July 26th, 2013

Mario Batali says 20 percent is a standard tip. Eric Ripert is a fan of the easy math on that, and Anthony Bourdain considers it a "sin" to take kitchen mistakes out on the floor staff's tip.

(Our pal The Bitchy Waiter agrees wholeheartedly.)

The key to good service, Batali says, is to approach the staff with an attitude of: "I'm here to have a good time, and you can help me."

Previously:
Please don't blame the waiter
How much should you tip for food delivery?
Tipping point – family locked in restaurant for skimping on mandatory gratuity
Visitors to the U.S. – avoid these tipping pitfalls
Give a snarky quip (and no tip) and thy receipt shall end up on the internet

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

Posted by:
Filed under: Anthony Bourdain • Celebrity Chefs • Content Partner • Eric Ripert • Mario Batali • Restaurants • Service • Tipping • TV-Piers Morgan

1. Edwin

There's been only a few ocassions when I haven't tipped, but you should have seen the disaters the wait staff caused in those instances.

20% is my usual amount, definitely more if the waiter/waitress goes above and beyond.
    I don't hold the wait staff accountable for mistakes the kitchen makes; I do however hold them accountable for how they handle the issue.

July 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
  2. Prince Fancypants of Wales

Its not the fault of the server if the food is cooked poorly, but if the kitchen screws up and serves something that is obviously not what you ordered and the server gives it to you anyways then its totally their fault. They should check to make sure they are giving you the red chili you ordered and not the green chili the kitchen made.

July 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  3. figal

Very good blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring
    writers? I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm
    a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I'm completely confused .. Any tips? Many thanks!

July 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  4. Arthur in the Garden!

tipping is ok but dinner should not have to finance wait staff's lifestyle. Restaurants should pay at least minimum wage.

July 27, 2013 at 9:13 am |
    • Thinking things through

We shouldn't have to, but that's the way restaurants are set up – they DON'T pay minimum wage. I generally tip 18% (rounded up) for regular/good service, 20% rounded up for excellent service and at my local sushi bar, 25% or so at diners where I've spent maybe only $8 on the meal because those folks work just as hard as those at the high end places. I've only not left a tip at all just once. The waitress ignored the only two tables in the place as much as she could get away with, in favor of gossiping with another staffer.

July 29, 2013 at 8:38 am |
    • TK

That's right, the should but they don't. If they did however; the price of your $20 steak dinner turns to $35 steak dinner. Compound that by the amount of entrees you ordering, the increase in your overall bill will far surpass your 15, 18, 20% tip....just saying.

March 27, 2014 at 11:44 am |
  5. Skillet Sauce

Tip is earned, not a 'given'. Too many of these snobbish, arrogant, obstinant servers/waitresses providing mediocre to poor service and then expecting a 20-25% tip. Ridiculous. How about EARNING it by topping off my empty drink, checking on my table every once in a while?

July 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
  6. Ed G.

huh? I can only expect good service when I imply to the server that I'm there for a good time? Sometimes I just want to eat lunch!

July 26, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
  7. mt

July 26, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
  8. bob

I can count the times I've not left a tip on one hand. Both were because the waiters were exceptionally rude. One dropped a plate on my hand, spilling soup on me (he didn't apologize, he just laughed). The other told me shrimp is supposed to smell like bleach because that's how "they are cleaned". But I don't stiff people.

July 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
  9. dioniharz

Republicou isso em Aaaah MAS nÃO ééééée comentado:
    Segue este blog

July 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
  10. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

FALSE. I've asked the waitress for a good time a few occasions over the years. They don't like that question.

July 26, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • RC

Maybe you're just not asking the right way, JD!

July 26, 2013 at 7:34 pm |