April 28th, 2014

After a one-year stint in the number two spot, René Redzepi's Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark, has been declared the best restaurant in the world - marking its fourth time as the top seed.

Restaurant magazine announced the honor as it unveiled its "World's 50 Best Restaurants" list at London's Guildhall on Monday. The annual event, sponsored by  S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, is a celebration of the crème de la crème of global gastronomy.

The list, now in its 12th year, is curated by 900 restaurant international leaders, including chefs, food critics and restaurateurs.

As for how the list is created, each of the panelists casts seven votes for their best restaurant experiences in the last 18-month voting period. To attempt to keep the awards on a truly "world's best" scale, at least three of the panelist's votes must be for a restaurant outside their respective geographical region.

"There is no pre-determined checklist of criteria; for example an interesting experience in a simple establishment, where exceptional innovation was discovered, could be judged better than a more opulent meal from a widely feted restaurant team," notes the academy's manifesto.

The ceremony comes on the heels of the announcement that a few of the chefs on the list are taking their restaurant concepts beyond their home turf: Redzepi announced Noma (No. 1) would be moving the entire staff to Tokyo for two months at the beginning of 2015. Meanwhile, Heston Blumenthal announced he and the staff behind The Fat Duck (No. 47) would be flying south from Bray, England, to Melbourne, Australia, for six months in February 2015.

In addition to the World’s 50 Best Restaurants List, a variety of supplemental awards were given out throughout the evening, including the "One to Watch" award for Saison in San Francisco, California. Seven other restaurants from the United States were honored this year: Alinea in Chicago, Illinois; Daniel, Le Bernardin, Per Se and Eleven Madison Park in New York; The French Laundry in Yountville, California; and Coi in San Francisco, California.

These are the world's 50 best restaurants for 2014:

1) Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)

Shrimp and ramsom. Shrimp and bam, son.

A photo posted by Sarah LeTrent (@sarahletrent) on

2) El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)

3) Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)

4)  Eleven Madison Park (New York)

Would that I'd had this available when Marriage Equality passed in Maine.

A photo posted by Kat Kinsman (@katkinsman) on

5) Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London, England)

6) Mugaritz (Errenteria, Spain)

7) D.O.M. (São Paulo, Brazil)

8) Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)

9) Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)

10) The Ledbury (London, England)

11) Mirazur (Menton, France)

12) Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)

13) Nahm (Bangkok, Thailand)

14) Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)

15) Central (Lima, Peru)

16) Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)

17) Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand)

18) Astrid y Gastón (Lima, Perú)

19) Fäviken Magasinet (Järpen, Sweden)

20) Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)

21) Le Bernardin (New York)

22) Vila Joya (Albufeira, Portugal)

23) Restaurant Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)

24) Amber (Hong Kong, China)

25) Arpege (Paris, France)

26) Azuremendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)

27) Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)

28) Aqua (Wolfsburg, Germany)

29) De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)

30) Per Se (New York)

31) L'Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon (Paris, France)

32) Attica (Melbourne, Australia)

33) Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)

34) Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo-Bizkaia, Spain)

35) Restaurante Martín Berasategui (Lasarte-Oria, Spain)

36) Maní (São Paulo, Brazil)

37) Restaurant Andre (Singapore)

38) L'Astrance (Paris, France)

39) Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)

40) Daniel (New York)

Frog legs. Happening. To my face! (@kkrader)

A photo posted by Kat Kinsman (@katkinsman) on

41) Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)

42) Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)

43) Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)

44) The French Laundry (Yountville, California)

45) Hof van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)

46) Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)

47) The Fat Duck (Bray, England)

48) The Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa)

49) Coi (San Francisco, California)

50) Waku Ghin (Singapore)

Related A sense of place in Copenhagen cuisine

1. KC

I have eaten at a few of these places. That said, yes, the food is good. BUT I would never want to eat at any of these places everyday of the week, even if I could afford to. Fine for special occasions, but I would much rather go to a local place for good food at reasonable prices. Give me a nice bowl of thick beef stew with some crusty buttered bread and I am very happy.

