89 reported sickened by Chobani yogurt
September 10th, 2013

The United States Food and Drug Administration reported Tuesday that it has received at least 89 reports of people getting sick after consuming Chobani Greek yogurt that may have been contaminated by mold.

The reports have not been confirmed and do not represent any conclusion by the FDA about whether the product actually caused the illnesses. Chobani voluntarily removed the product from store shelves after receiving consumer complaints about swollen or bloated yogurt containers.

The New Berlin, New York-based company released a statement last week on its blog saying in part:

"Our thorough investigation has identified a type of mold commonly found in the dairy environment. The product in question is less than 5% of our production and is limited to products produced at our Idaho facility, which accounts for only one third of our production capacity."

The company initially worked with retail partners to voluntarily withdraw the majority of potentially affected products, which bear the code "16-012" and have expiration dates between September 11 and October 7 of this year. A voluntary recall is now in effect and specific packaging information can be found on FDA.gov.

Consumers who have purchased the affected yogurt are advised to contact Chobani's Customer Loyalty Team directly at chobani.com/care or call 877-847-6181 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET to coordinate replacements.

Strained, Greek-style yogurt has increased wildly in popularity in the United States over the past several years. Recently the U.S. Department of Agriculture kicked off its National Greek Yogurt Pilot Program, offering it as part of school meal programs. The creamy treat offers higher nutritional benefits than traditional yogurt with less sugar, carbohydrates, sodium and lactose, as well as an increase in protein per ounce. Chobani products included in the program are produced in the company's New York State facility.

The ballooning demand for the dairy option has created a $2 billion industry, and raised some controversy about the potential effects on the environment from a byproduct of yogurt production.

Previously:
Chobani recalls 'swelling,' 'bloating' yogurt
USDA launches Greek yogurt program in national schools
Whey-ing Greek yogurt's environmental impact

Posted by:
Filed under: Food Safety • Health News • Recalls • Tainted Food

1. cazadora belstaff corte ingles

cazadoras cuero piloto aviacion belstaff comprar http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=25 chaqueta cuero moto mujer carhartt outlet stores http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=125 cazadoras hombre belstaff piel http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=75 chaquetas belstaff outlet cazadora piel harley http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=175 cazadoras de cuero online belstaff malaga http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=50 chaqueta de motos cazadora cuero roja http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=150 chaleco interior belstaff belstaff streetmaster http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=100 chaquetas de cuero a medida cazadora vaquera zara http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=200
    cazadora belstaff corte ingles http://stf.thesaigontimes.vn/belstaff/?chaquetasbelstaff=135

October 11, 2014 at 7:46 am |
  2. roger roger

i'm sickened by greek yogurt every time i come in contact with it. gross.

October 7, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
  3. Gluten

Mold, salmonella, green onions, and bird flu, you ain't got nothin' on me! I have so many hiding in corners already...

September 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • Green Onions©

Don't mess with me. I've killed people. Try the hummus.

September 13, 2013 at 11:00 am |
      • Frightened Consumer

You both make me sick.

September 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  4. Salmonella Canteloupe

Guess which fresh fruit or veggie will be contaminated today? Yes, it's time to play America's fastest-growing game, BOTULISM ROULETTE! From salmonella in the green onions to giardiasis in the water, you're surrounded by playful micro-organisms that only want to get close to you. Who will be our lucky winner today? You? You? or lucky YOU?

September 12, 2013 at 10:27 am |
  5. Captain Graybeard

When they made Chobani yogurt, the Mold was broken.

September 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  6. Nophah Kingweigh

I always have green onions with my religion. Helps me p00.

September 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • Green Onions©

Then you should DEFINITELY try the hummus.

September 11, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  7. Chobani

"Only Natural Ingredients" At least that claim is still true with the mold in it.

Batter up!

September 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
  8. Yoplait

Come to the darkside!

September 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
  9. MandiFran

I make my own yogurt! Sometimes I strain it and I get that whey. You know what I do??? I take that whey and make pickles.

September 11, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • Salmonella Pickles

And when you least expect it, we will strike. You humans are doomed, doomed I tell you.

September 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
      • Green Onions©

Remind them to try the hummus.

September 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Miley Cypress

Sometimes when I strain, I get "that way" too. giggle blush tee hee

September 11, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  10. minerva

I used to make my own yogurt. Then I began buying plain yogurt. I tried the greek style and found that the only brand I liked was Chabani. Since it is so expensive I only bought it occasionally. Now with this contamination problem, our local stores are selling their Chabani stock for very low prices. These aren't the swollen or moldy containers. I bought one and the appearance was just fine as was the taste. So I went back and bought a whole bunch. All were fine.

