May 14th, 2014

Texas claims it’s the home of barbecue. But according to a recent list on TripAdvisor.com, the Lone Star state comes in third behind Georgia and North Carolina. CNN affiliate WFAA went to a few well known barbecue joints in Dallas to get reaction from residents.

But the debate wasn't only flaring up in Texas. As soon as word of the list spread across CNN bureaus, our inboxes ignited with passionate missives from editors, anchors, producers and even members of our legal team stumping for their regional favorites.

Advocates for North Carolina (East and West), South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas all made passionate cases - which we'll share in the next few days - but we want to hear from you. Was the TripAdvisor list accurate in its selection of Georgia as the top 'cue destination, or would you suggest another?

Share your top regions and specific barbecue joints in the comments below (they must be open to the public - though surely your cousin Earl makes excellent ribs), and we'll assemble your picks and ours for a follow-up in the near future.

Previously:
Eat This List: 9 tips for judging (and winning) competition barbecue
5 slices of barbecue wisdom
Risk a brisket on the grill
How to cook ribs
Picking the pig, flipping the hog
Busting barbecue myths
Rescue group brings relief in the form of barbecue

Posted by:
Filed under: Barbecue

1. Björn Pörn

Two words I always associate with my meat: 'rub' and 'sauce.'

May 16, 2014 at 10:23 am | Reply
  2. McDonalds

McRib, nuf said.

May 16, 2014 at 10:12 am | Reply
  3. VladT

I think its hilarious that all of you self-proclaimed cooks claim you make the best bbq at home. That is hard to believe, and it would take us to taste it to decide whether we agree with you or not.

Tell you what....cook your best bbq, invite me over, I'll bring the beer and anything else, and then I'll decide
    (Tragic plea from Sacramento, CA, where the "best bbq" was from a Tony Roma's that closed). Please? Anybody?

Dang

May 16, 2014 at 7:03 am | Reply
    • AleeD®@VladT

You posted at 4am from Sac, CA. Insomnia?

May 16, 2014 at 7:29 am | Reply
      • JellyBean

I think he works the night shift.

May 16, 2014 at 7:45 am | Reply
        • VladT

JellyBean is correct....almost off, and instead of eggs, I am sadly craving BBQ which cannot be found amongst the Sacramento trees

May 16, 2014 at 9:57 am |
        • Björn Pörn

There's an Arby's over on Truxel. Best BBQ in Sac town.

May 16, 2014 at 10:34 am |
        • VladT

LOL......

Sadly, you are correct

May 16, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
      • Thinking things through

Don't knock insomnia. It works for the best and for the worst of us... ;)

May 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Reply
    • Moderate Extremist

I think he's an aśšhole.

May 16, 2014 at 8:52 am | Reply
      • Troll

go away.

May 16, 2014 at 9:15 am | Reply
        • Moderate Extremist

It's a free country, you fascist.

May 16, 2014 at 9:19 am |
        • VladT

We love all freedoms.

Still, go away

May 16, 2014 at 9:58 am |
      • VladT

Right back atcha, cupcake ;)

May 16, 2014 at 9:57 am | Reply
  4. alex

Eastern NC is the only true barbeque. Barbecue is slow cooked pig. Not beef. That is just grilling. Brisket isn't barbeque, it's brisket. Much closer to steak than barbecue. Just like you don't barbeque on a grill, that is grilling out or cooking out. Must have a pig cooker or smoker for true barbeque! Oh yeah, and vinegar based is the only way to roll. Sorry, no ketchup based and damn sure no mustard based!

May 16, 2014 at 12:36 am | Reply
    • annebeth66

I agree. My Mother is from Eastern NC and they have the best BBQ. She likes hers chopped, but I prefer shredded. Making my mouth water just thinking about it. Hot vinegar is the only sauce we use. Little cole slaw on the side, some hush puppies, along with baked beans & Brunswick stew and you have a real meal.

May 16, 2014 at 10:29 am | Reply
  5. Wayne

Scott's BBQ, Hemingway, S.C. old fashioned pit cooked with oak and hickory wood.

May 15, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Reply
  6. Thinking things through

Wow, just noticed, this IS a hot topic! NINE pages of posts!

May 15, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  7. Thinking things through

Each of the types of regional barbecues are essentially different meals, different species. It's like comparing apples to oranges. For me, I'll dial up the vinegar and dial down the sugars - if I want dessert, I'll eat chocolate.

May 15, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Reply
    • Wayne

You must be form eastern North or South Carolina.

May 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Reply
    • annebeth66

Agree it is hard to compare beef vs. pork; hot vinegar, mayo (parts of AL), ketchup, mustard or paprika based sauces. I've tried them all and all were good, I just prefer Eastern NC. It is a regional thing that makes it fun to see how each area does BBQ.