April 28, 2014 at 7:56 pm |
  2. Zwei Stein

A couple hours ago, I was at the Fry's grocery store. I picked up one of their roasted chickens to take home with me...they are GOOD! But it is a toss-up between the Fry's roasted chicken and the Sam's Club roasted chicken. And as far as mashed potatoes and gravy go, I'd vote for Popeye's every time! Their gravy is sooooo good!

April 28, 2014 at 7:56 pm |
  3. rahul

In the common tongue – "pretentious" apparently translates to "someone's creativity scares me, so I'll write it off as 'pretentious' to hide my own narrow minded tastes."

April 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm |
  4. are122

Nothing Cajun on that list. That's okay...everyone knows the real best cooking in the world is in New Orleans.

April 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm |
  5. mikes605

Meh. Where's McDonalds. Seriously, people vote with their dollars.

April 28, 2014 at 7:50 pm |
  6. Wrathtard

Yeah, the usual suspects (in terms of cities) win, with a suspiciously heavy favor toward Spain, while nearly every city besides New York in vast America was cut out. And then it was a predictable bone thrown for French Laundry and San Francisco, nearly forgetting the US's most populous state. Not that this is a scientific poll or anything.

April 28, 2014 at 7:49 pm |
  7. kd

but that being said, some did resemble the tasty droppings the deer leave behind..oh and amen to the Double Double.

April 28, 2014 at 7:48 pm |
  8. kd

most of this looks like some weeds I pulled out of my yard this weekend. Except most of the weeds were bigger.

April 28, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
  9. du

50 places in the world where people pay an enormous price for over rated food so they can impress someone ..

April 28, 2014 at 7:46 pm |
    • Jimmy S

While some people do go to really high end restaurants for show, others actually go because they genuinely enjoy the food and experience. I've been to a few myself and generally like to go alone, as having someone else there generally distracts from the experience.

April 28, 2014 at 7:50 pm |
  10. Carn E. Vore

What, no Waffle House? Their hash browns crispy, covered, smothered, topped, and capped ROCK!

April 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm |
  11. Mel

Food is food. You just pay more for nothing. The restaurants are just fine right here in California. My son is a chef and knows all the tricks to make you think you are getting something for nothing.

April 28, 2014 at 7:43 pm |
    • Jimmy S

Value is in the eye of the beholder. If someone derives enjoyment and satisfaction out of something, I would not say that is "nothing." If you don't enjoy something, then don't waste your money on it.

April 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm |
  12. Zwei Stein

Wickenburg, AZ has the best, followed closely by Parker, AZ. But I shouldn't forget Lake Havasu...they've got a great restaurant as well. Then for Mexican food, it's Humberto's in El Mirage, AZ. But of course, no one who rates these restaurants will never set foot in those places...their loss!

April 28, 2014 at 7:40 pm |
  13. Ron

The French Laundry at #44 and D.O.M in Sao Paulo at #7? I think these are backwards, at very best. D.O.M. was a huge waste of time and money, and lost of money at that. Portions were ridiculously small, everything was spiced, ambiance was poor, staff was poorly trained, and even the wine list was fair. The French Laundry is one of the best restaurants I have ever experienced. Well worth a top 10 rating. A side note, Jean-Georges in Shanghai is also light years better than D.O.M. A poor list at best.

April 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm |
  14. Dingo

This has to be a joke! Not even a single restaurant in India or mainland China. Such a biased rating. It should be called 50 best mostly western restaurants. Do me a favor. Go have some authentic Indian or Chinese food at some awesome restaurants there and then come back and revise this list. Please.

April 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm |
    • AK

I was about to write the same thing when I came across your post. Whaaat!! No restraunts from India!! Trust there are some restraints in India, thoughts of which make my mouth water. Yumm!

April 28, 2014 at 8:14 pm |
    • Blahblah

Indian food is disgusting. Also, what Americans view as "Chinese food" is also disgusting.

