July 16th, 2013

Details.com editor James Oliver Cury tackles controversial food-and-drink-themed etiquette issues.

I get it. The summer heat is brutal. You want to wear less. Go ahead: Trot out your sandals (or even the mandals). You do realize, though, that showing off your hairy knuckles may cause some folks to run for cover (see this recent Slate article and the nearly annual Details column on the subject). Hey, it’s your body, right?

Not so fast. If you’re a server at a public restaurant, different standards apply. It’s no longer a personal thing; your choices are business decisions. You actually do have to consider what other people will think - especially if you hope to get a decent tip. Your boss may even tell you how to dress. That’s his or her right.

So why then do we continue to see so many egregious examples of unappetizing (and borderline repulsive) fashion when we sit down to eat and drink?

I believe that rules of hygiene and etiquette have not been clearly stated, or even discussed (it was years before someone told me that blowing my nose at the table was rude). So below I’ve rounded up the six style and grooming choices that, right or wrong, are most likely to offend customers. If you’re a waiter or busboy (and I’ve been both), you’d be wise to consider these quasi-taboos.

And if you’re just a fellow diner, you might want to give these a read, too. Dissenters, of course, are free to ignore the suggested don’ts. Just don’t sit near me.

Sandals and Flip-Flops
Like it or not, certain body parts are unappetizing to a majority of diners. We tend to cover our nipples, for example, no matter what gender we are. We cover our butts too - even though it might be more comfortable to wear a thong.

I think sandals and flip-flops are terrific for the beach and great at home, but not appropriate at a restaurant. It’s not just the bony protuberances and mashed toes - there’s a sense that you’re walking dangerously close to the filth on the streets and then sharing whatever you’ve picked up with the entire dining room.

Tank Tops
Two words: underarm hair. And for some of you ladies: underarm stubble. You’re not gaining THAT much more cool air by shunning sleeves. Stick to standard short sleeves so we don’t have to see your pits. (Note: There’s a reason we say something is “the pits” when we don’t like it.)

Band-Aids
Seeing gauze wrapped around a finger immediately broadcasts that your body is tackling blood and scabs, and any sound mind will reason that there is a possibility that the Band-Aid could fall off - meaning either that food will be contaminated with a sticky plastic bandage or that your nasty finger may touch the glass I will be bringing to my lips. Hard not to be repulsed.

That said: When a waiter cuts himself there aren’t many other hygienic options. I’d suggest investing in transparent Band-Aids or Neosporin. What we, the diners, don’t know won’t hurt us.

Facial Piercings
It’s not clear why piercings trigger such visceral loathing from diners. I believe it stems from the fact that a stud or ring could fall (or have fallen) into the food. And it certainly would be gross if it fell from your nose, your labret (right under the lip) or your tongue. But the truth is: This is very very unlikely. Still, the issue has forced some states to consider banning facial piercings at restaurants. The solution for most waiters: Remove your bling before serving.

In-Yo-Face Cleavage
I’m generally a big fan of womanly curves, but my wife believes there is a not-so-fine line between showing off the twins and foisting flesh into eaters’ faces. I rarely see the problem, but that’s part of the problem. The only time the chest should steal the show away from the food and décor is at a Hooter’s, a strip club, or in the privacy of your own home.

Too Much Cologne or Perfume
We tend to smell foods before we actually eat them, so a strong whiff of musk or lavender, while well intentioned, only interferes with the dining experience. The chef did not want his or her server’s personal fragrances to compete with the dishes’ aromas. But more often than not, the guilty party in this scenario is a fellow diner. You can file this one next to “reeking of cigarettes,” which is just as bad a transgression.

Got an etiquette question Cury can address? Share it in the comments below.

More from Details:
Time to Stop Wearing Those…
The Best Breakfasts in America
5 Foods that Make You Look Younger

Previously:
In defense of the restaurant dress code
7 deadly restaurant sins that keep customers from coming back
5 reasons you shouldn't blame the waiter
5 ways to complain effectively in a restaurant
5 ways YOU delay your meal

1. sha

Hey waiter-don't stick stuff down the back of your pants. I don't want to see the menus going down there or my check and credit card. That's what your hands are for. If you have to make more than one trip, so be it.

