August 6th, 2013

Don't mess with a military mom. A Lake Stevens, Washington, cafe owner learned that lesson the hard way this week after posting a photograph of the aftermath of a family's visit to the Rainy Days Caffé. According to CNN affiliate KCPQ, Rainy MacDuff asked two military wives and their children to leave her restaurant when one of the children had a screaming fit, then photographed the scone crumbs the group had left under a table.

Rainy MacDuff's Facebook post captioned, "I’d like to take this time to thank our customers with small children who don’t make messes,” was intended to draw sympathy to restaurant staff forced to clean up after their young patrons. Instead, it backfired, going viral and eliciting comments threatening boycotts of the business and bodily harm to MacDuff after one of the mothers, Kellea Poore, shared the post with friends and called for an apology.

Those on the milder, but still dissenting side chimed in, saying in Facebook comments:

"Basically,it sounds like you are a snob towards your customers and discriminate against children."

"You made a big mistake making fun of a customer's kids in public. They should sue you!"

"You're lucky I don't live in Washington or I'd dedicate my entire week to make sure you lose as much money as possible for being a disgusting human being. Don't run a business if you can't take what comes along with it. I hope you don't have children. I hope your BS closes your doors."

But MacDuff, a military wife, herself, found plenty of sympathy from restaurant patrons across the country, who agreed that the mothers should have kept their kids' detritus and decibels in check - or at least left a hefty tip.

Commenters on the cafe's Facebook page said:

"Too many times my wife and I have tried to go out and have a nice meal or coffee only to be ruined by loud misbehaved children. So, we agree with you and look forward to visiting your caffe many times in the future."

"If she is a military wife, she is not setting a good example as a military dependent and I'm sure the base commander is not going to see it from her POV either. It's the plain and simple TRUTH that was posted complete with a photo and sarcastic wit."

"Good for you for calling out that messy family! Parents need to know that it's not all right for their children to make messes and not pick up after them. If we had done that as children, our parents would have us on our hands and knees picking up to teach us a lesson, and then they'd never take us out again."

MacDuff apologized for the post writing, "It was not right to do that and I am deeply sorry for any embarrassment it might have caused anyone."

She also sweetened the deal by offering to donate the price of a scone for every comment she received within a particular hour, and has raised $220 for a back-to-school fund for the Lake Stevens Family Center. MacDuff also noted that the moms in question were welcome back - but only if leave their kids at home.

Previously:
Autism, dining out and a side of kindness
The waitress, the autistic girl and the broken hamburger
When crying kids disrupt dinner, who ends up paying the price?
Are some diners facing discrimination?
I scream. You scream. Some of us scream for scream-free restaurants
Make your kid more restaurant-friendly

1. joe

"Hello business sustaining, money paying patron. Your children (also considered to be patrons) are making noise. This is offensive. Please cut your meal short, and take your brats with you. Oh, and will you please pick up the mess? Otherwise we'll have to take pictures of your mess and post them on Facebook, and disrespect you for what you are, a failure at life and a bad parent. Oh, did I mention for you to clean up this mess?".

September 8, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  2. Mama Techie

Crumbs on the floor should definitely be the employees' cleanup work, since they have brooms, etc., for that purpose, and presumably they do not expect their customers to enter their restaurant carrying those types of cleaning instruments. In addition, in this case, the family was asked to leave. When you are asked to leave somewhere, are you supposed to delay your exit with extraneous actions (such as cleanup)? I don't think so, I'm betting that kind of delay would cause someone to threaten to call the police! When you ask someone to leave, it is ridiculous to expect them to then hang around and clean up. Seriously.

March 25, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  3. Ryan

I will have to make a neutral stance on this. Yes the mother should have tried to keep the children quiet, but the business owner shouldnt have made such a big deal with the mess on the ground. When you are at a resturant, and especially with kids, you will have crumbs on the floor. But is it really that big of deal when you own a vaccum or broom?

March 12, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  4. Dennis Erickson

As a restaurant worker let me tell you we all despise a family that takes its loud and messy children out in public. We do teams all the time and we kick out the ones where parents don't monitor their children. Restaurants are not playgrounds. They are there for families to get out of their houses and enjoy pleasant atmosphere, food, and company. If you are disrupting someone else's family or even the way a business runs itself by imposing your self proclaimed rights as more important than anyone elses, you dont deserve to be in public. We WILL shun you, and you will become famous for being moronic, not for changing the world.

March 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Reply
    • MMA Fighter

and we laugh when the ACLU shuts your restuarant down.

July 29, 2014 at 1:58 am | Reply
      • Canuck (Canadian) Person

You're not condoning kids' poor behavior are you? (even though I agree kids can't be perfect) and I also hope that you are not condoning irresponsible parents are you?,besides,it's rude of parents to act irresponsibly.

September 7, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  5. Mandiski

I'm a mom. When I go out to eat with my kids, I expect them to be on their best behavior. I clean up their messes (if they make any.) It's called parenting. Although often there are parents of kids with conditions such as autism where this is an exception – however they should clean up excessive messes. There are some people out there – with AND without kids – that feel the rules don't apply to them. People need to stop acting like jerks, parent their kids, and keep their opinions to themselves unless it's appropriate.

