June 19th, 2014

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

Of all the 10 billion pieces of World Cup paraphernalia out there, the one I love the best is Pepsi’s #FUTBOLNOW soda machine. The vending machine doubles as a video game: Users can show off their skills and if they’re good enough, the interactive machine will award free sodas. Sadly, the only one of the limited-edition machines in the U.S. is at the Dallas airport.

But in non–World Cup news, there is a lot going on in the world of soda, like the Diet Coke Flirt Machine in London, and the 146-flavor Freestyle vending machine. There’s enough going on that it’s time to take stock and offer up these new soda commandments.

Think Low-Sugar Sodas
Recently, a new crop of carbonated beverages have appeared, and they boast low sugar and no artificial chemicals. Organic Oogavé sodas are sweetened with agave and come in flavors like watermelon-cream, strawberry-rhubarb and mandarin–Key lime.

Dry Soda Co. creates super-refreshing beverages that clock in at less than 70 calories per serving and have about 25-30% of the amount of sugar that typical soda does. Plus, the Seattle-based company supports local farms by sponsoring events in the Pacific Northwest. Fizzy Lizzy’s beverages consist solely of fruit juice and carbonated water, with no added sugars, in fun flavors like Fuji apple, grapefruit and tangerine–passion fruit.

DIY Your Sodas
Thanks to at-home carbonators like the SodaStream and the SodaSparkle, DIY–soda and seltzer is super popular these days. If you really want to step up your homemade soda game, try all-natural syrups from the Brooklyn-based P&H Soda Co. in flavors like hibiscus, ginger and sarsaparilla or an Old Fashioned Soda Kit ($85), which comes with flip-top glass bottles, stainless steel straws and funnel and a choice of syrup (choose from lemon, pomegranate, root beer or cherry cola). Shortcut: Mix syrups or flavorings with store-bought seltzer.

Make Carbonated Cocktails
If you do have an at-home soda maker, it probably includes strict warnings not to carbonate anything but plain water. But innovators like Piper Kristensen and Dave Arnold of Booker & Dax and Gregory Brainin of the Jean-Georges Restaurants group, are experimenting with other liquids, like fruit juice, wine and other alcohols (think carbonated Negronis or herb-infused soda). The New York Times has more on how to hack your soda machine

Go Retro
Once upon a time, cities had soda fountains like the Corner Pharmacy in Leavenworth, Kansas. And now, some have them again. Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain fully embraces old-fashioned drinks like house-made coffee soda, and chocolate and vanilla egg creams. If you’re not in Brooklyn, the new Farmacy cookbook, "The Soda Fountain: Floats, Sundaes, Egg Creams & More," will no doubt be helpful.

Forget Straws (unless they’re sustainable)
Mario Batali and his restaurant group made headlines recently when they announced their plan to institute a “straws upon request policy” in all of their restaurants. They also replaced plastic straws with compostable paper ones, and plastic stirrers with bamboo. The group’s sustainability guru, Elizabeth Meltz, launched this initiative after estimating that Batali restaurants went through more than 250,000 straws and stirrers per year, and came up with this initiative to reduce plastic waste.

Of course, there are great eco-options for home mixologists as well: metal, glass or compostable paper straws. (The metal ones have become an obsession with my Food & Wine colleagues.)

More from Food & Wine:
Coolest Crowdfunded Food Projects
Best Pizza in Unexpected Places
Best Top Chef Restaurants
Delicious Frozen Drinks
Best Wine Cocktails

Previously:
You need to stay hydrated, might as well make it interesting
How I kicked my Coke habit

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Food and Wine • Sip • Soda Ban • Soft Drinks

1. wrm

"Forget Straws (unless they’re sustainable)"

Sustainable... lulz.

June 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm |
  2. Jim

Cocaine is now healthier than Coca Cola. Times have certainly changed.

June 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm |
  3. palintwit

Why is it every time someone mentions Chick-fil-A I think of toothless tea party patriots who have incestuous relations with their sisters and cousins? The same teabaggers who sit in a duct taped Barcalounger, drinking Everclear and watching nascar on an old tv with aluminum foil scrunched up on the rabbit ears. The very same trailer trash who owns a Ford F-150 up on cement blocks.

June 23, 2014 at 11:47 am |
    • Wendy testaburger

Because you are a nit wit that has swallowed your parties propaganda hook, line and sinker.....

June 23, 2014 at 11:55 am |
      • Drano

He has an autographed photo of his sister with the title "My First Love"....

June 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm |
    • Hmmm...

That's a good question. I think it's a "you" problem. Where I'm from, everybody loves Chick-fil-A, regardless of political ideology.

June 23, 2014 at 12:23 pm |
  4. fletc3her

The Coca-Cola formula is water, corn syrup, and cola flavoring.

June 23, 2014 at 11:42 am |
  5. G

All these comments about obesity and yet not one mention of exercise and how society has grown fond of sitting on computer or couch for hours on end.

People were drinking sugary drinks 50 years ago too, the difference is they had a job and actually had to haul their ass up off the bed or couch each and every day.

