November 8th, 2013

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

Recently, news broke that made-in-China dog jerky treats had killed about 600 pets (mostly dogs, along with almost a dozen cats) and made thousands more ill. Poor guys. The FDA’s veterinary medicine chief, Dr. Bernadette Dunham, called it “One of the most elusive and mysterious outbreaks we’ve encountered.”

I hate that headline. I love my two cats, Lily Gorilla and Coco, who, I’m afraid, are pretty spoiled. (They occasionally score leftovers from the Food & Wine Test Kitchen and from restaurants around New York City.) Still, there are some lengths I’m not ready to go to, like paying $1,000 for treats.

Here are some of the more extravagant things people are doing for their pets. And before my cats start feeling left out, I’ll note that they’re all geared toward dogs.

See 12 of the world's dog-friendliest hotels

$1,000 Kobe Beef Treats
If you’re determined to feed your dog top-shelf ingredients, Organic Pet Boutique offers Kobe Beef and Truffle Jerky Treats for dogs. It’s made-to-order. And costs $1,000. The upside: Shipping is free. And a percentage goes to the no–kill shelter Best Friends Animal Society.

Make-Your-Own Dog Treats
"Dog-Gone Good Cuisine" by Gayle Pruitt (a nutritionist and chef), has more than 100 recipes, most of which can be served to both dogs and people, like Dirty Dog Rice, or Curried Beef Sliders on Gluten-Free Buns. If you’re into making special breakfasts for your pet, check out the recipe for Chia and Flaxseed Pancakes.

There’s also a smaller Canine-Only section that features raw food (i.e., raw grass-fed chuck roast with green beans and tomato sauce). The author does remind readers to “Always consult your veterinarian when using new ingredients.” The book comes out in February.

Stolen Pet Food

In November 2012, robbers made away with 20,000 pounds of Pet Chef Express dog food (valued at $35,000) from Atlanta’s Intown Healthy Hound warehouse. They sneaked in through a window and removed pallets of dog food with a forklift. There were no security cameras or alarms on the property so the thieves were not caught.

Dog-Friendly Shots

“We don’t eat the same flavors every day, so why should our dogs?” asks the folks at Doggie Shotz. They’re sympathetic to pets that might need nutritional supplements but want them to taste like cheeseburgers. So this gravy-like condiment comes in dog-friendly flavors including BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Bacon Cheeseburger, Bacon N Eggs, Chicken Stir Fry, Turkey N Mash, and 3 Cheese. But it’s 90 percent fat free, and includes ingredients like fruit juice concentrate (to supply vitamins A, C and E) and carrot powder (for vitamins A, B6, B12 and C).

More from Food & Wine:
Dogs Dining Out
America’s Dog-Friendliest Cities
The Most Outrageous Nachos
America’s Best Apple Pies
Best Biscuits in the U.S.

Previously:
Wine for cats and other four-legged friends

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Food and Wine • Pets • Weird News

1. lpia126

The Newest Jordans 2014  Lakers then fired Mike after Brown, Jackson coached the Lakers took the pointer there is hope, but in the end they hired Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni to do, and after today, the Lakers defeat to Spurs, the team’s current record is 22 wins and 44 losses, which also let them become the first team missed the playoffs, the outside world also have been rumors that D’Antoni was fired into the edge, interestingly, there is news that Bryant had also select the reimbursement of the season is one of the reasons do not want to de Anthony play, the Lakers hope to hire a new coach, but the reason to resist the German commander of the reason is because Bryant did not like D’Antoni run and gun system, and more and more like the team to play the triangle offense and trench warfare.
    In a recent New Jordans 2014 interview, Bryant clearly expressed to Phil Jackson miss,You know how I feel about Phil, Bryant said, I am full of respect and admiration for him, and the relationship between he and I have. great, Bryant said he did not understand why the Lakers do not recall Phil Jackson, Jackson now officially joined the Knicks face the news, Bryant disappointed, said:I find it hard to accept such a thing, we once again missed Jackson, I really do not understand why this is.
    Recently in  women jordan shoes Los Angeles, Jackson and his agent, Todd Masserberg with Knicks management staff to finalize the contract. It is reported that Jackson obtained the contract life of 5 years, and an annual salary of about $ 12 million, but this does not include equity. In fact, the Knicks intend to invite Jackson White has been a long period of time. According to reliable news source said, for this White, Jackson discussed with the Knicks has been going on for several months. From the above situation, the Knicks clearly have very much hope that Jackson can the White team. So far this season, the Knicks poor performance, their current record of 26 wins and 40 losses.
    After the  White Knicks New Jordans 2014, Jackson first to face the problem perhaps, about the fate of Anthony problems. In the summer, Anthony has the option to become a free agent before the interview, he had expressed similar thoughts. But Anthony opinion, if time is really the case, then their first choice will still be left behind the Knicks. Secondly, in this offseason, Jackson might also consider replacing the coach’s problem. It seems that many people in the industry, the current Knicks coach Mike Woodson, after the end of the season it is difficult to stay in the team. It is reported, including Steve Cole, Brian Shaw and Kurt Kurt Rambis list are likely in Jackson under consideration. In addition to a major problem, after the White Knicks, Jackson will have to face is that the relevant salary space. For Jackson, if he wants in the next offseason to make a difference, then you need to be able to free up enough cap space to find a way so as to prepare for the Knicks to introduce reinforcements.

