5@5 - Easy vegan staples to get you started
March 19th, 2014

5@5 is a food-related list from chefs, writers, political pundits, musicians, actors, and all manner of opinionated people from around the globe.

Editor's note: Angela Liddon is the writer, photographer, and recipe developer for Oh She Glows, the web’s destination for healthy vegan recipes. Her first cookbook, The "Oh She Glows Cookbook" was released this month. She also has an M.S. in Social-Personality Psychology and enjoys helping others find happiness and health through a plant-based diet.

When I first shifted to a vegan diet, I bought all of those packaged and highly processed mock meat and dairy products that I thought I was supposed to buy. "Isn’t this what vegans do?" I thought as I stuffed my mock turkey slices into the cart.

The problem? My energy wasn’t as supercharged as I hoped it would be on a vegan diet. Surprise, surprise, once I rid my diet of all of these imitation products filled with a million unpronounceable ingredients the only other option was to embrace a whole foods diet and get busy in my kitchen. Yes, I had to suck it up and teach myself how to cook real food. Or bust.

In 2008, I started my blog, Oh She Glows, sharing my recipe successes complete with step-by-step photos so others can have success in their own kitchens. Not only did my energy levels skyrocket and my skin start to glow, but I realized many of these products can be made quickly without much fuss - some in a matter of minutes!

If you’ve ever wished for a real food sour cream made without dairy or a delectable one-ingredient soft serve, I’m here to tell you there is hope. These recipes below are the ones I make time and time again and I promise they taste much better than store-bought versions.

If you are looking for a healthy alternative to dairy products like sour cream or a homemade jam that’s low in sugar and bursting with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, I hope you’ll enjoy these recipes below. Be warned: Once you get hooked it’s hard to go back.

5 easy vegan staple recipes to get you started: Angela Liddon

1. Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk
For a long time, I thought making almond milk at home would be a drawn-out, complicated process. Then I discovered just how easy and delicious it really is. Once you soak raw almonds overnight, all you need to do is blend them with water and strain them through a nut milk bag. It’s so easy, and the flavor beats store-bought almond milk by a landslide!

A nut milk bag is my preferred method of straining out the pulp, but you may also have success using a fine-mesh strainer and cheesecloth. The result is a creamy, healthful non-dairy milk that can be enjoyed alone, in smoothies or cereal, and in baking.

2. Homemade Sour Cream
Rich and tangy, my vegan sour cream makes the perfect complement to any bowl of chili or Mexican entrée and it’s all-natural too. To make it, all you do is soak raw cashews in a bowl of water overnight and then blend them up with fresh water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of salt. It takes just seconds to make and you won’t believe how much it tastes like actual sour cream.

3. Coconut Whipped Cream
Did you know you can make a decadent, fluffy whipped cream by using a can of full-fat coconut milk? Just chill a can of full-fat coconut milk overnight in the fridge. The next day open the can and scoop out the white cream portion. Now whip the cream and add a touch of sweetener to taste. Not only is it simple to make, but it’s easily the best-tasting whipped cream I’ve tasted.

You can use this whipped cream just like regular dairy whipped cream. I like to use it as a garnish for desserts, and it’s also amazing with a bowl of fruit, on top of a fruit crisp, or stirred into Banana Soft Serve. The options are really endless!

4. Magical Chia Seed Jam
If you’ve got twenty minutes, you can make a healthy jam that will rival any store-bought jam. All you do is cook down fresh fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.) with chia seeds and a touch of sweetener until it thickens up. You won’t believe how thick this gets - hence, the name Magical Chia Seed Jam!

Many of my blog readers say it’s even better than traditional jam. Thanks to the chia seeds, we’re also pumping up the jam with all kinds of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, iron, fiber, protein, magnesium, and calcium. Who knew jam could be so healthy? Try it on oatmeal, parfaits, toast with almond butter, or even as the filling for thumbprint cookies.

Recipe: Magical Chia Seed Jam
Makes 1 cup (250 mL)
Prep time: 20 minutes, Chill time: 2 hours

3 cups (750 mL) fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries
3 to 4 Tablespoons (45 to 60 mL) pure maple syrup or other sweetener, to taste
2 Tablespoons (30 mL) chia seeds
1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the berries and 3 Tablespoons (45 mL) of the maple syrup and bring to a simmer over medium to high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes. Lightly mash the berries with a potato masher or fork, leaving some whole for texture.

2. Stir in the chia seeds until thoroughly combined and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens to your desired consistency, or about 15 minutes.

3. Once the jam is thick, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Add more sweetener to taste, if desired. Enjoy on toast, English muffins, oatmeal, oat bars, tarts, cookies, Banana Soft Serve, and more. The jam should keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks and it will thicken up even more as it cools.

Tip: If making strawberry chia seed jam, process the hulled strawberries in a food processor until almost smooth. The strawberries don’t break down as quickly as other berries do, so this helps them along. After processing, simply transfer the strawberry mixture to a saucepan and proceed with cooking as usual.

5. Banana Soft Serve
I first heard about Banana Soft Serve from my talented friend Gena Hamshaw, who writes the blog Choosing Raw. This method changed the way I looked at soft-serve ice cream! All you do is freeze peeled bananas and then throw them in the food processor and process until a creamy soft serve forms. It’s a healthy treat that I make on a regular basis, and it’s a great pick-me-up on a hot summer day.

The sky is the limit when it comes to what you can add into this treat. Frozen berries, nut butter, cacao nibs, and cocoa or carob powder are all very tasty additions. In the summer, I try to always have some frozen bananas on hand, just for this very recipe. Try it and you’ll soon find yourself passing by the ice cream aisle.

Recipe: Banana Soft Serve
Serves 2
Prep time: 5 minutes

4 ripe bananas, peeled, chopped, and frozen
2 Tablespoons (30 mL) roasted almond butter or peanut butter (optional)

1. In food processor, process the frozen bananas and almond butter (if using) until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. This process can take several minutes, depending on your food processor.

2. When the banana mixture is smooth and has the consistency of soft-serve ice cream, remove it from the processor and enjoy immediately.

Tip: I recommend using yellow bananas with only a few spots. If the bananas are too ripe and spotted, they do not get as creamy and also have a very strong banana flavor (unless, of course, you prefer that!).

Recipes are reprinted by arrangement with AVERY, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © GLO BAKERY CORPORATION, 2014.

Previously:
Don't fear the vegan! Feed them.
A vegetarian may show up at your cookout. Do not be alarmed.
How to eat more compassionately
Quick, simple vegetable sides

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Make • Recipes • Think • Vegan • Vegetarian

« Previous entry
  1. crittermom2

Wouldn't most jam be considered vegan? I'm not aware of any animal products in them.

March 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Reply
    • joshocom

Most jam has sugar, and most sugar is processed utilizing something called "bone char" (which is, as it sounds, made from animal bones). Therefore most sugar is not considered vegan.

March 20, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Reply
      • Thinking things through

She doesn't specify using vegan sugar in that recipe...

March 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Reply
  2. Truth™

Not sure what is in that bowl, but am definitely NOT hitting that...

March 20, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Reply
    • RC

Yeah, that's about as nasty looking a concoction as they could have come up with........