July 18, 2013 at 11:37 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

This

July 18, 2013 at 11:55 am | Reply
  2. Gordon

And if you're wearing a cross, cover it up! Your employer is allowed to tell you how to dress and the jewelry you can and can't wear because they want to project an image for their business, but as soon as they try to restrict religious jewelry the christians go crazy and file lawsuits.

July 18, 2013 at 3:06 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Holy Jebuz on a skate board!

July 18, 2013 at 9:07 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

This post reeks of fail and hate.

July 18, 2013 at 9:30 am | Reply
      • RC

Concur. It's just a cross. Are you really that threatened by it?

July 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  3. Katie

I don't care about the tank tops or the sandals. But I agree it's mighty tiresome to see too much cleavage, and when a woman has to bend over a table or lean over bar to talk to customers, I do not want to see breasts. Cover up, for heaven's sake – show a little pride in your own modesty. Neither do I care to see a lot of tattoos or facial piercings. Tattoos look dirty, facial piercings look like you don't care about your own hygiene, and together they present a look that I don't want touching my food. I used to work in the operating room and all I see when I see piercings and tattoos is this 80 something woman who proudly showed off all her 'body art' to us – all of it wrinkled and drooping and some of it infected or inflamed. UGH! Don't tough MY food!

July 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Reply
    • RC

Good God-what an uptight batch you must be. Glad you never worked on me in the OR. Ya think you're gonna get cooties from a tattoo? Besides-boobies make me smile :)

July 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Reply
      • Vladt

It's uncomfortable for me in humorus way....I take out my daughter for dinner, and how can I not stare, even though I try not too ( this coincidentally happened recently ).

Regardless, I got red my 15 year old daughter started teasing me about checking a girl out. Fortunately, I was able to make her laugh by saying "How could I not?." In a club, or out and about, sure, but when I am in a restaurant, they can be, um...."Pleasantly too distracting."

July 23, 2013 at 8:56 am | Reply
        • Vladt

Just thinking about it caused me too many grammatical errors...... ;)

July 23, 2013 at 8:58 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

BOOBS

July 23, 2013 at 10:26 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

( . )( . )

July 23, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • Magnimus

You might not like cleavage; but I bet the girls that showcase the twins make more on tips than the ones that don't.

October 18, 2013 at 1:42 am | Reply
  4. marcopolo

So the waitstaff can't wear sandals but what about the other customers? You're spending more time looking at them than you are at the waitstaff. This applies to all the other no-no's as well. Woman next to you wearing too much perfume, etc.

July 17, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  5. Steves

Anyone wearing mandals should be placed into a work camp.

July 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  6. Hope

Dirty black teeth, tobacco smell on the servers, dirty tables & seats, overwhelming odor of strong perfume or colognes. Even the most expensive restaurants are lacking in cleanliness in their establishments and their wait staff. If the restroom is dirty chances are the kitchen is filthy too.

July 17, 2013 at 10:58 am | Reply
  7. Josh

I disagree with putting on a clear band-aid. The reason we have to wear a blue band-aid when we cut ourselves serving is because there is no blue food. As bad as it sounds, and sometimes it could happen, a band-aid could fall off into someones food and a clear or beige colored band-aid wouldn't be as recognizable as a blue band-aid. We can stop the dish from going out to the table and throw it away quicker. And a free meal and drama could be avoided a lot quicker too.

July 17, 2013 at 10:54 am | Reply
  8. colleencollins

this is a dumb article, literally every server knows these "rules", it whether the restaurant makes it mandatory to follow them, which most do. how about writing one on how you should tip your server, its surprising how many people think a tip is just a tip rather than it being the only compensation for handling your food.

July 17, 2013 at 10:02 am | Reply
    • colleencollins

I'm also curious to see if whomever wrote this article worked in the industry...

July 17, 2013 at 10:05 am | Reply
    • marcopolo

And maybe an article on how tips are earned and should not be expected. Good service=good tip, bad service=bad tip. This concept is too tough for some waitstaff to follow for some reason!

