Coffee klatsch
February 10th, 2014

Pssst! Got a sec to chat? We are utterly thrilled when readers want to hang out and talk – whether it's amongst themselves or in response to pieces we've posted. We want Eatocracy to be a cozy, spirited online home for those who find their way here.

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic. You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Happy Valentines Day. You're invited to the pants party.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFSWsKiWNBc&w=640&h=390]

February 14, 2014 at 10:39 am |
  2. Mary Shannon

Ok, another storm done and gone. The skies are blue now, the sun is shining, but the damage is done. About 18 inches of snow total here, now windy and all over the place. We're also forecast for another few inches tomorrow, will this ever end? It is nice to see the sun for a change, though, its been a while.

Anyone have good weekend plans? Three day weekend here.

February 14, 2014 at 9:23 am |
    • RC

Make sure you get out in the sun and soak up that vitamin D. Haven't seen the sun here in so long I've forgotten what color it is.

February 14, 2014 at 10:18 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

3 day weekend? W T F is that? I hate federal holidays that land on Monday. I get paid a day late.

February 14, 2014 at 10:37 am |
  3. RichardHead

TGIF--and Good Morning Kidz….With sadness I announce that actor Ralph Waite passed away yesterday. He starred in the long running hit " The Walton's " and also played Jackson Gibbs–Leroy Jethro Gibbs Father on NCIS. A thoughtful and caring Man,yet he faced demons in real life like we all do. Goodnight Pa-and RIP.
    Semper FI Marine.
    Filled my tummy with The Best Mexican food that I grew up on in the Dallas area yesterday--El Fenix. Oh Yea…..Beef Enchilada Plate with rice and beans. I almost started licking the empty plate and realized that was WD's job-she loved that food also. So I got an E-mail from JBJ yesterday with a picture of an Mai Tai including the little umbrella,taken from the plane. So UNFAIR,BFF. Must have been the first of many-she is relaxing around the pool now and enjoying some Coor's Lites. Well,it's gonna hit 70 degrees here today….So bundle up and stay Warm,Everyone. Have a Great Weekend .

February 14, 2014 at 4:48 am |
    • RichardHead

Dang,Almost forgot-Happy Valentines Day to ALL The Lovely Ladies of The Klatsch.

February 14, 2014 at 4:50 am |
      • Mary Shannon

Thank you, kind sir, happy to you as well.

February 14, 2014 at 8:53 am |
      • JBJingles@RH

Thanks BFF, I'm not celebrating the holiday this year, but many at the resort will be, so hopefully I'll find a nice cabana to hang out in today poolside, then some Kailua pork sliders and Maui onion rings later...Mai tai's a given, but will probably make my own, have a killer recipe from the JW Marriott in Ko Olina and I'm spoiled, but I think you knew that! ;)

It's Aloha Friday and they have fireworks tonight and I can see the luau show from my balcony, I'm all set. Have a great day everyone.

February 14, 2014 at 10:45 am |
  4. Mary Shannon

The snow parking lot rodeo took its first casualty this afternoon, an idiot stopped in the street right next to where a plow was working, and stayed there. Plow backed up and hit the car with the salt spreader. Mirror off car and nice dent in the side. Amazing.

February 13, 2014 at 5:04 pm |
  5. RichardHead

Good Morning Kidz from a Balmy 60 degree DFW area. I'm tired of snow and ice. @ JBJ my BFF-Have fun in the sun…..Just imagine–Coconut covered Ta-Ta's and Hula skirts. WhooooooHooo.

February 13, 2014 at 10:25 am |
  6. Truth™

Good morning all. Any tales from the snowstorm?

February 13, 2014 at 8:54 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

I'm fairly certain I shall never see the grass again, if that counts.

February 13, 2014 at 8:55 am |
      • Emily Rose

Are you really snowed in at a motel? Just saw your post. Loved the ideas. AND as always love that Eatocracy shares food holidays!

We will see grass!

February 13, 2014 at 9:21 am |
      • Emily Rose

Kat–
        Would love to pitch Eatocracy for our food and beverage clients at diaz*schloss communications. Could you share your email address to mine and that of the other "Emily" who I've seen writing the wonderful Food Holiday posts! thanks!
        enjoy the snow!

February 13, 2014 at 9:55 am |
      • mgcady

I think I see some grass when the small Army base behind my house comes around the block with their little snow cat plow and digs up some of the yard...