You can drink all the soft drinks you want if you exercise regularly, calories in calories out is the only issue with weight gain.

June 23, 2014 at 9:39 am |
    • Thierd Egale of the Apocolypes

You realize you’re just scapegoating like the people you are complaining about right? Exercise is indeed important but you’re putting way to much emphasis on it. Obesity is 85% what you eat and 15% exercise, roughly speaking. Simply do they math of how much exercise it takes to burn calories. You’ve completely ignored the fact that 50 years ago the average diet didn’t contain massive amount of high fructose in just about EVERY food stuff. Abs come from whats in your cabinets not the gym.

June 23, 2014 at 10:35 am |
      • JSB

That could be because people were told 'fat' is bad for you and thus people still eating many of the same things substituted sugars for fats. The fact of the matter is EVERYTHING is bad for you if you have too much or too little of it.

June 23, 2014 at 11:26 am |
    • Adam G

The bigger problem is people are worried about counting calories instead of counting chemicals. "Without proper nutrition, medicine has no use. With proper nutrition, medicine has no need." If people really ate a diet of natural, raw food two thing happen: obesity goes down, and unnatural health problems (cancer, heart disease, and diabetes) goes down.

June 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm |
  6. Jsmith

Stop whining and get me a cold Mountain Dew!

June 23, 2014 at 8:46 am |
  7. somedude

I could really go for a cream soda.

June 23, 2014 at 1:52 am |
  8. Vikas

Low sugar sodas have been a long time coming. Regular sodas are horribly unhealthy, and the diet versions are too. The new sodas will succeed, as long as they are not made twice as expensive as coke and pepsi.

June 22, 2014 at 8:40 pm |
    • Michael Hunt, Esq.

False, diet sodas are not unhealthy.

Also, these "low sugar" sodas use agave, which according to Wikipedia "consists primarily of fructose and glucose. One source gives 47% fructose and 16% glucose;[9] another gives 56% fructose and 20% glucose.[10]" So in other words, soda sweetened with agave is exactly as unhealthy as soda sweetened with either sucrose or corn syrup.

June 23, 2014 at 7:32 am |
      • YoureFat

What's unhealthy is artificial sweetener. Do a little research, it's not hard to find compelling evidence about the health consequences. And yes, wow- you sure are amazing and breaking down the composition of a natural sweeter. Here's your blue ribbon. What matters it the amount of sweetener that needs be used to achieve a satisfying flavor. HFCS is used because it's cheap and abundant. But it is highly processed too to increase the relative sweetness compared to more natural options like agave. The real point the article is trying to convey is that reducing sugar intake and avoiding unhealthy chemicals is going to be the key marketing angle for the future, more health-minded soda drinker.

June 23, 2014 at 9:23 am |
      • John

Actually, aspartame has several adverse physical side effects that are more prevalent in some than others. The studies show that these side effects occur in statistically significant numbers.

June 23, 2014 at 9:56 am |
        • Thierd Egale of the Apocolypes

Exactly.
          Diet soda are indeed unhealthy and studies suggest much more so than normal sodas as the artificial sweeteners have been linked to a higher risk of cancer. He is also creating a false equivalency by suggesting that the LOW sugar sodas are just as bad because of agava. Of course agava is a sugar substitute. The part he is missing is the LOW. Sounds like this is another obese type that orders a diet soda with his combo#2 from Wendy’s and thinks it makes his meal diet lol.

June 23, 2014 at 10:41 am |
      • Leonard Blackburn

It must be nice being omniscient. Diet sodas have carbonated water. Do a web search for effects of carbonated water on health. You'll find that the carbon dioxide in any carbonated beverage breaks down into carbonic acid, creating acidic blood that is known to be the main cause of hardening of the arteries. Acidity in the body has other ill-effects as well. Also, if you're drinking a diet soda with carmel coloring, that has ill-effects as well. I'm not a scientist and I haven't done the studies myself, and I don't know what internet sources and scientific studies are trustworthy or not, but I'd rather not take my chances. I don't like to claim to "know" anything for sure.

June 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm |
  9. Ctrygrl

Finally someone is doing something about straws in a restaurant with glasses. I don't want to drink through a straw in a restaurant, I want them to properly wash the glass!!

June 22, 2014 at 12:05 pm |
    • Foodpimp

As a guy that used to work in restaurants for 14 years....they they may not look "clean"...the glasses have been completely sterilized. Now, those straws that you have been using. Those are a different matter. That glass that you are drinking from has only had one other hand on it. Those straws however. Well those have been handled by about a dozen people. And worse still....if you like lemon or lime in your soda. It's a good chance those were cut yesterday. And even if they aren't, tongs usually aren't used, they are dropped in their by hand. The older fruit is a natural petri dish for bacteria and fruit flies. Just hope that the lexans that the restaurant is using are cleaned after each batch of fruit. ENJOY!

June 22, 2014 at 11:28 pm |
      • JSB

If they are practicing such unsanitary measures with their straws and their lemons etc then the chances are that the glasses aren't sterilized either... Just saying.