March 7, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  6. Ugh

OMG people with babies or children think they have a license to destroy the peace anywhere – long haul air flights, restaurants, any public place, other people's homes. You don't.

March 6, 2014 at 6:49 am | Reply
    • boonethemoocherpogue

Totally in agreement. There is no special card that allows for people with babies to be treated differently than other loud and disruptive patrons. If your child is crying there is a place to take it, and that place is called.your home. You can get your coffee and cake to-go. It's not anyone in the business fault that you are a terrible parent that has too small of an imagination to plan a proper outing. This backlash at the business for thanking other patrons for not being obnoxious doesn't change the fact that you are a terrible person.

March 11, 2014 at 1:07 am | Reply
  7. Deb

Parents need to set an example. I always managed to be able to take my daughter out to restaurants from an early age. I always made sure to at least partially clean up after her, as she got older she learned making a mess and tantrums were not allowed. All it took was making her go home and lose out on the dessert or toy she wanted a few times. So too I was able to take her to movies and church without a problem. Having been a waitress I always tip well for service. The better the service the better the tip.

March 6, 2014 at 1:11 am | Reply
    • Beth

I was in an Arby's once and a mother and four-year old daughter were in the next booth. The daughter was very well behaved. She dropped a french fry on the floor and went to pick it up, but the mother informed her the people who worked here would get it up. Parents can teach wrong behavior in this way as well.

March 7, 2014 at 8:07 am | Reply
      • Brooks

You might be misinterpreting something there. It's unsanitary to pick up food from under a fast-food table with your hands, while the employees will be using brooms and mops, not their hands. And they're required to do so periodically. Sometimes it is a better idea not to go under the table in these places.

March 10, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Reply
  8. Mel

It's a cafe. Many people study or write in cafes as they are known for providing a low-key, non-aggressive environment. As a public studier (third year medical student, also a military wife and mother), I must say it's frightfully annoying to be subjected to the misbehavior of another's offspring (or even my own) while trying to study an excessive amount of material in a short amount of time. And writing a term paper in those conditions is impossible as well. Cafes are meant to offer the ambient environment conducive to studying. As a public courtesy, please take your kids to kid-appropriate places OR get your food to go. And always, exercise respect for other human beings who didn't choose to sign up for your bundle-of-joys less desirable days. Know the limits of your kids and where and when they're capable of acting like they've got some sense (or when you feel like being a parent and reeling them back in appropriately). Don't expect the world to make concessions for YOUR kids. They are YOUR kids, not your world.

March 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm | Reply
    • Uh huh

I believe a library is a more appropriate place for quiet study.

March 6, 2014 at 6:02 am | Reply
      • sophia

You cant eat or drink in public libraries. Sometimes you need a good cup of coffee to keep going...

March 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  9. Dana

This is one of the reasons – consideration should be taken on flooring choices. However, too many parents do nothing to rein their children's behavior in and I don't appreciate spending good money to suffer through what some parents choose to ignore. Obviously, the mom knew she was responsible and had she kept her mouth quiet she would have never been ousted – but this is typical of the kind of parents that stand up for bad behavior. My parents were military and the fact that this mom was makes no difference at all. Yes, there will be some noise. Yes, there will be some mess. But when it looks like a disaster zone, your child is throwing a fit and you don't have the courtesy to take them outside to address it, or you let them run like wild creatures – maybe you should have chosen to eat at the McDonald's that has a play ground and that behavior is just part of the raucous.

March 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  10. M A Young

Well said Keena! Hands down this is the best post yet on an issue that clearly is not black and white as some of us believe it to be.

March 5, 2014 at 11:34 am | Reply
  11. Sputnik-Spooner

Thumbs up to Mr. MacDuff. It`s a parents job to teach their offspring acceptable conduct when in public. Screaming, yelling, and running around a restaurant while others are trying to enjoy the experience for which they are paying hard-earned money, is completely *un*-acceptable behavior. The mess they left behind was disgusting. How can any person with even the most basic of ethics vilify the café owner for her posting of this families piggish behavior?

March 4, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Reply
    • Sputnik-Spooner

Sorry. I meant Ms. MacDuff.

March 4, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  12. Treat each other fairly

I like how everyone is bitching about this when there are families and children who don't get to eat on a regular basis. All about perspective. I you were starving, I guarantee that no one would give a flying flip if a little kid was screaming or making a mess. You'd be worried about eating. Everyone (whether it is patrons bitching about kids or parents bitching about being kicked out) is so worried about their convenience and that they might be "put out" or have their evening "ruined". Put things in perspective. Things could be a whole lot worse than being asked to leave a restaraunt or having to listen to a kid screaming.

Also, for all of you who think that unruly kids mean that they have terrible parents, you are small minded idiots. All kids are different and most kids act different during different times of the day. Sometimes it's a crapshoot. Most parents do the best they can and still their children act crazy. I have three kids. Most of the time they are wonderful, sometimes they are terrible. My wife and I try to gage what mood they are in and will avoid going out if it is obvious they will be a bit crazy. We do the best we can.

bottom line – understanding from both sides is the only thing that can be done.