Now I have a good supply in my 'frig. I don't live in the area where the contaminated cartons were found. I have so far eaten about five of the ones I purchased and am fine. I have gotten food poisoning from eating in a restaurant so I know that is no picnic. But I also know that contamination happens and just because it's in one area doesn't mean it's everywhere. Since the Chibani containers selling in my area didn't have the signs the public was told to look for I figured the batches made here were okay. So far so good.

On the whole though, I will stick to regular yogurt. While greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt, it also has less calcium. I use other sources for protein. I use yogurt for calcium. Greek yogurt is more for a treat than anything else.

September 11, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
  11. Jenna

If the world wasn't overpopulated with 38 zillion people, it wouldn't matter if someone had a little Greek yogurt byproduct. But with 39 zillion people (up to 39 because they are breeding as we speak) then we have a problem. Just use birth control. Keep those tadpoles in check. Not every egg needs to become a chicken. You don't need to propagate yourself over and over.

September 11, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • Green Onions©

Honey, the number of people in the world doesn't have any bearing at all on whether or not the yogurt you are was contaminated. Don't forget to try the hummus.

September 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
  12. ArchieDeBunker

"89 Sickened by Yogurt" Make that 90 – I can't stand the stuff.

September 11, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Ayatollah ben Dover

Clabbered Goat Milk with Blueberries, what could go wrong? Yeah, I can't eat it either. Nasty stuff.

September 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
    • RC

Bacteria pudding.

September 12, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  13. Bird Flu

Hey guys remember me?

September 11, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • Green Onions©

Small-timer. Get lost, me and Religion are talkin' here.

September 11, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  14. Religion

You guys are amateurs. I kill more people everyday than all of you combined!

September 11, 2013 at 11:24 am |
    • Green Onions©

Maybe, but I will catch up to you one day. There will come a day when Mankind lives in peace and no man's hand is turned against his fellow, and on that day I will give you all Montezuma's Revenge of Doom.

September 11, 2013 at 11:35 am |
  15. Joel

"The mold that contaminated cups of Chobani yogurt is a species called Mucor circinelloides, the company said last week. The organism is used for the production of natural flavor compounds, and the mold should not pose a health risk to most consumers, according to a food safety expert who is advising the company."

Yeah, maybe the "expert" should try eating the product himself and see if he sticks with his so-called conclusion. It's obvious it IS causing a health risk. Maybe they should not use risky organisms to fake flavor compunds. Just like they do with artificial colors and other ridiculous additives. The key here is to go with a product that is not (genetically?) modified. And more importantly, maybe we should focus on finding ways to better build our immune systems to protect against these "oopses" that keep occuring left and right. If we can't control mold, e-coli, etc, then we need to help our bodies fight this junk better

September 11, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • Gerontion

Ridiculous. So much wrong I don't know where to start. Yogurt's spoiled milk, for a start. Like cheese, it has stuff added to it to make it clabber up into solids. Without small amounts of that mold, I guess it stays spoiled milk instead of turning into yogurt. And I guess you just tossed in "genetically modified" for style, right? How do you suggest we change our immune systems to resist e. coli, by the way? Controlled mutation? Genetic modification? Cyborg intestines?

September 11, 2013 at 11:30 am |
  16. Salmonella Canteloupe

We fruits and vegetables have decided to wipe you humans out and keep the Earth for ourselves. Try the hummus.

September 11, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • Frightened Consumer

I wouldn't put that hummus on my begonias.

September 11, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
      • Scarlet Begonias

Thank you very much.

September 11, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
  17. Markella

FAGE is the only Greek yogurt, this is just Greek wanna be, they can call it Greek Style yogurt but not Greek yogurt. I hate when all the companies name their shitty yogurts Greek

September 11, 2013 at 10:40 am |
    • Salmonella Canteloupe

Do you hate it when something claims to be "Gangnam Style" but it's not? Try the hummus.

September 11, 2013 at 11:02 am |
      • Frightened Consumer

I am NOT trying the hummus.

September 11, 2013 at 11:37 am |
        • The Hummus

I do it Gangnam Style.

September 11, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
  18. Din

I read about Chobani first time today, I will get it next time when I go to store.

September 11, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • Chobani Yogurt Mold

I'll be seeing you.

September 11, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  19. Susan Dalton

Ironically, I just said to my team at work everytime I eat the yogurt I get a stomach ache and I saw an article about Mold growing in Chobani. Which I've been eating just about daily for 1 year. I threw the rest out yesterday just in case. But geesh, I hope I don't get gut rot now.

