weight "it" put on while sitting behind a computer attacking others because due to not having a life like "it" would like to have...

July 2, 2014 at 12:28 pm |
    • CNN Award Committee

Mark –
      Congratulations! You are today's winner in the "Stupid Post of the Day" contest. Please call CNN at 404-827-1500 to inquire about how to claim your prize.

July 2, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
      • Mark

LOL, nice try but most of the writers for CNN deserve this prize far more then me....

July 2, 2014 at 2:47 pm |
      • Mark

I know CNN is not in to doing research before posting "news" (i.e. the missing boy in Detroit hiding behind a 5 gallon drum... it was a 55 gallon drum!) but maybe just maybe your could have bothered to read Amber Sarah's article you'll discover that she started this whole thing by asking her Twitter followers to spam him with hateful messages. But it is I with the stupid post of the day, not CNN with the stupid article of the day....

July 2, 2014 at 3:27 pm |
    • Margo

Lemme guess, Mark - you don't get laid much, do you? Or did mommy not love you enough? There must be something at the root of your misogyny. You need to seek professional help.

July 2, 2014 at 2:48 pm |
      • Mark

Fat is fat and lazy is lazy. But the PC world here in the US wants us to feel sorry for the fat and lazy while they try to claim it as a disease... LOL

July 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm |
        • Margo

There's a name for the mental illness/disease that callous, unfeeling people without consciences like you have, Mark - it's called sociopathy. That's a far worse problem in our country than your perceived "PC world" problem.

July 2, 2014 at 3:00 pm |
      • Mark

Nice try, but I feel for people just like you. I feel sorry that you are so weak and blind to the facts. So blind that you make excuses for everyone and everything just so you can sleep at night believing you are a good person. Did you see any of the comments he was "over" reacting to? Did you read any of the ones that wished him death? Or is it easier for you to read one article? The "cow" I speak of attacked him and scolded him over using a hash tag that he never heard of. He lost weight and she was jealous.

July 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm |
        • And there you have it...

The a$$hole gospel, according to Mark. Amen.

July 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm |
        • john john dave

Mark, you are right about everything. The communists on this website are all fools.

July 2, 2014 at 7:24 pm |
    • Orange Thug

I chose you to receive my reply, which is actually directed at all the commenters who apparently have failed reading comprehension. Offense was taken to the hashtag used by Mr. Richman as it is also a term used by bulimics and anorexics to congratulate their compatriots on unhealthy weight loss. Richman's response was a bit over the top, but who gets do decide his hashtag for him or condemn him for his choice in exercising his First Amendment rights? You?

July 2, 2014 at 4:19 pm |
      • MamaT

*cough* Not a 1st Amendment issue *cough*

(No, really. It's not)

July 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm |
    • Ajax

"because due" ?.

July 3, 2014 at 12:36 am |
    • Meat Prep 101

The US is filled with liberal losers with nothing to lose due to their dependence on the government, so they will start these feuds and then become outraged when people respond back to their hate-filled tripe.

July 3, 2014 at 3:40 pm |
  11. Banyon

Was just having a pleasant sit down in the office dunney when some bloke enters the next stall and proceeds to pollute the room with his foul odour. Oi, mate! Give us a mercy flush next time!

July 2, 2014 at 10:14 am |
  12. Noralmt

Reblogged this on Scoop Social's Blog.

July 1, 2014 at 7:03 pm |
  13. HeyHey

People should be able to say what they want without this kind of repercussion. If you don't like what he said, you don't have to watch his show.

July 1, 2014 at 5:10 pm |
    • Normandy

and, imbecile, if a production company doesnt wnat a raving idiot to host a show on their network, they can cancel the contract-see how that works?

July 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm |
      • Meat Prep 101

So The View should be cancelled then?

July 3, 2014 at 3:41 pm |
        • Carn E. Vore

I'd almost believe in a god if the View got cancelled.