March 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Reply
    • Kbot

I get the point you're trying to make but it's just proselytizing up the wrong tree. It's a coffee shop, it doesn't get more bourgeois than that. If you're going to bring "all the starving children," the issue is spending more than 2$ on a scone and 4$ for a latte for a kids meal (I work at a coffee shop so I'm going off the avg price I see in places). That ridiculously small amount of food for an absurd price is what is messed up and bourgeois, NOT worrying about kids making noise. I'm not really sure how you connect starving children and worrying about the noise, not do I get why you'd even bring that up. Clearly, the whole thing is a first world problem and it betrays ignorance to think it's the worry about the noise that demonstrates that, rather than taking your kids to a coffee shop for food which is a ridiculous waist (never mind putting half of it on the floor)

Also, yeah kids misbehave. Remove them from the situation and area if you're unable to control them. It's not the face they misbehave that makes those ladies horrible people, it's that the entitled princesses expect everyone else to deal with it like I should give a crap about your kid. It's a public space, respect others. I respect them as long as it's reciprocated, but once a person trashes a place and expect everyone to put up with someones inability to extricate their bratty kids from the place they're clearly disrespecting your comfort.

March 7, 2014 at 3:11 am | Reply
  13. PaytonB

Don't take your children into places like that if you can't control them. It's not the rest of the world's fault you decided to be a crumby mother.

March 4, 2014 at 9:49 am | Reply
  14. Dave

What I don't understand is she is complaining about the mess left behind after she kicks them out. Well if they were kicked out how could they clean up cuz if they would have stayed to do that she probably would have called the cops.

March 4, 2014 at 7:41 am | Reply
  15. Joe Payton

I think a big tip left and we would have never heard a complaint

March 3, 2014 at 9:57 pm | Reply
    • David

You would leave a tip after being kicked out of the restaurant? I wouldn't. I mean, why should I leave a tip if I wasn't allowed to finish my meal in the restaurant?

March 3, 2014 at 11:39 pm | Reply
      • Reality Check

Out of embarrassment for the scene you caused, you stupid turd.

March 4, 2014 at 10:58 am | Reply
  16. Amy

Ok. Yes, you should take a screaming child out to be courteous... but since you'd have to leave in a hurry, you wouldn't be able to clean up, ya? And if you're asked to leave, you Definitely don't have time to clean up.

Now, come on caffe lady, you serve Food, to customers, who sometimes have children (that they are Choosing to Be with). How rude to expect every child to be perfect all the time. And Scones??! How does Anyone not leave crumbs with scones??! They're so dang crumbly (that being said, I still make sure we always clean up, and leave a tip).
    What a poor choice for the owner to have made to post that.
    So, parents- take screaming children out. It's okay to miss out on stuff sometimes. Don't teach your kids that it's okay to act that way, or make others just deal with it.

And snobby cafe owners can carry on complaining about each crumb after the customer- your customer- just spent money on your product. They're are other places to eat...
    How ungrateful to complain and so publicly.

People, please.
    Let's all just be kind and understanding to each other.

March 3, 2014 at 8:52 pm | Reply
  17. sadness in brooklyn

After many years, i am now blessed with children. But one thing i always take to heart is how obnoxious some children are, and quite frankly, how obnoxious the parents are for letting them be this way. Blame it on the self-centered pedestal we put ourselves on in our culture through reality tv consumption, our facebook posts (who cares what cereal you choose for breakfast), and the loosing team that STILL gets a trophy at the end of the year for the 4th graders, but we all feel waaaay too important. If the women- the parents- the mothers would have picked up after themselves, probably all would have been let slide. This action coupled WITH the loud children shows the disrespect (do you even get this?). This wasn't a chain restaurant where we as a culture all spoiled into thinking we can return whatever we don't like and that it doesn't matter how we treat the place because its a corporate entity with deep pockets and job positions that need things to do. Its a small biz owner trying to MAKE IT. How about some support for them instead of making their jobs harder. I mean seriously grow up and show respect for others...

March 3, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Reply
  18. M A Young

For all of the comments here nobody really knows what happened that day except the shop owner, the patrons and the parents in question. Was it right or fair for the owner to rant on the internet. On the face of it NO! But it must had been a spectical for them to do so.
    Was it right for the parents to reply in kind? YES and NO! YES, in that they tried to set the record straight and NO in that they did not take partial responsibility for their part. This is all a lot of hot air over something that has nothing to do about nothing. Parents take responsibility for your children in public and shop owners keep your grievances between you and the offender. Stop airing your frustrations with us, the oh-so-very wise public... Blessings To All! >

March 3, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  19. singleparentofanisustudent

dr. phelan's book: 123 magic it worked miracles in my house.

March 3, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  20. bill

This is very disappointing, you can tell who is under 30 years old by the posts they leave. This is about 4 things, respect, consideration, accountability and parental guidance. A) Lack of respect for the owner and other patrons; seems like the younger generation just doesn't get it. They "demand" respect yet don't know how to give it. respect is earned...not given B) Have you ever considered how the other patrons felt or the owner who is trying to make a living and feed her family? C) You are accountable for your self and your children, how they act and what they do is your responsibility....Mom, this is up to you to guide and teach your children what is right and wrong. which brings me to the last point. Parental guidance, You as a parent are responsible for teaching your children, how to behave, what's acceptable and what isn't.

