Coffee klatsch
April 28th, 2014

Pssst! Got a sec to chat? We are utterly thrilled when readers want to hang out and talk – whether it's amongst themselves or in response to pieces we've posted. We want Eatocracy to be a cozy, spirited online home for those who find their way here.

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic. You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. AleeD®

Good morning all. It's payday and hubby's flying to Indian-no-place next week on bidness. Guess I'll just have to handle the dungeon solo.

Any excitement planned for this weekend?

May 2, 2014 at 6:52 am | Reply
    • Turth@AleeD

Three words, Darlin'.
      Long.
      Weekend.
      Traveling.
      Somewhere tonight there is a catfish soon to be blackened...:)

May 2, 2014 at 11:35 am | Reply
      • AleeD®@Turth™

Here fishy, fishy
        Come jump on my hook
        The pan is awaitin'
        'Cuz your goose is cooked

May 2, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead@AleeD

YOU'VE GOT MAIL !!!!

May 3, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Reply
  2. Capt. Oblivious

Knock knock...

May 1, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Reply
    • I'll bite...

Who's there?

May 1, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Reply
      • Don't Bite :)

Don't do it. It's gonna be gross. :)

May 1, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Reply
    • Capt. Oblivious

I eat mop...

May 1, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Reply
      • I'll bite...

Well, at least you are getting your recommended daily fibre...

May 1, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  3. Capt. Oblivious

My pen!s has little tiny bumps all over it.

May 1, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Reply
    • RC

Penicillin.

May 1, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  4. RC @Truth™

How went the protests yesterday?

May 1, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Reply
    • Truth™@RC

Pretty much a non-event...Protesters stayed outside and my security guard maintained order in the lobby. That man would be underpaid at twice the salary.

May 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Reply
      • RC @Truth™

Glad to hear there were no riots:)

May 1, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  5. JBJingles from the casa

Heading out to Phoenix today to check on mom...wanted to get the Cinco de Mayo party started early

The line for his Cinco de Mayo party starts on the Ocho de Febrero
    Mexican jumping beans ask him, how high
    It's been said that his guacamole inspired the phase, "Holy Guacamole".
    He has three little black books, just for women named "Juanita"
    When he makes refried beans, he only has to fry them once
    He once started a fire with castanets
    His piñatas fight back

He is....

May 1, 2014 at 11:04 am | Reply
    • RichardHead

Mustard,NOT Mayo.

May 2, 2014 at 3:33 am | Reply
      • JBJingles@mom's casita

Ha! Did you get my electronic mail thingy?

May 2, 2014 at 8:50 am | Reply
        • RichardHead@JBJ

Checka' your e-mail,Blondie.

May 2, 2014 at 7:21 pm |
  6. Truth™, with a Thoght For The Day...

Just saw a trailer for a movie I really want to see. Heard this quote, which I REALLY like:

What is right, can never be impossible."...

May 1, 2014 at 8:40 am | Reply
  7. Truth™, With A Question Of The Day (QOD)

As easy as it is to hate on Donald Sterling, does anyone else (besides me) think that this was all one big setup? Who records private conversations in the home unless a motive is there? I have no doubt that his GF is a manipulator and a GoldDigger, and that he is a cr@tchety and racist old man, but is that really grounds for confiscating his property? I kind of though we had free speech here, no matter how ignorant or bigoted.

Thoughts?

April 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Reply
    • AleeD® @ Turth's™ QOD

Hadn't heard anything but the punishment & the media fallout after. I don't disagree with you about the GF, but what would she hope to get out setting him up? Someone paid her to do it because they wanted to force him to sell the team? Possibly. Confiscating his property? There's some BS. There has to be more to it than the media is letting on – or they're blowing up details to make it a bigger story than it is.

April 30, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Reply
      • MicheleG™

AleeD: I agree wholeheartedly about the media blowing the whole thing up to be a bigger story than it really is. I think there are WAY too many paychecks dependent on "reporting" gossip...er...News.

April 30, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

I also hadn't heard about confiscating his property, but I do agree that he has free speech. Likewise, the sponsors have the right to not agree with his free speech and withdraw their sponsorship. I heard that this could be retaliation on the GF's part because he and his family are suing her for $$ she embezzled (or was given as gifts).