March 20, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®

Then if "she" is vegan, just dip into it for her pleasure. ~_~

March 21, 2014 at 6:50 am | Reply
    • W247

See, that's the problem. Americans are so used to canned and processed foods that when they see "real" fresh foods that don't recognize it. That looks like Strawberry jam to me...

March 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  3. Cecce

These are "staples"? You would be dead in a week. A staple is a necessary food item that supplies the basic building blocks of life, not a dessert or garnish. And, frankly, this is one of the problems I have with this food fad. I investigated the raw, vegan diet and it seems like the bulk of recipes are designed to imitate desserts and provide very little in the way of savory, satisfying and BALANCED meals. It's fine if you don't want to eat meat, but you won't get very far eating fake sour cream and fake soft serve ice cream. All in all, a very pointless article.

March 20, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Reply
    • julie

Cecce – An unfortunate title for sure – but I think the term "staples" was not intended to indicate that these would be regular go-to, but rather things that non-vegans would be thrilled to know were possible.

A healthy vegan diet is more about what you DO eat, not just about what is omitted. Everyone wants to entice the carnivores away from their meaty dishes with fun, exciting vegan foods – but that can miss the point.
      I would suggest that you look a little deeper – A diet centered around fresh greens, fruits and grains (and avoiding packaged crap) will make you feel so damn good; tons of energy, healthy skin and the clearest thinking brain you will have ever experienced.

There is no end to positive health returns – as well as benefits to the environment and other sentient beings.
      Checkout PCRM.org, nutritionfacts.org and the books, The China Study and the Engine 2 Diet for more info.

March 20, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Reply
      • USA PSA

So concludes today's PSA.

March 20, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Reply
      • Thinking things through

As a non-vegan who does truly enjoy bringing more veggie and even vegan meals into my diet, not one of those recipes enticed, and the first two would play havoc on my gut. I want solid meals that hold me. High sugared meals leave me dizzy. And since the tree nut component is right out for me... well, none of these items remotely sing to me. Sigh.

March 20, 2014 at 7:27 pm | Reply
  4. Progressive hipster

This is such a first world problem...

March 20, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Reply
    • Thread Patrol

You are such a troll.
      (Yeah I know – mangia, mangia)

March 20, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  5. jzunee

We eat a no fat added whole foods plant based diet for medical reasons. We have done this for nearly 3 years now and it is amazing. These recipes are for the most part, not low fat. We don't try to create fake substitutes for meat and dairy. Also, we can accept people who choose to eat the things we don't eat. What I can never understand is what carnivores or omnivores become so defensive when they hear that someone chooses to eat differently from them. This is our choice and you are free to eat whatever you like. We accept our consequences and you accept yours. I choose mine.

March 20, 2014 at 11:04 am | Reply
    • Jan

The omnivores I know who are aggressively defensive to vegetarians seem to be grappling with the feeling that they are seen as guilty or wrongful for eating as they do by vegetarians. Vegetarians (and vegans and pescatarians and any other restricted dietitarians) who portray their food choices as Right, Good, Ethical, Correct eating increase this negative response from folks who have less obvious food restrictions. There are dogmatic folks among all life-styles, including eating patterns.

March 20, 2014 at 11:38 am | Reply
    • ed dugan

I eat LOTS of red meat every week and I really don't give a sh** what you eat. I am approaching my 86th birthday and have seen enough food fads to last forever. I do know that vegans try like hell to convince themselves they are eating real food and that you can't be one uless you have an incredible talent for self-delusion.

March 20, 2014 at 11:41 am | Reply
      • Dan

I am MAN...I eat Meat...Meat make me strong. Clearly you must be 86 your thoughts don't make much sense and you sound like your from the stone age. The truth there is direct correlation between societies which consume high amounts of meat and diary and thier rates of chronic diseases. I dont why when some people want to get healthier other feel need to verbally attack them about it. If you dont want to eat these recipes dont read the article.

March 20, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Reply
        • Denise

Your comment was very rude and unnecessary. Vegans who think they are so healthy and have no problems and will live longer, and everyone who eats meat is unhealthy is incorrect. Just because someone eats meat and dairy doesn't mean they are eating cheeseburgers every night. It is possible to still eat healthy without being a vegan.

March 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm |
        • Dan

To Denise: yes my comment was rude but was it unnecessary? No! Ed commented on a nice discussion chain and interjected with profanity and said vegans were self-delusional so i defended myself...with facts. To your statement "Vegans who think they are so healthy and have no problems and will live longer, and everyone who eats meat is unhealthy is incorrect" is inot toally true. Just look up the statistics from the American heart Association, WHO, any documented medical community or literature and you will see that those who refrain from eating meat and diary actually live considerably longer than their piers who do consume animal products. It is a fact whether you want to believe it or not! Ed attacked first dont expect people to not defend themselves against erroneous claims.

March 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm |
      • Jerry

Hey anyone wanna guess how long Ed who "is 86 and east LOTS of red meat" has been on heart medication for high cholesterol and hypertension? oh but i bet thats your genes fault right ED?

March 20, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Reply
    • Sarah

My problem is with vegetarians that are bothered that other people that eat meat.

March 20, 2014 at 11:59 am | Reply
  6. Keith

Vegetarian – Old Indian word for bad hunter.

March 20, 2014 at 10:40 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

HA! That magnet is on our fridge.

March 20, 2014 at 11:02 am | Reply
      • Keith

cool

March 20, 2014 at 11:29 am | Reply
  7. NODAT

So vegans don't eat meat or any animal products but have no difficulty consuming products that are produced in areas that animals once thrived and now have been eliminated do to their lust for non-animal subsistence

March 20, 2014 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • EuphoriCrest

It takes seven times the amount of land and resources to produce meat compared to the equivalent amount of non-meat calories. Thanks for playing, though.

March 20, 2014 at 10:20 am | Reply
    • Ntice

It's a choice of life. And by the way, due is spelled with 3 letters not 2. Due to as opposed to you DO need to learn how to spell.

March 20, 2014 at 11:57 am | Reply
      • Derp

Due to the dew on my windshield, I had to do the wiper thing again.

March 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Reply
      • Thinking things through

Thank you for noticing the typo in his/her post, Nticet. I also just made one elsewhere on this thread, but it was minor enough that (now that it is posted) I've not gone back to put a message underneath correcting it. Yes, mine irritates me, but the meaning comes through. Seriously, unless spelling is truly all over the place, assume typo and MOVE ON.

March 20, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Reply
        • Thinking things through

Newest typo: Is it real, is it Memorex, or is it the horridly small font size on this forum?

March 20, 2014 at 7:53 pm |
        • @n@l P@trol

Typos hitting a little close to home? Don't be so sensitive about your mistakes. Take your digs like a trooper and do some of your own movin' on.

March 21, 2014 at 6:54 am |
        • LOL@@n@l P@trol

U suk.

March 21, 2014 at 8:41 am |
        • @n@l P@trol

Aww. Did duh baby get it's tosies widdled on? Aww.

March 24, 2014 at 7:19 am |
  8. David

I'm vegan for medical reasons, not because I think it's healthier, not because I think it's unethical to eat animals. I have a medical condition that improves when I eat a low fat diet. I love meat, I just don't eat it very often anymore.