February 13, 2014 at 12:26 pm |
    • Mary Shannon

The snow is here, arrived sometime during the night and is expected to continue until tomorrow morning. So far only a couple of inches, but there are bands on the way that are going to dump 2-3 inches per hour. This is a day when I didn't want to get out of my cozy warm bed.

February 13, 2014 at 8:57 am |
    • mgcady

I'm still seeing the Alton Brown Live! show tonight in the next city over from me. I called and confirmed with the theater... the show goes on. They just recommend caution and extra time for travel.

(It's also part one of Valentine's Day goodness, a day early.)

February 13, 2014 at 12:25 pm |
  7. Breaking News®

Comcast says it has agreed to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion in a deal that would combine the two biggest cable companies in the United States. If the deal is approved, the combined group would be the nation's dominant provider of TV and Internet services.

The two companies expect the merger to take effect by the end of the year, but regulators are likely to take a close look at the potential impact on consumers.

Oh ... spiffy.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled Eatocracy.

February 13, 2014 at 7:28 am |
  8. Turth™ with a thought for the day...

This came across my desk this morning, and I really liked it...

"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows."

Michael Landon
    1936-1991, Actor

February 12, 2014 at 9:18 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Highway To Heaven was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

February 12, 2014 at 9:58 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Think I'll go online tonight and watch some episodes, actually. =)

February 12, 2014 at 9:59 am |
      • mgcady

I sort of remember the show... and IIRC he was a really decent person (and a great actor).

February 12, 2014 at 12:50 pm |
    • JBJingles@Turth

My new resolution actually! :) Hiya everyone, been really busy here, and dealing with some not so good personal/family issues. However, I did make some awesome sour cream, chicken, and hatch chile enchiladas with green/verde sauce last night, so good.

And since it is 84-85 degrees in So Cal, a little warmer than I like, I'm heading solo to Waikiki tomorrow to cool off to around 78 degrees for a few days of "me time". Aloha (and sorry Jdizz)!

February 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm |
      • mgcady

Oh gods... you awful tease....

snow, cold, snow, more snow, warm up for sleet and ice, then more cold.

February 13, 2014 at 12:41 pm |
  9. Mary Shannon

Another day, another snow storm....this is getting really old. Like most of the East Coast residents, I'm waiting for whatever that b****h Mother Nature throws at us starting tonight through Friday morning. Last night, my area was in the 12-15 range, I haven't been brave enough to check it this morning.

Stay safe, everyone!

February 12, 2014 at 9:04 am |
    • mgcady

I'm in a 8-12" possible band. *sigh*

Here's to more crockpot meals!

February 12, 2014 at 12:56 pm |
  10. Jerv-I bet SirB likes this!

February 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm |
  11. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Shirley Temple died

February 11, 2014 at 10:48 am |
    • Truth™

She was a product of an era when a child star did not automatically become a pathetic mess. Rest in peace m'am...

February 11, 2014 at 10:57 am |
    • RC

She actually had a legitimate career in business and politics after Hollywood. Did some good things it seems.

February 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Animal crackers in my soup
      monkies and rabbits loop the loop,
      Gosh, oh gee, but I have fun,
      swallowin' animals one by one.
      In every bowl of soup I see,
      lions and tigers watching me,
      I mae 'em jump right thru a hoop,
      those animal crackers in my soup

February 12, 2014 at 10:09 am |
      • RC@Jdizz

Thanks for that. Made me smile:)

February 12, 2014 at 10:26 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫ @ RC

Anytime I hear her name that song pops in my head.

February 12, 2014 at 11:17 am |
  12. Truth™

Good morning all. Looks like Denver is finally climbing out of the icebox. High forties today and fifties the rest of the week. High time (no pun)

How's everyone doing today?

February 11, 2014 at 8:30 am |
    • Mary Shannon

-3 here this morning and a mystery storm on the way for Wed/Thurs. What fun.

February 11, 2014 at 8:44 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

-22 this morning. projected +34 on thursday.

February 11, 2014 at 10:31 am |
  13. RichardHead

Sniff,Sniff ??? It must be TootsDay--EWWWWWW !! Wake up you Slackers–times a wastin'. It is now 0 degrees in St. Louis,MO–( with a nod to JBJ since she was hatched in this State ) and it's COLD. 38 more days till Spring–Hopefully. Make it a Great Day Everyone .

February 11, 2014 at 5:36 am |
  14. RC

Off topic, but it appears you have to have a WordPress account to play on the Belief Blog now. Takes all the fun out of THAT.