September 11, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • Dex

Nah, you probably just hardened your immune system against everything under the sun!

September 11, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • Salmonella Canteloupe

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, fortunate human, but we will get you yet. Try the hummus.

September 11, 2013 at 11:03 am |
    • RMB

Your year long stomach aches have nothing to do with the recall. Greek yogurt has a ton of dairy protein, about 25% your DV, and dropping a lump of protein in your stomach is going to make it feel weird.

September 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • The Hummus

"everytime I eat the yogurt I get a stomach ache" Lactose intolerant? Possible.

September 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  20. kate

A Turkish manufacturer producing- strained yogurt in the US of A does NOT constitute Greek yogurt. Stick to FAGE.

September 11, 2013 at 10:37 am |
  21. bobo

It,s not the fault of trucking.no one said the reefer ran out of fuel yogurt is dated short shelve life

September 11, 2013 at 10:35 am |
  22. Jaime Curtis' Parrot

ACTIVIA !!!!!!

September 11, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  23. Lore

I have always enjoyed this yogurt until last year. I found mold on the top of one container and took it back to my Iowa grocery store. Thought it was an isolated incident or the stores refrigeration maybe. So I tried this brand again a month or so later and found more mold. I took this back to my store for credit also. Then I emailed Chobani to let them know what's up and they did apologize and gave me coupons for their product. So really this has been a problem for quite some time. I did enjoy the product but with other choices out there, I probably won't buy this brand again. So this really was not a problem that was just happening recently. It has been going on for awhile.

September 11, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  24. HogwartsExp

I love Greek Yogart.

September 11, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  25. Frightened Consumer

It might be Yo Gurt, but it ain't My Gurt.

September 11, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • HogwartsExp

Oh my

September 11, 2013 at 10:03 am |
  26. Salmonella Cantrloupe

We will get you all one day.

September 11, 2013 at 9:33 am |
    • Green Onions©

I have killed more people than you have.

September 11, 2013 at 9:34 am |
      • Frightened Consumer

You both make me sick.

September 11, 2013 at 9:36 am |
        • Nutrigrain Bar

The last laugh is mine.

September 11, 2013 at 10:12 am |
        • Mad Cow

Not if I get you first..

September 11, 2013 at 10:13 am |
        • Peanut Butter

Hey, have you tried the Condoleezza Rice at Chi-Chi's?

September 11, 2013 at 10:30 am |
    • HogwartsExp

I guess, these things happens, but it's still the best yogart.

September 11, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  27. Mike F.

I just threw all of mine out!! I think I had 5 or 6 containers. So I won't buy Chobani any more! Simple solution !!
    There are others that have a better track record for their quality control!! Sorry Chobani !! it was a good run while it lasted.

September 11, 2013 at 9:32 am |
  28. palintwit

Tea party patriots enjoy swallowing throat yogurt.

September 11, 2013 at 9:31 am |
    • Sarah Palin

Just stop. Even I don't remember me anymore.

September 11, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
      • Frightened Consumer

Didn't you invent the Palin Drome?

September 13, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  29. CB

I purchased it before I was aware of the recall, boy did it make me sick. I'll never purchase this product again, when I opened the other containers i had left they smelled like barf. This should have been a mandatory recall, what if someone fed this barf to a baby?

September 11, 2013 at 9:27 am |
    • You So Silly

Would you feed something that smells like barf to a baby? Most people would toss it. To each their own i guess!

September 11, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • No Mandatory Recalls

All food recalls are "voluntary" because the FDA doesn't have legal authority to force companies to recall bad food products. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Read the book "Fast Food Nation" for details.

And notice that any time you hear of a food recall, it will always says, "The company is voluntarily recalling the product", as if they are doing you a favor.

September 11, 2013 at 11:01 am |
      • Sarah Palin

This is mostly because it happens so fast; the company doesn't dare refuse because a court order will be on the way accusing them of selling dangerous food, and it will require a court appearance at that point. No one wants the FDA saying "We had to arrest them to make them stop selling it" when they could be saying "the company took immediate steps to safeguard their customers." You sell more food that way in the end. And the company makes money by providing a service, yogurt when you want it, more than it does on any individual product, so they can dump a week's worth of product and not lose as long as the customers are still there.

September 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
    • Tom

You cannot feed heavy yogurt to babies... That's why they sell special yogurt for babies and toddlers (Yo'Baby or Yo'Toddler).