But yes in most restaurants every glass/cup/drinking container that is reusable goes through a 'dishwasher' that cleans and sterilizes it against anything germ that can't live through boiling water (there are a few) and/or a chemical sanitizer.

June 23, 2014 at 11:31 am |
  10. cpc65

Can you honestly see a Mission Impossible type heist where someone tries to break into that vault and purloin the secret formula? It's probably a decoy anyway and the real one is in an inconspicuous looking file folder in a huge room full of filing cabinets, sorta like the Ark of the Covenant being in a crate in a huge room full of crates.

June 22, 2014 at 11:15 am |
    • Stiles17

Bravo! Well said. That put a smile on my face.

June 23, 2014 at 3:29 am |
  11. minuano72

Soft drinks make you fat. One of the worst things you can put in your body. Stop now.

June 22, 2014 at 10:38 am |
    • Nancy

You are so right! If I drink one soda every 6 monthis, that is a lot. I tried to tell my son this but he didn't listen. Now he is a diabetic.

June 22, 2014 at 5:37 pm |
      • Jason

I am 32 and have been drinking soda since 1984 and I weigh 96 pounds. I drink about 10 cans a day. I am not diabetic (have been tested) and I am in perfect shape, except that I have severe crohn's disease and am underweight. Even with crohn's, soda does not have any impacts on me at all. Given that mess, everybody has a different immune system and therefore either pays the horrible price from drinking soda, or can drink 12 cans in a week and not have any problems thus far. Given that information, however, I expect 10 to 20 years may indeed be a different story. No one except my estranged sister pays the price (age 27) in my family is overweight, obese or a diabetic. I keep myself in the best shape that I can given that I have an illness that will probably take my life 20 years from now.

June 22, 2014 at 6:21 pm |
  12. bayrat

No thanks! I'll just spark one up!

June 21, 2014 at 5:15 pm |
  13. Carn E. Vore

Throw the soda away. Pour whiskey in a glass. Add just a splash of water. Drink. Repeat as you see fit.

June 21, 2014 at 5:01 pm |
    • JellyBean

Heck yeah, I second that?

June 23, 2014 at 7:50 am |
  14. Dean

Drink Johnnie Walker instead.

June 21, 2014 at 4:03 pm |
  15. Observer

Mtn. Dew Baja Blast > Coca Cola

June 21, 2014 at 10:19 am |
    • Medical Marijuana Patient

The Pope is a Bigot and a Thug.
      Ex-communicate the Papal jerk...

June 21, 2014 at 3:46 pm |
      • Jerv

Good to see you back, Observer,

June 21, 2014 at 3:56 pm |
  16. Thinking things through

Seltzer water or club soda, sqeeze or two of lemon or lime, or an infusion of fresh strawberries and/or cucumber, or maybe mint. Who needs sweeteners?

June 21, 2014 at 7:17 am |
  17. SixDegrees

- Return to 7 and 8 ounce bottles. This is something that's already happening.

– Return to using can sugar. Kosher Coke, available in limited supply, does this, and sells out almost instantly due to high demand.

Note: neither these nor any other changes are going to get me to drink much soda. I gave it up years ago just because I didn't care for the taste of it anymore, and I'm unlikely to go back. But these would be welcome changes in a world where people routinely drink soda by the bucket.

June 21, 2014 at 6:00 am |
    • runninggun1024runninggun1024

A man in tennessee had a name for a mix drink at his favorite bar he calls it A.C.R.B It caught on quickly so they had a contest to figure out what the letters meant,Anyone care to guess what they stand for? remember its all in fun now so please no grief reply's OK i had enough of that from my x wife.

June 21, 2014 at 8:21 am |
    • Pturner

A couple years back Pepsi and Mountain Dew had limited edition "Throwback" versions that was made with cane sugar, it was delicious, reminded me of how it tasted when I was a little kid drinking it from those 16 ounce glass returnable bottles. It sold out usually the same day it was stocked. WIsh they'd make it permanently like that.

June 21, 2014 at 1:43 pm |
      • Bill Wilson

I purchase 2 twelve packs of Pepsi Throwback yesterday at Publics. It is still around at times.

June 22, 2014 at 10:24 am |
  18. fidel

yes, soda producers, thank you for your complicity in worldwide obesity

June 21, 2014 at 4:55 am |
    • Carn E. Vore

Yes, they've been travelling the world and forcing people to drink soda at gunpoint.

June 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm |
  19. Francisco

Let's see, we have compostable straws and bamboo stirrers but they all go into plastic trash bags. They have the same volume, so where is the environmental concern? Isn't the composition of the beverage container the main problem? Our environment pays for our convenience choices.

June 20, 2014 at 11:26 pm |
    • REBwater

The contianing plastic bag and volume of stuff in it is still the same. Sure. But the environmental concern is clear from contents of the bag. Less 'bad' stuff going into the bag and the bag surely does not remain completely sealed off so more of the more decomposables replacing plastics is a litte less bad also.

