Chipotle: Leave the gun, take the burrito
May 20th, 2014

Bring your appetite... but not your guns.

That's the message from Chipotle after a social media campaign after gun rights activists openly displayed their assault rifles inside one of its restaurants in Dallas this past weekend.

"Recently, participants from an "open carry" demonstration in Texas brought guns (including military-style assault rifles) into one of our restaurants, causing many of our customers anxiety and discomfort," said Chipotle's Chris Arnold in statement. "We are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel."

An anti-gun activist group called "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America" began a Twitter campaign on Monday against customers bringing guns into Chipotle.

Read - Chipotle: Guns not welcome here

Posted by:
Filed under: Chipotle • Fast Food • Social Media

1. GODZILLA1

All these "open carry" loons want is someone to confront them so they can "stand their ground" and shoot them.

June 9, 2014 at 8:40 am | Reply
  2. Doug

So just curious here, but does this open carry law in Texas also apply to Banks? Cause I have a hard time imagining that it'd be a good idea to allow someone to open walk into a bank with a loaded semi automatic hanging from their shoulder.

To that end, I do have to ask why this law is in place but yet it excludes places like courthouses and gov't bldgs from places where you are freely allowed to carry these weapons. Why are they excluded if it's such a great idea?

June 7, 2014 at 8:31 am | Reply
  3. Bill Friedline

I'm sorry, but as a business owner, if I see someone, or, worse yet, a group coming through my front door with an assault rifle over their shoulder, I will be forced to make some very quick assumptions. Leave them in your vehicle, people.

I consider myself a liberal, and neither I or any my liberal friends have any problem whatsoever with gun ownership. We do have issue with the seemingly growing numbers of new gun buyers who seem to be looking for an opportunity to prove something. From the home protection nonsense (are you really carrying a loaded weapon on your person 24/7 in your home? Those home invaders don't knock!) to the folks that just itch to be public saviors. "Gee, if YOU hadn't been here with that gun of yours and skillfully and brilliantly shot that guy before he did any more damage, he could have killed us ALL!" types, we need more sensible people. That excludes the majority of low intelligence Americans!

June 6, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  4. EL

I am a law-abiding citizen with a CCL and support the civilian ownership of firearms, however open carry like that or for anyone that is not LE is for a**hats. There is no reason to be brandishing any gun; long or short in a public setting. You cause panic with people that do not like them, and make the rest of the civilian gun ownership seem like we are all crazy. Remember not all rights are unlimited. You can't shout bomb in an airport without getting the TSA's hand up your behind, or shout fire in a crowded movie theater because you will cause a panic. So why do that in any other setting with a different right? Btw if you are reading this an intended to respond please include the phrase boiled cabbages in your response so I know you are actually reading my post and not just being a troll. And while I know there are people on here that are going to go "you carry a gun you must have a small you know what", or "you're a right wing gun nut" blah blah blah. Let me explain something I am not worried about the big ad gubiment coming to lock us all in FEMA camps, or the Obama is some secret muslim, socialist, not born in the US. I do not want to ever use my gun unless I am at the range practicing (which I do regularly). I am a member of one of the most violently assaulted minorities in the US (MTF Transgender) that grew up in a bad neighborhood where I have been assaulted, beaten, harassed, and was even shot at once as a kid. So I have seen some of what the world has to offer, and while I know not everyone is like that I'd never be able to forgive myself if one evening some intolerant jerk assaulted me or my SO (CIS female) and put one of us in the hospital permanently paralyzed or worse, and think if only I had a way to protect her or myself. I work in a high crime area, where people have just gone into a store and shot the person working, someone got stabbed outside my store one evening (not exaggerating), and where my old company felt we needed to have armed security and cash pickup daily (new company got rid of both). And I don't work here because I want to, but because I need a job where I make enough money to survive, pay for hormones, therapists, college tuition, rent etc. And yes I am always looking for a new job. Remember boiled cabbages. The therapists were for the pre-requisites for me to get care for transition, and all three I've seen all agree that I am a stable, well-adjusted adult and understand my reasons for carrying. And if you were to meet me you'd see I'm friendly, open-minded, and you wouldn't even know I was carrying unless I told you. And if you don't like my gun or me carrying I respect that, as everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just don't judge all gun owners the same saying we do it because we have tiny privates (which if you read my post would know I have no hangups on mine), or because we want to play Dirty Harry. I am no cop, and will not act like one. If I see you being assaulted and don't know anything about you I'm calling the police not drawing my gun. If someone comes into my store with a ski mask on and gun drawn they're not getting to the counter because I'm not risking not getting to go home to see my family. I follow my state mandated laws, of no carry signs and disarm before I enter the establishment, I notify the officer at a traffic stop, I do not drink if I am carrying, my gun does not go on a college campus, church, federal building etc. I am open for intellectual debate if you care to, as long as you mention boiled cabbages, and if you don't I'm going to write you off as a troll and not worth my time. End rant.