May 16, 2014 at 10:35 am | Reply
  8. Russ Story

Georgia has ALWAYS had the best...
    Glad the truth came out.

May 15, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  9. KCBBQ

Kansas City is the absolute BEST! My favorites are Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue, preferably the Martin City location. I haven't tried Oklahoma Joe's yet, but have heard it's great. Quick's Bar-B-Q in Kansas City KS is great, as is LC's Bar-B-Q in Kansas City, MO is another great choice. I can't stand southern BBQ. No offense to Texas and Georgia, but when you cut your teeth on KC BBQ, everything else pales in comparison.

May 15, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Reply
  10. Echome

May 15, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  11. Echome

Dreamland BBQ in Alabama has had VIP visitors like presidents

May 15, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Reply
    • Noxin

That doesn't mean the food is any good.

May 15, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • KenR

I am a fan of many styles of barbeque, pulled pork, beef and chicken from all over the South. But Dreamland BBQ in Alabama has the best ribs anywhere!

May 15, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Reply
    • Ronald M

it hasnt had as many celebs and presidents as McDonalds so it must be worse than McDonalds

May 15, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Reply
  12. DebT

The best BBQ in the world, in my OPINION, is in my own back yard. I have traveled the country and tried a lot of BBQ joints from Georgia, Florida, Kansas City. My husband and I grill/BBQ/smoke all kinds of beef, pork, chicken quite often. We go on line and find recipes for sauces and rubs from all over the country. We have tried Texas dry rubs, Carolina dry rubs, even Jamaican Jerk rubs. But the best flavor to us in the Kansas City rubs and sauces. Like I said, this is in my opinion. But I just love trying foods from all over this great country of ours. North, South, East and West.

May 15, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Reply
    • Thinking things through

Sounds like the way to do it!

May 15, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Reply
  13. Mowgli

Best BBQ? Easy - Lays BBQ potato chips.

May 15, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  14. krehator

Sigh, Texans and their ego's.

May 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Reply
    • HouTex

Everything's bigger in Texas.

May 15, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Reply
      • AleeD®

Really? ~_~

May 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Reply
        • Texas Ted

That's right, li'l darlin.' EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas, especially my 8=====>

May 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm |
        • Thinking things through

Texas Ted – and when you leave the state does it get smaller??

May 15, 2014 at 7:49 pm |
  15. HouTex

My top places in Texas ...
    1. Franklin's
    2. Snow
    3. City Market in Luling, TX
    4. Smitty's
    5. Black's

May 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Reply
  16. Greg J

BBQ is a method of cooking, not the final product. You can start with pork (as we do in NC) and get a great result. There are some pork BBQ better than others, some differences between Eastern and Western style, but that's an individual preference. If you start with Beef brisket (as we do in TX), you can get a great result. I happen to like the BBQ Brisket the best, but pork runs close second.

May 15, 2014 at 12:51 pm | Reply
    • seven brown

Ask any true BBQ aficionado... BBQ is a noun- NOT a verb. And its definitely not a grill or a party. You don't BBQ steaks, or cook hamburgers on the BBQ, or invite your neighbors over for a BBQ. You EAT BBQ, which is a delicious, tender, smoked, and perfectly seasoned mound of meat-preferably pulled pork. Some would even argue that "if it ain't pork, it ain't BBQ."

May 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Reply
      • Echome

Yayayayaya = hahahahaha in Spanish

May 15, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Reply
      • Jeffrey D.

Indeed.

May 15, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Reply
      • Dr. H. Lector

BBQ is an attitude; a way of life for some. BBQ is an old friend you're having for dinner...

May 15, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Reply
      • James

Seven nailed it. BBQ is the noun bag describes the fruits of your labors. Smoking is the verb that defines how you create your BBQ.

A BBQ is never a generic term for a grill...that's just ignorance and a lack of respect for the art of BBQ.

I say this as I spent my day waking around the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cookkng Contest.

May 15, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Reply
    • KenR

I'm not from Texas, but the best brisket I ever had was in Midland, TX. What a treat!

May 15, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  17. HB

Reading through all these comments I see people debating which part of the United States has the best food, the nicest people, and who is to blame for America's ignorance. However, the past does not matter because it makes us as a country grow. The present would not be the way it is today without it. Therefore, we should be proud of what we have learned from our mistakes. We are not determined by class, geographic location, gender, race, age, or religion because our country allows change. We are all united as a hole and that is what truly matters.