I see this article at least encouraging less of the not-so-good or less of the bad waste content.

When shopping, I opt for no bags at all or try to use paper when I can. I hate seeing people get carts loaded with many large, carry-able, sufficiently packaged items sometimes re-stuffed in plastic bags...sometimes double-bagged in the process.

June 21, 2014 at 3:19 am |
  20. Esaias

It's pop, not soda. Soda sounds gay.

June 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm |
    • you know who

Pop sounds supergay...(just sayin')...

June 21, 2014 at 5:03 am |
      • Carn E. Vore

Yep. "I can't wait to wrap my hands around a pop and get it in my mouth." I'll stick with saying "soda".

June 21, 2014 at 5:00 pm |
  21. Harry

I once worked with a guy who drank 18 cokes a day, a habit he started when he spend days in a missile silo. He latter switched to diet Coke and lost 36 pounds. Maybe a coincidence but he died of cancer in middle age.

June 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm |
  22. Paulie 'little bag of" Donuts

The most closely guarded food secret is the recipe for San Francisco Sour Dough bread. Sure, there are several companies that make Sour Dough, but the starter dough for Francisco's is 165 years old and kept in a vault..There is nothing else like it.

June 20, 2014 at 5:04 pm |
    • Dean

The recipe at Boudin's is not secret. Their "secret" is that they use the same motherdough or pre-ferment starter that they have used for the last 150 years.

June 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm |
  23. Rolly Polly

I see so many fatties coming out of Dunkin Doughnuts with giant iced coffees and sugar laden drinks, or coming out of a conveniant store with giant sodas. It is obvious they have given up, you will never mold their behavior, just like smokers they will continue to do what they shouldn't until maybe, just maybe, their doctor tells them they need to amputate something. "You didn't want that foot did you?"
    This one fatty at my work comes in every morning with a giant cup and goes out again at 11:00 to get another, who knows how many more he has after he goes home, or rolls home I should say. My friends and I call him Second Breakfast, not to his face of course.

June 20, 2014 at 3:16 pm |
    • David Murray

Indeed.. Most people don't think of drinks having calories. In reality most people with weight problems get a huge amount of their calories from what they drink, not what they eat. When I started trying to get my weight under control a decade ago, the first thing I realized was that I would have to give up all sugary drinks, including things I thought were healthy like orange juice. I've drank nothing but water since then.

June 20, 2014 at 3:45 pm |
    • MoodyFoodie

Yeah, a lot of people gave up a long time ago. What gets me is you see whole families of them and think "Do they think this is normal?? Did they never at any point in their or their children's lives think 'this is getting unhealthy now'?" Funny thing is some of them will have big gulps of diet soda, not only does your body process it the same but you're injecting excitotoxins into your brain... I explain this to my mom and say "Why don't you just drink water?" People are addicted, I guess. It'like how some people have to constantly be chewing gum and fiddling with their phone. Americans have to be constantly stimulated by something at all times, it seems.

June 20, 2014 at 4:07 pm |
    • Ally

"Second Breakfast" Bwaaahaaahaahahaaaa! I feel guilty that I'm laughing so hard over that.

June 20, 2014 at 4:47 pm |
    • Coward Hunter

Its people like you that shows the true ignorance of people. Insulting someone behind their back, what a coward. You must have pretty low self esteem to pick on someone.

June 20, 2014 at 5:03 pm |
    • Bill, Bloomington Il

I'll bite. I am amazed at all the trolls who blog just to call others names so they can feel good about themselves. I read this one about a troll who calls overweight people fatties just he so can overcome his issues about blogging from his mothers basement eating Cheetos. He probably got mad about the crumbs landing on his big gut.

June 20, 2014 at 6:24 pm |
    • Jenny Robinson

Learn to spell!

June 20, 2014 at 9:06 pm |
    • Lige

Bob Wills fan?

June 22, 2014 at 8:39 am |
  24. gigi

What's the secret ingredient? Chemicals!

June 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm |
    • Diet Coke since 1982

Then drink Crystal Light instead. Oh wait....

June 20, 2014 at 2:28 pm |
      • Jerv

LMAO! I couldn't resist. Yeah, just drink ice water, I guess.

June 20, 2014 at 9:56 pm |
  25. Mark

"Here's what's next for soda drinkers"

Diabetes?

June 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm |
    • Mutter Fudder

How does soda cause diabetes?

June 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm |
      • RM4213

seriously... the processed sugar gets into your bloodstream very quickly... unlike if you get sugar in the form of fruits and veggies where it has to be liberated from the fruit through the digestive process. The resulting spike in blood sugar causes insulin resistance as the body cant handle all that sugar in one huge bolus. Insulin resistance...is diabetes.... so yes sugar soda is a direct cause of diabetes... might as well just drink straight poison.

June 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm |
      • 100th Monkey

High fructose corn syrup. Enough of that over the years will destroy your ability to metabolize sugar.