But this article is really a waste. I was hoping for recipes, not just a bunch of desserts.

March 20, 2014 at 9:59 am | Reply
    • Jay

Angela Liddon has a website and a Facebook page where she shares a lot of recipes, not just dessert recipes. Even if you're not vegan, many of her recipes taste good.

March 20, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Reply
      • Thinking things through

Yes, it is worth checking her site out, which I did earlier today. It is indeed still very dessert and starch-based, but there are some excellent ideas here and there. Enough to buy her book? I'm afraid, not. But her site is worth a studied browse. I'll go back to test several main courses out.

March 20, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  9. Diane

All these meat eaters getting so upset about one little article about vegan recipes. Why are you even reading this article? I think all you "upset meat eaters" are the true holier than thou preachers. You remind me of people who hate for no good reason other than someone is different. Unbelieveable!

March 20, 2014 at 9:52 am | Reply
  10. Rod Steele

I'll never give up meat. I enjoy beating it too much.

March 20, 2014 at 9:32 am | Reply
  11. Richard

The only changes I've seen occur in vegans is that they are always calling in sick to work and complaining about being "cold" all the time.

March 20, 2014 at 9:30 am | Reply
    • BW

I've had the exact opposite experience. The vegans never get a cold and are always warm. It's the meat eaters who are always catching colds.

March 20, 2014 at 11:13 am | Reply
    • INKT

Google "Frank Medrano"...

March 20, 2014 at 11:13 am | Reply
  12. David

I will occasionally eat vegetables with my meat/dairy diet...

That being said, it should be noted that the almonds and cashews are not really raw. Raw cashews are poisonous–purchased "raw" nuts have been pasteurized. It's an important point just in case someone wants to grow their own...

March 20, 2014 at 9:22 am | Reply
  13. James

"Yes, I had to suck it up and teach myself how to cook real food." Real food like milk, sour cream, whipped cream, jam, and ice cream?

March 20, 2014 at 9:06 am | Reply
    • Donna

That's what I was thinking, too. These things aren't real food you can live on. They are condiments and side dishes for special occasions, some heavy on the calories.

March 20, 2014 at 9:14 am | Reply
  14. Wakka Wakka

How can you tell you are talking to a vegan?

Oh, don't worry, they will tell you. Repeatedly.

March 20, 2014 at 8:53 am | Reply
    • Keith

LOL so true

March 20, 2014 at 10:43 am | Reply
    • Tim

Why do people have to force their views down your throats?

I think I'm moving to Saudi Arabia just to get away from all these damned vegans and gays...

March 20, 2014 at 11:44 am | Reply
      • Ntice

Maybe you prefer to get your head chopped off over there instead you moron. People like you wouldn't survive a day outside the US bubble that you live in.

March 20, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Reply
        • JellyBean

Spot on dude.

March 20, 2014 at 12:45 pm |
        • W247

So funny that you guys didn't catch on to his sarcasm...

March 24, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
        • MCP @ W247

I'm finding that recognition comes with experience.

March 24, 2014 at 2:24 pm |
  15. joshocom

I support veganism (and probably about half our meals at home - which I make - qualify as vegan), but I'm put off by "Oh She Glows." Are these vegan recipes aimed specifically at women? If I was creating a website aimed at the general public, I would certainly try to avoid intimating that this is a website by women, for women.

March 20, 2014 at 8:36 am | Reply
    • Volitan

I was a chef for 20 years and growing up on a cattle ranch in Texas I have always been a big meat eater. However I have to disagree that her site is focused towards women. I use these recipes often and she always talks about her husband and how he enjoys in the experimentation in the kitchen. I still occasionally eat animal products but I find her site very helpful when making vegan alternatives.

March 20, 2014 at 8:58 am | Reply
      • joshocom

I believe the very name connotes "for women." Using a specific gender in the title, as this one does, CAN and WILL keep men away.

I checked out the site before I posted, and of course vegan recipes don't have a gender. But I cannot see any wisdom in giving the site such a gender-specific name. If I were to create a website about food, I wouldn't call it, "Makes Him Strong Like Bull." Most men I know - even the vegan ones - aren't the least bit concerned about giving their skin a so-called "glow" - it's a very feminine appeal.

March 20, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  16. T. Storm

Until the recipes include, beef, chicken, pork, fish,...... milk, eggs & such I will not be trying it. Humans are omnivores, not grazers...

March 20, 2014 at 8:21 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

Huge carnivore here, but son is allergic to all dairy and nut products, and some vegan recipes help. Unfortunately not everyone has a choice what they can and can't eat.

March 20, 2014 at 8:25 am | Reply
      • EuphoriCrest

Obesity is a common problem among carnivores. Hopefully, those vegan dishes will help with your weight problem.

March 20, 2014 at 10:08 am | Reply
        • Keith

Obesity is a common problem for Americans that consume huge amounts of High Fructose Corn syrup, hormones in their beef and antibiotics in their chicken. If your vegetarian diet includes GMO's you are as susceptible to health problems as anyone who eats a Omnivore diet.

For folks like me and my family we have no weight problems because we eat little processed foods and only home grown meat.

March 20, 2014 at 10:47 am |
        • Progressive Beast

Explain that theory to all of the overweight vegans and vegetarians out there. Obesity is caused by consuming more calories than you burn, and is exacerbated by high fructose corn syrup which the body rapidly converts into fat.

March 20, 2014 at 11:31 am |
        • What's a Giddy Topknot?

I've seen pictures of Sir Biddle. He is not even slightly obese. However you definitely sound like a water buffalo. Keep your short comings to yourself jackhole.

March 21, 2014 at 7:00 am |
        • @EuphoriCrest-how do you like those apples, PAL?

"Not sure how anyone can WILL themselves to ignorance, however your comment shows you to be woefully ignorant." And devoid of compassion.

March 21, 2014 at 8:53 am |
  17. JellyBean

What is the "sweetener" you frequently mention? I saw maple syrup but can't imagine always using that. A good read, thank you.

March 20, 2014 at 8:16 am | Reply
  18. Hellscreamgold

Oh, and PETA = people eating tasty animals.

March 20, 2014 at 8:15 am | Reply
  19. Hellscreamgold

Funny how she uses sour "cream" in her recipe. Why is it that vegans/vegetarians HAVE to name things so they sound non-vegan?

I bet this person loves Tofurkey...and soy bacon....and veggie burgers....

March 20, 2014 at 8:15 am | Reply
    • Emma

Maybe because sometimes it's just easier to not invent a new word? Or maybe it's so that we can identify it's purpose? That being said, the term cream isn't inherently pertaining to dairy, it's also a verb. : to stir or mix (ingredients) until they are soft and smooth. She is, in fact, creaming the cashews. To milk something means to extract or draw out. Also a verb. The action of drawing out the nutrients of the almonds implies a milking. Of course, we could keep our proverbial panties in a knot and call it almond beverage.

March 20, 2014 at 8:44 am | Reply
      • Interesting

Thank you!

March 20, 2014 at 8:54 am | Reply
      • JellyBean

Best post yet, Emma.

March 20, 2014 at 11:29 am | Reply
  20. P.R.

