McDonald's HQ, hold the workers
May 21st, 2014

McDonald's corporate headquarters near Chicago looks like a ghost town.

On the site where fast-food workers planned a wage protest Wednesday, McDonald's confirmed the closing of its headquarters, which was to be the demonstrators' focal point.

"The building where the protestors told the police they were visiting is the building the police advised us to close in advance for security and traffic purposes," said McDonald's spokeswoman Lisa McComb.

Steve Mills, who operates a remote truck for CNN, confirmed that the parking lot at McDonald's headquarters was empty except for about "5 cars."

"The 24/7 McDonald's restaurant on the campus appears to be closed as well," said Mills.

The organizers said they moved their protest to a nearby intersection. Jennifer Goelz, a CNN producer, says there were 300 people gathered on a soccer field in the area. They were waiting to march to another corporate location in Oak Brook, the Chicago suburb where McDonald's is based.

Organizers said they expect a crowd of more than 2,000, including 120 McDonald's workers, employees from other fast-food companies, clergy and community leaders to assemble there,

Read - McDonald's closes headquarters as protesters gather

1. ramsey1992

In my opinion people that are asking for more money to work at a fast food joint are idiots. I my self used to work a job where i stood out in the hot sun every day, in a big furry costume. I came close to passing out every day, but i kept doing it for about a year, even though i was only making around 7.50 an hour. I eventually got fed up with it, and decided to get a better job because that is what you should do when you dont like the pay or the job. What you shouldnt do is ask for 15 dollars an hour to do a job that any moron can do. Get off your ass, and work towards something better. If you cant do that then you deserve to be on the streets. Oh, and if you cant get a better job because you dont have your high school deploma, then i do not feel bad for your dumbass. Neither should the people that run the fast food chains. I hope they keep giving you exactly what you deserve which is MINIMUM WAGE!

May 29, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Reply
  2. Kimberly

In my opinion I think its selfish for employees to go on strike, asking for $15 an hour. It's an insult to the people who work much harder then McDonalds employees. I agree they should be paid more, but for asking that much is ridiculous. Why pay McDonalds employees $15 an hour for standing behind a cash register giving costumers poor service and attitudes. I'm a caregiver that gets paid $7.80 for helping Elderly in need. It's selfish.

May 23, 2014 at 11:21 am | Reply
  3. Binkey

Just to be clear that the wage paid is so low that many people have to go on public assistance of some kind in order to live and take care of their families. If you are comfortable subsidizing the outrageously inflated and beyond generous (notice I don't say "fair" wages as Mr. Thompson qualifies the wages of his workers) compensation of CEO's and other high level managers then that's fine. Me, I'm not comfortable with that. This is capitalism out of control and out of line with any moral argument that can be made about how we treat one another. Remember whatever you think about people flipping burgers and any of the other "menial " jobs people are doing to help the company generate HUGE profits that benefit a small number of people.
    If you think anyone can do those jobs, you just try it for a year and see how the repetition wears on you. Skilll is one thing. Hard work in the face of that kind of tedium should be rewarded even though the sill level to do it may not be that high.

May 22, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  4. Victor Nunnally

I say: do away with these disgusting fast food chains. I will never eat at Mcdonalds again after what I recently witnessed a manager doing at the counter with coffee creamers. He was trying to dunk them from five feet away into a to go bag and when he would miss he would pick them off the floor and put them in the bag. I was the only one standing at the counter and watched the employees laugh. He then walked over to me and stared me down as if to say "What you looking at." I also witnessed employees at a Burger King doing crude and rude acts. An employee literally got in my face at the counter hopping up and down asking me if I got fries and kept repeating himself. The manager did nothing. I will never eat at Burger King again. I bit into a chicken tender at a Hardees and swear I ate someones loogy. I was driving and bit into something that tasted like someones bad breath. I will never eat at Hardees again. This is in North Carolina. I say close the fast food chains. These places have become too grotesque. $15 and hour? Give me a break. However, there is opportunity in this calamity for up and coming entrepreneurs who could create new style eateries that provide quality and great customer service. It is time for a renaissance in the fast food world.

May 22, 2014 at 10:42 am | Reply
  5. Paulina

Anyone who "demands" a pay raise, or in this case Doubling their pay.... deserves to be fired. Who the hell do they think they are?
    Get another job, or get 2 jobs. You don't want anyone working for you who "demands" raises. This is dangerous stuff.

May 22, 2014 at 9:33 am | Reply
  6. babsbasia

why is this seemingly fruitless??/ always / i would gladly pay .50 cent extra for a damn burger/ if that is what it takes/ there are reasons this isn't done/ much, much more deeper than a burger price hike/ it also 'pees' me to no end that these 'corporate' water cooler gossipers get to stay home- that bothers me even more

May 22, 2014 at 8:52 am | Reply
    • English Patrol

Are you trying to write in English? This is the very definition of "Epic Fail."

May 22, 2014 at 9:08 am | Reply