June 20, 2014 at 4:45 pm |
  26. sodascam

Sodastream is a huge rip off, they use the razor business model where they charge you an arm and a leg for the consumable things like proprietary C02 cartridges that are a huge pain to get and flavorings. With the flavoring and insanely overpriced C02 a single serving of soda costs more than if you were to buy a 12pk of Pepsi.

June 20, 2014 at 12:27 pm |
    • Jibber

Ah, so they run their business like Apple then. You can only buy their products, play in their sandbox, and buy everything at an inflated price.

June 20, 2014 at 1:01 pm |
    • toydrum

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but sodastream is so much cheaper than buying canned or bottled soda it is ridiculous. Check your equipment - you may be wasting your carbonation. Maybe you are overloading the flavorings - it doesn't require much. You can also flavor without those syrups - try using some citrus peel (the peel, not the fruit) in carbonated water for flavoring and let it sit a little while before drinking.

June 20, 2014 at 2:29 pm |
      • MoodyFoodie

He probably works for Pepsi... ;)

June 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm |
  27. Bill, NY

This stuff is absolute poison! Take it from a diabetic. Sugary soft drinks are a very big part of the type II diabetes explosion in this country and around the world.

June 20, 2014 at 11:32 am |
    • Gabe Horn

Did you even read the article?

June 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm |
    • Shamus

Diabeatus, diabeatus, diabeatus.

June 20, 2014 at 12:32 pm |
    • Lifelong Vegetarian

Because the only type of fizzy soft drinks are the sugared kind....

/logicfail

June 20, 2014 at 1:45 pm |
      • Diet Coke since 1982

facts fail

June 20, 2014 at 2:02 pm |
  28. Kathy B

Flavored sparkling water (no sugar) is fantastic...flavorful and refreshing. Been doing this for a year and no longer drink soda pop every day, just on a rare occasion and it no longer tastes as good as it use to. :-)

June 20, 2014 at 11:27 am |
    • Lifelong Vegetarian

Except that flavored sparkling water is bitter as heck for supertasters like me. I'm happy that you can drink it, but I can't. Tried, spat it out. I drink diet soda with aspartame because sucralose tastes like a chemical factory went off in my mouth, stevia hits the wrong sweet receptors, and agave tends to spike my blood sugar.

I'm a firm believer is experimentation until someone finds what works with their biochemistry, and then sticking with that choice. Sounds like you did so, and found a solution that works for you. Good deal. :)

June 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm |
      • toydrum

Try putting orange (or other citrus) peel in the seltzer for a short time before drinking. That gives it a nice flavor and a touch of sweetness without huge amounts of sugar. (I'm with you, those chemical sweeteners are nasty and questionable - at least with sugar I know what I am getting).

June 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm |
    • MoodyFoodie

It's better in some ways. But the extra CO2 dehydrates your skin and erodes more calcium from your bones. If you really want to be healthy you drink plain water (minus whatever chemicals are in the water supply...).

June 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm |
      • Gabe Horn

Good grief... the abundance of misinformation in this thread is frightening.

June 20, 2014 at 8:42 pm |
  29. EmmaDsch2

What's next for soda drinkers? Diabeetus.

June 20, 2014 at 10:01 am |
    • Shenanigans O'Houlihan

thanks Wilford Brimley!

June 20, 2014 at 10:32 am |
      • Krandak

it hurts me to pee and it causes me to be short with my family

June 20, 2014 at 12:41 pm |
  30. The Truth

I am right there with you. Napkins, straws and the typical condiments should be given with the order. If it is take out I save whatever I don't use and use it later, like when they forget to give me a straw. If at a sit down restaurant serve them in a separate container so if the people dont use them they are availble for the next people. Everyone wins, I don't understand why that is so hard.

June 20, 2014 at 7:51 am |
    • Bob

I guess the CEO of CocaCola never heard of an Inductive Couple Plasma, that analyzer will give detail results of what elements are in the sample and the percentages, so if anyone would like to know what is on the formula, it would not be impossible to know

June 20, 2014 at 8:47 am |
      • Bob

By the way, CocaCola buys tones and tones of coca leaves in Peru Bolivia and other neighboring countries.. that is just to flavor the drink...

June 20, 2014 at 8:49 am |
        • Peter

Thats funny Bob but no they don't not that they didn't use to but they stopped that back in the 1930's I think now it is all cola nut and no coca in the flavoring.

June 20, 2014 at 9:18 am |
        • Mobius999

Actually Peter you are wrong and Bob is correct. Coca Cola stopped using cocaine in the US only. It is still a prominent ingredient in coke products internationally.

June 20, 2014 at 12:28 pm |
  31. Carre1

We had Fizzies in the 60's . I liked them. You dropped a tablet (like Alka Seltzer) in a glass of water. They were fruit and cola flavored. Fizzies were sweetened with some kind of sweetener that I think was linked to cancer.

June 20, 2014 at 7:32 am |
    • JFGI

Fizzies are still around. New & improved.

June 20, 2014 at 7:43 am |
    • MoodyFoodie

Good ol' days! Mean old FDA bannin' stuff! Say let's just get rid of that agency, why not?!

