Coffee klatsch
August 26th, 2013

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic.

You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/. If things start to heat back up over the summer, we'll go daily again.

Personally, we've really enjoyed the flow of conversation this past couple of weeks, because conversations have been able to continue for people who don't visit every day – but it's a work in progress and we're always listening.

Your weekend went how?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. JBJingles_Hatch Day Two

OK, so my fingers are still burning a bit after touching all those chiles yesterday, but I must Hatch on...Making a Hatch green chile sauce this morning to go with my chicken tacos later but I may tone it down a bit by adding some canned, mild, Hatch to the mix. I prepped about 5 of the chiles for rellenos, but I've never made them before and not sure about those. I will mix up some Hatch green chile turkey patties for cooking up later. Oh and the Hatch green chile, sausage, and jack cheese quiche was great, even hubs liked it. It had a bit of heat towards the end, but still yummy. Happy Sunday!

September 1, 2013 at 11:13 am | Reply
  2. JBJingles

Back from my Hatch Chile Roasting, the most fun I've had on a Saturday morning in a while! The folks at Melissa's produce are awesome and so friendly and helpful! I resisted buying a whole case (thank gawd) and 'just' picked up 6 lbs freshly roasted...the aroma of the chiles in my car on the way home was amazing!! Now for the peeling, seeding, de-veining.

http://www.melissas.com has a list of roastings all over the country if you are interested! Hatch ON!

August 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead @JBJ

Soooo,You were Butt sliding and Peeing on the 101? Amazing-:)))).

August 31, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Reply
      • JBJingles@RH

The 405/101 interchange is insane (and scary), even at 9 am on a Saturday! I peeled chiles for about 4 hours today and thought they might not be so hot so ignored the warning to wear gloves...the fingertips on my left hand (the holding hand) burned for about 2 hours after. More updates later and my iReport. :)

August 31, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Reply
  3. JBJingles

OK, I can't resist...What Day IS IT?? What daaay IS IT?? It's National Bacon Day!! Whoop.

Oh and I heard RH may be sleeping with the fishes tonight...in Seattle! ;)

August 31, 2013 at 9:00 am | Reply
  4. JBJingles@Kat

I see you reposted the Duke Mayo sandwich story, complete with the elusive Eatocracy cutting board...*sigh* Are you just trying to tease me or torture me?? :(

In other news, I am in search of Hatch chili's this weekend and all things made with them! Tequila/lime marinated chicken tacos with Hatch chili verde salsa, Hatch chili cheese cornbread, Hatch chili quiche. Hatch ON!!

August 30, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

HATCH YES!

August 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Reply
      • JBJingles@Kat

Eatocracy cutting board no?? :) How do you do an iReport on this?

August 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Reply
        • suj@jbj

Here is where you start: http://ireport.cnn.com/
          I love the hot peppers, wish I could stand the heat. In New Mexico, to the natives I know, a bowl of chilli means a bowl of hatch chillies and smoked pork stewed together for at least 10 hours. The result is a medium thick stew of green with flavorful bits of meat in it. Good grief, I've seen people eat this fiery stuff waiting for their first pot of coffee to finish brewing, a prebreakfast! I have to ask, does this stuff really put hair on your chest?

August 30, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
        • JBJingles@suj

I had some last week in Austin and they were mild, liken to Poblano or Anaheim chili's as they have here in CA. But they tasted completely different, in a better way...more tang maybe? I think you may be talking about those small fiery ones, maybe from Hatch, NM also?? I hope to do a report before the weekend is over, thanks!

August 31, 2013 at 8:58 am |
        • RichardHead@JBJ

Please read the camera instruction manual Before producing the iReport and hitting the Hatch Margaritas. :)))))

August 31, 2013 at 9:03 am |
        • JBJingles@RH

Instructions? Ha! I promise not to consume any margarita until said Hatch's are safely home, after that all bets are off.

August 31, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  5. Truth™

Ok folks, I am off like the proverbial promdress. Enjoy the weekend!

