August 5th, 2013
02:00 PM ET
Share this on:

Diners at Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants in Iowa and Nebraska caught an intestinal illness after eating salad mix that came from Mexico, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The federal agency said its investigators have traced the outbreak to four "illness clusters" of restaurants, which spokeswoman Theresa Eisenman later identified to CNN as Red Lobster and Olive Garden locations. The probe didn't find indications that any bags of salad mix with the rare type of parasite - known as cyclospora - were sold at U.S. grocery stores.

The tainted salad mix came from Taylor Farms de Mexico, "a processor of foodservice salads," according to the FDA.

Darden - the parent company for Olive Garden, Red Lobster and other restaurant chains such as LongHorn Steakhouse - described the August 2 announcement from the FDA as "new information."

Read - Salad eaten at restaurants in Iowa, Nebraska blamed for illness outbreak

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Food Safety • Health News • News • Tainted Food • Video


soundoff (One Response)
  1. Jerv

    "described the August 2 announcement from the FDA as "new information."

    Corporate speak which means "We really don't give a rip. Just shut up and stuff your fat pie hole."

    August 6, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.

Pinterest
 
| Part of
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,413 other followers