Never give a baby real yogurt, it is too heavy for them to digest.

September 11, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • LN

I did! I fed it to both of my kids who both complained that it didn't taste good. They are both very whiny so I told them it was fine and to eat it (They didn't, but I refused to give them a different snack, I hate yogurt myself so I honestly can't tell the difference, I think it all tastes bad)! Both got sick shortly after. Then a day later I read about the recall and checked my lot numbers. Yup. Boy did I feel bad. To make matters worse one of my kids has autism and now refuses to eat yogurt, it was one of the very few sources of protein she would eat. This is just awful. I wrote to chobani and heard NOTHING back from them. No offer of refund, no apology NOTHING. Screw chobani, I'm never buying their product again.

September 12, 2013 at 10:49 am |
      • Green Onions©

See their website for apologies – they are very busy apologizing right now. And don't eat the hummus, really.

September 12, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  30. zaphed

imake a gallon of milk into yoghut weekly.. Chopnai trompani greek my foot. It only cost me 3 bucks.

September 11, 2013 at 9:26 am |
    • Nick

This Yogurs IS NOT GREEK YOGURT!!! It is Turkish!!! There is a difference.

September 11, 2013 at 9:31 am |
      • David Israel

If you want to be precise with the details, the owner is a Kurdish Turkish citizen but does not consider himself Turkish. However In Turkey he is stil considered among the wealthiest Turks.

September 11, 2013 at 9:38 am |
  31. us_1776

Well, so much for that Greek Yogurt craze.

September 11, 2013 at 9:24 am |
    • zaphed

It is not greeek.. it is lebanese man... lol ... any thing can be marketed to the uneducated american consumer.. greek shoes salad ... lol

September 11, 2013 at 9:27 am |
      • Ayatollah ben Dover

"It is not greeek.. it is lebanese man." Man, I could care less about its sexual preferences. Is it safe to eat?

September 11, 2013 at 10:33 am |
      • Gerontion

The two men living across the hall from me are "Greek." I think the two girls next door are Lebanese. Nothing wrong with diversity.

September 11, 2013 at 11:06 am |
  32. DDJ

I have a cup of Chobani every morning. I really enjoy it. I think I would recognize something wrong with a cup if mold were present, would toss it in the trash, and go get another cup. I have tried other brands of yogurt and will remain a loyal Chobani consumer.

September 11, 2013 at 9:18 am |
  33. ohioan

I've contacted Chobani twice now and no response. I realize I only had 3 tubs left, but two were from a larger multipack that mostly was thrown away due to off-taste.

September 11, 2013 at 9:14 am |
  34. AJ

My girlfriend and I heard about this last week and sure enough, most of ours were contaminated and some were even puffy. Luckily, neither of us got sick from it. Last night, we went to Target to see that they still had Cobani on their shelves and they were extremely puffy. We brought one to the manager and informed her about the contamination and that they should be removed. She said that the recall was not in there computer system for some reason??? However, I'm pretty sure they still removed them.

September 11, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • Kurt Chobani

I can't take it anymore.

September 11, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
  35. vin

the mould has a greek name as well.. just add it to the list of ingredients.. lol!!

September 11, 2013 at 8:52 am |
  36. Katie

I agree, Chobani is the best yogurt out there. This sounds like a bad batch. That happens nearly every day in the food industry. Bad peanut butter. Bad hamburger meat. Bad dog food. Bad baby formula. Etc etc etc. And no, it's not just products from China. At least no one died.

September 11, 2013 at 8:35 am |
    • Chobani Yogurt Mold

See you next time.

September 11, 2013 at 9:38 am |
  37. Jim

I bet if this was a brand from China there would be so many racist comments about China and Chinese people. But since Chobani is a brand from the states they get a free pass? Such double standards.

September 11, 2013 at 8:25 am |
    • hyundai

I agree.

September 11, 2013 at 8:53 am |
    • Capt Sum Ting Wong

I like it!

September 11, 2013 at 9:23 am |
    • Ayatollah ben Dover

I can't stand Chobanis and there are too many of them in this country already. Some of them moved in down the road and they have too many dogs and children and they drive a car and I see them sometimes and I just hate them so much. So now maybe someone will DO something about them.

September 11, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  38. leah

As the French would say....Goût distinctif.

Chobani is still the best yogurt out there now.

September 11, 2013 at 8:02 am |
  39. youidiots

This is happening more and more because the Truckers who transport our food cannot afford,or decide not to fill there Reefer with fuel....Reefer being the tank that supplies the energy to the Air-Conditioner on refrigerated Units! GLOBAL DILEMA, not just happening in the United States, this is happening everywhere!!