May 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Reply
    • John Malcolm

Dude – this about BBQ, have a little fun here and lighten up....BBQ is a passion, bring it!! No room for Debbie Downers 'round here................

May 15, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Reply
      • Beavis

Heh-heh. HB said "a hole" Heh-heh.

May 15, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  18. Mike

Big John's Alabama BBQ in Tampa is soooooo good. But Texas is good too.

May 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  19. JenniferG

I was born and raised in Georgia. Georgia is known for their pulled pork sandwich. Personally I think it is the most disgusting thing ever made. It's wet, slimy, and just all round nasty!! I have lived in Texas for three years now. I have to say that I never liked BBQ until I moved here. Lockhart's in Bishop Arts District in Dallas has the best BBQ I've ever eaten. It's funny how things like this always turn into bashing the south. The South has ignorant people just as the north does, but that has nothing to do with good BBQ!

May 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  20. Eddie

I was born and raised in the south, until I recently moved to Colorado. I have had BBQ in numerous states, including, Texas, Louisiana, Colorado, Nebraska, Virginia, and Florida. Although I have not personally had BBQ in Georgia, Alabama, or Kansas City, Florida BBQ is by far the best, and I would put that up against any other state. If you are ever down in the Orlando area, check out Four Rivers BBQ, but be prepared to wait!

May 15, 2014 at 11:56 am | Reply
  21. World-Wide Texan

Where ever you're visiting, eat what the're famous for... don't order pulled pork in Kansas or "sliced beef" in Alabama. It's like getting chicken nuggets anywhere. It's on the menu to satisfy everyone's wants, but that doesn't mean it will be as good as the house specialty.

May 15, 2014 at 11:51 am | Reply
  22. Brian

I have had BBQ all over, and Memphis BBQ is the best, without a doubt. Central BBQ and Corky's to be more specific.

May 15, 2014 at 11:42 am | Reply
  23. Dave

Who cares? I mean, really? It is personal preference. Which religion is best? Let's talk about that since it's less controversial.

Eat what you like, people.

May 15, 2014 at 11:40 am | Reply
    • JRock

That's what I say dude, eat it all!! Bring it! Even dry BBQ is worth eating. Can't say that I've ever left any on my plate wherever it came from.

May 15, 2014 at 11:47 am | Reply
  24. Hipster

BBQ stinks and I would not feed it to my dog.

May 15, 2014 at 11:34 am | Reply
  25. Loryncello

For Beef BBQ, you can't beat Texas. For pork, Georgia rules.

May 15, 2014 at 11:30 am | Reply
    • mike

Try "for everything else"...not just pork.

May 15, 2014 at 11:32 am | Reply
  26. mike

Sorry Texas...but southeastern BBQ crushes you. Texas BBQ is good but it's an also ran.

May 15, 2014 at 11:30 am | Reply
  27. Andrew

NC BBQ is the best! And it's the vinegar based sauce that rules. I am from NC but now live in Nashville. When I'm back in NC the first thing I want is BBQ. Little Richards in Winston-Salem is a favorite. When I head back to TN I smuggle some on the plane for later ...... oops I hope TSA isn't listening.

BTW NC BBQ is chopped not pulled pork.

May 15, 2014 at 11:30 am | Reply
  28. albert

They obviously have never been in Argentina, Brazil and Australia.

May 15, 2014 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • mike

Why would those be on a list of top BBQ in the US?

May 15, 2014 at 11:31 am | Reply
  29. houstondoc

Im not from texas but live here currently. Thi thing that Texas has over other places is simply the variety of BBQ. Every piece of meat you can imagine has potential in the eyes of a texas BBQ fanatic. In North and S. Carolina its pulled pork. Memphis and KC its port ribs. But Texas there is just such a variety and broad experience that its just a world apart.

May 15, 2014 at 11:28 am | Reply
  30. Mike Hunt

MEMPHIS!

May 15, 2014 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • Mary Freeman

Everyone knows Memphis BBQ is the best/ I will be at BBQ Fest tonight!

May 15, 2014 at 11:54 am | Reply
  31. aardvark

Too many distinct styles to argue about effectively, but Georgia doesn't belong on ANY BBQ list. That said, the list goes Texas, Western NC, Eastern NC, MO, TN, everybody else, in that order.

May 15, 2014 at 11:24 am | Reply
    • Johnny America

No Georgia? Your list automatically fails.

May 15, 2014 at 11:32 am | Reply
    • Joshua

While Georgia may not be the top destination, saying we don't belong on any list is absolutely ridiculous. Why? because we don't have our "Own" style So our BBQ is "lesser" than others? That just opens us up. You can find any style you want here, and people love it. Plenty of great joints here serving chicken, pork, beef, Mostly Carolina style-vinegar sauces, but you can find Mustard based sauces, tomato based sauces, straight up dry rubs. You can find good versions of any style here, which I doubt is true about many of the other states on the list.