May 24, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  5. Jeff

As a huge concealed carry fan, I have zero problem considering the one on the right to be brandishing. Weapon in hand, finger next to the trigger, is not the way to act in public. I may have well called the cops on him myself.

May 22, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Reply
  6. Cletus

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAWWWWW– GUNS! 'Merica!!!!
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  7. Seong Pak

The guy on the left looks like "wanna be Soldier but couldn't be one because he is so fat."

May 21, 2014 at 10:05 am | Reply
  8. Ed - Spring, TX

I believe that restaurants have the right to ask anyone to leave so I don't know what all of the drama about these two yahoos carrying rifles into the store is all about.

May 21, 2014 at 10:00 am | Reply
    • Common Sense is not Liberalism

The drama stems from the fact that these two idiots and their supporters don't have a clue how stupid and disrespectful they look in the name of "self-defense" and the left-wingers who don't understand that these are not representatives of all gun owners.

May 21, 2014 at 10:04 am | Reply
      • Jeff

Bingo. I'm a huge carry advocate, but I'm a huge concealed carry advocate. I'm also a huge AR fan, but ARs have almost zero defensive utility in a city where you have no belief that you will be attacked.

Keep a carry pistol hidden. You may think you exercising your rights open carrying rifles in Chipotles, but to some of us, you are as clueless as Occupy protesters.

May 22, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Reply
    • Captain Slapaho

Fifty bucks says that neither of these two got mugged on the way home though. Just sayin.

May 21, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

That could go either way. I'd be willing to bet neither of them could fight their way out a wet paper bag. Tough guys don't usually play the "I have a gun" card.

May 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Reply
      • Debby

they might not have got mugged, but as a female if i thought they were following me I might have blown their heads off first before they were able to raise their weapons. But that would be because only idiots with low IQ's or major criminals would have been blatantly carrying weapons like that for no reason. Law abiding people not looking for causing trouble tend to be more respectful of those around them and themselves. And since the law favors the person who fears for their life, and since both sides are going to be fearing for their life in a shootout, its the one who lives who does not go to jail anyway with the laws we have now., And I would rather shoot a gun then be held at gunpoint and raped. So, following that logically....

May 22, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Reply
  9. steelers1981

men that own guns are cowards

May 21, 2014 at 9:57 am | Reply
    • Common Sense is not Liberalism

You're a tool. My statement has just as much fact as yours.

May 21, 2014 at 10:01 am | Reply
  10. ellid

Anyone who lives in a neighborhood so dangerous that it's necessary to carry a gun to Chipotle's needs to move.

May 21, 2014 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Common Sense is not Liberalism

I'd be willing to bet there aren't many Chipotles in bad neighborhoods. Its not like they have become synonymous with ghetto food like McD's has. In my travels, Chipotle has always been located in moderately upscale areas, typically around shopping centers. Not a lot of gang-bangers hanging about.

May 21, 2014 at 9:55 am | Reply
  11. Matt

Sure beats drop the chulpa.

May 21, 2014 at 9:16 am | Reply
  12. luziass46

Reblogged this on luziass46.

May 21, 2014 at 9:03 am | Reply
  13. REally...

As a life gun owner, the photo above just bothers me. Sometimes I don't fell that I am fighting liberal for my gun rights. I feel like I am fighting the numb skulls that make the rest of us look bad.

May 21, 2014 at 8:06 am | Reply
    • John C

You are right. I own several guns but have the common sense not to inflame the passions of either the gun totin' nuts like these or the narrow minded anti-gun crowd. Can not their be a reasonable middle ground?

May 21, 2014 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • Bill

Exactly this.

May 21, 2014 at 10:22 pm | Reply
  14. Get a Room

Tony Capony & Common Sense need to get a room.

May 21, 2014 at 7:14 am | Reply
    • Common Sense is not Liberalism

Done. We got a jacuzzi suite booked. Hear-shaped jacuzzi, no less!