May 6, 2014 at 12:04 pm |
  15. berticode

Who picks up these dum lists? The best restaurants I have eaten at were in Bahrain (Indian, Chinese, Arab, etc). These restaurants are for pretentious f00ls who care more about the looks and glamour than the food.

April 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm |
  16. Paulie 'little bag of" Donuts

No Bada Bing? I got the best thing I ever ate there..

April 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm |
    • Wrathtard

Well played, Dom Irrera.

April 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm |
  17. Bill

The top 50 ... if you specialize in pretentiousness.

April 28, 2014 at 7:28 pm |
  18. John Wayne

Someone in London knows how to prepare food!? Say it so!

April 28, 2014 at 7:25 pm |
  19. GlobalFoodie

I would trust Anthony Bourdain over this money list any day. There's a saying n Hindi- Unnchi dukaan, pheeka pakwaan- Expensive shop, tasteless food. This list fits that phrase. I am going to eat in Punjab and Shimla :)

April 28, 2014 at 7:24 pm |
    • Dingo

Spot on!

April 28, 2014 at 7:39 pm |
    • biglio

Agree, but NOMA was accoridng to Bourdain the best in the world too.....

April 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm |
      • GlobalFoodie

True. But there's a lot of choices to pic from- presents the whole range from super bad to super good. This list, on th contrary, is driven by money alone.

April 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm |
  20. aurelius

I stopped reading when I found out Taco Bell was not in the top 50.

April 28, 2014 at 7:23 pm |
  21. ihavea screwloose

If it ain't buffet, it ain't gourmet. ;)

April 28, 2014 at 7:22 pm |
  22. TootinRamen

Oh, yeah?
    Where's What-A-Burger?

April 28, 2014 at 7:20 pm |
    • Zwei Stein

They have a great breakfast menu...and it IS good!

April 28, 2014 at 7:42 pm |
    • du

Don't forget Blakes Lot a Burger in NM, and you can get it red green..

April 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm |
  23. Irene Done

Odd, St Martin is said to have the best food outside Paris.

April 28, 2014 at 7:18 pm |
  24. Rich

I agree with the reviewer above who likened these places to the haute cuisine equivalent of haute couture. I've been to plenty of great restaurants in Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and Washington, D.C. that were reasonably expensive, but not break the bank for extreme preparation and presentation effects. I think this list of 50, if I ever get to some of these cities, would be places to avoid, not to seek out. Happy dining, everyone!

April 28, 2014 at 7:09 pm |
  25. FoodChick

Didn't Per Se rack up quite a few h/c violations?
    Yeah, they did.

April 28, 2014 at 7:03 pm |
  26. Thinking things through

Any such list is of course by necessity subjective.

I'm sure these are all great restaurants, but I would NEVER pick a restaurant that focuses entirely on "tasting menus". For instance, if I have to pass up on a serving because it contains nuts (digestive issues), and that item is part of the price of dining - nope, no go there. This eliminates Per Se and Alinea, and probably others up there from any remote consideration of being "best".

However, I'd seriously like to try some of these others.

April 28, 2014 at 7:02 pm |
  27. Damon

The best food in the world is not prepared in fancy restaurants by arrogant chefs for rich jerks. It's created with love in small family restaurants in exotic locations around the world. This list is just nonsense and a giant waste of money and time.

April 28, 2014 at 7:00 pm |
    • Dersh

You got that right, Damon. Places like Portland, Ore & San Francisco have scores of restaurants serving some of the best & most high quality food that can be found anywhere.

April 28, 2014 at 7:21 pm |
  28. JAMES

ANOTHER SLIGHT TO L&L BARBEQUE....

April 28, 2014 at 6:59 pm |
  29. Damon

Arrogant rich people mistake expensive with good.

April 28, 2014 at 6:57 pm |
    • Jimmy

Expensive does not necessarily equal good or not good. You can have good expensive food and bad expensive food (same can be said of cheap food). Yet, there is some correlation. Regardless of a restaurant's reputation, if it buys the freshest and best (and/or exotic) ingredients and uses meticulous methods of preparation, it will undoubtedly cost them more, meaning it will be more expensive to the customer.