May 15, 2014 at 11:35 am | Reply
    • KCBBQ

Kansas City BBQ is hands down the BEST! I have had Georgia BBQ – couldn't stomach it. Too much vinegar and not enough smoky flavor.

May 15, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  32. Johnny America

Southern states have the best food, best climate and nicest people. Northern states have terrible food, nasty weather and nasty and cold people. Maybe the climate and food determine how big of A holes the people are.

May 15, 2014 at 11:23 am | Reply
    • A in NC

Are you kidding? Southern food is crap. Southern people are the phoniest and least trustworthy in the us.

The south is the embarrassing inbred cousin of the US!!

May 15, 2014 at 11:33 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

You are wrong and ignorant. Nobody talks about how great northern food is. There are no restaurants I know of that claim to make northern food. The people are horrible. NY, CT, NJ, PA and MA are known to be full of mean spirited jerks who the rest of the nation despises. People are stabbed and lay dying on the sidewalk while people walk by.

May 15, 2014 at 11:40 am | Reply
        • MIDWESTERNER

So you put a link up to one story you heard about to prove that all people from the north are "a holes". Good job. I'm sure in the history of our country that has never happened down south.

May 15, 2014 at 11:47 am |
        • Johnny America

It is a recent story and it proves my point. Someone in Atlanta would have called 911

I am sorry that my evidence of how cold and callous people from the north are has upset you but you need to face reality.

May 15, 2014 at 11:49 am |
        • Ronald M

you really have no idea how many american food staples originated in the north then, especially Chicago and New York if youve never seen a restaurant with "nothern" food. Youve never seen a pizza, wings, burger, sub, or hot dog place?

May 15, 2014 at 6:05 pm |
    • Todd

As a northerner I see things different.
      The south has unhealthy food, no seasons, and fake friendly people, who will be all smiles and will stab you in the back at the opportunity.
      What you call unfriendly, up in the north we call it honest.
      In terms of local foods, being that we have a shorter growing season means we have less diversity.
      By Bad weather, you mean snow during the winter, that we are able to drive in all year around.

May 15, 2014 at 11:36 am | Reply
      • A in NC

Oh my god, you nailed it!! I've been in NC for 21 years and have observed the exact same thing. Lived in Iowa also. Midwesterners are the nicest people by far.

May 15, 2014 at 11:39 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

As a person who grew up in the south and now lives up north for college I can tell you that you are wrong. The food is terrible unless it is foreign and the people are atrocious. There is a reason people do not think favorbaly about the northern states. The fact that more people move to southern states than to northern states for retirement says a lot about the weather and people. Northern people are phony and also mean spirited. They are not very welcoming and do not know proper decorum.

Again, having lived in both places I can tell you for sure that there is a reason the fastest growing cities are mostly located in the southern states.

May 15, 2014 at 11:45 am | Reply
        • A in NC

Yeah, low taxes.

The south is fine and would be an ok place if not for all of the southerners. Luckily, it is being gentrified by all of the people moving in from the northeast and Midwest. Otherwise, the locals would all still be sitting around on their porches in their overalls eating way overlooked bland food and swatting flies.

May 15, 2014 at 11:57 am |
        • Johnny America

You are once again highlighting your ignorance. If you are retiring then why would you move to a state like Florida with no income tax? Keep in mind, you are retired and do not have income to tax...didn't think about that did you? You are not a very intelligent person. I would have thought that by now you would have made an actual point instead of relying on stereotypes and other forms of ignorance.

May 15, 2014 at 12:12 pm |
        • durmerica

New York and Chicago are considered as 2 of the best food cities in the world, they are America's ONLY cities that are even considered when talking about best food cities in the world. To say the north has no good food is utterly insane.

May 15, 2014 at 6:13 pm |
    • RC @ Johnny A$$hole

Pretty broad brush there buddy.

May 15, 2014 at 11:40 am | Reply
    • MIDWESTERNER

Really? Nasty people? Because us folks from the midwest are known around the country for our manners. In fact when I go on vacation people know right away I'm from the midwest because I'm polite. Maybe your assumption means you're an "a Hole".

May 15, 2014 at 11:42 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

You are not very intelligent. The midwest is not the northeast. Iowa and Kansas ans all those other states are not NY,CT,NJ,MA,VT,NH and PA. Nobody cares about the midwest. Its pretty bland.

