Coffee klatsch
March 17th, 2014

Pssst! Got a sec to chat? We are utterly thrilled when readers want to hang out and talk – whether it's amongst themselves or in response to pieces we've posted. We want Eatocracy to be a cozy, spirited online home for those who find their way here.

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic. You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. AleeDon't®

Happy Friday. It's payday and I'm going to my first Trader Joe's tomorrow. No, not the new one in Tampa. It's opening today and will be a nightmare to get into for the next several months. We're going to the one in Sarasota instead. Whips & chains to all! ~_~

March 21, 2014 at 7:12 am | Reply
    • Truth™@AleeDon't

We just got our first TJ's out here, and my response is...Meh...
      The transplanted west coast hipsters love it, but I don't think it is that big a deal. Call me when we're talking Stew Leonard's...

March 21, 2014 at 8:15 am | Reply
      • RC@ Truth™

To be fair, TJ's has been around a LOT longer than hipsters. I've never heard of Stew Leonard's, but I like Trader Joe's. Beats the hell out of Safeway/Albertsons/Fred Meyer anyway.

March 21, 2014 at 10:55 am | Reply
        • Truth™@RC

Stew Leonard's is a cross between Disneyland and a grocery store on steroids. A little pricey, but the quality is excellent.

TJ's is good, and a place where you can find pretty much anything, but I got sick of hearing about them before they opened in Colorado, as the neighborhood they are in is full of hipsters who treat it like it was the coming of the grocery messiah...:)

March 21, 2014 at 11:19 am |
        • RC@ Truth™

Yeah, that's the way they treat Whole Foods here. You'd think all other grocery stores were going to kill you with inferior food.
          Stew gotz rides?

March 21, 2014 at 12:22 pm |
    • TNT

Trader Joe's & Stew Leonard's? I have no idea what either one of those are. What am I missing? Do tell! 😊

March 21, 2014 at 9:31 am | Reply
      • AleeD® @ TNT

I've been reading about TJ's since I became a regular on Eatocracy. Prior to that, like you, I'd never heard of it either. It's a grocery store that started out in CA. Being in FL, it's taken a while for the "love" to spread to the right coast. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my favorite, gourmet grocery store: Fresh Market. Where are you located?

March 21, 2014 at 9:45 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammperpants ♫♫

The NGF was huge into Trader Joe's. I was unimpressed when I went. Overpriced grocery store.

March 21, 2014 at 11:04 am | Reply

Friend

March 21, 2014 at 1:42 pm |
        • Truth™@RC

Nurse Girl Friend...

March 21, 2014 at 1:54 pm |
        • RC@Truth™

I was actually thinking "New", but nurse works too.

March 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammperpants ♫♫ @ RC

Yeah, Turth has informed you correctly. The old timers around here recognize the acronym. An ex GF. Things ended pretty badly, so there was no sympathy from me when her new BF business burned to the ground or when they broke up and she moved back into her own house. LOL.

No I didn't burn it down, but it was arson. I was wondering if I'd be questioned, lol. Not sure if they ever found the guy.

March 21, 2014 at 4:42 pm |
        • RC@ Jdizzle McHammperpants ♫♫

Oh damn, that's funny. Karma's a b!tch.

March 21, 2014 at 5:57 pm |
  2. Breaking News

Fred Phelps, the founding pastor of Westboro Baptist Church, known for its virulently anti-gay protests at public events, died Wednesday, the church said today. He was 84. Phelps founded Westboro Baptist of Topeka, Kansas, in 1955 and molded it in his fire-and-brimstone image. Many members of the small congregation are related to Phelps through blood or marriage. According to the church's website, it has picketed more than 53,000 events, ranging from Lady Gaga concerts to funerals for slain U.S. soldiers. Typically, a dozen or so church members – including small children – brandish signs that say "God Hates F@gs" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers."