April 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm |
  30. The_dude

I've been to one place on that list and I left thinking "wtf did I just pay for?".

April 28, 2014 at 6:57 pm |
  31. jimmy

I love a lot of high culture...music, art, literature...some of my friends would consider me a tad snobbish. so I am no ignorant middle America yahoo. but these uppity trendoid restaurants are not culture. they are akin to ridiculous women's fashion...nothing but expensive pretentiousness that nobody in the real world would touch.

April 28, 2014 at 6:57 pm |
    • Jimmy S

I added my last initial so people won't get confused :) Have you ever eaten at a place like one on the list? I actually do go to these sorts of places once or twice a year because I genuinely enjoy the food and the experience, and not to show off or anything like that. And I would consider myself a normal middle class person in the "real world".

For the record, of the times I've gone to really high end restaurants, I've had a meal that I was rather unimpressed with as well as a meal that was the most enjoyable culinary experience I've ever had.

April 28, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
  32. Damon

The 50 best restaurants in Portland, Oregon would be just as good as these 50.

April 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm |
  33. Emeril

La Tour d'Argent has a rich history and it is considered as one of the best restaurants in the world. This list is a sham.

April 28, 2014 at 6:45 pm |
  34. Bobby Bankston

OK, now where's the list of the REAL best restaurants, you know, places where REAL people actually eat? Not places where you go mainly to be seen and to drop an insane amount on insanely overpriced "food art", just because you can do it.

April 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm |
    • adibese

If you don't like good food, stay with Chipotles.. Nobody's saying they aren't tasty... but it's a different level. I highly doubt you've had a truly great meal, if you even bring up such a statement.

April 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm |
  35. Tim

What is he point of forking out hundreds of dollars on a tasting menu where you are probably going to be hungry afterwards? I think I will go to a normal, but decent restaurant, where the meal I paid for is supposed to do what meal is supposed to do (i.e., make me feel full).

April 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm |
    • Jimmy

People have different mindsets. Not everyone goes to a restaurant to get full. I enjoy good food for the experience, the quality and freshness of the ingredients, the way in which it stimulates each of the five senses, and the nuance, balance, and contrast between different flavors and textures. Good food can be seen as a form of entertainment.

Getting full is secondary. I can get full at home. There's no need to go out and spend money to do that.

April 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm |
  36. jwalker5524

Most of that I wouldn't even consider food.

April 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm |
  37. Dorkus Maximus

The way these things look, I'd be afraid to dishonor any one of them by doing something so crass as putting it in my mouth. Like gallery art, they proclaim, "Admire me from a distance, for you are not worthy to get close."

April 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm |
  38. glenview0818

Snobbery for the rich and famous, give me real food at the small town diners on backroads USA. Real home made food, at real prices. Anyone catering to these places should take another look at life and donate their money to the poor who have little or no food.

April 28, 2014 at 6:34 pm |
    • Jimmy S

And who are you to dictate what people should enjoy and spend their money on? Everyone has hobbies and things they enjoy and spend money on. Fine dining is one of them. If you're going to criticize people for spending money on an expensive meal rather than spending money on the poor, the same argument should be made for buying a nice car or house, going on a cruise, buying an iPad, etc. Have you not spent money solely for your personal enjoyment that you could have given to the poor?

April 28, 2014 at 8:00 pm |
  39. Mtlnow4ever

Disapointed nothing from Montreal Canada as we are known for good food, maybe next year!

April 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm |
    • Edith Laryea

I totally agree. Clearly, they did not take every city into account.

April 28, 2014 at 6:31 pm |
    • HappyMontrealer

Absolutely agree with you. We are right up there with the best cities in the world when it comes to fabulous food. People fly in from all over the world to dine at any of our top restaurants. Wonder who comes up with these lists?