May 15, 2014 at 11:47 am | Reply
        • MIDWESTERNER

And your comments are just proving how ignorant you are. Calling me unintelligent hurt my feelings, I'm going to go cry now because our southern boy is making fun of me. By the way you talk about how decent people in the South are. I agree for the most part. I've been to Arkansas a few times everyone was great. You however don't seem like one of those people.

May 15, 2014 at 11:52 am |
        • Johnny America

I have lived in the north for many years now and other people say Im not mean I am being honest. You are not very intelligent. It is evidenced through your many replies. I have provided evidence of my claims.

May 15, 2014 at 11:55 am |
    • JRock

This is a stupid argument (north vs. south mean people, etc) started by a troll. The topic is good BBQ.

May 15, 2014 at 11:49 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

Actually the topic is how food can be considered a factor in temperament. That and the weather can effect things like community. I do not see the large gatherings for food up north that I do down south. The food is prepared by a group in the south and becomes a central event in the community, which is what a BBQ really was. Northern food and preparation encourages individuals to remain separate, I will say this though, the clambake and lobster boil are exceptions but they are traditionally done in rural parts of New England.

May 15, 2014 at 11:53 am | Reply
        • JRock

No troll, the topic is BBQ. Read for once..."Share your top regions and specific barbecue joints in the comments below " It didn't say to start an argument over North vs. South, temperament, climate, attitude, etc. For someone claiming to be from the south and claiming that folks in the NE are rude a holes, you sure are fitting right in up there!

May 15, 2014 at 12:04 pm |
    • SeaVik

I've lived in the south and the north. The south does not have the best food – in fact, it generally sucks. Bbq, biscuits, deep fried grizzle...all can be good occassionally, but not really in the same league as real food.

As for weather, the summers and falls in the north are a thousand times better. The winter is the winter.

May 15, 2014 at 11:49 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

Yeah, you don't know what you are talking about. You are speaking about a stereotype which means you either do not live in the south or you only go to KFC. Gumbo is not fried.

The weather is much better. That what pretty much everyone agrees upon. That is why people take vacations there and retire there. Winter is very mild there and blizzards are rare. Summers are not much worse than anywhere else. I have been in NYC during July when it was 101 out and 95 in Miami. The millions of retirees who move south and the lack of even half the same for people moving north proves my point.

May 15, 2014 at 11:59 am | Reply
        • SeaVik

I've been to 47 states and have lived in the north and the south. Pretty sure I know a lot more about the subject than you.

May 15, 2014 at 12:04 pm |
        • Johnny America

I have LIVED in both places. Not just visited. I also have facts on my side. More people are moving south, not north.

May 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm |
        • SeaVik

Can you read? I just stated in my very first sentence that I have lived in both. I lived in Nashville for five years and visited many other places in the south during that time. I do like Nashville a lot, but I much prefer the north for a number of reasons, food, people and weather being three of them.

May 15, 2014 at 12:14 pm |
        • Johnny America

You apparently cannot read. You do not count. The vast majority do not agree with you. You have a contrarian position. You are an outlier. I am not. I have yet to meet anyone from the south who moved up here and thinks it has better weather, people and food. Even the nation agrees, Southern food has been voted the best region food. The southern accent is the favorite, with the least being that from Boston.

May 15, 2014 at 12:28 pm |
    • Keeper

Do you include Washington and Alaska in "northern" states? If you do, you are missing out! Have you ever tried Copper River Salmon?

May 15, 2014 at 11:55 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

No, that is an entirely different area and I agree, the food is great there.

May 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Reply
        • SeaVik

Did you just say you don't consider Alaska and Washington to be northern states? I guess they don't teach geography in the south.

May 15, 2014 at 12:15 pm |
        • No Capeche

And Florida isn't the South either. Go figure.

May 15, 2014 at 12:19 pm |
        • Johnny America

Well Seavik, Compared to Canada those places are not...so check your map for a geography lesson. It is well understood when the term "northern" is applies. So nice try but you are not doing it right.

As for the comment about Florida, I can tell you that having lived there for 18 years of my life you are wrong. Miami, and only really the area right around the inlet, is the only portion of the state that is not like the rest. It is more Latin American and tropical.

May 15, 2014 at 12:23 pm |
        • No Capeche

If you were any more full of yourself, you'd explode.

Hey, there's an idea ...

May 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm |
        • SeaVik

"Well Seavik, Compared to Canada those places are not"

This just gets better and better. I have to conclude that you seriously don't realize that Alaska is in fact connected to the NORTHwest part of Canada. Incredible that the south is raising children who think Alaska is south of Canada.

May 15, 2014 at 12:38 pm |
        • Really?

How about you ladies just get yourselves a room already?