March 17, 2014 at 8:58 pm |
  2. john bond

I think it's so ridiculous what people do for their animals that'll die in five years. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those dog beds were more expensive then my house. I can imagine pampering your animal a little bit because they're important. I would feed my animal special food every now and then but I definitely wouldn't spend this kind of money on them.

February 3, 2014 at 6:08 pm |
  3. shawn l

The pathetic part is that these people tend to treat their dogs better than they treat the people around them.

November 13, 2013 at 9:38 am |
    • Dr. Phil

Your post alone is proof of why most sane people would prefer to spend a day with their pets then with another person.

November 13, 2013 at 9:41 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

lol

February 3, 2014 at 6:56 pm |
  4. Lexis

I cook for my family and our dog, she is a member of the family and should eat well. Better to spend some money and some time on a good food (I am not talking about $1.000 treat, may be its is good but cannot afford it) and that way save some money on veterinarian appointments. And I agree with Rich "Our pets are worth anything we can provide for them..."

November 12, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
  5. Burbank

Too bad dogs just inhale everything and don't even taste it. What a conspicuous consumption waste!

November 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  6. donna

It's sad that so many people only feed their dogs highly processed foods. FYI, people who make a sell dog food aren't necessarily the best ones to give advice on what dogs should be eating. Just because the label says that one cup a day of their food is all your dog needs, doesn't mean that's true.

Dogs evolved to eat whole, natural food just like we did. Would you want to live on nothing but processed food and multivitamins for the rest of your life?

My cat developed severe kidney stones after years her diet of name brand cat food, when I diligently followed the maker's instructions. Lots of cat foods increase dangerous oxalates- the form of kidney stones that require surgery. She now eats prescription cat food, and whatever moist meats, which are low in oxalates, that I can tempt her with.

November 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
    • Pete

You need a life. And a date !

November 10, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • Burbank

You have to carefully read cat food labels for the ash content, that's what causes the cystitis. Tuna, dry food and milk are the biggest culprits as well as fish based wet food. I am completely against giving cats and dogs dry food other than just a tiny handfull to help keep the teeth clean, no matter how much it's recommended by veterinarians. It's not rocket science, if they were intended to eat dry food all thier lives then nature would have made crunchy prey! Also, I'm pretty sure that most arthritis you see in dogs (also some cats but they don't seem to get it as badly) is caused by inflammatory gluten in the diet. Cut out anything that says wheat, barley or rye on the dog food label and watch the arthritis disappear within a matter of a week or two!

November 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • Fiona

Years ago, when this "B A R F" (bones and raw food) diet was the new thing among crazy dog owners, I asked my vet about it and got a huge eye roll in reply. He said it was the worst thing you could possibly feed your dog.

You endanger your dog's heath to make yourself feel superieor. Good job, donna.

November 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
  7. GeorgeandLokisMom

Pete, I think judgement day will be very tough for you. Go examine the mote in your own eye.

November 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
  8. GeorgeandLokisMom

Frozen green beans are my dogs favorite treat. I can stand there and feed them for hours. It's how I trained both of them.
    To the guy that wants to take all of my hard earned money–get a job. I've been poor. I've been skip meals for days poor, food stamps poor, do I buy diapers for my kid, or gas to go to work poor. Now I have 2 houses, one I live in, and one I rent out. I still work my hind end off every single day, I donate, and the amount of money I pay in taxes is more than double what I've made in salary some years working full time. So talk to me again about how I don't want to give you money? It's MY money, you loser.

November 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  9. donna

I am a big fan of giving our dog a variety of food experiences. She has a bowl of dry food a day, usually a combo of a couple types. Then she gets whole food everyday. Whatever protein we are having, veggies and a little carbs. She is not a fan of most fruit, though every once in a while she'll ask for a banana, She loves cooked veggies, and we'll do chicken thighs for her if our dinner isn't suitable.

November 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • Fiona

FYI, dogs do best eating roughly the same thing every day. Too much variety makes for digestive distress. Mixing up different kibbles is a bad idea because kibbles are designed to deliver adequate nutrients at a certain dose.

November 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
      • donna

Sorry, Fiona, but I disagree and so does our vet. My dog is extremely healthy, happy and energetic. And dogs did not evolve to eat the same thing every day any more than we did. It's certainly *easier* to feed them the same thing everyday, that doesn't mean better.

November 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
        • Fiona

I agree with the guy who said you need a date. You also need a better vet.

November 11, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  10. Pete

Oh, there will be a judgment day and for many people that will be a tough day. Just sickening.

November 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • paul

......i'm sorry for feeding their dogs fancy meals?

let me just just reiterate what you're saying. you believe jesus will come down from the heavens, wrath of god following him, and purposefully strike down and drag to hell anyone who has fed their dog "a fancy meal"?