April 28, 2014 at 7:12 pm |
  40. Rusty

rahul (or Rahul or Rahul Bose) – are you either a chef at one of these restaurants or on the editorial staff at Restaurant magazine? Just asking.

April 28, 2014 at 5:52 pm |
    • Rahul Bose

Rusty just a proud Indian who has experienced the rich cuisine in India and for one is absolutely convinced that its impossible for any top 50 world list of restaurants not to find any subset of 1000+ cuisine options in India and find one world's best restaurant within that cuisine.

April 28, 2014 at 5:57 pm |
      • Rusty

Indian is my absolute favorite cuisine!

I discovered it years ago on my first trip to the UK, where food (taste) leaves something to be desired. I recently relocated to a beautiful coastal area that as far as I can tell only lacks one thing – a good Indian restaurant.

April 29, 2014 at 10:27 am |
    • rahul

neither (although i come from a long line of restauranteurs and chefs, so i'm familiar with the business).

but many of these restaurants are structured around tasting menus – which is an uncommon experience for many and explains the small portions of each dish. I've been to a few restaurants that were structured this way and they were some of the truly best food experiences i've had. Criticism levied at "portion size" just reflect a lack of familiarity with the subject matter and in my mind are weak criticisms.

April 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm |
  41. mike

What's with the stupid cliche Instagram food photos? Who does that anymore? Heck, the people who ever did that should be ashamed.

April 28, 2014 at 5:50 pm |
  42. sammy zoso

Judging from the pictures only a sucker would consider any of these glorified appetizers a meal.

April 28, 2014 at 5:50 pm |
  43. Rahul

Top 50 and you could not find even one from INDIA. Does the restaurant magazine even know how rich and diverse Indian Cuisine can be with the 29 odd States in India with diverse cuisine's in each state rivaling a european country. Gosh talk about arrogance1

April 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm |
    • rahul

since when are they obliged to listed an indian restaurant? they included many non-european establishments on the list. if no on from india made the list thats their own fault, not the list makers.

April 28, 2014 at 5:36 pm |
      • Rahul Bose

This will sound like I am debating with myself so I added my last name. The issue is not whether any Indian restaurant did not make the list. The question is when you are compiling a world's best list with the rich cuisine in India its not whether but why cannot one find a worlds best in India. It takes an open mind! Just my thought.

April 28, 2014 at 5:47 pm |
        • mike

The very concept of a list like this is kind of silly, really. There are so many great restaurants out there that the conceit it takes for them to think they could possibly make a qualified list of the world's greatest is pretty staggering.

April 28, 2014 at 6:04 pm |
        • rahul

and i'm saying the answer to why they cannot find one in India is perhaps none were good enough to be included? just a thought. Honestly, you could make your "argument" for any country that's not represented on this list, but its a weak argument.

April 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm |
        • Rahul Bose

Rahul..maybe one needs to go to India and taste for yourself. The East India Co. did not come trading in India for spices because we were using them as condiments.
          Lets start with this list of 25 http://luxpresso.com/photogallery-lifestyle/the-best-restaurants-in-india-2013/24015

April 28, 2014 at 6:17 pm |
        • rahul

I've been to India, many times. Eaten at many great restaurants. Again, your argument is a superficial one.

April 28, 2014 at 7:50 pm |
    • ugh

The reason no Indian restaurant made the list was likely b/c the reviewers were hampered by things like nostrils and taste buds.

Want to know why people are starving in India? Because they want to. Indian food is just awful. It tastes like gritty sweat. I can consume any other cuisine on the planet but i swear people eat Indian food just to kid themselves they are cultured. That was probably the main reason the Brits quit it in '47; they craved English food again and doesn't THAT say something.

India has contributed greatly to the world in math, science, art, music and many other fields but cuisine...mmm not really. I mean honestly, no one dish tastes or smells any different from any other dish. You'd swear it just all comes from the same vat and just gets garnished and re-arranged on different plates.