July 7, 2014 at 1:03 am |
  14. Mo

Sure, anyone can say anything we want, but there seems to be a distinct lack of respect and decency in how we converse with one another in recent years (decades?). You may at some point be informed that things you've said hurt other people. Sometimes it's superficial, but sometimes it has real merit. Just because it doesn't harm you doesn't mean it doesn't harm anyone else. A great writer once said "If you put something out in the world then you own every interpretation of it, not just the ones you like".
    It's no skin off my back to say "I'm sorry I hurt your feelings" if I offend someone. I can admit that I sometimes speak without thinking, and sometimes I unintentionally say something hurtful to other people. I'm sure he felt hurt to be called out for something he was quite proud of, so he let his emotion speak for him rather than his brain. As rational adults it behooves us to moderate what we say and behave like, well, adults. As the late George Thompson said "Words which rise readily to the lips create the greatest speech you'll ever live to regret". Or put more simply: If it felt good to say it, you probably shouldn't have.

(I think canceling a show over it is pretty silly though)

July 1, 2014 at 3:47 pm |
    • GetReal2014

Agree. The show was entertaining and provided jobs for a lot of regular people behind the scenes.
      PC police screw up more that anything else.

July 2, 2014 at 11:00 am |
  15. It's True

He's a liberal and hatin is what Liberals do best.

July 1, 2014 at 3:32 pm |
    • kgkg62

in every conversation there is one retard that tries to portray everything according to their own politics.

July 1, 2014 at 5:08 pm |
      • Jim

Amen to that !

July 1, 2014 at 5:40 pm |
      • Social Police?

"Retard"?! Really?! Wow!! Even more inappropriate then the tweets the article was about! Bravo for sinking even lower, moron!

July 1, 2014 at 6:57 pm |
        • FeeFiFoFum

Oh. So you can use 'moron', but not 'retard'? A fine line, eh?

July 1, 2014 at 7:44 pm |
    • Captain Slapaho

You make a GREAT point...more hate (by far) is spewed by the left.

July 1, 2014 at 8:41 pm |
    • GetReal2014

He's not a liberal or he would be too PC to say anything.
      Another casualty of the PC police. I'm sick of this SH!T.

July 2, 2014 at 10:57 am |
  16. naturelinds

I follow him on Twitter and over the years have seen him belittle people SO many times. He is rude & crude! Here is another article from January. I watched this happen. He's a DICK!

July 1, 2014 at 3:26 pm |
    • Meat Prep 101

So are you, based on the comments I've read here. Should you lose your job?

July 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm |
      • Meat Prep 400

Wow you sure like to sprinkle stupidity in all your replies on this thread don't you.

July 30, 2014 at 4:55 pm |
  17. Arthur in the Garden!

Opsie!

July 1, 2014 at 3:20 pm |
  18. Kim

Normally I empathize with people who speak their mind and then get chastised for not being politically correct, but this was over the top. I don't have a problem with his initial hashtag as I think he is proud of his weight loss, as he should be. However, when will people learn that you should not say everything that comes to your mind and then think you can apologize later and all will be well. My mother always said you cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube, and I think it is very true. I do believe that we should have the right to free speech, but not at the expense of outright vitriol that has no necessity.

July 1, 2014 at 3:06 pm |
  19. ATLien

He was hangry.

July 1, 2014 at 3:05 pm |
  20. Chill

Whatever happened to taking the higher road? Rising above? Having an honest discussion instead of flying off the handle? How about a little perspective? It's not PC, it's just being respectful.

July 1, 2014 at 2:57 pm |
  21. Grapel

The only possible excuse is that he was blogging while drink. If so, the man needs to put down the bottle.

July 1, 2014 at 2:50 pm |
  22. Jake Small

Whenever something like this happens I'm always amazed (although I shouldn't be) at how the comments reflect the non-existent grasp most Americans have on how free speech works. Please understand that the First Amendment only applies to actions by the government only, not to provide companies (like television channels, for instance.)

