August 12th, 2013

John Fricke is a CNN Assignment Editor. He cares deeply about pizza. Pies pictured above are from Oakland and Hollywood, California, and Denver, Colorado. They look delicious, right? Their cities didn't make the list, but they're a few of the best new pizza places around the country.

If say to you, "Name the best city for pizza in America," your answer will, of course, be "San Diego." Wait, what?

The world's largest travel website TripAdvisor.com recently released its new list of "Top 10 Cities for Pizza" in the United States. Tripadvisor bills itself as offering "the world's most trusted travel advice," but just how trusted the travel giant will be after publishing this list may be up for debate.

The top list does not the word "Chicago," no matter how deep into the dish you dig.

The elite group includes towns better known for dishes like fish tacos, cheesesteak sandwiches and even 99-cent shrimp cocktails than they are for the beloved, cheesy, saucy pie.

Yes, the Big Apple got a slice of the action, coming in at number four. The never-ending debate between New York thinly-sliced newspaper with sauce against Chicago's luscious loaded paradise of a pie (was that an editorial on my part?) is always entertaining to witness. What's not is a debate over whether San Diego's slices top that of Las Vegas - which they did, barely.

I cannot say I have ever heard someone suggest: "Let's jump on a jet to Vegas! Pizza baby!" Despite my love of pizza, whenever I hit the buffet line on a marquee joint on the Vegas Strip I usually am not beelining for something I can find on any street corner in any city, anywhere.

These rankings were based on reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers. Top spots were determined based on the highest average rating by city for all restaurants that serve pizza. This doesn't mean that you, the pizza-loving reader, have to fold over and agree - oh no indeed.

In the comments below, shout out your favorite pizza place and the city in which it exists, and a loving description of the best pie or slice. Get as passionate and poetic as you'd like, and we'll share the best responses in an upcoming feature.

TripAdvisor's 2013 Top 10 Cities for Pizza

1. San Diego, California
2. Las Vegas, Nevada
3. Boston, Massachusetts
4. New York City, New York
5. Seattle, Washington
6. Austin, Texas
7. San Francisco, California
8. Indianapolis, Indiana
9. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10. Phoenix, Arizona

Previously:
Best new pizza places across the U.S.
How to grill pizza
Crazy pizzas from around the country
Provel and pizza - a St. Louis tradition

Posted by:
Filed under: Pizza

1. lubna

Newest Pizza concept is PIZZA CONE

January 16, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  2. buy carne asada online

This is awesome work. I have read the article and it seems to me very innovative indeed. Want to really see some more update here. Keep it up man.
    buy carne asada online

November 7, 2013 at 3:35 am | Reply
  3. kaspersky crack

Hi I really enjoyed reading your blog . The information were really usefull . Thank you so much!

September 19, 2013 at 9:06 am | Reply
  4. vcmom

Most of the people in San Diego are not native, but moved here from someone else. A lot of those places have pizza. Those people brought that expertise and those recipes with them. Hence, San Diego has a whole lot of very good restaurants of ALL kinds of food – including pizza.

September 17, 2013 at 12:45 am | Reply
  5. LouBuc

NOT – obviously missed New Haven (CT) – Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, all should (and have been) be top 10 contenders – and collectively they make New Haven a Top Ten city!

September 10, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  6. owatonna siam

Minnesota is not known for pizza. Lutefisk and lefse, maybe, but not pizza. That being said, if you are in the Gopher State, you can find a decent pizza if you know where to go. Two of the favorites are from craft breweries: Thirsty Pagan Brewing in Superior, WI (right across from Duluth) and Red Wing Brewery in Red Wing, MN. These pizzas are not thin, like a New York pizza, or extreme deep dish, like a Chicago pizza. But both are a substantial crust that can stand the weight of lots of great toppings. Each piece of Thirsty Pagan's pizza is a meal in itself, and Red Wing Brewery's pizza uses local ingredients and their own brewers grains in the crust. And, you can have a pint of the house-made beers while you're there. Both are at the top of their cities Trip Advisor restaurant ratings for good reason.

August 21, 2013 at 2:21 am | Reply
  7. SouthSider

Vito & Nick's
    84th & Pulaski, Chicago, IL

August 20, 2013 at 9:43 am | Reply
  8. Bobbo

My weiner has a bone in it right now! Yay!

August 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Might want to get that checked out. Go see your proctologist.

August 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  9. Billy

Shame on CNN. This is atrocious. I thought this was an Onion article when I first read it. Seattle? The Pacific Northwest has the WORST pizza on earth. Was the panel of judges made up of people who hate pizza, or people without taste buds?

FYI – Chicago is indisputably #1. I don't care who you are.

August 15, 2013 at 10:49 am | Reply
    • John Hillman

San Diego is not an Italian cuisine kind of place. St. Louis has a 'hill' that is an Italian mecca. This list is made by the totally clueless.

August 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Reply
      • Billy

Agreed. I've eaten in the Hill neighborhood of St. Louis, and I was very pleased with the experience.