August 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  6. AleeD®

Did you ever wonder why there are no dead penguins on the ice in Antarctica? Where do they go? Wonder no more!
    It is a known fact that the penguin is a very ritualistic bird which lives an extremely ordered and complex life. The penguin is very committed to its family and will mate for life, as well as maintain a form of compassionate contact with its offspring throughout its life.

If a penguin is found dead on the ice surface, other members of the family and social circle have been known to dig holes in the ice, using their vestigial wings and beaks, until the hole is deep enough for the dead bird to be rolled into, and buried.

The male penguins then gather in a circle around the fresh grave and sing:

"Freeze a jolly good fellow."
    "Freeze a jolly good fellow…"

[You really didn't believe I knew anything about penguins, did you?]

August 30, 2013 at 10:52 am | Reply
    • The Penguin--Batman's Nemesis

So what you are Really saying is that you don't like short men dressed in Tuxedos ????

August 30, 2013 at 11:15 am | Reply
  7. Mary Shannon

Happy Friday, everyone, and also, a happy long weekend to those who have Monday off. Have a safe and happy Labor Day!

August 30, 2013 at 8:52 am | Reply
    • AleeD® @ Mary S

Back atcha nice lady! Got hubby's sister coming in tonite and we'll have 'em 'til Tuesday morning. Wee.
      What are your plans for the long weekend? Do you get of on Monday? ~_~

August 30, 2013 at 9:10 am | Reply
  8. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

YEEHAW!!!

August 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Let the domino effect begin.

August 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Reply
      • Weeds

May truth and science overcome fear and superstition

August 29, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Reply
        • Weeds

modbotted? talk about fear...

August 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
      • Weeds

It's going to be an uphill battle to fight the almost 100 years the Federal government has been spending hundreds of millions of dollars demonizing a plant based on early 1900s racial bias and fear. The first step is for the Federal Government to remove marijuana from the list of Schedule 1 drugs. Legalization of marijuana is stemming from its medicinal uses. The big drug companies are loosing this battle...

And one day, just maybe, I can buy a pair of real pair of blue jeans, like the originals made from hemp instead of cotton. Canvas was originally made of hemp.

August 29, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
        • Weeds

Funny thing. I just learned this.
          Marinol is a Schedule 3 drug. It is a pure isomer of THC.
          The active ingredient in marijuana, which is a Schedule 1 drug, is THC.

Schedule 3 drugs "has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States."
          In 2002 DEA accepted a petition to make marijuana a Schedule 3 drug. Apparently it needs approval from a political branch for this change to be accepted.

August 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
  9. Truth™

Here's an interesting food related story, and an interesting means of losing one's job:

August 29, 2013 at 9:54 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Minimum wage definitely needs to be changed, but give me a MF break. They're asking for more than I make and I can guarantee you what I do is far more important than flipping burgers.

August 29, 2013 at 10:49 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

Supersize my paycheck. HA!! What a joke!

August 29, 2013 at 10:55 am | Reply
    • RC

F-ing ridiculous! $15 an hour!? Guess where that raise would come from. Welcome to the $10 Big Mac.

August 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply
    • Patty Martinez Gonzalez McFlipper

Can sumone hear help me with my Inglish sooes I can fill out my unemployedament paper?

August 29, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

I've long believed that minimum wage jobs aren't intended to be enough to support a family. Remember the days when you took minimum wage jobs as an entry level position, and then you strove to do better, educate yourself and advance in your career? If we take away the need to improve and the associated compensation benefit of same, where is the incentive to better yourself?

August 29, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Reply
    • Get out from under your rock

"The average annual income for a fast-food cook in Denver County is $9.10, or an annual income of $18,930, according to May 2012 data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

According to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology living-wage calculator, an adult with one child would need to make $20.95 in Denver County to meet the standards of a livable income."

Check how your area fares here: http://livingwage.mit.edu/ It might be an eye opener

August 29, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Reply
    • Edwin

Simple solution. Fire them all. Grab a couple of teenagers off the street. You'll have them replaced within the day.

