July 17th, 2013
10:45 AM ET
Share this on:

At least 22 schoolchildren died in northeastern India after eating free school lunches that contained a poison, a state official said.

More than 25 others have been hospitalized in Bihar state, said Education Minister P.K. Shahi, after ingesting an insecticide that was in the food.

The poison was organophosphorous, a chemical that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says is commonly used in agriculture.

It is a nerve agent related to sarin gas, which is used in chemical warfare, the U.S. Health Department says.

Read - School meals tainted with poison kill 22 children in Indian village

More on food poisoning from CNN Health and all foodborne illness coverage on Eatocracy



soundoff (2 Responses)
  1. NYC Fitness Events

    22 school children died in northeastern India after eating free school lunches that contained a poison,What shame. So sad.

    January 29, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.

Pinterest
 
| Part of
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,733 other followers