March 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Reply
    • Truth™

I try to not take pleasure in the pain or suffering of others, but in this case I will gladly make an exception. This guy was such a misrepresentation of the teachings of Christianity, that the world is better without him.

March 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Reply
      • Sir Biddle

Agree! Wonder how many will protest his funeral.

March 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Reply
        • Truth™@Biddle

Those azzhats once protested my building. I spent twenty minutes on my 7th floor balcony spitting on them. Funny part was that when I left the office, my assistant asked where I was going and I told her. She thought I was kidding...

March 20, 2014 at 2:03 pm |
        • TNT

I wondered the same thing, Sir Biddle. As Mary Shannon & AleeD said...I agree with them.
          Truth, You should have had your assistant come with you. You 2 could have had a contest to see who hit the most! 😄

March 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm |
      • Mary Shannon

And just like that, the world is a little better place.

March 20, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Reply
        • AleeD®

You took the words right out of my mouth.

March 20, 2014 at 2:07 pm |
      • RC

Ding dong, the Witch is dead!

March 20, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Reply
    • Thinking things through

He's not worth the spittle or energy to protest at his funeral. He's done and dead, carrion in some sort of box. Good enough for me.

March 21, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  3. Hilarious vegan blog!

March 20, 2014 at 10:43 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

March 20, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  4. Mary Shannon

Joyful Vernal Equinox, everyone!!! Here's hoping Mother Nature can read the calendar and steps up her game...fast!!! I want at least one week over 50 degrees, that's not asking too much, is it?

:-)

March 20, 2014 at 9:47 am | Reply
  5. Truth™

Far be it to politicize a food blog, but I thought this was interesting...

March 20, 2014 at 9:39 am | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

Bummer. The same thing happened when the library started a healthy living series...all refreshments at Board meetings turned into veggies and healthy snacks.

March 20, 2014 at 9:50 am | Reply
  6. Truth™

Good morning all!

This guy looks and dresses like the village idiot, but this completely fits my mood today...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM&w=640&h=390]

March 20, 2014 at 8:15 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

Thanks for putting that song in my head for the second day in a row. I purposely put on AC/DC on the way to work to avoid it. 30 seconds on the Klatch and I'm toast.

March 20, 2014 at 8:28 am | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

When you're happy, I'm happy!!!

March 20, 2014 at 9:35 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammperpants ♫♫

That song played no less than 5 times during my work day yesterday. Fortunately am in a different office today and Korn is now in my ear vs that pop crap.

March 21, 2014 at 11:05 am | Reply
  7. Ms. Grammar

Welcome back, QOE!!!! Congratulations!

Hey, just sayin', but check out the Christopher Walken dance clips in Entertainment. That made me smile so big (long time since anything did that). I LOVE CW – I don't care if it's a good or bad movie, television appearance, etc. I'm in it for HIM. Can you tell I have a HUGE crush???? Huh???? Yeah, I do (always will). To quote one of our Klatschers, "That is all."

March 20, 2014 at 6:06 am | Reply
  8. Queen of Everything from the Castle

Hear ye, hear ye! All gather 'round for a royal proclamation: By this time next week there shall be a new addition to the Royal Family. Thing 3 shall make his royal debut any day now. I, the Queen, am very excited about this as it has been a long time since I've been able to see my feet. I miss being able to see my feet. Although the King has informed me that I've developed cankles and my toes resemble Vienna sausages by the end of the day. He did say they were very cute Vienna sausages but that may have just been to get me to stop crying.

March 19, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Reply
    • Truth™@QOE from the Castle

Welcome back your Highness, and MANY congrats on the addition to the royal family. I think I can safely speak for the group here when I say that you have been missed. Welcome back!

March 19, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Reply
      • Queen of Everything from the Castle@Truth

Thanks for the welcome. Life has been a bit rocky the past couple of years but we seem to have settled into a new groove.

March 19, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Reply
        • Truth™@QOE from the Castle, with a GREAT idea...