August 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Reply
  10. JBJ with an Ooopsie

I scheduled a meeting early today with several AVP's, SVP's, and a EVP...gave out the conference number last week on the invite (I have had this number for years (forgetting that it was replaced several months ago))....so I dial in from my boss' office (on speaker) and guess what? The number now belongs to a "get a hot date" dial up! "Ladies press 1, Men, meet singles press 2, for redheads, press 3) Soooooooo embara$$ing!

August 28, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®@JB Oops C

"... press two redheads?!" Really? ~_~ Interesting.

August 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Reply
  11. AleeD®

Yaaaaawn. *stre-e-e-e-tches* Oh my. Coffee's on and there's some humble pie on the counter for the visiting Hannah Montana fan club. ~_~ Good try for a firstie, M.C. Honey. Call me for an appointment for some lessons.

August 28, 2013 at 6:55 am | Reply
    • Twinkle Toes

Twerk It--Twerk It Good.

August 28, 2013 at 7:33 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Someone posted this on the 49ers forums. It's hilarious. (not a Rick Roll)

August 28, 2013 at 10:57 am | Reply
        • Sir Biddle

I'll see your chicken and raise you a Hank Hill.

August 28, 2013 at 11:36 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

lol

August 28, 2013 at 11:48 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

August 28, 2013 at 11:56 am |
  12. Ms. Grammar

What??? Does yours taste like the cream went bad as well????

August 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply

Good photo caption.

August 27, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  13. Truth™

Quiet day at the office here...time to get things kicked off on the subst!tutions thread...

August 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply
  14. Pretty cool.

August 27, 2013 at 10:44 am | Reply
  15. Sir Biddle

In a fierce attempt to beat Dad's record, on Day 6 of his new school, Little Biddle was sent to the principles office. Ugggghh, its only just begun.

August 27, 2013 at 8:23 am | Reply
    • JBJ@SirB

And do tell what offense Lil' Biddle was sent to the office for, enquiring minds want to know...

August 27, 2013 at 10:36 am | Reply
      • Mary Shannon

And what did SirB do as a child to get sent there?

August 27, 2013 at 11:00 am | Reply
      • Sir Biddle

He pinched another student and then kicked the teacher. The transition to school is a tough one with a more structured schedule. Taking it serious, but not going to worry about it just yet.

Can't remember what I was sent to the office for multiple times but I am sure I earned it.

August 27, 2013 at 11:07 am | Reply
        • RichardHead

Well,at least he wasn't " Smokin' in the Boys Room."

August 27, 2013 at 11:15 am |
        • Truth™

Like father, like son...

I was usually pretty good about staying under the radar, though I did go MIA for four days on the senior trip to Daytona...And nobody really noticed.

August 27, 2013 at 11:20 am |
        • Sir Biddle

I can feel my parents looking down at me from above and enjoying the show. Sit back M&D, its going to be a long one.

August 27, 2013 at 11:30 am |
        • AleeD®@Sir Biddle

Pinching & kicking, eh? There's a position open in the dungeon for that sort of behavior – but you must be over 18 to apply. I never got sent to the principal's office. His paddle was much bigger than mine. ~_~

August 27, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
        • Weeds

Little Biddle battle

August 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
    • RC

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree? I spent more time in the principles office than the classroom! Brings back fond memories...

August 27, 2013 at 10:56 am | Reply
  16. JBJ

If anyone needs me Saturday, I will be here for a one day only Hatch Chile Roasting!! I had the pleasure of having my first taste of Hatch (they're in season now) last week in Austin at Lupe Tortilla's, sooo good. I love love love green chiles and these are the best ever.