July 1, 2014 at 2:44 pm |
    • Nate

Actually, the Constitution says that free speech is an inalienable right given to us by our creator. Now I suppose what you're trying to say is that this private business has the freedom to hire or fire hosts for any or no reason and doing so is not a violation of a host's inalienable right to free speech. And I suppose you're also trying to say the Constitution doesn't provide the authority to federal, state, or local governments to limit an individual's inalienable right to free speech, but I'm not clear how your statement is applicable to anything.

July 1, 2014 at 10:42 pm |
      • Jake Small

My response was directed to the earlier post "so tired of people saying what is on their mind and being censured for it. Apparently 'free speech' has been long forgotten."

Private companies do have the right to censure speech whether you're tired of it or not.

July 2, 2014 at 8:29 am |
        • BoLoMT

You might want to look up the meanings of censure and censor.

Eddie used the word censure correctly.

July 2, 2014 at 5:43 pm |
      • MamaT

May I?

A quick primer on the 1st Amendment.

Well, it doesn't mean you can anything you like without repercussions. If you call your boss an ass, he can legally fire you for doing so. 1st Amendment does not protect you.

You can legally join that now-dead pseudo-religious idiot and protest military funerals..as long as you keep your distance (in terms of not trespassing).

You can be an ass on a message board and be banned forever. Not a 1st Amendment issue.

You can leave obscene messages on a news site, and be banned forever for doing so. Again, not a 1st Amendment issue.

Your teen can submit a well-thought out piece to the school's newspaper, and it can legally be edited or outright rejected.

Now a quick primer on what the 1st Amendment actually says.

We start with "Congress shall not..." . Okay, so we're being told that Congress is not allowed to do ..... something. In this case, Congress isn't allowed to make laws that would infringe on your rights to say something bad, form your own religion and a bit more stuff after that.

So what does that actually mean? Can you boil it down, Mom? Yes, I can do that.

It means that a message forum or message board can delete your comments and accounts. It means that there can be severe repercussions if you say "bomb!" at the airport. Very simply, it means that anyone other than the Government can indeed control your speech.

"Mom, you're amazeballs. That makes total sense! So why do my friends keep complaining that their teacher isn't allowed to punish them if they're being asshats?"

I have no idea, son. No idea. Perhaps they have asshat parents who don't understand this stuff.

July 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm |
  23. Madam Poorboy

“I’ve long struggled with my body image and have worked very hard to achieve a healthy weight". Uh maybe Adam should stop stuffing his face in disgusting eating competitions if he is struggling to maintain his weight and body image? Does he struggle when cashing his paycheck to do such absurd things in the first place? Maintain a healthy diet or suffer the consequences, and stop whining about it.

July 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm |
    • RC

He doesn't do eating compet!tions any more. Hasn't for a long time. How do you think he lost 60lbs.?
      If you think it's so " disgusting", then go back to watching Jerry Springer.

July 2, 2014 at 10:35 am |
      • Madam Poorboy

Sorry I really don't know how Adam Richman lost 60 lbs, just saying if he's struggling to finish a 5-lb hamburger in under 2 minutes, he shouldn't be complaining about struggling with his weight and body image, which he states he's been battling for a LONG time. Notice he did say long time, which would also imply it was while Man vs. Food. Guess with the types of replies you're launching, I wouldn't expect you to comprehend much more than what going on in Adam's life. I wish him all the best with Walmart commercials and anger management classes.

July 2, 2014 at 12:54 pm |
        • Meat Prep 101

So you're ignorant...why bother showing that off?

July 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm |
      • Meat Prep 400

Guy does a food eating show and long struggles with weight, so I'm supposed to congratulate him doing something normal? Jerry Springer would be a step up for the stupid comments you and Meat Prep post on here. Go watch your Richman shows, seems you're both well suited.

July 30, 2014 at 4:57 pm |
  24. lisa walker

every one makes such a big deal out of every word someone says (but it's okay for the commentator to give him crap )

July 1, 2014 at 2:22 pm |
  25. Ally

I don't get the censorship that's emerged on social media sites. But you also have to deal with the repercussions of what you put out there. I always read through a post before hitting send and ask myself if I'd be ok with my mom or my boss reading this.

