June 12th, 2014

More than 4,000 pounds of rib-eye and other fresh beef products have been recalled because they could contain contaminated materials linked to mad cow disease.

The meat in question was processed at Fruitland American Meat in Jackson, Missouri, and distributed to a Whole Foods distribution center in Connecticut, which services its New England stores, and a restaurant in New York City and another one in Kansas City, Missouri. The beef was produced and packaged between September 2013 and April 2014.

The USDA has classified the recall a "Class II," meaning the health risk is low. There have been no reports of illness as a result of consumption.

READ: 4,000 pounds of rib-eyes, other beef recalled; mad cow disease a concern

Posted by:
Filed under: Food Safety • Mad Cow • Meat • Recalls • Tainted Food

1. RichardHead

This is an udder ly mooooving article,written with a lot of beef and some cud thrown in for good measure.

June 13, 2014 at 8:03 am |
  2. Ms. Grammar

They are trying to recall meat processed between September 2013 and April 2014...my guess is they may be a little late. Sure, some of it may be frozen, but...

June 13, 2014 at 7:31 am |
  3. Terrance Smith

This is the copy from KRZK – FM 106.3
    JACKSON, Mo – USDA officials announce that a Missouri-based meat company is recalling about 4-thousand pounds of beef because of cattle nerves which may not have been completely removed.
    Dorsal root ganglia are nerves attached to the spinal cord and must be removed in the butchering process.
    USDA officials say the slaughtered cows have no sign of mad cow disease.

Sounds yummy, doesn't it? If the USDA has come out and stated that there is no sign of Mad Cow Disease present, then why destroy all that meat? What's wrong here? Why are Americans so squeamish about eating perfectly good meat? Well, you could always sell it to a third world country. Also, all of those cows that gave their lives just to be tossed in the trash. Lost your nerve? Sorry but I couldn't resist that one. Really, some nerve tissue in your hamburger or steak, probably happens all the time. At least an ethical company like Fruitland American Meat realized that there may be a potential problem. "Modern" people are so far removed from the process of killing, dismembering and butchering animals. They see a pretty package of juicy, red meat but have no clue how it got there. It is a brutal, gory, process. By the way when you kill thousands of cows a day for "processing", where does all that blood go? Glad I chose the Veg lifestyle early on in my life.

June 13, 2014 at 3:07 am |
    • Terrance Smith

I just read an article from the New York Times stating that Fruitland American Meat got caught on an inspection. AND, it has already been sold and consumed in an unnamed restaurant / restaurants. AND sold in stores. What else could the USDA say?

June 13, 2014 at 5:55 am |
    • JellyBean

"Well, you could always sell it to a third world country." Why be so flippant and mean?

June 13, 2014 at 7:29 am |
      • Terrance Smith

Hmmmm,me being flippant and mean, wanting to feed the poor and hungry? Okay then donate all the meat. Now is that better?

June 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm |
        • JellyBean

Not at all better, Terrance. And I get it. Have a great life my friend.

June 14, 2014 at 6:36 am |
    • Thinking things through

Terrence, it is because that nerve tissue is where the prions of "Mad Cow" reside. Since there's no way to test for the prions in meat that has already shipped out, they've recalled the meat. (Cooking will not kill the prions.) I think it is the right call. And, mind you, I ate a couple burgers from Whole Foods recently, and don't feel concerned about it - which is because we've had nearly-negligible cases of "mad-cow" infected cattle in this country. I figure the danger is extremely small, but since the disease both has a long incubation and is entirely fatal when it arrives, they made the right decision. I probably had more chance of exposure during my 2-week visit to the British Isles in 1995 (when I ate only one meal with beef in it) than from these recent two burgers.

Oh, and yes - why send stuff we are taking off our shelves to third world countries? I sorta think that's what China did when they sent melamine-laced foods here to our pets?

June 13, 2014 at 4:54 pm |
      • Thinking things through

Sigh, apologies, I mis-spelled your name - my brother is Terrence with an "e" rather than an "a". Habits.

June 13, 2014 at 4:58 pm |
      • Terrance Smith

So, even if there is a negligible chance, that chance still exists. Why bother eating beef at all?

June 14, 2014 at 5:41 pm |
  4. Herman

Would that be a product of no regulations and maximum profit Texas style capitalism.

June 12, 2014 at 7:09 pm |
    • What?

No, in this case that would be a product of paperwork not being done correctly.

June 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm |
  5. steve the gov

Of course no reports of illness! Takes decades to show and death invariably follows onset of symptoms.

June 12, 2014 at 6:54 pm |