May 21, 2014 at 8:50 am | Reply
      • Get a Room

@--<--
        @--<--
        @--<--
        @--<--
        Now you have roses, too.

May 21, 2014 at 9:07 am | Reply
  15. taxpayerzombie

Give the liberals a break for being confused. They do not think taxpayers should have guns because it is unnatural for slaves to have guns.

May 21, 2014 at 6:20 am | Reply
    • McBain

Actually most slaves in America had access to guns. I have found numerous gun parts, gun flints, ammunition at several slave sites as an archaeologist. Guns, usually older poorly functioning ones, were given to slaves so they could augment their diet via hunting. Ammunition and powder, however, were carefully distributed.

May 21, 2014 at 8:28 am | Reply
  16. clearandamillion

having grown up and taught to respect firearms, and having been in the military I am a strong supporter of gun rights. I also think flaunting your rights by open carrying long guns into a family eating establishment just lacks common sense and social courtesy. Chipotle has every right to say "please leave your gun outside our restaurants". I dont think they have gone to the length of actually posting official notice in their restaurants yet (required in some states) but they are making an appeal to responsible gun owners. I dont feel like they are in any way violating rights I served to protect. In fact sounds like lunch for today. further, the baseless attacks and assumptions that the cooks and staff are all illegals as a few others have stated are also innappropriate. stop proving the nutty left right by being a nutty right winger! those of us who are right leaning moderates don't appreciate that!

May 21, 2014 at 5:42 am | Reply
  17. Wc

Open Carry Texas founder CJ Grisham told the Forbes website his group went to a Chipotle at the weekend not to demonstrate but for a meal following an event.

"We always let the manager know we're coming," he said. "We're peaceful, we're looking for a place to eat, but we have guns. If we're not welcome, we're not going to spend money there."

May 21, 2014 at 12:46 am | Reply
  18. Wc

I sent them an email and here is the response.

The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food.

Recently participants from an “open carry” demonstration in Texas brought guns (including military-style assault rifles) into one of our restaurants, causing many of our customers anxiety and discomfort. Because of this, we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

Historically, we felt it enough to simply comply with local laws regarding the open or concealed carrying of firearms, because we believe that it is not fair to put our team members in the uncomfortable position of asking that customers refrain from bringing guns into our restaurants. However, because the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers, we think it is time to make this request.

We acknowledge that there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue. We have seen those differing positions expressed in the wake of this event in Texas, where pro-gun customers have contacted us to applaud our support of the Second Amendment, and anti-gun customers have expressed concern over the visible display of military-style assault rifles in restaurants where families are eating. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and we appreciate them honoring this request. And we hope that our customers who oppose the carrying of guns in public agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

Sincerely,
    Jillian

Customer Service Consultant
    Chipotle Mexican Grill

May 21, 2014 at 12:44 am | Reply
    • beth

Rule-abiding customers will comply, and non-rule abiding patrons will not. Just like in life.

May 21, 2014 at 7:50 am | Reply
      • Tom

So what are you trying to say? That we shouldn't have rules because they are going to be broken anyways?

May 21, 2014 at 10:07 am | Reply
    • Ed - Spring, TX

I'm a very strong 2nd amendment supporter and I respect this request. Concealed carry should be enough.

May 21, 2014 at 10:03 am | Reply
  19. Fubarack

Unless it's a courtroom, sheriffs office etc, I'll bring a gun if I want, and no one will see it.

May 20, 2014 at 11:26 pm | Reply
  20. Furious Styles

The guy on the left NEEDS to be spending his money on a gym membership instead of firearms.

May 20, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Reply
  21. Dave

I'll take my buritteo from somewhere else as to not upset the illegal aliens at Chiepote

May 20, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Reply
    • Geez@Dave

Illegal aliens spell better than you do. Learn the language foreigner.

May 21, 2014 at 7:12 am | Reply
  22. Eric

Okay, in general I am a supporter of second amendment rights and the right to carry concealed firearms, but these two morons represent stupidity at its finest and are only giving other, more responsible gun advocates a bad reputation. There are no good reasons whatsoever, unless of course those that are insanely impractical and grossly hypothetical are counted, for anyone to need to carry around weapons of this kind in open view. Not only will they be the first to be killed should any altercation actually take place, but their odds of deploying these weapons successfully in a real threatening situation are probably slim to none. It's one thing to have these weapons locked away at home, but to bring them into a store and flash them around like they're toys is irresponsible and completely foolish.