June 20, 2014 at 4:13 pm |
  32. Floyd Schrodinger

How can the soda manufacturers take the sugar out of soda? There is no sugar in soda. The stuff is sweetened with corn syrup. Yes I know that's a form of sugar but usually when you say sugar, you mean sucrose (table sugar)..

June 20, 2014 at 7:26 am |
    • marthisdil

Sucrose is a sugar. Fructose is a sugar. Corn syrup is of the latter, thus, it's a sugar.

June 20, 2014 at 8:13 am |
      • Alice

Only one of the 'sugars' is in a bag at the grocery store that says 'sugar' on it. So, that is what is expected when they say something has 'sugar' in it (as opposed to 'sugars').

June 20, 2014 at 1:45 pm |
        • Diet Coke since 1982@Alice

Your grocery store education doesn't change the facts.

June 20, 2014 at 2:04 pm |
      • MoodyFoodie

You work for the corn industry? Everyone else in the world knows the reason Americans are so much more obese than other countries is the use of corn in everything, including HFCS instead of real sugar. People replace HFCS with real sugar and even they see a difference. Just keep telling yourself it's all the same.

June 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm |
        • newdouglitas

Could you reference some data that supports your assertion? I don't think you understand that your opinion isn't based on data or facts, but intuition. And no, I don't support big agriculture, or corn-based additives, or mass produced anything. But I can't stand it when someone pretends to know something that they don't. So can you back up your claim with facts? If not you should stop making the claim.

June 20, 2014 at 5:45 pm |
  33. worldcares

I love this article.
    Always ask for two paper straws and recycle the plastic ones with you water bottles.

June 20, 2014 at 2:53 am |
  34. merin sun

It's called "Pop!"

June 20, 2014 at 1:53 am |
    • Agreed

Yes. In some parts of the country, that IS a colloquialism for Dad. But we're talking about soda. Please stay on topic.

June 20, 2014 at 8:49 am |
  35. Gunny

Forget all of that. Am I the only one who thinks that vault door doesn't match the opening?

June 20, 2014 at 12:03 am |
    • AleeD®

HA! I see that, too. I also see that the rods in the door probably extend out to fill those gaps..

June 20, 2014 at 7:17 am |
    • Adam

Thank God someone else saw that. I thought it was just me or that I was missing something!

June 20, 2014 at 8:45 am |
      • davidtmp

That's not the actual vault door. That gets you into the room with all the info and history about the formula. The actual vault is inside that room and has an alarm if you get too close to the door. It's in the World of Coke. Great place about the history of Coke if you haven't been.

June 20, 2014 at 10:12 am |
    • Owl96

Yes, the door looks smaller than the opening, but look back to the entrance way on the left. That is very small. I am not a photographer, but it looks like the lens used is not standard. It may be a fish-eye or other type of lens. The perspective is just wrong, so I think it is in the photography.

June 20, 2014 at 11:03 am |
  36. jeremy

Go pick on all the drunks! I like my pop and beer is way more dangerous. I might be fat, but at least Ill just kill myself, rather then a car load of innocent people. CNN, stop it with your Coke bashing! Start talking about how stupid weed and alcohol are. Cause they are.

June 20, 2014 at 12:01 am |
    • Bubba

Obesity costs the US economy tens of billions of dollars a year and is responsible for a multitude of life threatening diseases such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease. High sugar foods and drinks are a major cause of obesity. Moderation is the key whether it be alcohol, sugar or weed.

June 20, 2014 at 12:30 am |
  37. Jesse

Yes, keep a secret in an elaborate well publicized vault, I'm sure that secret will never be stolen.

June 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm |
    • Wayne

The CEO probably got tired of having an old, faded, musty, loose-leaf book of formulas on his coffee table. Imagine having guests over and when they ask about it, you answer that it's the 'secret formula', everyone gets excited, then you tell them it's for Pepsi, and they say, "Oh. You guys seriously think that's a secret, still?" Thus, they build a vault.
      Of course, someone should tell them that hardly anyone even likes Pepsi, and the demand for the recipe is fairly insignificant. I only drink Pepsi when I ask for Coke and hear, "Is Pepsi ok?"
      ...... yeah, but scratch the up-sizing that.

June 19, 2014 at 11:50 pm |
    • cdbeee

Well, it hasn't been to date that I am aware of – and it's always been housed in some sort of vault, safety box from what I have heard.

June 20, 2014 at 12:00 am |
  38. tyler

I would like to try an old coke with the cocaine in it to see how good it was

June 19, 2014 at 10:59 pm |
  39. raisequestions

I already despise the condiments upon request policy because God knows that trying to remember to ASK for ketchup is the last thing on my mind when I'm hungry and in a hurry. I can't even begin to say how irritated I'll be every single time I pull away from the drive through and realize that I don't have a straw because I didn't *ask* for one.

June 19, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
  40. William

What I really want is a soda with no sugar, no aspartame, no caramel coloring or artificial chemicals...but with caffeine. I found one but its not sold in my part of the country.

June 19, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
    • Bill Nye

Experiment with iced coffee mixed with club soda.