April 28, 2014 at 6:29 pm |
      • Rahul Bose

What a pity! You will never taste the richness of Awadhi cuisine or Rajasthani delicacies. You will never experience the complex flavors of Mughlai. The simplicity of Gujrati food. There are thousands more...Just keep your blinkers on. And btw its not important to understand why the British left...Think why did they come in the first place. Was it a India which was Rich in wealth and culture or a poor one? Think hard because you will wonder why and how India became prosperous in the next 100 years when you will celebrate the cuisine and not insult us like this ever again.

April 28, 2014 at 6:44 pm |
        • ugh

The English came b/c it was a country that had resources it could exploit. It's that simple. It's always that simple. Every invading country works on the same premise. That is unless you're the US to which you then thinly veil it in the notion that the people are unhappy and you're "liberating" them.

How am i insulting Indian culture by saying the cuisine isn't all people think it is? Did you miss the part acknowledging India's other contributions. India gave the world the concept of a zero as a number, a significant mathematical contribution. India can handle that somehow all their food tastes the same.

...and i think you meant to say "blinders" not blinkers as blinkers are what i would definitely keep on to indicate my turning away from something less than pleasant.

Oh...and still think India isn't being exploited? Check out and see comparable pay for comparable work in other countries. There's a reason work gets outsourced there.

April 28, 2014 at 9:21 pm |
        • rahul

india's politicians will ensure that all the progress of the past 20 years will be erased in the next 5. i wouldn't bet on india these days.

May 6, 2014 at 11:57 am |
      • Atul Chaudhary

Ugh, Agree that a person who has never even used salt and pepper in his/her food, how could they appreciate 5000+ spices. Indian food is now #1 food in UK. Gaining popularity in US in major cities. Like any other restaurant/cuisine, you will find that there are some dirty places everywhere. Because you're one of those fortunate ones to be born in an affluent society, don't make fun of those people who struggle for a meal a day.

April 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm |
        • ugh

wow...nobody reads...

Who said "dirty"? I said "gritty sweat". BIG difference. Just b/c something gains popularity, doesn't mean it's good. Turn on any "reality" TV show and you'll see that. The idea of the list was to report on distinctive restaurants and their dishes. If all the food of a cuisine taste the same or similar, one can imagine how hard it must be pick an establishment that truly stands out.

If my critique makes me affluent, well...i think that's in error as i can't see how one begets the other. As far as making fun of starving people, my jibe doesn't mock their circumstance, just the food surrounding them.

5000+ spices might be the problem. Maybe it needs to be more focused in its seasoning. The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

April 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm |
      • relmfoxdale

There's no accounting for taste. Indian food is awesome. Of course, to make it into the big leagues like this, a restaurant would have to do more than serve curry–even the best curry ever. These kinds of lists are going to be heavily oriented around savoring the taste and texture of the ingredients.

April 28, 2014 at 7:02 pm |
        • ugh

There we go. And you know what, out of my friends that do ingest Indian food, i've not heard ONCE that they prefer one place over another....likely because they're all pretty much the same. About the only thing I've ever heard someone compare about Indian cuisine was the heat of the dish and heat doesn't necessarily mean tasty.

Texture, presentation, accompanying wines/deserts, etc., etc., this is what you're hitting these places of distinction on this list for.

To whinge about "why aren't there any Indian places" on the list should be best be carefully measured against things other than just plain old tastiness.

I'll say one thing about Indian places though...on avg...the service is top notch.

April 28, 2014 at 9:42 pm |
      • Thinking things through

ugh, you have been eating at the wrong Indian restaurants. Yes, I've been to Indian restaurants where in the buffet all the dishes tasted the same. I've also found knock-your-socks off great Indian cuisine in other venues, which wasn't the same set of spices from dish to dish. And, PS, I love the aromas! (If I were ever to become a vegetarian, it would be Indian cuisine at least weekly.)

April 28, 2014 at 7:11 pm |
        • ugh

Maybe i have been eating at the wrong restaurants, however i've now tried Indian on 5 continents and have yet to notice a difference. About the only place where i haven't tried it is in India itself and to be honest...mmm not too optimistic it's going to be any different there. Worse still, i'll likely be hard pressed to find alternatives once there.