May 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  23. Dave

I wonder if this activist group has any idea that Chipotle's new stance on the issue is only a scrap tossed to them to shut them up, since it has absolutely no legal standing in Texas?

May 20, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Reply
    • Cheech N. Chong

Dave's not here...

May 20, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Reply
      • Carla

LOLOLOL

May 20, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Reply
    • Justin

Except Chipotle is private property and they are well within their rights to deny service. After being asked to leave, if said individuals do not, they would be trespassing.

May 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Reply
      • Wc

May 20, 2014 at 11:53 pm | Reply
  24. Uthor

Real tough guys in the photo. One tub of lard, and one tiny, short guy (guess that's why he likes guns). Look, no one needs a gun while they eat burritos. Take your little boy fears and obsessions elsewhere.

May 20, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Reply
    • taxpayerzombie

UNotThor

May 21, 2014 at 6:25 am | Reply
  25. 1776usa2016

If these boys love guns so much, there's a recruiters office right down the street.

May 20, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Reply
    • Eric

I'd say the one on the left is a shoe-in.

May 20, 2014 at 7:59 pm | Reply
    • TDave

Yup. I wanted an AR when I was in high school, but couldn't buy one from the gun shop since I was under 21. My dad, an avid hunter, gave me a one-word answer: "Enlist".

May 20, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Reply
  26. sly

F-kn Republican gun nuts: American Taliban.

May 20, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Reply
  27. goblackhawks

Eating their food is much more dangerous than any gun ... when you hit the bathroom it is like a bazooka .

May 20, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Reply
    • Julia Child

You are what you eat.

May 21, 2014 at 7:10 am | Reply
    • Jim Shoe

That's Awesome!

May 21, 2014 at 8:50 am | Reply
  28. Truth™

Short of having metal detectors at the doors, how do they plan to enforce this? By asking pretty please?
    Sounds like another half baked, poorly thought out policy that can never be enforced.

May 20, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Reply
    • Furious Styles

It can be easily enforced. No shirt, no shoes, no service has STRICTLY been enforced at restaurants and gas stations for decades. Its a private business, break the rules and there's the door.

May 20, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Reply
      • Truth™

The difference s that you can always see if someone is not wearing a shirt or shoes. You cannot always tell if someone is carrying a weapon.

Nice strawman though...

May 21, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  29. Dave

"Just remember ! Gun free zones is where the crazies and illegal aliens like to shoot em up".
    Better watch the grammar there, your education is showing, but thanks for the heads up.
    Tony.

May 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Reply
    • Cheech N. Chong@Dave

Uh, Dave's not here...

May 20, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  30. Dave

Tony Capony

Just remember ! "Gun free zones is where the crazies and illegal aliens like to shoot em up"
    Thanks for the heads up Tony.

Tony come on we can spot that Texas education with pronunciation like that. You may not know it but rest of the country is not afraid for its life because of foreigners so relax turn off your AM radio and enjoy your life.

May 20, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Reply
    • Tony Capony

Dave don't get me wrong, I do enjoy life, But I will never let my guard down, I have no problems with foreigners, some of my best friends are from other parts of the world , But you Dave? They have respect for Americans and our Laws , Illegal aliens do not, They'll put on the act then sell your son or daughter Meth or Cocaine, Oh by the way, Thank's for correcting me on my grammar, I tend to let out my NYer , Fudgetaboutit ! Keep America Safe , Not stupid ! Thank's Dave !

May 20, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Reply
  31. Squeezebox

You can disable an assailant with a stun gun just as easily as a real gun. Difference is, there's something to arrest afterwards.

May 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Reply
    • jim

Lol where did you hear that?

May 20, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Reply
      • Homer

His friend's brother in law, had a barber, whose mailman told him. So it must be true!

May 20, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  32. Robyn

Now I understand, after looking at the picture.
    Typical NRA member.

He had to get an assault weapon he could fondle.
    Since he can't reach his penis through the blubber.

May 20, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Reply
    • Lero Boy

that's what his friend is for

May 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Reply
    • Uthor

Well, the other guy is obviously tiny. So he probably walks around afraid all of the time. So he carries a gun. But yeah, the other dude is an elephant.