April 30, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Reply
      • AleeD®

Embezzled?!? She sucked him dry. ~_~

May 1, 2014 at 6:55 am | Reply
        • Mary Shannon

The family is trying to get back all the money and gifts (house, cars) that he gave her and are calling it embezzlement. RID*CULOUS!!!

May 1, 2014 at 9:06 am |
        • AleeD® @ Mary S

Oh. You're talking about money? Silly me.

May 1, 2014 at 9:11 am |
        • ∞ Weeds ∞

literally?

May 1, 2014 at 12:57 pm |
        • Truth™

She's working her way into the vernacular...My boss just quipped "This meeting is going to end worse than a date with V. Stiviano..."

May 1, 2014 at 1:15 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

She's going to get sued, big time.

April 30, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Reply
    • ∞ Weeds ∞

Here is what I know:
      California has a 2 party recording law so both parties have to know about the recording. I have just one source saying that the conversation was recorded by a third party, but Sterling was aware of the conversation. Sterling had given is mistress a 1.8 million dollar home, use of a Ferrari and Bently and gave her a Land Rover, plus other stuff we are not aware of like perhaps personal use of his jet. His estranged wife filed suit against his mistress, Stiviano, for embezzling their money. The mistress says there is nothing wrong with a woman accepting gifts. Stiviano claims to be of Latino and African descent. The Sterlings both have a history of racist and bigoted behaviors and everyone around them, friends to the NBA were aware of this.

Here is what I think: Golddiggers are "bought" with gifts – money and power, and in such a way Sterling "owned" her. It is obvious, by his conversation, his primary concern was his image of him with her among his peers. He said in a very crude way that he had no control of her relationships and what she did when she wasn't around him, but wanted control of their image while they were "an item".
      What nobody is saying is that Sterling would have probably had to sell his team any way to settle his upcoming divorce. And since his wife knew about him and his mistress and probably was aware of previous others, the divorce was going to be very ugly.

Here is what we don't know:
      What led up to the release of this conversation. What conversations were had before and after this recording. What kind of relationship this old man and bikini model really had.

The release of this tape is in essence a poison pill, a vendetta perhaps?
      Usually this type of disclosure is a result of an agreement gone sour. Perhaps he promised her something very grand and reneged – maybe because his upcoming divorce wouldn't give him the control of his estate that he was accustom too? His wife would have no reason to devalue their worth because the more he has the more she gets. Perhaps he released the tape for the inverse of that very reason. And it blew up far bigger than he expected.

May 1, 2014 at 10:12 am | Reply
      • ∞ Weeds ∞

Here is a link to an extended version of the tape. I just finished listening to it. I can say just Wow. You can tell by her voice she is recording this for a reason, an act I think.

It is juicey and there is no middle man reporter.
        From what I heard, Sterling is concerned about what his Jewish friends and associates will think of him. It is all about a perception of his image.

May 1, 2014 at 10:41 am | Reply
        • Socrates

If you call a woman a wh0re, she will say you are a chauvinist and get highly offended.
          If you let her prove herself to be one, she will claim it to somehow be empowering.

It is sad what people will do for money or fame.

May 1, 2014 at 11:16 am |
  8. AleeD® @ Mary S

Tom Hanks called. He said you've got mail.

April 30, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

Now you do.

April 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  9. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Check out the Eagle webcam.

April 30, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  10. Truth™

Oh goody...just learned that my building is going to have protesters show up this afternoon. Thankfully though, our afternoon security supervisor is the approximate size of a small house. Should make for a fun time...

April 30, 2014 at 10:38 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Why do they protest at your building all the time?

April 30, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Reply
      • Troof™@JDizz

I have a variety of tenants, one of whom is known for defending const!tutional rights and calling out anti Semitism, and another who supports the interests of the fossil fuel industry. In a VERY ironic twist, I also used to have a domestic violence counseling and advocacy group on the same floor as a group that does counseling of men convicted of the same. They were completely unrelated.

April 30, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

If its the guy I met, then all will be fine and safe...no one would threaten this guy. Twice, anyway.

April 30, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Reply
      • Truth™@Mary

Same guy. Actually just wrote a letter of commendation on his behalf. I hope he stays here.

April 30, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  11. AleeD®

Humpy Hap Day all. Got in a half day on Monday and a whole day yesterday. After my PT appt last nite, we'll see how long today lasts.