I can see how it might be one of those cuisines that it's an "all or nothing" love. No other cuisine comes close to a uniformity of smell and taste to me. There are many dishes in many other cuisines i may not like but there are typically enough to plenty of preparations that are still unique and different.

I used to think, "oh gee...maybe my taste buds are screwed" but as i started voicing my observation i got a lot of other folks admitting they didn't like it as much either and the reason they ate it was b/c they had friends that ate it who seemed "cultured".

April 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm |
      • romi singh

Chicken tikka masala (Indian curry) is the most popular and most sold dish in London.They didn't leave India go and read some history

April 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm |
        • ugh

yes...a joke again as the Brits (usually) overcook everything and could stand to use some flavour in their food even bad flavour....although at least The Ledbury made the list.

...and...you know what...the Brits didn't leave India...they never really left at all did they? :-)

April 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Veronica

How many of these restaurants are serving Atlantic BlueFin Tuna? It is CRITICALLY endangered but is still served at many of these top restaurants around the world because it is considered a delicacy and they can charge top dollar. You want to "change a list?" (paging John Sutter!) Start by holding restaurants accountable for serving endangered species.

April 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm |
  45. rahul

a lot of bitter people on this board. just because the food doesn't approximate the slop that you normally shove in your gullet doesn't mean its worthless.

April 28, 2014 at 5:27 pm |
  46. Rusty

Who decided that this list of 50 was the world's best?

Let me start by addressing the accompanying photographs.

To paraphrase Ron Swanson on the NBC show, "Parks and Recreation" – the first picture looks like what my dinner eats. What is this? Looks like four lilly pads floating in dishwater.

The second photo looks like two halves of two separate lobster claws on a bed of ice. Again – bait.

I know portion size is a major problem in our nation's struggle with obesity, but I've dropped more food on my tie in one attempt at a bite than is shown in picture #3. If I was treated to this as dinner, I'd be stopping at a drive-thru on the way home.

The fourth picture looks like a garnished hairball.

Out of curiosity, what's the check look like in one of these fine establishments?

April 28, 2014 at 5:23 pm |
    • rahul

its called a tasting menu – there can be 10-20 courses, each of which is about 3-4 bites. After 14 courses of such a menu, I was stuffed. then again, i'm not fat.

April 28, 2014 at 5:39 pm |
    • MKELLY

lol

April 28, 2014 at 5:51 pm |
    • relmfoxdale

I looked up the first Tokyo place–$200 for dinner. I expect that'd be true for most of these places.

April 28, 2014 at 6:55 pm |
    • ecb

The accent in my head got thicker as I read your post – but I LOL'd. Thanks.

April 28, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
  47. sperry23

They are all overpriced and pretentious. It's all about "atmosphere" and "presentation", not the actual taste, flavor-layering, and overall edibility of the food.

Often, you can find excellent food, properly prepared at a much lower price in other, less trendy places. And no, I'm not talking about Micky D's either.

April 28, 2014 at 5:20 pm |
    • rahul

have you ever been to noma?

April 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm |
    • mike

It really depends. A place like Alinea is going to serve you some crazy stuff that you'd likely never think to even attempt, so you'll taste things that you can't experience anywhere else. But yeah, you'll probably want a cheeseburger later...it's more about trying new things than just filling your gut. I don't have a problem with it as long as the place knows what it is and treats it all as fun (prices notwithstanding).

April 28, 2014 at 6:10 pm |
  48. Luz

I agree with some of these but not all

April 28, 2014 at 5:20 pm |
  49. johnbiggscr

oh please, the first picture isnt a meal, its a pretentious statement masquerading as one.

April 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm |
  50. Mancee Graice

51. In – n – Out burger
    Nothing on the face of God's great earth so succulent as that prince of foods, the Double Double.

April 28, 2014 at 5:05 pm |