For some reason the general populous under 30 seems that they are free of any aspects of life, they demand respect without giving it like it's some god given gift they were born with, they don't take into consideration how others may feel they just "take over" and "Run over" who ever is in the way, with no accountability of their actions which tells me there was a lack of parental discipline when they grew up and is now inflicted upon their children.....So very sad. AND, the only one's that won't understand this are the younger generation who don't have enough "worldly, life experience" yet they know everything. Sad state of affairs.......

March 3, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Reply
    • Angi

I didn't see the ages of the children who were in the restaurant. How do you know they weren't toddlers? How do you know they were sick or something had happened? Yes, there is respect. But it was disrespectful for the shop owner to act in the manner he/she acted. Disrespectful and extremely unprofessional. Who wants to eat at a place where there's the chance they'll be put on the internet because the shop owner didn't like something they did?

March 3, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Reply
    • Keena

First, I am over 30.. and the mother of a 9 and 10 yr old. I understand respect, but it goes two ways. When my kids were younger, I was careful to try and keep them entertained and keep them from getting fussy. But they would get loud. Also understand that there is differing levels of acceptance on what is considered "loud". What I might see as a minor interruption, another might see as a gale force wind of noise. Nothing in this article stated that the mothers did nothing at all to keep the kids from being loud, or what was considered loud (1 min of a baby crying, a 20 min tantrum by a 2 yr old, a 5 yr old singing and yelling at the top of his lungs???) and then they were told to leave. At that point, if they are dealing with screaming or belligerent kids, they didn't have the time to clean up after themselves. This doesn't state that they came in normally and always left this kind of mess. So respect from the shop owner too... for understanding (as a mom) that kids are kids and parents try to do what they can, and that you can't tell someone to leave and then get ugly when they don't clean up after themselves.
      And before everyone starts saying that the mothers should control their kids... how do you know they didn't??? And then again, how would you like them to do that? Tell them "no" in a nice calm voice? Because we are no longer allowed to smack a little hand that continues to throw food on the floor after being told not to, we are no longer allowed to pop the bottom of the kid that is busy throwing the temper fit because he was told no, we are no longer allowed to raise our voice to our kids to get a point across.... because those same folks who want quiet, perfect, angelic kids anywhere in public, also don't want us to actually teach them how to become close to that.

March 5, 2014 at 9:42 am | Reply
  21. jordan thomas

This is rediculous, my kids behave wonderfully in public and people still ask us to leave because my youngest drops her fork or drops a few vegtables on the floor. She's freaking 4 not 14 if you have an issue with kids in public eaterys then stay the hell home. I pay my hard earned money to take my family out and too have people being judgy because they aren't "kid people" really ginds my gears. Go to damn establishment that you know for a fact kids won't be there. And to the ignorant woman who posted that on fb. If it were me you had don't that too I would have came back without my kids to give you a little piece of my mind.

March 3, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Reply
    • bill

I'm sure you are a wonderful mother, dropping a fork is no reason for being asked to leave. However it is the rest of the comments you posted that I question. Not only do you pay hard earned money but consider the other patrons who pay their hard earned money. A restaurant is not a playground. When parents let their kids run from table to table and disturb the other patrons "IT"S A PROBLEM". I have seen so much it amazes me to no end. As a restaurant owner the main concern is to make sure each and ever patron has a wonderful dining experience, good meal at a fair price. It's all about customer service and resect for each and every patron in the establishment.

March 3, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  22. Gary

I was eating at a Claim Jumper once and saw a kid drawing on a window with a CRAYON. The parents did nothing.

March 3, 2014 at 11:32 am | Reply
    • Little timmie

Why should they have done anything? It's the restaurant's responsibility to clean up after all God's little angles.

March 3, 2014 at 11:58 am | Reply
      • M A Young

Really?! It's okay for a parent no matter their situation to allow their children to run a muck and create a disturbance and not take responsibility for it? I'm a God fearing person who loves children and knows that even God has His limits.

March 3, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Reply
        • Johnny B Goode

Well ya picked the right moniker. You don't even recognize sarcasm when you read it. Grow up, punk.

March 3, 2014 at 2:34 pm |
        • M A Young

Well then that would make me a 58 year old punk! ;) thanks! Mark A Young, and your to late I'm all grown up damnit :)

March 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm |
        • Johnny B Goode

You sure sound all growed up. Goodly word usage is, two.

March 3, 2014 at 3:20 pm |
        • M A Young

Oh Johnny lighten up! What part of the country you from?
          I myself the west coast.

March 5, 2014 at 11:40 am |
  23. Amber

I used to be a server and I am a mom. If the family/families were being overly disruptive, then the shop owner had every right to ask them to leave. I remember having to wait on & clean up after little kids and their messy parents. If you're going to leave a big mess, leave an extra tip. As a mom, I kept my child's mess as contained as I could and I cleaned up after us as much as I possibly could. If my child was being too loud and I couldn't get him to calm down, I removed him until he could. It's called respect. Sure, I would've liked to sit for an entire meal, but sometimes it just wasn't an option. Children won't know how to act if you don't teach them. It's called being a parent.
    (And please make your child SIT DOWN. Don't let them run around like little wild things. And don't let them stand in their chairs. I've caught several children as they were falling because their parents let them stand up in their chair/highchair.)