May 20, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  33. Chichoreno

Chipotle's burritos are weapons of mass disaster. They do far more harm than a few gun nuts carrying heat. Okay, I see the point of this article. Don't eat their food and carry a weapon because one way or another the result will be explosive and it'll probably give guns a bad rap. Oh man, did a bomb just go off in your pants? Ewwwww

May 20, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Reply
    • Lero Boy

LAME...............

May 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  34. Robyn

McDonalds
    Do you want fries and a side of getting murdered by an idiot with that?

May 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  35. Common Sense is not Liberalism

You know, it's funny. I've been around guns my whole life and have never been ill-at-ease around them. But the other day, the dude in front of me at the store had a side-arm, and I gotta say, I was more worried about my safety than I would have been had he not had a gun. I just don't trust most people with guns, particularly hand guns.

May 20, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Reply
    • Mr. Burns

If I was a store keeper I'd rather not have people carry.
      What if that guy in front of you in line pulled it out as part of a stick up?
      At least when some derelict runs into your store waving a firearm you have a couple seconds to react.
      Otherwise its like damned you tricked me, I thought you were a red blooded patriot but no you're a bandit.

May 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Reply
      • Robyn

Don't worry, some stand-up, gun-toting, second amendment waving,
        citizen-fool will accidentally kill you while shooting it out with the perp.

Don't you feel safer now that every idiot is packing?

May 20, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Reply
        • Tony Capony

I trust them more than I would trust any Illegal alien or trailer trash meth addict ! http://youtu.be/UKwUvmZITss

May 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm |
        • Dan in CA

Wouldn't you feel safer with a million more well trained undercover police officers around? You would, right? Well, average guys like me who get trained to the same standards, given a permit, can do just as well without raising any more taxes to pay for more cops. I'm a fan of that idea!

May 20, 2014 at 10:51 pm |
        • steelers1981

Men who own gun are cowards

May 21, 2014 at 9:56 am |
        • Common Sense is not Liberalism

No, men who brandish them in a threatening manner in establishments where families gather are cowards.

May 21, 2014 at 9:57 am |
  36. hrlyridr77

This was caused by some asinine redneck trying to show off what he could do. Chipotle did not have a policy until slapped in the face with idjits toting large weapons (like you NEED an AR-15 in a restaurant in a mall) and making other customers (a larger amount of customers) uncomfortable. Hell, I carry and I aould have been uncomfortable. Look at the picture of the two jackasses...
    I'll eat at Chipotle without hesitation (wel.... maybe I'll bring tums).
    Ever hear of the phrase – Discretion is the better part of Valor?
    Why make an enemy of a company that had not chosen a side yet...

May 20, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  37. Mr. Burns

I was at a big box store the other day to get something quick.
    The place was locked down and everybody looked like they pooped themselves.
    Somebodies pistol fell out of the holster and shot a hole in the ceiling with about 100 people around.

Yeah what I need when I want to go get a burrito with my family.

May 20, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Reply
    • Homer@Mr. Burns

I am sure this made the news, can you please provide us a link?
      Otherwise, we will be forced to surmise that you aer making up the whole claim...

May 20, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Reply
      • Mr. Burns

Joo calling me a liar?

May 20, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Reply
        • Mr. Burns

No really most of these people who want to run around carrying guns in public have no idea how to use them and act responsibly

May 20, 2014 at 2:29 pm |
      • Robyn

Well, wrong again.

May 20, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  38. Amy

Good on Chipotle! I don't want to eat a taco next to some weirdo gun nuts either. I don't even understand wandering around everywhere with a firearm attached to you.. how emasculating! Might as well just tattoo, "My penis is small" across your forehead.

May 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Reply
    • Tony Capony

Oh!! if figures you don't like gun Amy, Your a drag queen, you rather just feel those hairy legs across from one of those Illegal Aliens with a Kilo of cocaine, Yeah we know your type. Adios chupa verga

May 20, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

My, you are quite the ambassador for your cause...

May 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

For all our sakes, I hope you are 12 years old. For us, it would mean you can't vote. For you, it would mean that you have an excuse for your ill-informed opinions and horrid use of the 'Merican language.

May 20, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  39. Kevin

Chipotle: Guns not welcomed. Is that like telling a lunatic, here we are sitting ducks! Like that is really going to stop a crazy nut job! Just like the McDonald's in the Summer of 1984 in San Diego when a gunman walked in and kill 21 innocent people. Chipotle, you burritos are good, but not that good!