July 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Reply
      • dezso

who ever actually write something like that down,is a cheap customer regardless,service,just trying justify his frugalness...

July 18, 2013 at 12:02 am | Reply
    • RC

Geez. That subject has been beaten to death on this blog. Just go crawl back under your rock.

July 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Reply
  9. MinnesotaCold

1. Low-slung pants, so when the waiter/waitress leans over a table, the butt crack is exposed. Ewwwww.
    2. Gum chewing; I don't want to think about the gum falling out of your mouth into my food. Ugh.

July 17, 2013 at 9:43 am | Reply
  10. Mikon

Long fingernails of waiters makes me feel sick to my stomach.

July 17, 2013 at 8:19 am | Reply
  11. Lo

How about those girls these days required to wear a little black dress? I came to eat, not see their bottom half hanging out of their too-small dress when they're sitting down to wipe a table. I have had meals ruined where I have slightly turned my head and seen EVERYTHING on display on a girl. Gross!

July 17, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply
    • Red-Blooded L u s t

Suuuuure you did. It was ruined because you suddenly had an appet!te for something other than food.

July 17, 2013 at 8:47 am | Reply
      • Lo

I am a straight female and the only appetite it gave me was an appetite for cleaning what I was sitting on for fear I was sitting on a seat that she had previously done this on. Seriously, how immature are you?

July 17, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Reply
        • Red-Blooded L u s t

There's a scale for that?!

July 18, 2013 at 7:03 am |
      • RS

I'm hungry already.

July 18, 2013 at 8:11 am | Reply
  12. Morena

Stupid article and stupid people that waste their time trying to make sense of something so stupid! CNN u are the hairy chest of the media in this country and u should be ashamed to publish articles like this! Talk about things that matters and will make difference in people's lives...

July 17, 2013 at 2:21 am | Reply
    • marcopolo

If you're posting a comment at 2:20 am, you should be worried about your own life and not what CNN is doing!

July 17, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Reply
      • micropolo

The times for postings are EST/EDT regardless of where you are. Don't be so quick to judge.

July 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Reply
  13. AJ

Now I may be mistaken... Maybe it is only the law in my state... But I work in food service and it is law that if a food handler (wait staff are food handlers) has a bandage it MUST be colored!!! (We buy the kids cartoon character ones). This way if the bandage DOES come off it is easily seen and the food can be tossed and new made! Food Safety 101!!! I can't believe that the writer of this is suggesting that their wait staff wear a transparent bandage or none at all citing "what we don't know won't hurt us" REALLY CNN??? Really?

July 17, 2013 at 2:06 am | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Varies from state to state. In many, prep staff must use those bandages, but servers and other front of the house staff are not; they shouldn't be letting their hands touch the food to begin with.

July 17, 2013 at 8:29 am | Reply
    • shirley12

I agree 100%. I also work in food mgmt. My company uses a blue bandage, it is exclusive of our company and can't be bought retail. If a customer comes in and says they found a "bandage in their food...we will know if it belonged to our employee because we require they only use this bandage! It is for the safety of the customer and the company. We also require they were a glove over the bandage at all times! Servers/cashiers wear finger cots/or gloves (depending on where the bandage is.

July 17, 2013 at 9:28 am | Reply
  14. Patrick Dickerson

I work in a restaurant. It's not super high class and it's certainly not Hooter's, but when the female servers show more cleavage, they get higher tips. It's just guys being guys I guess.

July 17, 2013 at 2:03 am | Reply
  15. jimmyH

these seem weird to me: sandals? the health dept isn't going to allow that. Not really sure about the sleeveless shirts that might not be allowed either. And I know a lot of restaurant don't want employees to wear perfume/cologne anyways; they want customers to smell the food not the staff.

July 17, 2013 at 1:53 am | Reply
  16. Javier

Really CNN? Shame on you for this article

July 17, 2013 at 1:50 am | Reply
    • Vageries

One vague comment deserves another.

July 17, 2013 at 7:02 am | Reply
  17. Maggie

You forgot to mention the chest hair in the third picture, that would really make me want to barf. I would be worried there was some in my food!