March 3, 2014 at 10:12 am | Reply
  24. Deb

It took only one time of leaving the restaurant before the food came (and for which I did pay) to teach my children that they could not misbehave in a public venue without consequences. The next time a similar situation threatened, when we had taken a co-worker's kids with us to supper while their mom was in class and the two siblings began to bicker, I threatened them with leaving; my kids both exclaimed, "and she means it, too."
    The mothers should have excused themselves and left a big tip for the mess. Maybe only one kid was at fault, but the others will learn such behavior is not acceptable, rather than thinking it is because the moms failed to act appropriately.

October 17, 2013 at 12:09 am | Reply
  25. TLW

Many of you seem to be completely missing the point. The family wasn't kicked out because of the MESS - they were kicked out because of the NOISE. The unruly little brats were running around the restaurant, screaming at the tops of their lungs, disrupting other diners. THAT is why they were - rightfully - told to leave. I'm sure the owner has dealt with far worse messes.

October 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Reply
    • Suzanne

Exactly. Other diners are paying to enjoy a meal, which should NOT include unruly screaming kids, with exceptions for places like Chucky Cheese or the play area at McDonalds. And I don't blame the kids, I blame the parents. If my daughter acted up in a restaurant or other public place, I took her outside until she calmed down. She is now a mom herself and does the same with my grandsons.

October 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  26. DAivd

If the parents were kicked, out the owner can clean up the mess.
    A) Owner had no Idea if the parents were going to pick up at the end of the meal.
    B) This is nothing that sweeping would not have taken care of. Is it really to bad to expect sweeping as part of the normal table reset process, or do you want, people to start carrying brooms into your establishment, and leaning them against the table while eating ?

October 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • Stellar17

No, most civilized people expect others to teach their children that anti-social behavior in any form is unfair to everyone else. The homes of some people may be disgusting pig troughs because they allow their kids to behave like wild animals, but that doesn't mean they can destroy or generally disrespect other peoples property.

October 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Reply
    • bill

and you are under 30 I bet.....Really???? So silly David. Take into consideration the other patrons at the restaurant, DO they not deserve a "terror ridden" free dining experience? And for the Mother to repost on fb is just as ludicrous, is this her "God given right" for her children to run freely and unruly throughout? She's angry because "someone told her what to do" and her "children's behavior was unacceptable", what ever happened to being respectful of others?

March 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  27. Jimmy Hoffa

I always tip extra when my kid makes a big mess, and I try to clean up as much as I can.

October 13, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Reply
  28. Lyzzi

In my opinion, children too young to be in school do NOT belong in public. Children under 12 do NOT belong out after 7:00.

I understand that burdens of having children, feeding and entertaining, however they belong to YOU. Therefor, it's cruel of you to force the rest of us to endure their noises, smells, and interactions. I was in a restaurant the other day and this little girl in the next booth over kept turning around and talking to me. When I asked her mother to keep her kid from interacting with me, she got indignant. I don't want to hear your 12 year old talk about social studidies or cry about boys.

Adults had to suffer through high school and some of us never want to see another child again. It's unfair to the rest of us for parents to bring their monsters out in public.

October 10, 2013 at 10:33 am | Reply
    • autisticmomma

well arent you a peach

March 3, 2014 at 10:15 am | Reply
    • LadyNinja05

You sound like a horrid human being. Ick

March 3, 2014 at 10:25 am | Reply
    • Sap Fire

You sound like my mother. She had children in an era when it was norm to have children if you could bare them. She didn't have the backbone to rebel and take the path that if she didn't want them, she didn't have to. So she raised us as if we were an obligation to society, washed her hands of us and now, in her 80's wants us back. She's going to die a very unhappy & lonely old woman.

March 3, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Reply
    • Another Bill

I'll take ten noisy kids any day over one :person" like you.

March 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • Keena

Lyzzi... and how old are you??? I bet my two kids at age 9 and 10 are better behaved overall than you are, based upon that spoiled post. You don't believe kids under 12??? what made you pick that age? My 10 year old is very mature and responsible, as is his little brother. We do "date night" with just them and me to Olive Garden at least once a month, and have a great time, out way past your 7pm curfew, and they never bother anyone except occasionally with a bit too much laughter that gets a bit loud but quickly hushed. Nothing worse than the 18-23 yr olds gossiping about two tables down about who did what with who's boyfriend, loud enough for me to hear it at my table. Do you have any kids? If you don't, please take steps to ensure you don't have any, because kids are not quiet, well behaved, seen but not heard characters. You can teach them how to behave in situations, what is and is not acceptable, but until they learn it you will have problems. My children have been going out to eat with me since they were in car carriers. They have learned, by going to different restaurants, what is and is not acceptable behavior at different types of establishments. My boys are learning how to behave in fine dining as well as kid places, so they can apply that to other aspects of life. If they did not go out with me until they were 12, how exactly would they really be learning these? Part of taking them out to eat is so that they see how others behave too, so it's not all just what mom or dad says... they see others and emulate them. I've gotta tell you though, lately, the young adults I've seen at some of these locations are being used to show my boys how NOT to act, how NOT to dress, etc. So before you start complaining about the behavior of those around you, first ensure that your behavior is correct. Rudeness is not a good trait.