Saturday, August 31, 2013
    Gelson's Sherman Oaks
    4520 Van Nuys Blvd.
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    818-377-4140
    9:00 am to 3:00 pm

August 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  17. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

lol. This reminds me of AleeD for some reason.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7kYM0taMtA&w=640&h=390]

August 26, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®

Thank you Jdizz. That WAS right up my Alee alley! ;)

August 27, 2013 at 7:16 am | Reply
  18. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

If I could bi**h slap someone through the phone I would have done so a minute ago.

August 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  19. JBJ

And, can someone post some "My Sharona" for RH?? I think he may be missing his favorite bartender a little. :))

August 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®

While I love you both to the tip of my wh!p, I'd rather be rick-rolled that ever hear that song again.

August 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Reply
      • JBJ

No problem, I can't see/hear the vid's from work anywho and it looks like MR. Head is MIA. Did you see the pic of my pretty Pwickly Pear Margarita?? I don't think we can say Plick on here?

August 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Reply
    • Rick

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2JtsVumFA&w=640&h=390]

August 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Reply
  20. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Had ye ole fantasy foosball draft party on Saturday at Milwaukee Burger. Nachos, cheese curds (a Wisconsin thing, which I gave to someone else), a slider, 34 oz beer, and wings.

$10

Then a coupon for another burger and a beer for sometime later in the NFL season. We spent 3 hours there and I spent $20 with tip and got a coupon for free stuff. Nice.

August 26, 2013 at 9:53 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

Long live Wisconsin! *burp*

August 26, 2013 at 11:51 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

We're all alright!

August 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  21. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Sweet haircut.

August 26, 2013 at 9:46 am | Reply
    • AleeD®

WCOD (windy comb-over day)

August 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Reply
  22. Mary Shannon

Good morning, everyone. I went back to last week and read the restaurant and entertainment review (all in two, very nice), and it sounds like you guys had a great time. Who'd have thunk that a friendship would grow from these posts...pretty neat.

Another good note for today, keep your fingers and toes crossed that Dad gets the OK to head to physical rehab today. He's beyond ready to leave the hospital, today is two weeks in.

August 26, 2013 at 8:51 am | Reply
    • RichardHead@Mary S

Finger,toes and eyes crossed for Dad. Hospitals make people sicker. An Update on my Matt's Review........JBJ found the recipe while surfing the Internets and The Googles--and they have the recipe for The Bob Dip too......Wooooooo-Hoooo.

August 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®@Mary S, JBJingles & Michael McDonald

Mary, I read those, too. Very nice meeting minutes & restaurant review. Everything's crossed smothered in positive thoughts.
      Doobie Bro & JBJ, watch out for those on-line recipes from restaurants. I've often heard they change things up a bit so as not to threaten their bidness. But have fun figgerin' it out you two!

August 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@AleeD

Unbeknownst to yours truly--Matt Martinez had written 3 Cook Books and lists all his recipes. I've gotz the secret ingredients for the rice. MOOOOOOOOOY Fantastico!!!!!!

August 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Reply
        • JBJ@MS, AD, RH

First to Mary Shannon, fingers and toes crossed, and best thoughts heading your way (and dad's).

AD – Agree on the online recipes...sometimes you can find a cook, spilling the beans so to speak, and get close.

RH – I read a couple of reviews on the books and mostly very positive, but one person (in the know) said they might have left something out of the recipe. AND spill on the secret ingrediant please?

August 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
  23. Sir Biddle@KAT

Got a dead link over on the cocktail post. Barmini – Washington, D.C.

August 26, 2013 at 8:25 am | Reply
  24. AleeD®

The Thread Dom always comes first. ~_~

August 26, 2013 at 5:41 am | Reply
    • RichardHead

What????? No Coffee???

August 26, 2013 at 6:33 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

That's the house rules!

August 26, 2013 at 8:26 am | Reply
    • AleeD®@Michael McDonald & Vampire Pigbat

Rich, my bad. First ... after coffee.
      VPB: Yes ... ~_~ ... yes it is.

Djall have a good weekend? I worked like a rover, then got up at 3:30am to get the hub-meister to TPA. Ironically, the Dom is beat.

August 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Reply