...ya you're lost and worthless.

November 9, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
  11. StormySyndrome

I'm all for spoiling my fur babies. In fact, I'm all for giving them whatever their little hearts, and bellies, desire. With that...there is a freaking limit. $1,000 for dog food??? Excuse me?? That isn't necessarily eating better than anyone...but more waste of cash than anything. I'm sure as my pup finished his $1,000 can of dog food, he'd look right at me and say, "Pardon, do you have any Grey Poupon?" No, in fact i'm a lot more certain he'd just look at me as usual, give me a few tail wags, ask for his pettances, and fall asleep for his 5th nap of the day. In other words....if you think anomals have any clue how much you spend on their food, you'r esadly mistaken. While i refuse to feed my dogs pure dog food from a store, mostly because it's leftover garbage from the low grade garbage food they try to feed us. I feed my pets whatever i am eating that day..... they are my children the same way anyone elses children are theirs. If i don't eat $1,000 worth of dog food per day....my dogs sure as heck wont. Even if i could afford $1,000 for dog food, I'd be sure it was enough for about 4 years worth of feeding...anything more than that is pure waste and absolutely retarded.

November 9, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  12. JackKnauf

bishop accountability dot org

November 9, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  13. Oscar Pitchfork

'Kobe beef and truffle jerky treats" for dogs? if people aren't eating them, I'd be willing to bet that, for a thousand dollars a pop, that's NOT what they're made from. Stupid rich people...

November 9, 2013 at 8:20 am |
  14. Rich

Our pets are worth anything we can provide for them...

November 9, 2013 at 7:31 am |
    • Pete

I would like to provide them a few things, but you wouldn't like them.

November 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
      • Pete

Like a free flight to Korea.

November 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
  15. unowhoitsme

It's just sad that these animals are getting better treatment than some children in this country.

November 9, 2013 at 6:14 am |
    • gager

The way the animals are treated has nothing to do with how children are treated.

November 9, 2013 at 7:08 am |
      • MoMO

yes it does...money should be spent on homeless kids, before it is spent on some damn animal.

November 9, 2013 at 11:46 am |
        • Pete

Amen !!

November 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
        • donna

So you'll be selling your computer and the rest of your useless belongings to feed poor kids now, right?

November 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
      • Lexis

Agree.

November 12, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • Burbank

That's because people selfishly have kids that they can't afford to feed or support in a reasonable manner. It's child abuse, plain and simple! Even birds have enough sense to know that you need to build the nest before you lay the eggs!

November 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  16. Gatorfan

Stupid article. People are free to spend their money however they want.

Some whiny life failures, however, think the rich have more of an obligation to give their money away instead.

November 9, 2013 at 5:32 am |
    • Pete

You going to say that on Judgment Day, my friend?

November 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  17. Rambo

What a great country that pets can be fed and pampered with money to blow by rich folks. But when it comes to paying more taxes to help their fellow citizens, they say they can't pay more taxes.

November 9, 2013 at 2:57 am |
    • miscreantsall

Well said Rambo.

Ridiculous. But it's not only rich folks. I see lots of poor folk treat their animals this way, sacrificing other more important needs for their pet.

November 9, 2013 at 4:45 am |
    • Gatorfan

Just because you're a failure doesn't mean rich people need to give you their earnings.

November 9, 2013 at 5:33 am |
    • gager

How much rich people earn and how they spend it is none of your business. In addition they already have the biggest burden in taxes so you believe nonsense when you say they don't pay their fair share.

November 9, 2013 at 7:10 am |
      • derp

Yea, as documented last election Mitt Romney's burden is 13%... poor guy, if only he could get that down a few more percentage points he would be able to buy his dog $1000 dog food

November 9, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  18. abbydelabbey

I confess - I am a vegetarian but my dog eats pressure cooked chicken (skinned and de-boned), wild rice, and vegetables. She loves asparagus. Yeah, she seems to eat very well.....

November 8, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
    • gager

Leave the skin on the chicken, they need the fat.

November 9, 2013 at 7:11 am |
    • sharon

Good for you. I do the same for my Coco, and I am not rich. When I heard about the treats many months prior to this recent notification of dangers, I returned several bags of my puppy's chicken strips to Walmart and was reimbursed. Additionally, I purchased him a food dehydrator, and I prepare his dried chicken breast and steak jerky weekly. He loves it, and if it makes hime happy, it makes me happy!!!!!!

November 9, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • donna

My dog loves asparagus too! She likes a lot of veggies, but that might be the one she gets most excited about.

November 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
      • Burbank

Wouldn't want to have to be stuck having the house smelled up with the gas she probably "emits" afterwards from eating it. A trip outside to eat some grass would do the same job and smell better.

November 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
  19. DANIELLE

THE SAD THING IS THE DOG OWNER DON'T TAKE CARE THEMSELF

November 8, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Gatorfan

Ignorant comment based on absolutely no knowledge whatsoever.

November 9, 2013 at 5:33 am |
      • RichardHead

But,she did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

November 9, 2013 at 8:32 am |