May 15, 2014 at 1:15 pm |
    • SeaVik

Southern people are the nicest? Uh, yeah, as long as you're white, male, straight and of the right religion.

Food is a thousand times better in the north. Sure, there is good bbq in the south and they know how to use a deep fryer, but when it comes to real food, it's not even close.

I've lived in both the south and the north. Oh, and anyone who thinks the weather is better in the south hasn't spent a summer there. I'd much rather have sunny cold winters than hot humid disgusting summers.

May 15, 2014 at 11:55 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

I have lived in both places for many years and I can tell you that you are wrong. NOBODY says " I want some northern food" lol. Even that phrase sounds stupid. As for the climate, the summers are not bad, it gets 90s in CT where I am. In the winter it gets well below freezing and even below 0 at sometimes. Roads are blocked because of the snow. That is why people save their entire lives to move out of a northern home and into a mobile home or low rent condo down south.

May 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Reply
        • SeaVik

Yeah, no one ever says they want NY pizza or Chicago pizza or Pacific Northwest seafood. No one considers San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle and New York to be the best food cities in the country. I have never heard of anyone considering any southern city to be the best food city in the country, or even in the top 5.

I will agree with you I’d never want to live in CT. I lived in NYC for long enough and had enough of that. However, most of the north is much nicer than the south in my opinion. Sure, old people get to the point where they don’t move much and are comfortable sitting in 100 degree humidity and too frail to shovel snow in the winter. And since they’re retired and need to spend less, they go somewhere less desirable for younger people (the south) where costs are less.

May 15, 2014 at 12:11 pm |
        • Johnny America

LOL you gave me 2 examples of Pizza(Italian) and then named some other part of the country.

Here, I will help you out, since you seem incapable of doing this correctly...New England clam chowder. That is about it...

There is a difference between restaurants and actual food of the community. Miami and Atlanta are often in lists for top food cities. Austin Texas is also well known.

You seem to recognize you have no real point other than you don't like that I am speaking the truth so you have to resort to naming 2 kinds of pizza (which is Italian and not really "northern" or "northeastern", an area which is not considered the north, but is the northwest and then you claim restaurants, which are usually run by people who did not even grow up in the USA and often don't specialize in American cuisine. Very very weak response.

May 15, 2014 at 12:19 pm |
        • Johnny America

Well I am done with this. I have proved my point.

May 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm |
        • SeaVik

The pizza in New York and Chicago is no more Italian than Cajun is French or Southern is African (since the food is rooted in slavery). The food in New Jersey alone is better than anything I’ve ever had in the south. There are all kinds of food in every city I’ve lived in the north that are unique to the region, and most of it is better than BBQ.

Clearly, you don’t understand geography, so I’m not sure why you raised this debate in the first place. You’ve stated that Alaska isn’t in the north. Now you’re disqualifying Seattle since it’s in the Northwest, but you include CT, which is in the Northeast. You’ve also eliminated the Midwest. So there’s really nothing left to consider the North, so I don’t even know what you’re talking about (and clearly, neither do you).

May 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm |
    • A in NC

As for climate, it's great if you like sweating.

May 15, 2014 at 11:59 am | Reply
      • Johnny America

I hate to break it to you but places like NYC see temperatures of 100. So there goes that argument.

May 15, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Reply
        • A in NC

Not for 5 months and not with 95% humidity. Everyone down here is either inside in the AC, or swimming if hey are outside.

May 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm |
    • Huh?

I live in Florida and its way hotter down here because of the humidity and it rains everyday. Yes it gets hot up North during the summer but nothing like it does in Florida. 100 degrees in NYC is 100 degrees. 96 degrees in Florida is like 115 degrees. As far as nice people, you must be a white male living in the south because you wouldnt think everyone is as nice if you werent. Thats a fact! The food is ok but not the best. Since this is about BBQ i can tell you that Kansas City probably has the best BBQ I've ever had (never had Texas but have had NC and Georgia).

May 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  33. Legran

My family is originally from South Carolina and there are records of us barbecuing hogs there as early as 1802 (neighbor claimed we rustled and cooked one of his for a party, but he was a no show at the trial) but my branch came to Texas in 1840. However, I go back every two years for family reunions and they have a local guy come in and cook what they call barbecue. Its like potted meat in a mustard sauce with cole slaw piled on top. Ugh. Give me some brisket and sausage from Louie Mueller's any day.