March 5, 2014 at 9:56 am | Reply
  29. satanicus

What if this child was autistic or disabled in some way? Dont want kids of a certain age in your restaurant/crappy cafe? put a sign on the door. This bitch is lucky I dont live near her, guarantee a brick through her window followed by a molotov cocktail. Someone that lives near there should do it.

October 5, 2013 at 3:33 am | Reply
    • Dajeau

You're really disgusting. Your thoughts of violence make me think you are unfit for parenthood.

March 3, 2014 at 9:41 am | Reply
    • moohoff

Getting tired of the "well they're autistic, they're disabled". Becoming the excuse for EVERYTHING. Keep your brats at home.

March 3, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Reply
    • Carn E. Vore

You are a rage- and hate-filled ticking time bomb. Get some counseling before you hurt yourself or others.

March 12, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  30. Matt

Working in a restaurant as a waiter I understand the fact that it is my job to clean up after whatever my customers decide to leave as a mess. I do not expect any of my tables to clean up the tables, that job lies between me and the bussers. However that does not mean that you should make no effort at all to not make a mess while you eat, or to completely ignore the fact that your kids are throwing food on the floor/making a big mess themselves. Despite the fact that they are young and we cannot expect them to not behave as such, that does not excuse the fact that you are a parent and you are in public. Take this opportunity to teach your child some semi-decent manners for eating at a table and acting in public.

October 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • Rebecca

THAT is the best response i've heard. this article says nothing about the kids having disabilities but even then you have to teach right from wrong. i will also add, however, that i've been in places where i've had HORRIBLE service, pregnant, sitting there with my children, never getting anything in an hour's time or receiving slop on a plate. kids eat what looks appealing so if it doesn't my kids won't touch it. i will remove any of my kids for being disrespectful as servers are people and we don't do that. it's common decency, as is not personally attacking people's children for a bunch of crumbs. that's overboard to me.

March 3, 2014 at 11:22 am | Reply
  31. Peter Wexler

The moms were *MILITARY* moms! Who the F cares? Oh, and the owner of the cafe is a *MILITARY* wife! Why the F does that matter? Are we supposed to give greater deference to *MILITARY MOMS* and *MILITARY WIVES* ?????

When I used to fly, I'd see members of the military always brought up to first class, on American Airlines. It used to really bug me. That went *DOUBLE* when I'd see soldiers given a free pass to the American Airlines Admiral's Club, where they would take a bite of this or that, and throw the uneaten portion of whatever back into the dispensary bowl.

CNN: STOP GRANTING GREATER DEFERENCE TO MEMBERS OF THE MILITARY AND THEIR SPOUSES, OVER THE REST OF US.

September 21, 2013 at 10:17 am | Reply
    • Proud Army Wife

Next time you see a soldier you should thank him or her for giving you the freedom to write & say comments like that. These amazing people fight for your freedom and you have the audacity to insult them because grateful Americans show their appreciation to them. The sacrifices these men & women (not to mention their families) make isn't because they want or believe they deserve these tokens of appreciation but because they are proud to stand up & protect this country. Can you say the same?!?!?! Shame on you!!!!

September 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Reply
      • Jack Shappa

Blah Blah Blah same old cliche bullcrap about how soldiers are out there defending our freedom and we should kiss the ground they walk on. Bullshit. They are doing a job and getting paid for it like anyone else. They work for the State. The state is the biggest infringement on freedom possible. Being sent off to blow up shit we have no business being involved in isn't defending anything. It's making more people hate us. how about you military people thank us taxpayers for writing your checks you get paid with.

October 4, 2013 at 4:11 am | Reply
        • Keena

Jack... how much is your life worth? How much do you think you should get paid in order to put your life on the line to protect the freedoms of this nation? Most of our military earn below minimum wage, and that is WITH housing provided. And they are not state employees, they are federal. Get that right. Those men and women put their lives on the line, leave their family's, their homes, hoping someone will take care of them while they are gone, all to do what the President requires of them. We hope that what is asked is to uphold the freedoms this country was founded on. But it is your Congress and your President who are busy sending troops wherever. And it is great that someone, in some way, shows some appreciation for these men and women. Have you ever wondered about their living conditions while they are preserving your rights? No cushy bed, with AC and heat, get up when they want, eat out whenever they want.... depending on where they are, they can be sleeping on a cot in a tent, no AC or heat, and for some, that would be a luxury. Before you start hating on the military, look at what they are protecting for you... right of saying what you want, where you want... right to practice whatever religion you want, or none at all.... right to be able to pick a job and work to attain it or others.... If you don't like those... then relinquish your US citizenship and move the heck away! My husband spent 20 years in the military, so I speak from experience when I say no one goes into the military to get rich or live an easy life. The pay sucks, the 'benefits' such as they are are being taken away left and right (ie: medical care, housing) but the pay isn't increasing to make up for this... everyone is quick to claim that taxpayers aren't getting a lot of bang for their buck when it comes to the military, but let's just see what benefits you get when the military is a bunch of contracted folks, who get paid A LOT more to do the same job, and aren't accountable for the quality of that work. As we do away with more and more of our federal work force, including the military members, we are hiring contractors who get paid not the minimum wage (or less) that those who had the job were getting, but are paid commiserate with the private sector. When my husband walked out of his job (retired from military), he walked back in the next week as a Contractor, doing the same job but his salary doubled! So yeah... let's not thank our military for what they do... and hopefully they'll be around for a while to protect your rights to b!tch and moan about the minimal cost.