June 20, 2014 at 7:06 am |
  41. UpsetVoter

Water sweetened by high fructose corn syrup that costs more than beer is so yesterday. Many of us have moved beyond Coca-cola and Pepsi-cola products.

June 19, 2014 at 10:20 pm |
    • Goe Forthe and Phuque Yoreselph

Note also that many of us are not elitist snobs and still drink Coke products.

June 20, 2014 at 7:22 am |
  42. A

If I'm craving a carbonated drink, I just buy a bottle of club soda, then I add a nectar or a thick juice to it. It's a thing I picked up while I was living in Europe. I just mix one part bubbly water and one part juice. The best juice to add is, like I said, any sort of nectar. But grape juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice and cherry juice are also very good.

June 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm |
    • Kay

Thanks for this idea! I get a weird craving for the fizzy/bubbliness and this will help so much! You're awesome! c:

June 19, 2014 at 11:20 pm |
    • Ron T.

You'd be better off adding a slice of orange or lemon to that instead of bottled juice. Bottled juices have large amounts of sugar added. Even orange juice. Simply read the label and you will see.

June 20, 2014 at 6:04 am |
      • Goldielover

Don't know what brands you are buying, but there's plenty out there with no added sugar. You do need to avoid ones that are labelled as "cocktail" or "fruit beverage", and look for the phrase "no added sugar" on the label. At least, that's how it works in Canada.

June 20, 2014 at 10:00 am |
    • Goldielover

Thawed unsweetened fruit juice concentrate works very nicely as well. Been doing this in the summer for almost forty years. Grape and apple are my two favourites. If you don't mind a bit of sugar added, then lemonade concentrate works well too.

June 20, 2014 at 9:51 am |
  43. Idontthinkso

"they boast low sugar and no artificial chemicals."
    What is an "artificial chemical" and how does it differ from a "natural chemical"?

June 19, 2014 at 9:37 pm |
    • UdahMan!

Exactly. The popular media have given the word "chemical" a negative connotation. I was once amused, but now disgusted by phraseology such as "this food contains no added chemicals", etc. when food itself (as is all matter) is just a collection of chemicals.

June 19, 2014 at 10:10 pm |
      • Wayne

An artificial chemical is one that is created by mixing multiple natural chemicals. A natural chemical is one that is produced within nature, without any assistance from mankind. Any extract is a natural chemical. A combination of extracts, with added sugars or whatnot, is artificial.
        They are given these terms because the 'all-natural' fad has gained quite a bit of support over the last 30 years, and the average person will purchase an item that says it has no added chemicals, without bothering to read the ingredient list. The gentleman above that complains that he has to ask for ketchup, for example, seems to be far too busy to bother with checking the ingredients that he ingests, assuming that if something were bad for him it would have a label stating as much.
        Americans have become so accustomed to the idea that their government will not let anything bad on the market, as everything has to pass through the FDA for approval, that they assume anything they can purchase will only have mild effects. This is because all of the documentaries regarding fast food, and the food industry in general, are dubbed as progressive, flower-child, activist flicks.

June 19, 2014 at 11:33 pm |
        • Tim

Cow manure and poison ivy are natural....not everything natural is good...

June 20, 2014 at 8:24 am |
  44. John

Why would anyone well versed in science think that Coca-Cola or Pepsi-Cola had some kind of secrets in their recipes?

One can analyze either brand of cola in a GC-MS instrument (Gas Chromatography – Mass Spectrometry), and determine the EXACT composition of any ingredient in either soft drink.

The idea that there is a secret that no one else can reproduce is simply a marketing ploy.

June 19, 2014 at 8:59 pm |
    • Idontthinkso

Knowing that a liquid is made of water, carbon dioxide, phosphorus, nitrogen, and other molecules isn't the same as having the recipe to make it.
      Knowing diamond is made of carbon won't get you the hope diamond out of pencil lead.

June 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm |
      • Jasper Dean

Pencils use graphite

June 19, 2014 at 10:03 pm |
        • Boinker

Yes, they are. What is the chemical formula for graphite?

June 19, 2014 at 10:23 pm |
        • Miner (Nodding to MT)

Graphite is a mineral and the chemical formula is C and its composition is carbon.

June 20, 2014 at 7:32 am |
      • UdahMan!

The comment was about GC/MS which assists identification of molecular structures, not just individual elements. You are perhaps thinking of AA or ICP?

June 19, 2014 at 10:14 pm |
        • saltydog26@hotmail.com

Ah, your right! I WAS thinking of Insane Clown Posse (ICP), My bad!

June 19, 2014 at 10:50 pm |
      • saltydog26@hotmail.com

Even if you get the exact composition of the ingredient you still have many factors you can't duplicate. You can find out one of the components is sugar but you don't know the ph, granular size prior to dissolving, etc. Also, the compounds of a recipe are only half the equation. Processing of the compounds is the other half.

You can take all the ingredients listed on a Snickers bar and try to recreate at home but it won't turn out the same.