May 20, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Reply
    • yes4me

It is America and every business has the right to run its own business as long as it doesn't discriminate based on color, race or gender. Guns has nothing to do with neither. Just because you can find one example where gun saves live does not imply gun saves life. Even if a state has a low crime rate and high amount of guns at a particular month does not imply that there is a correlation between guns and safety. What may be true this month may not be true next month.

May 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Reply
      • Tony Capony

I doubt that very much ! here is just one of many stories that the liberal media refuses to put out there, http://youtu.be/UKwUvmZITss

May 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Reply
        • Common Sense is not Liberalism

You can doubt that all you want, but do some research. Countries with strict gun laws have the lowest incidence in gun violence. Fact. It's fine to love your guns, but being willfully blind is inexcusable.

May 20, 2014 at 3:43 pm |
      • Joe

"There is only one thing that is certain and proven: The more guns there is, the more likely gun violence happens."

That statement is incorrect Switzerland's citizens are gun lovers, the country has one of the highest rates per capita in regards of weapons possession. It is one of the safest and most pacific countries in the world... it is all about education, it is all about the people, not about the number of guns

May 20, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Reply
        • Jo

Wrong! Zero guns, zero gun violence. 2 guns, maybe more gun violence. 2 million guns, much more gun violence. I'm in the US, not Switzerland. Do you live under a rock?

May 20, 2014 at 7:29 pm |
  40. John

Shame, I actually liked eating there. Oh well, lot's of other places to get a burrito that don't trample on the constitutional rights of their customers. See ya!

May 20, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Reply
    • cat0325

They are a private business and thus they are within their right to ban guns from their properties. They are not PREVENTING people from OWNING guns ... they are saying that you can not being one into their business. You can leave it locked up in your vehicle if you are out and about with your firearm ... you just can't enter with it.

May 20, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Reply
  41. AmericanHorseman

Chipolte makes an illegal demand. They have no right to ban other people's rights. I guess if they put up a sign that said "No Catholics allowed here because it makes the Muslims uncomfortable", would that be OK? Not. People should continue to "bear arms" as the Constitution allows. If stopped by any cafe or store then they should SUE them for violation of their civil and constitutional rights. That is what I do. That is what I will continue to do. I am looking forward to the day when these cases go to the Supreme Court.

May 20, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Reply
    • Jo

The constitution provides for members of a militia to bear arms. Nothing more.

May 20, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Reply
    • cat0325

You are WRONG. They are a business and they OWN the premises. They can make rules regarding what is allowable within their business ALL DAY LONG. They are NOT preventing people from OWNING firearms. They just don't want them in THEIR business. People are free to leave their firearm IN THEIR VEHICLE under lock and key while they are dining at Chipotle.

And you idiots all seem to forget the WELL-REGULATED MILITIA part of the Second Amendment. Now ... my father FOUGHT for your right to be WRONG in his career in the military. My husband and I own guns. My husband hunts and used to be a prison guard. But you IDIOTS just make lives difficult for the REAL people who want to own long guns and hand guns by being strident and having NO COMMON SENSE.

May 20, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

Bravo. I couldn't have said it better myself.

May 21, 2014 at 8:42 am | Reply
  42. Patriot!

What!?!? I thought this is 'Merica! Them liberals and O-bama is ruining lunch...

May 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply
    • Tony Capony

Its the liberal progressive agenda, There Motto?, The more people that are victims and injured, the more they will want to enroll in Obamacare ! He just released 68,000 criminal illegal aliens from jails across the country back into our street, The idiot didn't even have them Deported, and the funny or Sad thing, I should say, Is that idiot people still believe in the guy, they don't want to open there eyes because if there white and they like him, They feel guilty, if there black , well you now the smart one can't stand him and the illegal aliens just love him with 11 million the where granted amnesty, Irresponsibility at its best.

May 20, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

They're does not equal their does not equal there. You been buying your scrips from Rushbo? I hear he's got the good stuff. Makes you see and believe all kinds of crazy crap.

May 20, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Reply
        • Tony Capony

Common Sense is not Liberalism , YOU got that right ! That why this country is going down fast, because of those idiots

May 20, 2014 at 3:12 pm |
      • Plato

Do you see what is going on? Pretty soon all of Central and South American people will have moved to the US and then I'll have the rest of America all to myself.

May 21, 2014 at 4:37 am | Reply
    • yes4me

Obama has not passed a single bill for gun control. Don't blame the president for private business decisions.
      You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

May 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Reply
      • Tony Capony

LOL !! HAHAHA ! I don't know what I'm talking about ? are you sure ? The Idiot President lies all the time and you believe him?? LOL WOW your a big time sucker!