May 15, 2014 at 11:20 am | Reply
  34. elvamc

I live in TX, and I have to admit that I have found the BBQ subpar to many places that I've been to accross the country. Before I moved here I had visions of smokers on street corners serving only the finest cuts of perfectly smoked meats. Not so, and honestly I don't even know why I had that vision...probably a dream. The best BBQ I have ever had was from a vendor on the side of the road somewhere near Huntsville, AL. It was in 1992, my dad was stationed at Arnold AB in TN. I remember it like is was yesterday and have never tasted anything as good since. It was a pulled pork sandwich with a vinegar based sauce and a couple of sliced pickles...and it was Amazing.

May 15, 2014 at 11:18 am | Reply
  35. JMcCray

Also, growing up, we never called it pulled pork, that was what you had at a pig pickin', because alot of the meat you just pulled off the pig with the fork. BBQ is chopped, and the chop is important as well, some people make it real fine, others coarse.

May 15, 2014 at 11:11 am | Reply
  36. hingemusic

Trip advisor probably lumped in pork BBQ with Beef BBQ and the testers probably went for the pork over the beef. being a lifelong BBQ fan,I always offer this anecdote, It's near impossible to screw up bacon cooked on low heat for 14 hours. Slather on a bunch of sugar in the form of sauce and the trip advisor people probably fell for it as most people do. Texas BBQ is all about no sauce. It truly is an art form to transform the worst cut of beef into succulent tender good eats. And to make it that way with nothing slathered on top of it is even more amazing. Pig is always gonna be good. Beef is a little trickier. That's why among folks really in the know always choose Texas BBQ as the best – just takes a lot more skill to do it.

May 15, 2014 at 11:09 am | Reply
  37. bruce

Top 6 in no particular order

Sugar's BBQ in Chatttanooga, TN
    Blackjacks in Huntsville, AL
    Big Daddy's in Warrior, AL
    SAW's in Birmingham, AL
    Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX
    Pappy's in St. Louis, MO

May 15, 2014 at 11:06 am | Reply
    • Tony

Salt Lick in Driftwood TX is good but there are a dozen places that are better within a half hour drive.

May 15, 2014 at 11:17 am | Reply
    • Peter

No serious list fails to include Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill, NC

May 15, 2014 at 11:23 am | Reply
    • JoeT

Sugars in Chattanooga??? I must have been on a bad day- everything burnt and nasty when I went....never been back.

May 15, 2014 at 11:24 am | Reply
  38. Duane Allen

Let's all face it and be honest – Texas and Texans have a GROSSLY OVER-INFLATED SELF IMAGE of its stature and are laughably self-absorbed... literally, DRUNK FROM OVERCONSUMPTION OF POMPOUS RUNAWAY EGO!

May 15, 2014 at 11:05 am | Reply
    • Tony

I thought we were talking about barbecue? You seem to lump a traditional cooking art in with your politics and geographical reputation.
      I've tried barbecue all over the country. Texas 'cue really is the best and often cooked by people who do not, at all, fit your perception of a "Texan". Have you ever been to the Austin area?

May 15, 2014 at 11:14 am | Reply
    • Tom

Duane, you're an idiot.

May 15, 2014 at 11:17 am | Reply
    • Haight Er Buy N8 Tcher

While you're at it, Bunker, don't forget to roll in the stereotype of rude New Yoakahs.

May 15, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  39. Bazooka Joe

Actually I wouldn't even put Texas 3rd.... 5th maybe (at best...). Heck everyone knows BBQ is pork not beef. Beef is "barbecued", pork is "barbecue". Stupid Texans...... but what do you expect.

May 15, 2014 at 11:03 am | Reply
  40. Dave E.

Eastern NC BBQ is great and Wilbur's in Goldsboro is one of the best. I've had BBQ all over the country and it is a little unfair to try to rank them since they are so different.

May 15, 2014 at 11:03 am | Reply
    • Peter

Couldn't agree more. I live in NC and I've had awesome Q in different states, but they are not really comparable. We have nothing like Texas brisket, and they (TX) have nothing like our pulled pork. It is not an "apples to apples" comparison, so I don't see how you would rank.

May 15, 2014 at 11:25 am | Reply
  41. JRock

I live in NC and I've had good BBQ all over the state as well as SC and TN. I've traveled to Dallas and Austin many times. I've been to Atlanta and Athens on numerous occasions and eaten BBQ at all of them. I'll eat any of it to be honest. But personally I think the southeast is good for pork BBQ and TX is good for brisket and sausage and KC for ribs. But again, I'll eat it all!

In NC the debate is about eastern vs. western NC BBQ. I'll eat both. I know of good places in the mountains like Old Hampton Store in Linville or going east there's the famous Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC which has been featured on many food network shows.

Eat it all I say!!

May 15, 2014 at 11:01 am | Reply
  42. JL

Seems like a pretty pointless and subjective thing to get all worked up over. Does hickory smoke care what state it's in when it slowly permeates a rack of ribs? I think not.