June 19, 2014 at 10:58 pm |
        • Wayne

No kidding. 1 ounce of kool-aid + 1 quart tap water + 1 cup granulated sugar = what I drank as a kid.
          1 ounce of kool-aid + 1 quart drinking water + 1 cup heated (dissolved) sugar = completely different taste.

June 19, 2014 at 11:38 pm |
        • saltydog26@hotmail.com

Well yes, one cup of tap water would taste different than one cup of drinking water. moron.

June 20, 2014 at 12:23 am |
  45. Jizz drinker

Maybe the name made people uncomfortable?

June 19, 2014 at 8:55 pm |
  46. sugar

I like to get my soda at the GhettoMart. They have the best flavors and since they're all in spanish I have no idea what I'm actually drinking.

June 19, 2014 at 8:47 pm |
  47. denim

There's an old-fashioned soda fountain in Albuquerque at Model Pharmacy. Its not retro, it has been there for several decades. I suspect there are a lot more, but you may have to search for them.

June 19, 2014 at 8:32 pm |
    • The Truth

They are rare but still around all over the country, the novelty factor keeps them alive. I enjoy going to them as a treat and look back at a by gone era when soda was a special once in awhile experience instead of an everyday drink. The best ones are the ones were the employees still call themselves sodajerks instead of mixologists. If you have to rename your job to make you feel more special then you don't like your job to begin with.

June 20, 2014 at 7:57 am |
  48. Serious Truth

I liked it better when cocaine was one of the ingredients.

June 19, 2014 at 8:21 pm |
    • Tom

"I liked it better when cocaine was one of the ingredients." ???
      You must be 95 or so to remember cocaine in the mix of Coca-Cola. Because they stopped adding cocaine in 1929.

June 19, 2014 at 9:37 pm |
      • Sgt Hulka

And you must have had your sense of humor removed. Don't be a d!ck, D!ck.

June 20, 2014 at 6:59 am |
      • Jamie

you mean 1909

June 20, 2014 at 12:53 pm |
  49. What's next?

We've got our President dropping the ball in Iraq, 4 American killed in Bengahzi on his watch, the IRS coverup of targeting political rivals, Vets unable to get adequate health care, and CNN is writing articles entitled "What's next for soda drinkers?"

June 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

We trust that our readers are intellectually capable, complex humans who can entertain more than one thought at a time. So that's why.

June 20, 2014 at 12:57 am |
      • insi10

But not Whats Next. You give some people more credit than they deserve.

June 20, 2014 at 7:42 am |
    • VladT

Typically, anything Obama-related, middle-east related, etc are relegated to their respective sections.

Did you take a wrong turn at Albuquerque and end up in the eatocracy section?

June 20, 2014 at 6:25 am |
    • insi10

Regarding Iraq: one can tell a wingnut troll right away...."President dropping the ball..." - but never do wingnut trolls ever stick their necks out and say what should be done. Love the way the wingnuts walk both sides of the argument nonstop on whether we should have soldiers getting killed there.

Benghazi: coverup of what? I keep reading that accusation, but never a word about what was covered up. Lots of people have taken a look, including that wingnut South Coast congressman's yammering committee, and there doesn't seem to be any there there.

IRS...that gets more interesting. Trouble with your argument, though, is that all the yammering about the IRS is intended to deflect it from investigating all the abuse of 501(c)(3) corps by your fellow wingnuts.

June 20, 2014 at 7:47 am |
    • EMcK

Dropping the ball in Iraq? You mean by abiding by the troop withdrawal agreement signed between his predecessor and the sovereign nation of Iraq?

June 20, 2014 at 7:51 am |
    • Thinking things through

Because this is the Food section. There are news sections if you look up at your web page header. And, Kat's right.

June 21, 2014 at 7:19 am |
  50. Robert Stine

I don't get it? FiZZ GiZ started the revolutionary trend of carbonating sodas in a plastic bottle 5-years ago. They're never mentioned. Yet they have what may be the most affordable home soda making solution. I bought mine 4-years ago for around $30. It's still going strong. What happened to FiZZ GiZ? Their website is still up (http://www.fizzgiz.com). But their product has not been offered on Amazon now for a couple of months. I keep seeing all theise other companies getting into the home soda maker business. Yet they all price themnselves WAY out-a-the market – at least, out of my market. Hang in there FiZZ GiZ.

June 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm |
    • Bruce

Are you Kidding Robert?? fizz giz?? Sodastream were doing this twenty years ago.

June 19, 2014 at 8:27 pm |
      • Jizz drinker

I think the name might be a problem. Not everybody wants to drink jizz

June 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm |
      • John

Fizz Jiz?

June 19, 2014 at 9:02 pm |
    • Luke

Maybe the GiZ name didn't go over well with people for some reason?

June 19, 2014 at 9:11 pm |
      • Tom

LOL

June 19, 2014 at 9:39 pm |
      • Wayne

This marketing department seems to have missed every teenager in the world when they were holding focus groups for this product and it's name.
        They also missed every male on the planet.

June 19, 2014 at 11:41 pm |