August 28th, 2013

It's not that there's not enough food, says CNN Health's Elizabeth Cohen - it's that the students just plain don't like the fruit, vegetables and leaner meat when they're used to pizza and fries.

Previously:
Study finds school breakfast is a key to future success
School snacks are about to get healthier
New program strives to get more lower-income students to eat breakfast
Tom Colicchio talks childhood hunger
Hungry at the holidays

More on the politics of school lunch

Posted by:
Filed under: Health News • School Lunch

1. brads2sense

Big shock..no ADULT likes healthier food at first compared to junkeir stuff, but you get used to it. Sometimes the adults have to take the hit and be the "bad guy" and not cave-in to doing things just because the kids want what they want. Heck, if every kid wanted candy bars for lunch, would you give it to them? Of course not. These districts that drop out of the program reported losing $30k..maybe THAT is what its really about for them. And the districts are not opting out because of loss of revenue, then they are enabling the childhood obesity issue.

August 29, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • busymom1956

I couldn't agree with you more. I suffered a heart attack last October, even though I'm a very active person and it was because of my diet. Too much processed foods, especially meats (hot dogs, lunch meat, breading on meat, etc.) as well as fried stuff. Now I eat more veggies & fruits, and stay away from processed foods like chicken nuggets. No child is going to like the healthy menus until they get used to it. If that the only options, then they will eventually eat it. I say that the schools that opt out should lose their federal funding for school lunches.

August 31, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  2. jh

I was raised in a family that cooked regularly. That's why I love my veggies and fruits. There's nothing like eating a fresh tomato that was plucked from your backyard. I think the frightening thing is that a whole generation of humans prefer fatty/salty/processed food to real food. Fast food has only existed for the past century – and I wouldn't necessarily call it food. Please look up what a Mcdonalds chicken nugget consists of. When I make fried chicken – the main ingredient is chicken.
    Anyway – when we were younger, we all had faster metabolisms. it's pretty hard to get fat when you are young and active. It's different now because kids eat a lot of high calorie sugary crap and then sit and play videogames or go online.

August 28, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
  3. Truth™

I grew up in the era of hamburgers, grilled cheese, pizza, etc for school lunch and I've never had weight issues. Keep in mind though, that gym class and recess was also offered daily and I spent a lot of time on my bike.

August 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • Edwin

Same here. Had gym class everyday and I rode my bike 5 miles each way to get to and from school despite a public bus line running that route. I actually made a game of racing the bus to see who would get to my neighborhood faster.

August 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • Liz

You also have ot remember that as time has gone on more and more of those foods are far more processed then they used to be. Its the processing and the quality level of the ingredients that attribute to health issues. Most schools still require year round gym so its not really and activity level issue in school. I was fat as a Kid I blame it not only the quality of food at school but myself because I had very very bad control issues with food. If I was sad or scared or angry I sought out all the bad foods as 'comfort'. It was very hard NOT to find those types of foods in schools or near schools. Hell just driving to school I could stop at Krispy Kreme in the morning. As an adult it took sometime to work out my issues with food substitutions with emotions but I did and im healthier and thinner than I ever was as a kid. Today its not only the schools poisoning kids with bad food choices or low quality food but families too. Its almost as if parents today (not all obviously) have no idea or believe the junk they got fat on won't make their kids fat too. The schools need to be the bad guys and they need to get parents on their side and help teach the parents about better foods too for the program to work.

August 31, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,051 other followers