August 16, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Billy, if you read the article, you'll see that it's *not* CNN picking the cities - in fact our writer is vehemently protesting the list that was compiled by TripAdvisor. Right there in the second paragraph.

August 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Reply
      • Billy

Indeed. Sorry, I went right to the list, saw how erroneous it was, and then refused to read the article based on the fact that such blasphemy was allow to be published. A little trigger happy, I guess. My apologies to CNN. They are not the problem, rather TripAdvisor is.

August 20, 2013 at 9:37 am | Reply
  10. darthatect

The best pizza is the one I eat when I'm with friends having a good time doing whatever.
    This debate is stupid, and no one can travel and compare all the options. Pizza is basically pizza...and I've eaten great pizza in ITALY.

August 15, 2013 at 7:52 am | Reply
  11. Pavloosh

The best pizza in the U.S. is at Old Forge, Pennsylvania – the Pizza Capital of the World!

August 15, 2013 at 6:51 am | Reply
  12. campground1

The Hot Tomato in Fruita, CO rocks!

August 14, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  13. Bill

1. New York City
    2. Chicago

...

Should never be on any pizza list – anywhere in California.

Follow that guide next time Trip Advisor, and maybe people will believe you.

August 14, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  14. Carol

I guess nobody has ever heard of Imo's.......a St. Louis Tradition......best pizza anywhere!!

August 14, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Reply
  15. Gman1969

Two places in Olympia, WA have awesome pizza, Old School Pizzeria and Dirty Daves Pizza. Old Schol is New York style , thin crust, sold by the slice in an awesome, ecclectic downtown location with old posters from the 70's and 80's on the walls (think Farrah Fawcett, etc). Dirty Daves Gay 90's Pizza (really, thats the full name) also has a thin crust, and I presonally prefer their pepperoni and cashew pizza and their Mexican pizza is also great!

August 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  16. Dan loops

I was born and raised in Chicago and I never had a "deep dish" pizza until I was 20...never even heard about it. Deep dish sucks and there are by far more normal pizzerias than the tourist casserole.

August 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  17. Randy

Totino's Hamburger pizza, available in most any supermarket. Doesn't even have to be heated up, it's that good!

August 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  18. H.Clinton

New Haven, CT should be in the top 10, maybe top 5. Modern – Pepe's – Sally's C'MON!

August 14, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Reply
    • Eric

I'm with you for sure. New Haven is the best.

August 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Reply
    • Seth Bullock

You got it - New Haven is king of "abeetz!" Pepe's, Sally's, The Spot, Modern, and others.
      I appreciate that Indianapolis is on the list, probably because of Pizzology, which is based directly on Pepe's.

Chicago is good for what it is - casserole with a big crust.

August 14, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Reply
    • Gene

I guess the bozos who rated the pizza places never left the airport they were in.

August 16, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  19. LaFlor

New York has the best pizza- hands down-should have been #1. Gino's Pizzeria in Bronx, New York- the best. In Florida, you have to try Sam's Pizza in downtown Tampa. They actually ship gallons of New York water to make their pizza-(go figure!). Philadelphia and Boston could be #4 and #5.

August 14, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Reply
    • JR

I lived in Philadelphia for four years, and right outside for another seven. It has, hands down, the worst pizza of any city I've ever been to. I grew up in Central Jersey, where we've got a great melange of NY-style and Jersey-style pizza, and Philly can't compare. Heck, a bowling alley in most parts of the country has better pizza than most of the joints in Philly.

August 15, 2013 at 9:08 am | Reply
  20. Eddie

WILLINGTON PIZZA!!! Willington CT, Red Potato

August 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  21. jenb

Obviously those who did not choose New York have never had New York pizza because that is the correct answer for number one!!!!!!!!!! San Diego????!!!??? NOT!!!!!

August 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  22. JFC

I grew up in Philadelphia and now work in Boston's North End, so access to good pizza has never been a problem. But if I had to pick my favorite pizza city it would have to be New Haven Connecticut.

August 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  23. Tom

Something I always noticed about 80% of non-NY and non-Chicago style pizzas. They all have leaves sprinkled on them. Not spices, not lettuce, but the salad components you use when you want something fancier than iceberg or romaine. The ones we've rediscovered, that people would have been happy to find at their feet walking along an animal trail long ago. The 100,000BP version of a mid-afternoon snack. Don't get me wrong, I like these trail leaves. They do make salads more interesting. But the frequency with which they show up on pizzas in this country just hints at facetiousness, in my opinion.

August 14, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Reply
  24. Scuromonodo

"Chicago Style Pizza" isn't pizza at all. It's a casserole. Granted, it's a pizza-flavored casserole alright, but it's still a casserole.

August 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  25. Tony

Antico Pizzeria in Atlanta, GA – voted most authentic pizzeria on the east coast of the US, and for good reason the owner is from the Naples region of Italy and he had ovens brought over from there!

August 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  26. beernpizzalover

Frank's Pizza – Silvis, IL. Three hours west of Chicago, but worth the trip!

August 14, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Reply