March 5, 2014 at 10:13 am |
        • M A Young

Hey Keena, I'm becoming a fan of yours. Again well said.

March 5, 2014 at 11:47 am |
    • Daniel

Hahaha...way to piss off a proud military wife.

I will say, even though they are military wives, it seems that they are raising terrorists.

October 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • CJ

You sound like a whiny b*tch Peter. Yeah we made a decision to sign up and volunteer, but you're on the internet CRYING because people show gratitude towards those who defend your rights. I'm sure you wouldn't last an hour in some of the places we've been.Jelously isn't the way to go. If you want to get the free upgrades to first class and access to a lounge. Sign your ASS up or otherwise stop throwing a tantrum here like a high school freshman girl. You voice your opinion here but would NEVER say it to a vet in public. Internet troll! GROW UP!

October 15, 2013 at 9:55 am | Reply
    • Carn E. Vore

I agree on the first point: the fact that these were military spouses is immaterial. But then in your second paragraph you sound like a spoiled little b!tch-child whining that someone else got a toy that you wanted. Get over yourself.

March 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Reply
  32. Tam

I get so tired of seeing kids and parents making messes in these food places!! What slobs, do they live like that at home???

September 21, 2013 at 4:35 am | Reply
  33. msquared2

Oh no, crabby people on the internet attack the business owner. What else is new. There are 800+ comments to this news story, most are meaningless, irate rants from people who need serious psychological therapy...that's what the internet is for. I can't believe a news source actually used online comments and QUOTED them in the story. It's one thing if someone local complains or boycotts, but random strangers on the net... "I'm irate, I have kids, this person should be sued or shot or murdered in her sleep" – that's what internet people do, it's what they're programmed to do. Who cares anyway, it's a small business. You'll never go there anyway, so why do you care so much?

September 4, 2013 at 9:33 am | Reply
  34. Kraig

Wow – some crumbs on the floor. If a restaurant can't handle crumbs on the floor maybe they should open a library instead, or better yet a mausoleum.

September 4, 2013 at 9:23 am | Reply
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

you need better glasses

September 21, 2013 at 12:12 am | Reply
    • LadyWolf

If children are taught at home on how to behave in public then this wouldn't have happened. Screaming children, children get up out of their seats and running around and yes making a complete mess is not what people want to hear and see when they go out to eat. If the parents want their children to play while eating then they should take them to McDonalds to play in their playground. The owners have a right to tell the patrons to control their children and if they don't then yes they should leave.

September 24, 2013 at 8:26 am | Reply
  35. JellyBean

How did she know that the photo was of her kids mess? Could have been of any number of folks that made messes there.

September 4, 2013 at 8:45 am | Reply
  36. Mjobie

CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR OWN F************* KIDS!

September 3, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Reply
    • Kraig

How does one clean up after their kids if they are thrown out of a restaurant. I don't believe that pig of an owner or you would have much to say if the father was there. Cowards, both of you.

September 4, 2013 at 9:27 am | Reply
      • LadyWolf

What does the father have anything to do with it? I wouldn't care if the father was there or not. I would tell them the same thing. And this is coming a from a Navy Vet and military wife for 20 yrs.

September 24, 2013 at 8:29 am | Reply
  37. patriciaange

Reblogged this on Sex and Relationships.

September 3, 2013 at 5:28 am | Reply
    • RC

Why?

September 4, 2013 at 10:37 am | Reply
  38. Gort1

Shame on that mom, another embarassing military family. If they arent shooting civillians in their homes, sexually assaulting each other and in general acting like the world owes them a favor, its a good day. This is not my father's or my brother's military. Really disgusting generation of soldiers we have today!

September 2, 2013 at 9:29 am | Reply
    • Military Wife, Daughter and Sister

GRAB A GUN, STAND A POST, DEPLOY FOR MONTHS ON END.. NO?
      THEN SHUT UP YOU JACKASS!!

September 4, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Reply
    • Peter Wexler

I AGREE WITH YOU. Nowadays, because the military has become the employer of last resort, it attracts quite a low-brow crowd!

September 21, 2013 at 10:20 am | Reply
      • Steel On Target

You're quite and ignorant POS and know nothing of the quality of the military and their families.

September 21, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Reply
      • Proud Army Wife

Your hatred for the Military drips so greatly from your pores! Before you throw ignorant comments/insults out you should do you research & get your facts straight. Our military personnel are highly educated & chose to be in the military because they want the best for our country & for YOUR FREEDOM. Your a COWARD that hides behind a post & throws insult at them. My husband has been in the service for 25 years & holds a Masters presently. He is working on his PhD & being sought after major Corporations because of his experience & education. I am very proud to be his wife (who also holds a Masters) & for everything he represents in our country. Yes there are a few bad seeds but you cannot typecast the entire Military!!!

September 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  39. barbara stewart

because I happened to be raised with self respect I HAVED cleaned up the surrounding floor that my kids destroyed. if your kids cant simply sit down and eat like normal children then start feeding them in your nearest park. and if your non home trained brat SCREAMS in the restaurant get out! no one cares when why how and where...no we just want to eat in peace and take advantage of the money we plopped down to go somewhere and eat.