How's your week so far?

April 30, 2014 at 6:45 am | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

Welcome back, glad you're on the road to recovery. Did work survive without you?

April 30, 2014 at 9:02 am | Reply
      • AleeD® @ Mary S

Thank you noice laydee. Feeling good for the most part.
        Work survived very well w/o me – by design (see what I did there?). Now that I'm back, I've been designate SME of a a long-term project that I'm VERY happy about.

April 30, 2014 at 9:33 am | Reply
    • JBJingles

Congrats on the recovery and the project that makes you happy! *singing the happy song*

April 30, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Reply
  12. Truth™

Have you ever gone somewhere and regretted that you would only be able to eat one (maybe two) entrees from so many great menu options? This is such a place. Today's lunch plans!

April 29, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Reply
    • AleeD® @ Turth™

Dayam! That looks amazing. A bowl of gumbo and the Korean beef tacos (nods to Rich) would be my first picks. I would definitely frequent that establishment ... frequently.

What did you end up ordering and when are you going back? Living vicariously and all.

April 30, 2014 at 6:43 am | Reply
      • Turth™@AleeD

Yesterday's lunch was Crab Cheese Wontons to start, with Bo Luc Lac as my entrée. I've also had their Po Boys, the Catfish and Shrimp Platters and Their Pho Tai. Depends on what kind of a day it is and how hungry I am. Pho is delish, but being kind of a beefed up soup (see what I did there?) it is not as filling (philling) as a meal. I hate being hungry before dinner time.

How are you feeling and are you back up to speed completely. Best wishes for a full and quick recovery!

April 30, 2014 at 8:33 am | Reply
        • AleeD® @ Turth™

Niiiiice meal. Sounds quite Philling. If I ever make it out to Denver, that's the place I'd like to meet you for lunch. I miss having good Cajun here. Bet they make a killer Bloody Mary, too.
          Thank you for asking, dear man. I'm feeling purdy good. Having a couple of twinges here & there, but nothing like Monday. One day at a time (nodding to Valerie).

April 30, 2014 at 8:48 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

My Lord. These are the perks of living in a big city.

April 30, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  13. Mary Shannon

So how silly is the newest airline scheme to charge us extra $$? Frontier just announced that they will start to charge you if you put a carry-on bag in the overhead bins, but no charge if you put it under the seat....huh?????

April 29, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Reply
    • Truth™

That airline has been going south ever since they merged. Used to be a Denver hometown favorite, now the locals hate 'em. Even the animal commercials stopped.

April 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  14. JBJingles

Greetings! Back from Vegas yesterday with $ in my wallet, therefore I am a WINNER! Had a great (FREE) dinner Friday night too, cesar salad, steak 'n lobstah rice and veggies. And I heard from our brother RH, so all is well in the world again.

April 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Reply
    • MicheleG™

Hi ho! Just got back from Laughlin!

April 29, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Reply
      • Truth™

I loved Laugh In. Was sorry when it went off the air.

April 29, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Reply
        • Dan Rowan

Look THAT up in your Funk and Wagnall's.

April 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm |
  15. Mary Shannon

I think the two guys above had a really great weekend!

How was yours?

April 28, 2014 at 9:34 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Unproductive. Helped a co-worker with some leaves in their yard and tossing some more grass seed down. Otherwise full of Netflix and PS3. Rained all day Sunday.

April 28, 2014 at 10:01 am | Reply
    • AleeD®

Looks like they're working on their mirroring skills.
      Weekend was great. Hubby has been a wonderful person since I've been off. He tackled one project in particular that has made a huge difference. Who says 5 inches wouldn't matter? ~_~

April 28, 2014 at 10:27 am | Reply
      • Thinking things through

LOL on mirroring skills!

April 28, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Reply
    • Thinking things through

Laundry got tackled, didn't get any yardwork done because it rained Saturday, and I went to a potluck mid-day Sunday. (Brought a salad with home made salad dressing.)

April 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Reply
    • RC

Weekend was great (mine included Monday)! Didn't get up till 11:00AM on Saturday. Parked my azz on the sofa and didn't move till 5:00PM. Spent all day Monday in the garden planting and tending. Soaking up the sunshine baby!

April 29, 2014 at 10:34 am | Reply