How puerile, pathetic, and sad are the fearful, threatened meateaters in this nation and their clearly "superior" understanding of human nutrition to the point of feeling the necessity to take foolish and laughable little pot-shots at a dietary choice that's only sin is being different (and one that doesn't threaten your own terrible life choices in the slightest).

Bet you enjoyed preeminent bully status on the playground, too - did it make you feel big and special? Awwww, how adorable. Go ahead and enjoy all your meat and your heart attacks and cancer and E. coli outbreaks and ecosystemic failure due to the practices of the unethical global meat industry. Enjoy your sow cages and your slaughterhouses and your beakless chickens.

You people REALLY think that VEGANISM is the threat???

Gee, guess you're pathetic AND stupid, too, huh?

Children.

March 20, 2014 at 8:13 am | Reply
    • Eating Vegan

You lost your argument when until you mentioned "E. coli outbreaks." Those are just as common in non-meats as they are in meats. Try again.

March 20, 2014 at 8:17 am | Reply
      • Emma

Because of contaminated cow manure used for compost, contaminated river water used for irrigating. E. Coli run off from massive factory farms. The list goes on. E. coli is a naturally occurring bacteria in animal guts, but due to us over farming them in tightly-packed unhealthy quarters all mixed in with extreme uses of antibiotics–creating new and stronger strains of E. Coli–it's prevalence has exploded. Even manure suffers at the hands of our practices. All of the healthy bacteria lost out to the dangerous toxic bacteria and that manure isn't as magical as it's once been in our grandparent's era.

March 20, 2014 at 8:31 am | Reply
    • Carn E. Vore

I have no problem with Veganism. It's the self-righteous, smug, self-congratulating, holier-than-thou, snobby d-bag vegans that I have a problem with. And unfortunately, about 75% of the vegans I've encountered fall firmly within that category.

March 20, 2014 at 8:33 am | Reply
      • get realist

Cool straw man, bro.

Quite honestly, you're the one who sounds like a "self-righteous, smug, self-congratulating, holier-than-thou, snobby d-bag"

March 20, 2014 at 11:03 am | Reply
        • Carn E. Vore

"Straw Man"? I don't think that phrase means what you think it means. I'd say that about 3/4 of the vegans I've met fit my description perfectly. Nicely done, though, using the "I know you are but what am I?" retort. You may now be passed along to third grade.

March 20, 2014 at 11:39 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I think he meant "Cool Story, Bro."

March 24, 2014 at 11:10 am |
    • Interesting

Thank you!!

March 20, 2014 at 8:43 am | Reply
    • Lynne

Well, soy is a factor in breast cancer and ecoli is often found in veggies, especially things like spinach. I agree that people shouldn't take pot shots at your dietary choice. I also believe, however, that you shouldn't either. Also, don't generalize all people who eat meat into one group. That's a little rude.

March 20, 2014 at 8:59 am | Reply
      • Keith

Amen

March 20, 2014 at 10:49 am | Reply
    • Progressive Beast

Most meat eaters are not actually threatened, but a forum like this gives them a platform to vent about the holier than thou, condescending, preachy attitude that many vegans display. It is truly annoying to listen to a group of self-satisfied, smug people lecture on the "benefits" of veganism, the evils of eating meat, and how superior they are on their enlightened plane. If you want to be vegan, that's great, just stop trying to convert the rest of us.

March 20, 2014 at 11:38 am | Reply
  21. Partisan

Every vegan I know is a self righteous, preachy tool.

March 20, 2014 at 8:12 am | Reply
    • Eating Vegan

That's because the holier-than-thou are the only ones you hear. The rest are doing what we all should do: mind our own business.

March 20, 2014 at 8:14 am | Reply
    • Thinking things through

I found many vegans that way, myself. I am glad to note I now know exceptions to that. Ii am HONORED to cook meals for them!

I also remember the "vegetarian" who kept looking over at my dinner one night, saying "dead cow". The next day, (and now you know why the quotation marks), when she was eating a chicken sandwich, I simply could not resist with comments about "dead birds". Fortunately most vegetarians don't dive into that hypocritical level.

The people who criticize the dining habits of others aren't that way because they are omnivores, carnivores, or vegans. They do this because of some controlling personality trait that is INDEPENDENT of their dietary preference.

March 20, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  22. Emma

Honestly, I sounded a lot like these comments 5 years ago. I was only a bit over weight, okay shape, or so I thought. One summer my husband and I decided to "give being vegan a try" just to say that we tried everything to get that energy and vitality. We never looked back. Everything from blood pressure, cholesterol, chronic congestion, sleep, migraine and fertility issues literally vanished within a couple of months. We conceived both of our children, no medication, within this last five years after trying desperately for the previous 6. Every once in a while some dairy finds it's way in to something we're eating by accident and it isn't pretty. It's safe to say that after a while, believe it or not you no longer crave the mucous secretions of other animals. Your taste buds actually can delight in the taste of freshly made almond "milk". Frankly, I have no issue with non-vegans. I'm not one of those vegans that will start picketing at the grocery store because really at the end of the day the benefits sell themselves. I track my nutrients very carefully, mostly because I'm a breastfeeding mother and I've never been deficient, but while being omnivore I was. Just some food for thought. Even one "vegan" meal a week ought to have some health benefits and if nothing else, perhaps a tad bit of a positive impact on the environmental cost of over-consumption of meat and dairy.

March 20, 2014 at 8:03 am | Reply
    • shawn l

Veganism isn't a diet, its a philosophy. There is no logical reason not to use honey, or eggs from hens you raise... or to use leather , wool or silk.

March 20, 2014 at 8:12 am | Reply
      • Emma

Last I checked, it is what you choose for it to be. Unless I have gone unaware, I'm pretty sure there's no vegan police dictating who can and cannot be vegan. I'm a dietary vegan. Or, as I'm sure you'd prefer it labeled– strict vegetarian. I use the term vegan because we don't eat animal foods whereas vegetarian tends to illustrate dairy and egg consumption.

March 20, 2014 at 8:36 am | Reply
  23. SixDegrees

Funny how so many vegan recipes try so desperately to emulate meat and dairy products.

March 20, 2014 at 8:00 am | Reply
    • Jerry

Funny how scared some meat eaters get when when you offer a meal of only fruits and vegetables...these recipes are catering to people like yourself that feel like they cant live without meat. Most vegan dishes are not meat or dairy imitations.

March 20, 2014 at 8:08 am | Reply
      • shawn l

Funny, because nearly EVERY vegan recipe I have come across does just that. They substitute tofu or seitan instead of meat... or come up with odd substitutes for animal derived products while trying to claim that "You will never know it's not the real thing!"

March 20, 2014 at 8:15 am | Reply
        • Ally

shawn, I wonder where you're finding your recipes. I have many vegan recipes and none of them try to emulate meat.

March 24, 2014 at 12:55 pm |
      • T. Storm

Until it includes meat, eggs, milk & dairy,.. it is not worth eating. We humans are omnivores, not grazers.... go back to grade school biology & see if you can get it right, for once.