May 15, 2014 at 11:01 am | Reply
  43. John Malcolm

GEORGIA! There's a BBQ joint in the shadows of a federal penn right on the outskirts of downtown Atlanta – Harold's. Pork butt, Brunswick stew, and real cracklin' cornbread...it's been years since I've last been – and I doubt this is still practiced – but there was a dude out in the backyard that fried real cracklin's in a cast iron kettle that was used for their cornbread. Seriously?! BBQ just doesn't get any more real than that.......

May 15, 2014 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • Bazooka Joe

John that's Harolds BBQ and yes the Brunswick stew and crackling cornbread were awesome ! I moved away from Atl to Florida for awhile and would take a half gallon of stew and cornbread back with me and pig out with friends.
      Unfortunately Harolds closed recently.
      Best 'Que I have had in Atl (also closed now) was Alecks BBQ Heaven down on MLK

May 15, 2014 at 11:07 am | Reply
      • John Malcolm

Bazooka Joe – yeah, I'd heard that Harolds closed...too bad! And yes, FL offers up some darn good BBQ, lived in Tampa for about 15 yrs. Recently tried 4 Rivers Smokehouse in G'ville with one of my kids who attends UF – a little big, commercialized, etc, but pretty good BBQ – I'd go again for sure. At the 'Order Cutting Board', there was Jeff Driskel, UF's starting QB, just being a normal kid slicing some brisket. Says a lot for an SEC starting QB working a part time job at probably minimum wage – but again, if you love BBQ.....right??

May 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Reply
  44. PhinsPhan

I think you need to narrow it down to cities. In no particular order; Memphis, KC & Austin are the BBQ trinity cities. PERIOD!

May 15, 2014 at 10:58 am | Reply
    • James

I agree about those cities...but if you're going to list states...1A and 1B are Texas and Tennessee (brisket vs. ribs...not worth debating right now). Contenders for the next spots (looking at states) are Alabama, North Carolina, and Missouri. A top-5 that contains any state other than TN, TX, AL, NC, or MO isn't worth the time to read. Georgia only gets an honorable mention because they're southern and there's bound to be some good 'que somewhere there...but nobody travels to GA with 'que on their mind.

May 15, 2014 at 11:08 am | Reply
  45. Matt

Article must be written by a Georgian. What a joke

May 15, 2014 at 10:57 am | Reply
  46. George

Best BBQ I have ever had was in Brooklyn believe it or not (and yes I have had BBQ in Texas and North Carolina). A place called Delaney's... just a small spot in Brooklyn that has the BEST brisket.

May 15, 2014 at 10:54 am | Reply
    • cody

If you're talking about Delaney's in brooklyn, the pit master (or chef) is from TX!.

May 15, 2014 at 11:02 am | Reply
  47. kanneroo

State? Who cares about the state? Look, folks. Just come to Kansas City. That's all. Three of the premiere BBQ joints in the world – Oklahoma Joe's, Arthur Bryant's, Gates – all a stone's throw from each other. You can lunch at one, afternoon snack at another, and have dinner at the third. Add in Jack Stack, and you've got 4 of the Daily Meal top 10 ribs in the country (OKJoes #1, AB's #2, Gates #4, Jack #8). Try everyone's ribs, but don't miss Arthur Bryant's burnt ends, and the Gates sauce is so, so good. Come at the right time of year, and you can see the BBQ competition of all BBQ competitions, The Americal Royal World Series of Barbecue (one Open, one Invitational). Kansas City is the heart of BBQ on this planet. Just come visit. You'll see.

May 15, 2014 at 10:53 am | Reply
  48. MojoSavage

Real BBQ is beef, not pork. Real BBQ is thick sweet sauce not thin vinegar. Texas BBQ rules!

May 15, 2014 at 10:52 am | Reply
    • Peter

Actually, BBQ refers to a method (as opposed to, say, grilling) and not a meat.

May 15, 2014 at 11:27 am | Reply
  49. Louis

I have lived in both Texas and N. Carolina and I would have to say that TX bbq is far superior.

Texas will bbq everything; brisket, ribs (beef and pork), chicken, turkey, sausage... N. Carolina only has pulled pork, which is just a better tasting "manwich / sloppy joe".

May 15, 2014 at 10:49 am | Reply
    • JRock

You my friend have no clue what you are talking about. NC BBQ is nothing but a sloppy joe??? That's just an ignorant statement. You're probably from California.

May 15, 2014 at 11:41 am | Reply
  50. TLORop

The best Q comes from my back yard. You all lose.

May 15, 2014 at 10:48 am | Reply