February 10, 2014 at 7:52 pm |
    • AleeD® @ RC & Rish

Not completely off. Jdizz just prayed to the mighty Jesus about the weather.

Good morning all. I wore cologne especially for today. To combat "tootsday" and to ward off that lingering bovine odor from visiting the State Fair this past weekend. Good times.

February 11, 2014 at 6:36 am |
      • AleeD®

Hmm. I seem to be slurring my typing ...

February 11, 2014 at 6:36 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Jesus is too busy manning his Food Truck to care about the weather. Best tacos in Texas!

February 11, 2014 at 10:32 am |
  15. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Jesus. -20 tonight again. This is so ****ing old.

February 10, 2014 at 5:54 pm |
  16. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Another person that tells us, unsolicited, their sexual preferences.

February 10, 2014 at 11:16 am |
    • mgcady

Yes, it's unsolicited, but it's a *HUGE* risk that he's taken. And I do admire that.

February 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm |
    • MicheleG™

I well understand that it's the thing to do these days but I don't really care to know that much about most people. I mean, I don't go around and announce that I'm heteros3xual. Be what you must be but not every thing needs to be public. I know, (sigh...). I will be slammed for this comment. How I hate "political" issues.

February 10, 2014 at 1:34 pm |
      • MicheleG™

Post script: I simply think these announcements are either (or both) cheap publicity and/or overkill.

February 10, 2014 at 1:42 pm |
      • Mary Shannon

I absolutely agree with you!! I don't care who you sleep with, and its not relevant to any interaction that I may have with you as a fan or consumer....don't need to know. To each his own and keep it that way.

February 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm |
        • MicheleG™

Thank you to BOTH of you! Cheers!

February 10, 2014 at 2:28 pm |
        • MicheleG™

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

February 10, 2014 at 2:29 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

this

February 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm |
      • AleeD®

Under normal circ umstances, I agree. In the dungeon, we sometimes have to draw out our clients. That's why the dom goddess created safe words.

February 10, 2014 at 2:10 pm |
      • mgcady

I think part of why I'm ok with this sort of thing is because football players (and other celebrities) are role models for children, teens, and adults (whether we like it or not). And LGBT children, teens, and adults need their role models to either accept them for who they are or be like them. American football in particular is known for homophobic sentiment, so to come out puts it right there, is quite brave.

February 11, 2014 at 1:03 pm |
        • MicheleG™

Good point. My objection, I guess, is based on the way too much publicity it gets. All the "average" people out there "reporting" the news tend to dwell on s3xuall stuff way more than most other subjects.

When I see these kinds of overblown "reports" repeated endlessly as if each reporter were the ONLY ONE reporting said "news" I wonder what's NOT being legitimately reported from elsewhere on the planet.

Electronic news reports have only so many seconds of air time so when one thing is being "reported" something else, which may be far more significant and serious, s NOT being reported.

February 11, 2014 at 2:01 pm |
        • mgcady

That I can understand. Not enough time to have it all. :(

February 11, 2014 at 2:05 pm |
        • AleeD®@MicG™

You said "overblown" in the same context as secks. Heh-heh.

Happy belated birthday!!

February 11, 2014 at 2:21 pm |
        • MicheleG™

Thanks AlleeD for the BD wishes! Conundrums R me!

February 11, 2014 at 2:26 pm |
  17. Ms. Grammar

My guess,,,either too much coffee or not enough! Have a great day, everyone!

February 10, 2014 at 10:01 am |
    • mgcady

Definitely not enough. :)

February 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm |
  18. Mary Shannon

Good Monday morning, all. I hope all football fans survived the first weekend withdrawals ok.

We're supposed to be snow-free until Thursday but cold. I meet with the surgeon today so we'll see when I'm scheduled. I did my homework and have all the questions to ask, thanks to you all for the prompting. I definitely only reference sites that are reputable like webmd and mayo clinic, for example.

Have a good start to your week, all.

February 10, 2014 at 8:51 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

The Olympics fills the void (and the return of The Walking Dead on AMC). Now when the Olympics are over is when things will get really depressing as it does with all of them for me, as well as the World Cup. You spend 4 weeks watching the athletes, following the stories, listening to the same journalists. You almost feel like you're part of the group and when it all ends it gets sad.

February 10, 2014 at 10:49 am |
    • RC

Drag racing started yesterday-yay! Nascar later this month, then F1 in march.

February 10, 2014 at 10:56 am |
  19. Photo Captain®

Hey look. It's Roger Daltrey.

February 10, 2014 at 7:00 am |