Hey since it is the month of March, why not try for Irish twins...A little princess perhaps...;)

March 19, 2014 at 2:23 pm |
        • Queen of Everything

No way! The Royal family will not be expanding beyond this point. If I find I need another girl around the house I'll just get a female fish.

March 21, 2014 at 10:10 am |
  9. AleeD®

Hey! Today is 03/19/14! 1914 is the same year Rich was borned-ed! Coincidence? I think not.

March 19, 2014 at 9:48 am | Reply
    • TNT

& he still drives! Lol!

March 19, 2014 at 10:17 am | Reply
  10. Mary Shannon

We haven't had a Question of the Day recently, so here's one.

What household chore do you absolutely detest and what do you do about it? Mine is tying up cardboard for recycling. I am all for the environment but I think it is discouraging people when local communities put all sorts of rules around it. For example, in my area, all cardboard has to be neatly folded and tied with twine, then put into a specific bin. I just took mine out, that I painstakingly bundled on Sunday (again, which I hate to do) and found that the bin hadn't been emptied recently because people just put their cardboard in without folding and tying. Arrgghh.

Ok, that's mine, show me yours :-)

March 18, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Reply
    • I can't stand

getting the mail.

March 18, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Reply
      • Mary Shannon

That would be my second vote...luckily we have locking mailboxes.

March 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Reply
      • Then sit down

and don't.

March 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Reply
        • I stand up

and check it Sundays.

March 19, 2014 at 9:24 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Never know. Maybe Grandma sent $3

March 19, 2014 at 10:26 am |
    • AleeD®

Changing the sheets. We tried the garter belt method for keeping the bottom sheet tucked in and it doesn't work as well as I'd like.

March 18, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Reply
      • RC @ AleeD®

"We tried the garter belt method" Hehe.....I'll bet you did ;)

March 18, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Reply
    • Thinking things through

Cleaning floors. Dunno why, but it is way down there, like down under my feet.

Instead of the 5 second rule, I observe the 1 nanosecond rule.

March 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Reply
    • Thinking things through

Re recycling: they are a lot less restrictive around here. As long as it is the proper stuff, toss it in the proper container, and it's good to go... literally.

March 18, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

I *dread* installing/de-installing air conditioners. One of my least favorite tasks of the year.

March 18, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Reply
      • AleeD® @ Kat

You reinstall your entire air conditioner once a year?!?! Are we talking about Trane or Renuzit?

March 19, 2014 at 7:37 am | Reply
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Running a Trane is a bad idea.

March 19, 2014 at 10:27 am |
    • TNT

Dusting! Ugh, hate that job. Close 2nd is cleaning out the curio cabinet, that takes hours. What do I do about it? Do it & get it over with. Lol!

March 19, 2014 at 9:21 am | Reply
  11. RC

Wow. Local news 'copter just crashed near the Space Needle. At least 2 dead, multiple injuries........

March 18, 2014 at 11:48 am | Reply
  12. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Volbeat tickets in hand. Ensue school girl screams and hugs.

March 18, 2014 at 7:36 am | Reply
    • Harry Pothead@JDizz

I though I killed Voldebeat at the end of the last book...?

March 18, 2014 at 9:37 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

*gasp*

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!

Weird that I know that phrase and have never seen more than the first movie.

March 18, 2014 at 10:10 am | Reply
  13. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Just bought me this shirt.

March 17, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®

Nice. Red, black, navy or white? I'm guessing red.

March 18, 2014 at 6:31 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Nailed it.

March 18, 2014 at 7:30 am | Reply
    • TNT

Nice! Reminds me of a song by ZZTop. 😉

March 19, 2014 at 9:23 am | Reply
      • The Smart Aleck

le Grange?

March 19, 2014 at 9:29 am | Reply
        • Truth™

I'm thinking "Sharp Dressed Man"...

March 19, 2014 at 9:34 am |
        • The Smart Aleck

:( It was a joke.