May 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Reply
        • Common Sense is not Liberalism

So, according to you, stating a fact is a waste of time. Hmm. I guess when you buy what the pundits are selling, (and trust me, they are selling) facts are pretty much useless. I guess as long as we make all our decisions based on pre-packaged emotions sold to us by people with opinions and microphones, the country will be doing great.

May 20, 2014 at 3:36 pm |
  43. Truth™

The first fallacy of this story is referring to Chipotle as "food"...

May 20, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • Tony Capony

Its where they hire Illegal aliens !

May 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Reply
  44. Tony Capony

Just remember ! Gun free zones is where the crazies and illegal aliens like to shoot em up, Why ? No one to stop them for along time before the Police show up! I feel much safer seeing a citizen caring a registered assault rifle than an Illegal alien hiding one , C'mon you idiot liberals don't you have any common sense,

May 20, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • Cory

Please enlighten us on your infallible method of identifying someone's citizenship just by looking at them?

May 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

Shoot first, ask questions later. Especially if the person is brown. And they don't speak 'Merican.

May 20, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Reply
      • Tony Capony

They can't speak English Cory Duh ! if figures Liberals have no common sense, Just feelings OH My! those poor terrorist they just love us too! OH OH OH !

May 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Reply
        • Common Sense is not Liberalism

If we go with the "not speaking English" argument, I guess you would be an illegal alien yourself, as you seem to have an inability to use the language appropriately or form a coherent thought.

May 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm |
    • Common Sense is not Liberalism

I've owned, fired and collected firearms my whole life. I can count on only ONE hand the people I trust to SAFELY carry guns around me. That said, why should I trust just any dumb paranoid redneck I've never met to be safe with one? For all I know, he's more likely to shoot people accidentally whether during an altercation or not. Also, I have never seen an altercation where I felt more guns would help the situation. And if you live in an area where you need to be paranoid all the time, either stop drinking the right wing-nut Kool-Aid, or move to a place where people don't shoot at each other (those places are pretty common outside of Texas, Mexas, Amexica, or whatever that state is now).

May 20, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Reply
    • Kevin

Liberalism is synonymous with Stupidity.

May 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

Liberalism and Conservatism are myths (in this country anyway. Thank the media.) and anyone who doesn't understand that probably didn't get past the eight grade and/or got their education in a red state.

May 20, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Reply
      • yes4me

Great argument. You have proven your IQ is around a table.

May 20, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Reply
      • Ego

Kevin is synonymous with dipsh!t.

May 20, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Reply
    • Jon Bean

I'm one of them libruls and I'm also a gun owner. Gasp! The difference between me and those fools in the pictures is that I recognize that firearms aren't toys and I'm not about to treat them that way. Frankly, with these typesof bozos walking around with what looks like AR-15s I feel a lot LESS safe, considering that at the range they'd have to use them, coupled with the large magazines, they'd likely injure or kill bystanders. Five or six unqualified battle rifle wielding idiots shooting it out with a perp in a crowded restaurant during a panic situation probably aren't going to notice little sally and jonny in the background. Just saying...

May 20, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  45. Blimfark Smith

Agree re: supporting 2nd Amendment but just having a right doesn't give one carte blanche to flaunt it. The 1st Amendment gives me the right to call the other patrons' mothers horrible names – pretty sure I'd be asked to leave most establishments if I did. This is an aggressive demonstration, not a response to an immediate security threat. Please leave the big iron at home!

May 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Reply
  46. jim

Welcome to Moes!

May 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Reply
    • Common Sense is not Liberalism

You win. BTW, is their food any good?

May 20, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Reply
      • Tony Capony

Well there cooks are Illegal aliens and after a friend of mine went there and eat , he got sick , If your trust Illegal aliens that might spit on your food , I stay clear from any restaurants that hire Illegal aliens, and would go to a restaurant with American citizens packing all kind of rifles and Guns, I think that would be fun, American workers only !

May 20, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Reply
        • SHB

And you know they are illegal aliens how, exactly?

May 20, 2014 at 6:11 pm |
        • Tony Capony's Ghost

Well because they're obviously mexican. All mexicans are illegal.

May 21, 2014 at 6:56 am |
        • Common Sense is not Liberalism

And the left side of my brain looked at the right side of my brain and said, "It's dark in here, and we may die.".