March 20, 2014 at 8:24 am | Reply
        • Jerry

its not a question of biology but biochemistry (if you knew what you were talking about) just because you can put food in your mouth and it comes out the other end does not make it part of a healthy diet. The point is a high percentage of Western society eats a diet high in processed meat and dairy and high levels of choric diseases which accompany that consumption. The truth is meat and diary serve no purpose in your diet other than for flavor, meaning eveyrthing you need to function you can find in plant based foods. Its a lifestyle choose to be healthier and have less of an impact on the earth. don't over complicate it our intentions.

March 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm |
      • SixDegrees

You're making a number of false, unwarranted assumptions.

Maybe you need more animal protein in your diet.

March 20, 2014 at 8:27 am | Reply
        • Interesting

Six, you always turn up in these vegan discussions, and you never have much nice/helpful to say. What's up with that, LOL?

March 20, 2014 at 8:44 am |
  24. KieranH

Vegan food sure has changed my life in the past: it made me realize 100% why I eat animals and that which they produce.

March 20, 2014 at 7:26 am | Reply
  25. Eating Vegan

Eating vegan is ok provided they've taken a shower first.

March 20, 2014 at 6:54 am | Reply
  26. Thinking things through

It would be nice to find vegan staples I could eat alongside any vegan friends.

NONE of these recipes are remotely enticing. The first two contain tree nuts (I have a sensitivity to them). The last three are desserts, not a part of any meal I'd be interested in consuming, served vegan-style or otherwise.

I think some good recipes with filling veggies such as mushrooms or eggplant would be in order?

March 20, 2014 at 6:47 am | Reply
    • Thinking things through

I dropped in at the author's site. While it is somewhat starch and dessert oriented, there are indeed some tasty ideas for main course meals, and she lists potential allergens (or at least what of the usual culprits the item is free of) before you click on the recipe.

March 20, 2014 at 7:22 am | Reply
    • shawn l

The only vegetarian dishes that I have found that weren't the typical grains or salads that seemed to be awesome in themselves, are some indian dishes. A huge portion of India is vegetarian so they have learned to do things with vegetables that the west hasnt. Even devout carnivores like Ramsay and Anthony Bourdain have found indian dishes that they love and don't miss the meat.

Im for vegetarian, vegan however is just silly to me. There is no logical reason not to use honey or eggs you know come from a safe source.

March 20, 2014 at 8:18 am | Reply
  27. James

Humans are the only animals who feel guilt from eating meat. A lion doesn't eschew meat because he feels sorry for the little animals. Life feeds on life. Humans are born omnivores, and the only people I ever see who are vegan, are rich, elitist jerks, who think they are better than everyone else because they don't eat meat. This a trend of the affluent, nothing more. Your so vegan shoes pollute more than any leather could. They are made out of petroleum products. Bunch of hypocrites.

March 20, 2014 at 3:19 am | Reply
    • James

I mean to say "your vegan shoes" not your so vegan shoes.

March 20, 2014 at 3:20 am | Reply
    • Kevin

wow James...any more non-factual broad sweeping judgments you want to get off your chest? The truth is yes some vegans are preachy but most are concerned with their own health and the health of the planet. Before you start commenting on this subject again do some research on the benefits of a plant based diet and the effects factory farming is having on both our health and the health of our environment. Why do you think societies who consume larger amount of dairy and meat products have much higher rates of chronic disease (cancer, hypertension, obesity, ect)?

you can either be proactive about improving your life and the life of others or simply fight against it, say its too hard, and/or become complacent with our present conditions. I suspect you are more interested in the latter.

March 20, 2014 at 8:03 am | Reply
    • SP

Humans are the only animals that eat meat when they have a choice to not do so. Humans are also the only animals that fill these animals with antibiotics and hormones. Visit a commercial feedlot and slaughterhouse and see how hungry you feel.

March 20, 2014 at 8:09 am | Reply
      • Carn E. Vore

Really? I offered my dog some green beans and some roast beef. He ate the beef and ignored the green beans.
        Sharks swimming in the ocean have a plethora of plant options available to them. They eat meat. Same with lions and tigers, wolves and coyotes...on and on...
        Care to rethink that ridiculous assertion?

March 20, 2014 at 8:38 am | Reply
        • get realist

Really? My dog goes just as crazy over certain fruits and vegetables as she does meat.

Got another anecdote?

March 20, 2014 at 11:07 am |
        • Pat

My Labrador eats a varied diet: chicken with rice and vegetables, lentils with rice and vegetables, etc. beside dog food. He loves sweet potatoes, green beans, etc. Dogs are omnivores. Just because your dog doesn't eat vegetables like you ... Animals are what they are. Carnivores eat meat and sometimes eat grass to relieve their digestive problems, but herbivores don't supplement their diet with meat. Animals eat what they are instinctively programed to eat. Humans have reason and can choose what's best for a healthy diet. If you just eat mainly meat, you'll have health problems in the long run. You must be ignoring all the medical advices of reducing meat intake and eat more vegetables and fruits.

March 20, 2014 at 11:13 am |
        • Carn E. Vore

So you two actually think that moron's statement "Humans are the only animals that eat meat when they have a choice to not do so" is true? I knew self-delusion ran rampant in vegans but that's just idiocy.

March 20, 2014 at 11:41 am |
        • sp

My statement was based on the fact that humans have a higher level of intelligence and therefore have the choice. I admit that your comments bring that assertion into question.

March 20, 2014 at 9:18 pm |
        • Carn E. Vore

No, SP, you made a staggeringly idiotic claim, got called out on it, and now are trying to backtrack. It's okay to admit you're wrong. Adults do it all the time.

March 24, 2014 at 10:55 am |
    • Maggie Ramsey

Humans are the only animals that do not eat animals killed by themselves, but animals killed by others and raised in large factories where the animals are tortured without any mercy, only to lbe killed in a horrific way. The lion only kills what he needs, and the animal he eats lives a natural, happy life until that moment.

Do you raise and kill everything you eat yourself? No, right? Guess who is the hypocrite.

March 20, 2014 at 8:59 am | Reply
    • Really

I don't think everyone who has issues with commercial meats is worried about eating the poor little animals. Industrial meat farms for pork, beef, and chicken routinely provide unhealty proteins packed with unnatural ingredients and can have severe environmental impacts. Humans are omnivores because we are opportunistic and traditional hunter gatherer society necessitated this way of life, now we don't necessarily need animal proteins because, as opportunistic humans, we can eat whatever we want to to satisfy our nutritional needs. Anyone bashing vegans is as bad as the in your face vegans pushing their nutritional choices.

March 20, 2014 at 8:59 am | Reply
    • Jen

Humans are the only omnivores that kill more meat than they need. Nearly 70% of food produced in the US alone is thrown away. A lion or any other carnivore/omnivore in the wild only kills and takes what it needs. Humans over-produce and over-consume. If you want to eat hormones and other toxins injected into the animal products that's on you. If you want to contribute to the over-production and extreme mistreatment of another living, breathing thing, that's also on you. Don't judge someone for having compassion or another living thing. Or actually caring about their health and the health of this planet.

March 20, 2014 at 11:55 am | Reply
  28. SimonJester

1, Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond JUICE
    2. Homemade Sour NUT JUICE
    3. Coconut Whipped JUICE

Milk and dairy come from breasts, IMO there is no such thing as vegetable or nut "milk" and I refuse to call it that, You vegans can pretend all you want but it is not and never will taste anything like the real thing.