August 31, 2013 at 10:52 am | Reply
  40. Fed up

What a rude arrogant pig that mother is. To cause a disturbance then leave a mess then have the audacity to demand an apology. Our military is a great institution. I know first-hand though that it has some members who are pure trash. This lady is one if them. Bad parent. Bad person. Bad representation of the military. I want my tax dollars back that pay for her piggy life.

August 31, 2013 at 9:27 am | Reply
    • TLW

I agree with you - right up to the point you said you "want my tax dollars back...." WTF?? You mean the money her husband was PAID for doing his JOB?? What a ridiculous statement!

Other than that, though, your comments are spot on!

September 1, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Reply
      • LadyWolf

She acts like the military men/women don't pay taxes. We pay taxes as much as anyone else does that work.

September 24, 2013 at 8:36 am | Reply
  41. Terre08

The owner was correct, if your children can't behave, they should leave.

August 30, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Reply
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

hear hear

September 21, 2013 at 12:14 am | Reply
    • A mom of 2

I am a mother and if my 2 girls misbehave we leave. But my question is to what extent is misbehaving? Kids make noise, talk or laugh a little louder, drop crumbs (not a huge mess), spill stuff, and its normal. So my question is, if my 5 year old laughs loud and spills her soda, should we be kicked out? If she cries but then stops, is that grounds to throw us out? I hear a lot of people demanding respect from kids these days. But how can you get it if you do not give it. Children are being treated as guilty no matter what they do. But yet they are suppose to bow to you as an adult. It gets harder everyday to teach my girls what respect is, when they do not see it from other adults. They are human, do not talk down to them, or treat them like scum of the earth. You are training our future to hate you. Good luck when you end up in a nursing facility, or hospital, or in an ambulance in about 20 years. You help create a jerk, dont be surprised when you get treated like one.

September 21, 2013 at 10:20 am | Reply
  42. HZ

Learn how to properly use a plate and napkins. If you can't handle that, eat outside with the other wild animals.

August 30, 2013 at 9:28 am | Reply
  43. Behjat

Children are capable of learning from the time they're born, and as parents, it is our responsibility to raise responsible and well behaved children. By that, I don't mean you have to abuse, spank or humiliate your children. Natural consequences are the best lessons we can teach our children. If we can teach our cats and dogs to behave, why not our children. Well behave kids are happier , well rounded, and accepted by their peers. No child is born with bad behavior, they misbehave because we as parents, don't love them enough to invest in bringing them up properly. So many parents make idle threats without following through. It is very simple, ( sat it, mean it, do it) . When you say if you don't behave appropriately , we will leave the restaurant , store, or uncle Jim's house, and follow through, I promises you, it will take only once. You can enjoy your time with your kids no matter where you go. And yes, a little bag with crayons, coloring books and such to keep your kids from getting bored, is a life saver also.

August 30, 2013 at 2:51 am | Reply
  44. Maria

I believe the restaurant owner lost any expectation of having the mother's clean up after the children when she kicked them out. What were they supposed to do, get humiliated AND then stay to clean up the mess?? Children sometimes throw fits and sometimes, no matter what you try, they do not calm down. I do not know how long the child was screaming or their efforts to stop it, but either way, the responsibility fell n the owner to clean up the mess after she told them to leave.

August 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Reply
    • Arctish

I agree completely. It's hard to say whether or not the mother could have calmed the child if she'd been given a little more time. Sometimes kids just lose it and there's nothing a parent can do but try to minimize the screaming. But since the café owner didn't give the moms a chance to clean up before leaving, it was the owner's responsibility to clean up that mess herself.

August 30, 2013 at 1:25 am | Reply
    • HZ

Please. People who let their kids trash the floor never intend to clean anything up. The little buggers should be in a straw filled mobile barn.

August 30, 2013 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • Fed up

The owner did not have an expectation that the mom clean up. She thanked her patrons with small kids who don't make messes so her expectation was to not make the mess in the first place. Not a huge expectation since we're talking about human customers and not wild dogs.

August 31, 2013 at 9:41 am | Reply
    • Gary

What ever happened to picking things up when they got dropped in the first place? Why do people think other people should be responsible for the things THEIR kids do? The responsibility of any food providing business is to provide a decent meal and atmosphere. Messes do get made, that is true. A screaming child is not a decent atmosphere to be in. Thanking those who don't make messes apparently inflames those who can't take responsibility for own problems. Threats, bodily harm, and boycotting over this???? Wow. There are some seriously messed up people out there who are very questionable examples for anyone's kids, let alone their own.

September 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Reply
    • Sue

I was in a restaurant once, when a child dropped a french fry on the floor. The child went to pick it up and the mother said she didn't have to, the waitress would! I wanted to ask her what she was teaching her child and who picks up after her at home. When I was a child (I'm 63 now), on the rare occasion we went out to eat, we knew how to behave or we got the "look" from my dad. We behaved, or else. Now in restaurants, the parents of a screaming child are going to wait it out, when actually, the parent should take the child outside till the temper tantrum subsides. Have some respect for other people trying to enjoy a meal out.

September 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Reply