September 11, 2013 at 7:54 am |
    • rob

This incident isn't caused by the trucking industry but you do bring up a valid point. This is the first time I've heard of truckers not maintaining the proper fuel requirements for transporting food products. It is a scary thought when their cargo plays a huge risk to the health of thousands. Is this being done by independent truck drivers or a company policy? Either way, if it is true I'd like to see it brought to light because of the risk involved.

September 11, 2013 at 8:44 am |
      • Ayatollah ben Dover

"This is the first time I've heard of truckers not maintaining the proper fuel requirements for transporting food products."
        Not true, never happens, and the refer doesn't affect your mileage. Probably another 7th grader talking big.

September 11, 2013 at 9:42 am |
        • Mushy

September 11, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • Bob

Cheater-Boxes in the Reefer Unit would pick this up (temperature ranges) , and the load would/could be rejected.

September 11, 2013 at 9:05 am |
  40. korkea aika

I'm glad about government oversight here but hope that consumers will punish the offending supplier CHOBANI. The name is misleading, sounds like some Iranian-type name but in actuality is produced -- I learned here -– in Idaho!!! So what's the deal? Can't a product be honest in its marketing? More importantly, I object to the company spin in their statement above. After all we are talking about people's health....what nonsense is that to say 'ONLY 1/3 of our production is located in the Idaho facility'???? I did not hear an apology to the victim-customers nor did I hear how they intend to ensure that this will never happen again. F MINUS on dealing with this issue.

September 11, 2013 at 7:52 am |
    • Scotty

Calm down big guy. How is the name misleading? They make greek yogurt, you expect it to only come from Greece? Do you expect a company that makes philly cheese steaks to import them all from Philly?

Them providing that information was to let consumers know how big of a recall it was. They're not underplaying it, they're just giving the public an idea of how big it was. If they had said it affected 80% of their production, obviously that's a much bigger deal.

If you're looking for your apology, try chobani.com. There's a huge apology site before you can even enter their main site.

September 11, 2013 at 8:10 am |
    • me

The name "Chobani" is Turkish. It's named that because this company bought the rights to the yogurt's founder - A Turkish man.

Them saying that only a third of the production of their products is in Idaho isn't "spin," it's likely true, and it explains that their other products are not contaminated. If it weren't true, their lawyers wouldn't let them say it.

korkea aika: For someone whose name sounds foreign, you throw around a lot of bigotry. Check yourself. Unless your real name isn't foreign, in which case, you have the poorest handle of English grammar I've seen in awhile.

September 11, 2013 at 8:12 am |
      • moribundman

"awhile" is an adverb. You should have written "in a while."

September 11, 2013 at 8:48 am |
        • cmills88

Douché

September 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
        • TheHummusJokeWasntFunnyTheFirstor100thTime

Touché

September 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Lara

korkea aika: Your argument is irrelevant. The name is not intended to mislead... for crying out loud it's just a name and nothing to do with dishonest marketing. Also even the CEO of the company issued an apology. Their website is full of information on how to track whether your yogurt is strained or not. BTW - I did get sick the other night after eating a cup of their mango yogurt. Whether or not it's because of that or the other stuff I ate, I am happy to be alive. Shit just happens and I hope the company will go through extra measures to ensure this will not happen again... I'm sure they will.

September 11, 2013 at 8:15 am |
    • Lara

korkea - it's a name and nothing to do with dishonest marketing. The CEO apologized himself and they even have tons of information on their website to help track if your cups are strained. BTW I got sick the other night after eating a cup of mango yogurt. Whether or not it's because of that or the other stuff that I ate, I recovered.... now I'm moving on to buy more Chobani cups. Their ingredients (minus the mold of course) is better than others.... and that's just fact.

September 11, 2013 at 8:22 am |
    • Ayatollah ben Dover

".what nonsense is that to say 'ONLY 1/3 of our production is located in the Idaho facility'????" What kind of fool doesn't know dairy is perishable? They have it made as close to the consumer as possible, of course, and anyone with good sense would see that instantly. You expect them to ship yogurt from Idaho to the east coast?

Really, think first and post second. You could have figured that out yourself.

September 11, 2013 at 9:46 am |
    • ISeeStupidPeople

Oh. . . there's one now!

September 11, 2013 at 10:38 am |
      • Dex

Oh, there's my mirror, give me that!

September 11, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  41. SixDegrees

Yes, this was reported over a week ago.

September 11, 2013 at 6:59 am |