March 20, 2014 at 2:15 am | Reply
    • shawn l

I agree. Always makes me laugh when they try to label nut juices as milk.

March 20, 2014 at 4:17 am | Reply
  29. Joseppi Miart

I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eats nuts and twigs.

March 20, 2014 at 1:26 am | Reply
    • sam

Really? Some people do completely blow me away with their inane remarks concerning a vegan diet! Get a life!

March 20, 2014 at 2:01 am | Reply
    • laury

Really? Can't wait to see you face to face with a lion...

March 20, 2014 at 4:05 am | Reply
    • Paul

Took a lot of personal effort to get there, huh.

March 20, 2014 at 8:20 am | Reply
  30. Progressive Beast

As a species, we are omnivores, which is fact and not debatable. So the notion that eating only plants is somehow better for you is difficult to defend intellectually. What I will accept is that we eat far more meat and dairy than we were intended to thanks to modern livestock technology, food science, and government subsidies to keep the price of meat and dairy artificially low. This is a problem, and I have an ethical problem with factory farming which is horrendously cruel. My solution is to eat less meat and by it from ranchers that use sustainable, human techniques whenever possible. To deny oneself the benefits of eating modest quantities of animal products is to deny the origin and evolution of human beings.

March 20, 2014 at 1:13 am | Reply
    • Kate

Being omnivore means we are ABLE to eat meat. It doesn't mean we are required to. Requiring meat would make us carnivores. Being unable to eat meat would make us herbivores.

Being omnivorous simply means being able to digest whatever type of food is available. It doesn't speak at all to what is preferable or optimal. Omnivores, by definition, have a broad range of choice in what they can eat, and avoiding meat is one option.

March 20, 2014 at 10:07 am | Reply
      • Progressive Beast

It actually means our bodies are best served by eating an omnivorous diet, with modest meat consumption providing high quality protein, vitamins and minerals in a relatively concentrated form. We are (at least most of us) an advanced species capable of logic and rational thought, so we can CHOOSE to subsist on an all plant diet, but that requires care to ensure that you receive all key nutrients. It is very difficult to get all of the B vitamins from plants, for instance. But to argue that an omnivorous diet is not optimal for an omnivorous species is inane. There is a lot of anthropological data that indicates our ability to raise animals for milk and meat consumption led to an extremely rapid increase in the size and structure of our brain which helped humans become the dominant species on the planet. I won't argue for factory farming and for the proportion of meat and dairy that we eat, because I agree it is not an optimal diet and not ethical. But the argument that we did not evolve to eat animals is riddled with holes.

March 20, 2014 at 11:55 am | Reply
  31. Omegatop

Great ideas but many of these recipes are full of fat and sugars.

March 20, 2014 at 12:40 am | Reply
    • Ajax

Exactly. I didn't know vegans never develop high blood sugar.

March 20, 2014 at 1:14 am | Reply
  32. disgustedvet

I'll eat as much of what I want when I want and that's my diet plan. Mild daily exercise and 7 hours of sleep. Still fit into my Army uniform from the 60's and weigh 5 lbs. less than then when I was in the best overall shape in my life. Whatever works .

March 20, 2014 at 12:27 am | Reply
  33. assa

referring to the title of the article...

why would these recipes change any anybody's life? or any recipe for that matter?

March 20, 2014 at 12:09 am | Reply
  34. Jeremy

As a person that see the benefits of veganism but is still a meat-eater. I have one problem with this, these alternatives are significantly more expensive, in terms of both time and money. Cashews are really expensive. So I'm supposed to trade my $1.50 sour cream for $6 cashew sour cream? I understand this because of gov't subsidies blah,blah,blah but common give alternatives that are actually comparable in both flavor, money, and convenience. Otherwise, you're not gonna win many people over.

March 20, 2014 at 12:07 am | Reply
    • wadej420

thats right F$#K the planet and all other useless creature that we rape murder and enslave good point

March 20, 2014 at 12:30 am | Reply
      • shawn l

Veganism has NOTHING to do with saving the planet. Vegetarians might be able to argue that, but not vegans.

March 20, 2014 at 4:18 am | Reply
    • Carn E. Vore

That's because veganism is a philosophy embraced by mostly affluent snobs.

March 20, 2014 at 8:39 am | Reply
  35. ANNIER

I've been doing this for 15-16 years. I could not care LESS what anyone else eats. The only people obsessed with vegan are those who automatically assume we're all nut-jobs. No-one's holding a gun to anyone's head to convert you all, but why a vast majority snipe and denigrate when you really know nothing about it is beyond me!

March 19, 2014 at 11:19 pm | Reply
    • Cows are yummy

Can you please tell this to my vegan co workers?

March 20, 2014 at 12:26 am | Reply
    • Progressive Beast

That may be true of you, but the majority of the vegans that I have met are arrogant, condescending and fanatical about veganism. They have a superiority complex as if they have discovered the true meaning of life, and their enlightened beliefs make them superior to everyone else. And they feel it is their holy obligation to tell everyone eating meat, cheese, dairy, etc., or wearing leather shoes how horrible it is, and why veganism is superior. Both of my daughters are vegan along with my ex-wife, and it is like they are on a holy crusade. And I end up eating a lot of vegan meals with them, and they are often tasty, but anyone who says that vegan dishes taste better than non-vegan dinners is either deluding themselves or lying. Even Jonathan Safran Foer, who wrote the great book, "Eating Animals" agrees with that.

March 20, 2014 at 1:08 am | Reply
      • maestra888

True story

March 20, 2014 at 7:22 am | Reply
  36. Ilikemeat

Can vegan chicks swallow?

March 19, 2014 at 11:10 pm | Reply
    • Relictus

With the tasteless yuck that they are used to eating ... wait, no, it's protein. They'll spit. Nasty.

March 20, 2014 at 12:06 am | Reply
  37. mike

I don't consider myself to be any more, or any less important than other living beings. I choose to co-exist. You will all survive if a few of us don't consume meat. Relax.

March 19, 2014 at 11:06 pm | Reply
  38. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

lol these vegan articles always end up in a food fight with lots of experts on both sides

March 19, 2014 at 11:06 pm | Reply
  39. karin

These are all great recipes that helped me get started eating vegan for the past 4 years. Have never felt better! Don't knock them till you try them. I had a "I'm a meat eater" mentality for so long. Glad I got over it.

March 19, 2014 at 11:02 pm | Reply
  40. jonquil123

I put a scoop of solid coconut oil in with frozen bananas when I whip it up! It creates a creamy, sorbet texture. I use solid coconut oil when replicating buttercream frosting, too. I've been a vegetarian for 23 years, a vegan for 2 and I've never regretted it once. I don't support the cruelty of factory farming and slaughter, my body runs like a well-oiled machine, I can taste subtle nuances in vegetables, coffee and spices and I'm often mistaken for someone 10 years younger than I am. It's a great way to thrive.

March 19, 2014 at 11:01 pm | Reply
    • nukestrom

We are lucky to have people like you on this earth. Keep up the good work.

March 19, 2014 at 11:59 pm | Reply
    • assa

well...plants are living things too...there goes your philosophy of not harming..

