Farm bill may snip $90 a month from food stamps
January 27th, 2014

A group of bipartisan lawmakers on Monday agreed to a deal on a farm bill that would end direct subsidies to farms in favor of crop insurance.

The deal could trim as much as $90 a month from food stamps for 850,000 recipients.

The farm bill would last five years and needs to pass both chambers and then be signed by the president.
The bill could be passed before the spring planting season. That's significant because farmers need to know early how it might affect prices and what to expect for their corn, wheat or tobacco yields.

The bill changes the current agricultural subsidy system. It ends direct payments to farmers for planting crops and replaces it with a revamped, beefed-up crop insurance program.

"Today's bipartisan agreement puts us on the verge of enacting a five-year Farm Bill that saves taxpayers billions, eliminates unnecessary subsidies, creates a more effective farm safety-net and helps farmers and businesses create jobs," said Sen. Debbie Stabenow, a Michigan Democrat who chairs the Senate agriculture panel.

The changes to food stamps would trim $8 billion from the program over the next 10 years, according to congressional aides. That's less than the $39 billion that Republicans had wanted to cut from the program, but double what Democrats had suggested.

Read - Farm bill ends subsidies, cuts food stamps

Previously:
How do you stretch your food dollars?
How to feed your family from a food bank
Opinion: SNAP isn't about a 'free lunch'
The food stamp challenge results: eating on $30 a week
Could you live on $30 a week?
Our family will lose $44 in food stamps
5 Shocking statistics about hunger
Witnesses to Hunger: A portrait of food insecurity in America
Childhood malnutrition has long lasting effects
"A time of record need" for food insecure
Lawmakers eat on a food stamp budget
Food stamp cuts a cruel proposal

Posted by:
Filed under: Farm Bill • Food Politics • Human Rights • Hunger • SNAP

1. Mark

Speaking about the food stamp debate, its not the people on snap that are to blame.
    I found this really good forum that shows people methods that boost and leverage your food stamp money.

They also give away free my coke rewards codes in addition to discussing food stamps and snap methods that work. The site proved useful for me.

March 17, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Reply
  2. theycallmemrchase

I am 66 years old, permanently disabled and steadily worked until I became disabled. I 'live' on just over $700 a month. Out of that I pay today's exorbitant rent which takes the bulk of my social security. Granted, I get food stamps but I don't get $30 a week for food. $23 a week is my banquet. Yet, I will still be affected by any cuts that come down the pike. There is no differentiation in who is cut, it's across the board. I've been cut already from $104 a month to my current $92, and I secretly feed my two pets out of that as well- and I have no intention in giving them up, they're all the companionship I have and their loyal friendship keeps me alive. I received a 1.2% "raise" in my social security this year, and a like amount was automatically deducted from my food stamps, so in actuality I received nothing. I've worked most of my life, did my military service and fought your war. I am grateful for the little I do receive, but I feel as an American who has done my part, things shouldn't be as awful for me as they are. I awake every day with the constant fear things will only get worse, until I am driven to the street or some 'fine' institution. To be honest, I'm not looking forward to that prospect. When I read or hear that I am "taking" welfare and don't deserve the little I get, it saddens me, but more, it makes me very angry.

February 1, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Reply
    • Brian

Perhaps you can get a roommate or two and your $700 would more easily cover your food bills and other things.

February 5, 2014 at 8:42 am | Reply
  3. Jim

This saddens me so much. We cut food stsmps, yet continue funding businesses like Michelle Bachman;s. It's so unchristian

January 29, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Reply
  4. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Ammo for slingshots is free and silent. A few nights of roaming the neighborhood for loose pets, viola! Full freezer!

January 28, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Reply
  5. claireemulholland

Reblogged this on Agronome Chronicles and commented:
    What an interesting development in our food world – what can we do to stem the flow?

January 28, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  6. The man

no jobs no employment no welfare why don't we just lay down and Die

January 28, 2014 at 4:06 am | Reply
  7. Name*Tan Sanh

If welfare recipients are able to buy the latest I-phones with data plans of $50-100 monthly billz, cutting $90 monthly on foodstamps benefits is nothing. Let them po folks text & chat during their famine binge !!!! If y'all wanna have issues with my opinion, the reply

January 28, 2014 at 2:26 am | Reply
  8. Name*mad as hell.single father

Who ever came up with.this plan need a ass kicking.

January 28, 2014 at 2:02 am | Reply
  9. James Malenfant

These are rich white people taking from the poor and giving it to the rich. We spend more helping the people of Afghanistan, that we do our own. Vote the Tpublicans out! Have a great day!

January 28, 2014 at 1:23 am | Reply
  10. Tim

"crop insurance"? The Red States surely love socialism when they are the ones at the receiving end!

January 28, 2014 at 1:20 am | Reply
  11. David Selzer

This is outrageous. The argument I have heard by those favoring this measure is that poor people will be more motivated to get a good paying job if they don't have enough money to pay for basics. It's their version of a Jobs Program. What they don't say is that it will also drive down wages and increase the profitability of the large businesses that want to pay lower salaries.

January 28, 2014 at 1:16 am | Reply
  12. average joe

treating americans like dirt spells doon for the government!

January 28, 2014 at 1:10 am | Reply
  13. Name*sm frederickson

I can not believe the gaul of the US representatives. By all means cut aid to the poorest people. They have no problem continuing subsidies to oil companies or sending billions of dollars a day overseas to the tyrants who run countries that would prefer to blow us up. What the hell is wrong with this nation? Our representatives are owned by the highest bidders, they allowed corporations to be equal to a person, and none of them give a damn about what is best for ALL Americans. I never thought I would say it but I am often ashamed of what this nation has become.

January 28, 2014 at 12:42 am | Reply
  14. Name*sm frederickson

I can not believe the gaul of the US representatives. By all means cut aid to the poorest people. They have no problem continuing subsidies to oil companies or sending billions of dollars a day overseas to the tyrants who run countries that would prefer to blow is up. What the hell is wrong with this nation? Our representatives are owned by the highest bidders, they allowed corporations to be equal to a person, and none of them give a damn about what is best for ALL Americans. I never thought I would say it but I am often ashamed of what this nation has become.

January 28, 2014 at 12:40 am | Reply
  15. Zee Flynn

That's it! Screw over the poor working class but be sure not one cent less in the billions of welfare to corporate farms, often to NOT grow something. That's the American Way! After all, whose going to pick up the tab for Bohner's million dollar a year country club membership fee (not including green fees nor his enormous tab at the bar)? It won't be granny he's kicked to the curb will it? No. It's that ridiculously wealthy Plutocrat with an even bigger blood lust greed for more. Guess who gets all the loot in this deal. You get two chances...I'll give you a hint, it's not granny....

January 28, 2014 at 12:28 am | Reply
  16. Name*JOYE MILLER

I LIKE TO SEE THE LAW MAKER LIVE ON $30. A WEEK.BECAUS THE FOOD IS SO HIGH.

January 28, 2014 at 12:14 am | Reply