May 21, 2014 at 12:35 pm |
  47. Analystgirl

Thank you Chipotle for providing a gun free environment where I can eat a burrito without worrying about some gun nut showing off his 'junk'.

May 20, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Reply
    • Dave

Given your name, would you marry me?

May 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Reply
    • Tony Capony

HA ! I'm bringing my AR-15 !With all the illegal aliens they hire ? They might have an automatic machine gun behind the counter, Thank's but no thank's !

May 20, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Reply
    • Tony Capony

Like if the criminals really care ! OH LOOK a gun free zone, More people to kill , Shoot them all down, 500 bullets in less then 3 minutes, It take 5 to 10 minutes for the Police to show up jack ass

May 20, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Reply
      • Common Sense is not Liberalism

Think about the logistics of your argument. If criminals don't care, then they probably don't care if someone is packing "self defense". The criminal has the element of surprise. It would take an eternity to get an assault rifle un-shouldered, mounted, and pointed at the correct person, and that's only if you don't have a burrito in your hands and beans running down your bolo tie. So the criminal has already brained your paranoid and unprepared butt before you can even think about turning off your safety.

May 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Reply
    • Amy

Agreed

May 20, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  48. J

Assault is an act, not an object and another company caves to the ever increasing shredding of the Constitution. We're not giving up our rights because they "make people uncomfortable." That being said, by making a big deal out of it, they've made it into a big deal, so to speak. Responsible firearm owners don't flaunt ownership. "Look at me! They allow guns inside so I'll take pictures of myself with my AR while standing at the counter." Just draws the wrong kind of attention.

May 20, 2014 at 12:33 pm | Reply
    • Common Sense is not Liberalism

Great point. I was taught from a young age that guns were a tool, not something to showboat. I would be ostracized immediately from my circle of shooting/gun collecting friends if I pulled a stunt like that. We are well aware that extremist acts are only more likely to taint public opinion of gun owners. But that said, from what I'm seeing, I strongly believe the percentage of respectable gun owners is going down in this country.

May 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Reply
    • T

The problem isn't just that guns "make people uncomfortable", it's that it borders on the legal definition of menacing – if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury. The problem with open carry is that the intentions of those carrying are not known. Imagine being a patron in that restaurant seeing someone walk in with an AR. Would your first thought honestly be "well, that person is a responsible owner exercising their constitutional rights"? Or would you be highly suspicious, placing your hand close to your concealed weapon? Look, I'm all for concealed carry and responsible gun ownership. But look at that dork on the right, butt of the gun up on his shoulder, finger off but above the trigger...is that something that tells the public "I'm a responsible gun owner"?

May 20, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Reply
      • Dave

How is simple possession of an item "menacing"? It isn't the gun owner's fault someone else panics at the sight of a simple mechanical device.

Here's a clue...a person intending to commit a crime with a weapon usually doesn't walk around with that weapon in full view.

By the way, the finger position you describe is called "indexing", and is a very common practice. That position allows a person to employ safe trigger control, having nothing actually touching the trigger, while allowing fast acquisition of the trigger if necessary. Every time I've had to draw my duty sidearm, my finger has automatically indexed.

May 20, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Reply
        • Common Sense is not Liberalism

Context is everything. You don't brandish weapons at the dinner table. Did your mother teach you nothing? These two idiots meant to look menacing. Anyone who doubts that doesn't understand human nature very well. BTW, indexing is a manner in which you are prepared to exercise your intent to shoot. I was taught that your finger NEVER approaches the trigger in any fashion unless you are absolutely prepared to destroy what is in front of your muzzle. When you draw your duty sidearm (which pretty much any cop will tell you, almost never happens, so I doubt the veracity of your comment) your intent is to be prepared to shoot, correct? So, by definition, these guys were prepared to open fire in a restaurant full of families. So, yes, this is appropriately considered menacing.

May 21, 2014 at 10:19 am |
    • Tony Capony

Absolutely J ! but some of these liberals rather see drag queens and weed for them to feel safe

May 20, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Reply
      • Plato

Yes Sir, because when the crazy paranoid people that make up the majority of the Tea Party start shooting we figure you'll be shooting at stoners and gays first.

May 21, 2014 at 4:41 am | Reply
  49. RC

Bringing your assault (style) rifle into a restaurant? Really!? I'm a staunch advocate of open carry laws, but that's just asinine.

May 20, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Reply