March 19, 2014 at 9:44 am |
        • TNT

Ding ding ding, Truth wins! 😃

March 19, 2014 at 10:10 am |
  14. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

RH, we missed you!

March 17, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead@Jdizz

How 'ya doing Bro ? Sounds as tho the Jeep needs a swift kick in the Azz. It'll be spring shortly-even in Wisconsin. I've been pushing the limits lately-eat,sleep,shower….rinse and repeat. On the Bright side-Big Blue is running and throwing the Flames out of the stacks. Everything will calm down in a couple of months,until then…..Money,Money,Money. Guess I shouldn't complain. Take care Bro and stay warm.

March 18, 2014 at 1:44 am | Reply
      • AleeD® @ RichHd

1:44am? Dude! I hope you're sleeping now. We worry so ....

March 18, 2014 at 6:34 am | Reply
  15. JBJingles

Good morning class, what's shaking?? Oh that's right, we are here is So. Cal...quite the 'shock' this morning.

Welcome back RH, my bff, have you received any special mail lately?? Huh? Huh??

March 17, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead@JBJ

Maybe-–The Hula Girl is sure cute tho….:))

March 17, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  16. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Day off! 3rd day of a three day weekend! Didn't do squat Sat and Sun, Netflixed my brains out. Ran errands this morning, cleaned out Jeep, neck trim, dropped $110 at the grocery store (a lot for a single dude). Glad I got it all done early. Really starting to come down as I unloaded the Jeep. Late March snowstorm hitting today, I guess. Wouldn't know. Netflix doesn't report local weather.

So chillin with tunes, do some laundry, make my first first corned beef dinner in my adult life today. Do what I wish with a couple fresh clams and oysters I also picked up at the market (Lent, seafood sales all over the place). Drink a cold ale when all done. Sounds like a goof Monday.

March 17, 2014 at 12:29 pm | Reply
    • TNT

How did your corned beef turn out?

March 19, 2014 at 9:24 am | Reply
  17. TNT

Good afternoon everyone! Happy St. Patricks Day! 🍀 Any "green" plans for today? I went to a family gathering yesterday for corned beef brisket & cabbage. It was so good! A local pub always has a party on SPD, serving green beer. I think I might just stop in on the way home. 😁

March 17, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  18. Mary Shannon

Good morning! Another chilly day here, 18 degrees right now. RH, I'm holding you to that promise of spring around the corner!

Anyone have any plans for celebrating today? I usually do not go out, its more like amateur night around here.

March 17, 2014 at 9:45 am | Reply
    • RichardHead@Mary S.

HA !! Let me check the Crystal Ball…….The calendar says Spring starts Turdsday-tho it's been a weird winter. I expect a rainy Monsoon season for the next 3 months,which beats snow any day of the week. How 'ya feeling ? Hopefully,the Furries are being good and looking forward to some warmer weather. Gonna be in the 70's here in Texas this week. Gotta Love it.

March 17, 2014 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • TNT

Hi there! How ya feeling? We're at 18°, too. However, I did see 3 robins yesterday. Sure sign of Spring coming! Or they're just stupid birds & came back too early. Lol!

March 17, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Reply
    • AleeD® @ Mary S

Goooooood morning nice lady. How are you doing, minus one organ (Hammond, right?)? Are the furries warming up your sore spots?

March 18, 2014 at 6:33 am | Reply
      • Mary Shannon

Alee and TNT, I am doing better. Not many sore spots left, except if I bend down the wrong way and then I get a reminder :-)

Alee, are you cured after your cowd? TNT, you and I will have to virtually celebrate when spring really arrives!

March 18, 2014 at 9:41 am | Reply
        • AleeD®

Yes I ab ... I mean I am. :) Got a back adjustment and the cold disappeared. Never in a million years thought there was any merit in that – now I know.