July 1, 2014 at 2:11 pm |
  26. Seriously Now

Yes, it's Adam Richman that is the cause of pro-anorexia, not TV, magazines, the Fashion Industry, the Music Industry, Pop Culture, and the Internet. Thank God for the vigilant watchdogs at xoJane like Amber Sarah for getting down to the meat of the matter... Here's a new acronym for you, Amber – AFR (Absolutely F***ing Ridiculous).

July 1, 2014 at 2:07 pm |
  27. Keith

Not sure what happened to "free speech" in the USA??? ... somehow Social Media has taken on a watchdog role ... not really convinced that's its role... those folk which were offended by his harsh comments could have certainly commented on the comment. Censorship of any kind is bad ....

July 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm |
    • dpeters11

This isn't a first amendment issue. He is free to say what he wants, Travel Channel is free to continue or terminate their relationship as they see fit. Free speech doesn't apply here.

July 1, 2014 at 3:16 pm |
      • Walt

You shouldn't trouble people like Keith with facts. It confuses them.

July 2, 2014 at 10:16 am |
      • MamaT

Thank you. If I'd seen your comment first I wouldn't have responded to someone else...in what ended up being way too long. Cheers to someone who actually understands it!

July 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm |
  28. kwdragon

I am a fan of Adam Richman, but his comments went too far. Were the people who called him out being uncessarily picky? Sure. They are called trolls for a reason. Should he have posted those nasty rants? Not so much. If you are a public figure, take a deep breath and calm youself before replying on social media. It will be worth it in the long run.

July 1, 2014 at 1:32 pm |
    • charlotte travis

Dosnt matter to me what he said dosnt bother me at all I watch his shows and will continue to do so, He shouldnt of started it if he didnt want adam to finish it sorry NO sympathy here.

July 1, 2014 at 2:25 pm |
      • Egon

You sound like a fattie. How much do you weigh, Petunia?

July 2, 2014 at 10:18 am |
  29. Eddie

So tired of people saying what is on their mind and being censured for it. Apparently 'free speech' has been long forgotten.

I personally (and women should be too) get annoyed by women that portray women as gullible and intellectually unable to make intelligent choices – that they aren't bright enough to discern good ideas from bad. If I were a woman,,, young or old, I would be upset and insulted by the suggestion that my gender wasn't intellectually capable of making informed choices by the woman that was replying to Mr. Richman's observations. Richman should be proud of his accomplishment and he will live a healthier life for it. We spend so much time in our society worried about people feeling 'marginalized' by the success of someone else's efforts – enough, already. And Mr. Richman,,, hope a more insightful media outlet picks up your show and you continue to succeed. You don't have anything to apologize for and should be very proud of your significant efforts at the weight loss. Great job!

July 1, 2014 at 1:30 pm |
    • Mememem

Amen, Brother.

July 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm |
    • charlotte travis

AMEN

July 1, 2014 at 2:26 pm |
    • MamaT

A quick primer on the 1st Amendment.

First, it doesn't mean you can anything you like without repercussions. If you call your boss an ass, he can legally fire you for doing so. 1st Amendment does not protect you.

Now a quick primer on what the 1st Amendment actually says.

So what does that actually mean? Can you boil it down, Mom? Yes, I can do that.

I have no idea, son. No idea.

July 3, 2014 at 5:34 pm |
  30. RichardHead

Adam Who ??

July 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm |
  31. JellyBean

Man those comments were harsh.

July 1, 2014 at 1:22 pm |
    • Mememem

They were, but then, I don't see exactly what the other posters had to say, either. Only what Adam said in reply. Perhaps they went over the line first?
      Not that two "wrongs" make a "right". But as Eddie says, we are supposed to have free speech – and that includes things that are really unpleasant, you know? The network has the right to not air the show. Pissed off fans don't have to watch him.
      We are supposed to be free, but everyday we wrap ourselves tighter and tighter in chains of our own making...

July 1, 2014 at 1:55 pm |
      • MamaT

Eddie doesn't understand the First Amendment.

July 3, 2014 at 5:35 pm |