March 20, 2014 at 12:14 am | Reply
      • EuphoriCrest

Seems you have added a superfluous "a" to the end of your name.

March 20, 2014 at 2:03 am | Reply
  41. smc

Homemade almond milk is relatively easy to make, but I'm not convinced it's cheaper than store-bought, which is plentiful these days and vitamin fortified. Fresh berries out of season are rarely a bargain, and again, if you read the labels, you can buy great jam at reasonable prices. Making jam is really only worth it if you can get bulk berries fresh and more importantly know how to preserve them properly to last.

I've had the coconut whipped cream, it's OK. I'll have to try the sour cream.

Banana soft serve is awesome though with some nuts and chocolate sauce!

March 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Reply
    • Progressive Beast

My vegetarian girlfriend regularly dines on my banana and nuts with special sauce.

March 20, 2014 at 1:17 am | Reply
  42. MashaSobaka

I do not understand why people feel the need to click on a link to vegan recipes only to leave comments on how they could never be vegans. Did you guys not get enough attention as kids? Is that it? Grow up. Some people are going to be vegan. Please just accept it. (And don't give me the "I wouldn't say anything if they weren't shoving it down our throats!" response. This was a very unhostile article. Nothing being shoved down any throats here.)

I'm going to try the coconut milk whipped cream thing. I'm not vegan (or vegetarian, for that matter) but keeping a can of coconut milk is a lot easier than buying cream that will end up spoiling because you can't use all of it fast enough.

March 19, 2014 at 10:48 pm | Reply
    • Ron

They are the same people that click on religious articles, and make fun of Christians.
      Just don't feed the trolls, and live your life.

March 20, 2014 at 12:11 am | Reply
      • wadej420

so true, except veganism could save the planet and well christians have been destroying it with war and hate for centuries

March 20, 2014 at 12:34 am | Reply
        • shawn l

Blame that on C N N for having the title on the main webpage link stating "Vegan recipes that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!"

I clicked this link to see what exactly was so special, and guess what, none of them are.

March 20, 2014 at 4:21 am |
        • LoveWillKeepUsTogether

Great. A Christian troll on a vegan article site. There are, of course, Christian vegans. If you can't build up, try not to tear others down. ...wait, isn't that the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" thing? (sigh)

March 20, 2014 at 8:18 am |
        • Carn E. Vore

"Veganism could save the planet"? This is why people make fun of vegans. The ridiculously smug assertions of self-importance and superiority you people make are almost beyond belief. The only threat to our planet – at least for the next five billion years or so – is from large asteroid collisions, yet you deciding not to eat chicken wings is going to save it. Talk about a Messiah complex!!!

March 20, 2014 at 8:47 am |
    • shawn l

Blame that on CNN for having the stories title say, "Vegan recipes that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!"

March 20, 2014 at 4:21 am | Reply
    • Carn E. Vore

I do it because most vegans I've encountered are arrogant, elitist d-bags. So I like giving back any chance I get.
      Ron, I make fun of Christians for the same reason I make fun of all religious people: they believe in ridiculous nonsense.

March 20, 2014 at 8:44 am | Reply
  43. Jennifer

I agree with Tim!! I love salads and veggies and plant matter and fruit and nuts; but OMG I dearly love a good steak or chicken right off the grill!!
    And vegans don't want to realize that many, many races/species/classes of humans originated in parts of the earth that had no (zero, zip, zilch, nada) plant matter to eat. Animals, meat, fish, seafood, wildlife were what sustained us and grew us into our current society.

March 19, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Reply
    • shawn l

Yep. And vegans also don't want to recognize that it's silly not to consume some animal products like eggs and honey.

March 19, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Reply
      • Jim

How is it silly? I haven't eaten any animal products for decades. I think it is silly to eat those things when they are less healthy and more costly to civilizations to produce.

March 19, 2014 at 10:50 pm | Reply
        • Progressive Beast

Uh, you realize that we are ominvores, right? We don't have those canine teeth for tearing into a head of cabbage. What is inherently unhealthy about honey or eggs? Eggs are an easily digestible form of animal protein and honey has anti-allergy benefits as well as being a natural sweetener. What you said makes no sense.

March 20, 2014 at 1:21 am |
        • shawn l

How is honey production more expensive for humanity sir or madam? Bees are a requirement for the recipes listed above as most almond and nut crops are completely dependent on bees for pollination. I happen to have a few hives.

March 20, 2014 at 4:23 am |
        • shawn l

I also have egg laying hens in my backyard that help to control pests in my garden. I recycle my scraps from my kitchen to feed them as well... so again, no burden on mankind or the land.

March 20, 2014 at 4:24 am |
      • ANNIER

Yep.

Sez you.

March 19, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Reply
    • Jim

Many vegans eat the way they do for both ethical and health reasons. I don't understand how the historical diet of a human being factors into either one of those things. Just because human beings have eaten a certain way in the past, or are adapted to be omnivores, does not mean that eating as an omnivore is healthy. Our best Science suggests that there are many downsides to consuming meat and dairy. There aren't really any downsides to eating vegetables and fruits. There is simply no nutrition in meat and dairy products, that you can't get from something else that is more healthy. Eating meat and dairy also contributes to fresh water reduction, harmful pollution, and animal cruelty. Since it is completely unnecessary to do so, it is unethical.

March 19, 2014 at 10:49 pm | Reply
      • Progressive Beast

You actually said, "Just because human beings have eaten a certain way in the past, or are adapted to be omnivores, does not mean that eating as an omnivore is healthy." Do you want to read that again and then explain how that makes any sense whatsover? You are arguing that eating in the manner to which we have adapted through evolution is somehow not good for us. Try feed the lions at the zoo and all plant diet and see how well they do.

March 20, 2014 at 1:24 am | Reply
        • shawn l

Sir, don't use logic with a vegan.

March 20, 2014 at 4:25 am |
        • Interesting

Lions are carnivores, so, no they're not going to thrive on veggies. Bad example.

March 20, 2014 at 8:49 am |
  44. len

I would NOT use RAW cashews as this person suggests. I researched it before & found it has toxin(s) that only are made safe by thorough processing or cooking.

March 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm | Reply
    • Elise

Unless you happen to work in a cashew plant or pick cashew apples, it’s unlikely you’ll encounter completely raw cashews. The so-called raw cashews sold in natural food stores are not exactly raw, but instead are steamed. It is the case that the double shell surrounding the raw cashew, which is technically a seed and not a nut, contains urushiol, a resin that can create significant skin rashes, and can be toxic when ingested.
      Urushiol is the same chemical found in poison ivy, and it is present on the leaves of the cashew tree as well as in the raw cashew shell. Processing raw cashews can be a laborious and nightmarish ordeal, and people who work in cashew processing plants tend to exhibit greater allergies to cashew shells over time. There is a high incidence of skin rashes among people who either harvest or process raw cashews. Greater sensitivity to urushiol can lead to extreme allergic reaction when raw cashews are ingested, and anyone allergic to poison ivy could potentially have a fatal reaction to eating true raw cashews.
      This is why we don’t eat strictly raw cashews. Even the “unroasted’ varieties are steamed to release urushiol from the nut and make it safe to eat. Certainly, those raw cashews sold as raw have been processed to remove urushiol, so there is no danger in consuming them. As nuts and seeds go, safely prepared cashews actually cause very few allergies, especially when compared to nuts like walnuts or legumes like peanuts.