March 18, 2014 at 2:13 pm |
        • TNT

Sounds like a plan, Mary Shannon! Hope we get to celebrate soon.
          AleeD, Your cold went away from a back adjustment? Nice! Better than swallowing nasty tasting cold meds!

March 19, 2014 at 9:28 am |
        • AleeD® @ TNT

Yep. I can't explain it and I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it to others. All I can say is that since April last year, I've been regularly visiting a chiro & a masseuse as physical therapy for a myriad back & neck issues. I already had an appt with the chiro, he did his usual thing and now my cold is gone. Strange but true.

March 19, 2014 at 9:42 am |
        • TNT

AleeD, I had a surgery a several years back, had a rotten cold, too. They had me take Tylenol 3 with codeine. When I was laying there, my nose dried up & my cold was gone! Didn't come back, either. (I was still taking the ty3 after) Very weird!

March 19, 2014 at 10:15 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

What do they call that? Holistic Medicine? Seems to work.

March 19, 2014 at 10:48 am |
  19. RichardHead

It is with great sadness that Clarissa Dickson Wright–of Two Fat Ladies fame has died. I used to watch the show on the BBC channel just to see what kind of trouble these two would get into. They Both showed how you can have Fun cooking, while using Farm raised meats and produce. RIP to them both…Sigh.

March 17, 2014 at 8:51 am | Reply
    • RichardHead@Our Fearless Leader--KAT

Moderated again ??? Things haven't changed in awhile. Hope your doing well.

March 17, 2014 at 8:53 am | Reply
      • RichardHead@Our Fearless Leader--KAT

Thanks Kitten.:))

March 17, 2014 at 9:03 am | Reply
        • Kat Kinsman

I does what I can.

March 17, 2014 at 9:53 am |
    • Ms. Grammar

Oh, how sad! I loved their show. How can you not like someone who starts a recipe by saying "Throw a goodly knob of butter in the pan...?"

March 17, 2014 at 11:39 am | Reply
      • RichardHead@Ms.Grammar

Yo,Ms Southern New Jersey….These two Ladies were the Best at what they did…..cooking,getting into trouble and taking care of each other. It was a fabulous series. They both will be missed. How's the New Home and Pup doing ? Hope your taking care of yourself. You've got my e-mail address. Take care.

March 18, 2014 at 1:33 am | Reply
  20. Truth™

Good morning all. How is everyone doing today? Here's hoping that everyone had a great weekend and a better week ahead.

March 17, 2014 at 8:16 am | Reply
  21. RichardHead

Good Monday Morning Kidz….It's been awhile. Finally made it home for 4 days and have done nothing but sleep. Big Blue is getting maintenance and a well deserved rest. Freight has been crazy good and I'm racking up the miles out the Kazooo-Don't let 'em tell you the economy is slow…I know otherwise. I hope everyone had a Great weekend and y'all are in Good Health. Stay Safe and Warm in the Northeast-Spring is around the corner.

March 17, 2014 at 6:21 am | Reply
    • AleeD® @ MUCH Older Bro'

Morning Bro ... *yawn* ... glad you & BB are finally getting some rest. Did you time your rest to coincide with March Madness perhaps? Here's a timely shot:

March 17, 2014 at 7:41 am | Reply
      • RichardHead@My 'Sista

Wasssssss UP,Red-Headed step Child ? Hope your wearing Green today ? I only watch NCAA Women's BB–especially my favorite team–THE UCONN Huskies. They should WIN it all this year. How's things in Floridork ? Got stuck in Jacksonville a couple weeks ago–no freight and had to Dead Head to Georgia to continue a long run.

March 17, 2014 at 7:49 am | Reply
        • AleeD®@ MO Bro'

Ah yes – the women's branch. GoodONya. Things are blowing up 'round these parts. BIG wind blowing debris everywhere. Looking forward to the rain to calm things down. In like a lion and all.

Dead head from Jax to GA? What's that distance? Half a mile? ^_^