February 13th, 2014

A World Food Programme aid director on the ground in Syria described to CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Tuesday the desperate situation of civilians in war-ravaged Homs – something he said he had “never seen” before in his career.

“Nobody is able to actually feed themselves, feed their children, feed their families, with anything but the weed, the grass that they can pick on the side of the curb and what little that they can eke out from what they’ve saved over time,” Matthew Hollingworth, Syria director for the World Food Programme, said on the phone from Homs.

“They’re living in tunnels, they’re living in basements of apartment buildings which are otherwise destroyed, basements of shopping centers.”

“They are barely, and they have been barely, existing,” he said. “I’ve never seen levels of deprivation such as this.”

The United Nations is taking advantage of a rare, and very shaky ceasefire to deliver aid to civilians in the war-ravaged Syrian city of Homs.

Read - Syrians forced to eat grass; aid worker says deprivation worst he’s ever seen

1. @realmandydee

would you care if I spread this on twitter?

February 14, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  2. Thinking things through

I feel bad for the poor civilians caught up in this hell on earth. At this point, there are no simplistic solutions for them, nor simple answers as to where to lay the blame.

February 14, 2014 at 5:40 am | Reply
    • Carlos ..

I was in Aleppo and feel a special connection to the Syrians .. I have never been treated better than my time there .. I remember I man with his family taking my arm as we walked up the dusty ramp to the Citadel one sunny day .. I was alone .. he motioned to me with his wallet to say that he was paying my entrance fee .. children would shout greetings to me from the street corner a block away ..

I have been complaining for 1184 days to President Obama that he was appearing a weakling in allowing this mass murder by a Nazi style dictatorship .. it is disgraceful and disgusting to see the only man in the world who can remove such a dictator behave with cowardice .. that is the way I see it .. perhaps there are things the president is not telling the public .. some threats to Isreal for instance from the poison gas .. but nevertheless .. I am ashamed .. ditto for Bill Clinton .. he would not act to stop the mass murderers who carried machetes .. and killled 800,000

February 14, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Reply
      • Nasrat Hijazi

What you said about the Syrian People is true. However the PROBLEM are Terrorists demanding the government which is the ONLY government in the Middle east (including Israel) that does not rely on RELIGION. The later being the source of all evl in the world. A government based on Religious ideology is by definition a racist entity unfit to govern a modern society where the Natural Rights include the right to frredom of thougt (religion) and expression. These naural rights ca NEVER happen in a sectarian government.

February 14, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Reply
  3. Nasrat Hijazi

This is normal and expected from Islamic Militants and their financial backers. Moslem Militant equals Terrorist equals savage people that belong in Prison or a Grave. It is a shame that "Western Democracies" are supporting such groups that do not believe in democracy or co-exitance with any other groups. I was born into a Moslem Family and feel this way. Imagine others. The sooner the Syrian Government sends these terrorists to their ficticous paradise the better all of the Middle East would be.

February 13, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Reply
  4. alex

it's all the jews fault!!!!

February 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Reply
    • chefbrucwest

This one you can't blame on jews. Its Muslim sect against muslim sect.

February 13, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Reply
      • VladT

I think (and hope) that Alex is joking, based on all the political forums that have anything to do with the middle east

February 14, 2014 at 3:09 am | Reply
  5. Wendell

Syria has become a dumping ground for the Islamic cult of death. It's showing the world the true colors of their religion and their world aspirations for the caliphate and sharia law. With each death in Syria there is one less muslim to worry about. The US is brilliantly playing them for the fools they are by fostering the killing grounds in Syria to slowly cleanse the world of the greatest virus to attack humans since the beginning of time, Islam. God is great!

February 13, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  6. Abraham

I hope they dont end up in Europe

February 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Reply
  7. Abraham

Egypt, syria, afghanistan. pakistan, libya, tunesia, yeman, Bangladesh...wherever they are, deprivation follows

February 13, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  8. KMartinGardner

This is Russia doing this. Syria is their version of Iraq, except they are not as smooth and tactful at cannibalizing a nation and a people as we were. This has all the marking of Putin, the way he vaporized 400,000 Chechnyans in less than a year. And the side benefit is the arms they sell to all the savages who think they are fighting for something. It is a pit of evil.

February 13, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Reply
    • Nasrat Hijazi

DEAD WRONG! Two gas pipelines: 1) Iran-Iraq-Syria-Europe 2) Qatar-Saudi Arabia-Jordan-Israel-Europe. Number 2 Pipeline is not competitive with Number 1 Pipeline. So good bye Market Economy and Capitalism, Hello Military Option. So the point is a few billionaires want to make more billions to spend on prostitutes and casinos in Europe & USA.

February 14, 2014 at 10:06 am | Reply
  9. Mahatma

END WAR NOW.

There is no excuse for this.

February 13, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Reply
  10. sjdsh

This always happens when US & friends decides to target yet another sovereign nation.

February 13, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Reply
    • bill o'rights

EXACTLY.

February 13, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Reply
    • nehmo

I'd like to comment, but, really, I don't know what's going on over there. (I'm in the US.) I will say one thing, though. I do not support my own government supporting the rebels, who are basically religious juvenile delinquents with weapons.

February 13, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Reply
    • Carlos ..

Syria was a dictorship ruled for 40 years without real elections .. it is not a sovereign nation .. I have been there .. have you ?

February 13, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Reply
    • karl

So true . But look what's happening to their countries ,floods,ice storms, Allah is paying them back and they can't do nothing to stop it

February 13, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  11. T Howard

This well may have been resolved by now if Obama, Hillary, and Mr. Kerry would quit funneling arms and stirring the pot. Syria is backed by Russia if no one had noticed, and the United States meddling is only COSTING lives.

February 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Reply
    • bill o'rights

Totally agree.

February 13, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Reply
    • nehmo

Basically, we (the US) have been funding and supplying Al Qaeda and the like since the mid '70s. The 9-11 attack forced our government to pretend to be opposed to to them for a while. But now, in Syria, we're (and I mean my government – not the American people) simply back to the old game plan.

February 14, 2014 at 2:40 am | Reply