March 19, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Reply
    • Speedro

Toxins? Please name them. Thought so, idiot.

March 19, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Reply

March 20, 2014 at 4:27 am | Reply
  45. atroy

Hmmm.....lost track of how many times the term "add sweetener" was used in this article......Sorry but meat is always healthier than sugar.

March 19, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Reply
    • Jim

I like to see what Scientific research claims that. I have never heard something so ridiculous. There are numerous long term studies on the health risks associated with meat consumption. Sugars are a necessary part of a diet. Meat is not.

March 19, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Reply
    • ANNIER

Agave....honey.....maple syrup....One doesn't have to eat the carcinogen-laden "sweeteners".

March 19, 2014 at 11:14 pm | Reply
  46. Kim

I look at recipe articles like this not because they're vegan (I'm an omnivore myself) but because I'm always looking for substitutes for hard-to-find things or to help avoid allergies (I have friends with milk allergies). Myself, I find vegan diets silly (humans are evolved to be omnivores) but it's to each their own. If it works for you, good for you.

However, one of my biggest pieces of advice for anyone, vegan or no, is eat stuff and cook stuff acknowledging what it is. Those fake meat products suck. That isn't the way to use tofu. Tofu is good for cooking as long as you acknowledge what it is - tofu, not beef, not turkey. Don't cook it like it's beef. There are lots of dishes that people have been using for centuries in Asia that are good tofu dishes. Fake bacon is just a nasty substitute.

March 19, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Reply
  47. Tom

The energy doesn't come from eating vegan. The energy comes from never having time to eat anything because all your time is spent preparing the food and cleaning up the kitchen later.

March 19, 2014 at 9:12 pm | Reply
    • Kawaski

Amen!

March 19, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Reply
  48. Rheena

Vegan isn't for everyone.
    It's for people waking up to conscious living.
    Sleep on, dreamers, and don't fret. Your day will come in good time.
    Until then, don't judge us for awakening, and we won't judge you for your dreams.

March 19, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Reply
    • atroy

Wow....I never knew how much Veganism was like Christianity.....always judging other people and putting them down......so glad I'm not like you.

March 19, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Reply
      • Jim

Being Vegan is better for everyone. The only reason to consume animal products is out of pure selfishness. They are less healthy and contribute to a variety of global problems. So, why eat them? I'm guessing the primary reason is because you like how they taste. I'm sorry, but that is ridiculously selfish.

March 19, 2014 at 10:57 pm | Reply
        • VladT

Dang....all those selfish animals out in the world as well.

P.S. Plants are living, but I guess a broccoli head isn't as cuddly as a baby lamb

March 20, 2014 at 5:50 am |
      • Jim

Most people are Vegan because they are concerned with personal health, and the health of the environment. Christianity is an unfounded belief system. The health benefits of Veganism are well documented and backed by Science. Do not confuse belief with facts.

March 19, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Reply
        • Progressive Beast

Like you have you mean?

March 20, 2014 at 1:26 am |
      • wadej420

that is by far the dumdest comment on the board congrats douche, if anything all the hate and judgments are coming from the angry meateads which is the definition of Christianity. veganism=athiesm= saved the planet

March 20, 2014 at 12:38 am | Reply
      • Rheena

And if THAT isn't a judgment, then what is? Dreamers are touchy that way though... I understand! I myself don't like to expand beyond the horizons that I occupy at any given time - but I do anyway.

March 20, 2014 at 5:25 am | Reply
    • William Pitts

i'm not sure what conscious living in is but I do know that if it's what you believe
      is right then go for it. It gets back to the old saying " To Thine Own Self Be True".
      Also most vegans put more work in creating receipe's that are unique and usually
      quite tasty so post them to us. We'll eat them and enjoy them. WE just won't give up
      our meat to go with it.

March 19, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Reply
    • shawn l

A condescending vegan? Say it aint so!

March 19, 2014 at 10:29 pm | Reply
    • Speedro

Vegan is gay period.

March 19, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Reply
      • Etien de Lamothe-Cassell

Wow...Vegan is gay? You must have been looking in the mirror when you thought of that one.

March 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Reply
      • wadej420

says the guy who loves to put MEAT in his mouth all day every day. yup prettyyyyy gay

March 20, 2014 at 12:39 am | Reply
        • etiendelamothecassel

As a fäggöt you would certainly know

March 20, 2014 at 7:20 am |
    • Progressive Beast

It sounds like you are suffering from a protein and Vitamin B deficiency which can cause mild delusional behavior. I recommend a nice juicy steak or a cheeseburger and you will realize that what you think is an elevated consciousness is really a pseudo trance-like state similar to sleepwalking. Remember, we are omnivores, not herbivores. Bon appetit!

March 20, 2014 at 1:01 am | Reply
  49. William Pitts

Sounds like a good dessert for a steak and potato dinner. Sorry I'm a meat eater.
    Some of my friends are vegan. The dishes they serve are usually very tasty but
    they always leave me thinking that they left out the main entree.
    My sister in law is a converted vegan. If she comes over at dinner time I swear
    sometimes I see her mouth drooling.

March 19, 2014 at 9:08 pm | Reply
    • Jim

Could you try being less selfish, so the rest of us don't suffer from your consumption of animal products.

March 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Reply
      • Progressive Beast

Could you please try to be less arrogant and proselytizing, so the rest of us don't have to suffer from our inflated sense of self-importance?

March 20, 2014 at 1:28 am | Reply
        • Rheena

To be fair, I imagine that serial killers feel faintly inconvenienced by the fact that killing is illegal.

March 20, 2014 at 5:26 am |
      • Jens

Some animal products are renewable resources – such as the wool or hair of fiber producing animals. They grow more. Most egg producers do not have roosters so the eggs are not fertile – I seldom had roosters around when I had hens for egg production for my family. Milk – todays milk animals are bred for over production – so the offspring don't starve. Failure to harvest some animals is cruel as they are consuming too much of their environment and will, themselves, starve or become weakened and prone to disease.
        Leather shoes? The hide of the animal is a secondary product. Do vegans advocate the wasting of resources?

So wear cotton? Do the research – cotton has a huge amount of chemicals applied to the plants during the growing periods starting with fertilizer to help the plants grow to defoliants to make the leaves die off so it is easier to harvest the bolls.

While there are pros and cons to all arguments and disagreements, the actual truth of the matter lies somewhere in between. Consuming foods and using both animal and plant products that are local and appropriate to the season makes more sense as that reduces transportation costs, and can support local economies. It's not a 100% cure, but a step in the right direction.

March 20, 2014 at 6:24 am | Reply
      • Tim

Hitler was a vegetarian.

Should we really be more like Hitler?

Just saying.

March 20, 2014 at 11:39 am | Reply
  50. Tim

I am sorry. Nothing "vegan" will ever change my life.

Unless I was like....in prison in India.

March 19, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Reply
    • Etien de Lamothe-Cassell

LOL....one of the funnier statements I've seen lately.

March 19, 2014 at 11:02 pm | Reply