July 17, 2013 at 1:46 am | Reply
  18. Louie Gutierrez

Sounds like east coast W.A.S.P. values, like something from white-bred 1950's. Sandals & facial piercings, really? Geez! Yeah, go ahead and stick to the corporate chain restaurants like Applebee's and Chili's; somebody's got to eat there, let it be you.

July 17, 2013 at 1:45 am | Reply
  19. GiGi Eats Celebrities

Flip Flops?! Disgusting – Unless of course you're dining there. Waitstaff DEFINITELY need dress codes!

July 16, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Reply
  20. oksunny

tank tops, band-aids, and too much perfume/cologne I agree with. The others....? who cares

July 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  21. Mary Shannon

There was a local diner nearby and my parents used to visit regularly. However, a waiter there insisted on growing his pinky fingernail out and it was at least 3 inches long. Gross!!! Add personal hygiene to the list, please.

July 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead@MS

HA-this fingernail is used for scooping up and snorting cocaine or to get that big Booger at the end of your nasal cavity.

July 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Reply
      • Maggie

Or to clean out the ears!

July 17, 2013 at 1:59 am | Reply
  22. huh

"...it might be more comfortable to wear a thong." Really? WeI'd like some feedback from the ladies. I've never worn a thong but I would assume it's less comfortable having a strap wedged in your backside than wearing conventional underwear (or nothing).

July 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®

The only "panties" I own are T-backs. It's either them or nothing at all.

July 16, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Reply
      • GI Joe@AleeD

I am sensing a commando raid in the imminent future...

July 16, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply
      • RC

My kind of girl!

July 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Reply
    • SixDegrees

As s flossers.

July 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  23. jimbob

I feel dumber for having wasted 2 mins of my life on this.

July 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  24. jjdecor

Heavily tatood is also a reason for me to walk away, tatoos just look dirty to me and the more there are the dirtier it seems. People have a right to ink up their body all they want but I also have a right to reject service from that person. Dirty hair and long hair that is not tied tightly behind the person is another reason I refuse service, those dreadlocks on any 1 just look filthy to me

July 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • kebabs30

stick to vending machines

July 16, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Reply
    • tom

well said..

July 16, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Reply
    • duster00

I agree – tattoos do make a person look dirty, especially when seen from afar or if not clearly inspected by the person viewing them. This doesn't mean they're dirty. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be hired. But the truth is, it's natural to be apprehensive on first glance about something on the skin that doesn't look like skin. And most waiters rarely get more than two glances from their patrons.

July 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Tattoos make me think of hepatitis. Hepatitis makes me think I want to eat somewhere else.

Note to those considering tattoos: think long and hard about participating in what is nothing but a fad, whose results will last for decades and look worse with time. And make sure you get them, if you must, in a place that can be covered: your chest, upper shoulders or as s are probably fine, because then no one else has to look at them under most circumstances, and both office and restaurant dress codes can (or should) ensure that they are normally covered.

July 17, 2013 at 8:33 am | Reply
    • RC

Phobia much?

July 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  25. Sky

Speaking from foodservice, we have blue bandages that are waterproof and metal detectable. The reason we're not wearing clear bandages is that, so in the event that it does fall off, it's easily visible in the food so that we can dump that batch before it ever gets to you and make something else. Food safety and health code rules prevent us from wearing clear bandaids, so "discretion" is moot. Either you deal with the fact that service is slow because we have to send someone home every time they scrape their finger, or you just have to deal.

July 16, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Reply
    • SixDegrees

These are often mandatory for prep, but not for service or other front of the house jobs.

For wait staff, band-aids really don't bother me. I'd rather glimpse that than an open wound.

July 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  26. AllButNum6

I agree with all of them, except number 6. I'd like to see more of that.

July 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  27. MikeRyan

Ear gauges and other grotesquely large piercings are also disgusting. White people with dreadlocks really take gross to a new level.

July 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  28. tb63

I totally agree with #6. Perfume and cologne are offensive. They make my throat close up and give me an instant headache.

July 16, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • Liberal Stooge

Especially patchouli. That stuff's nasty.

July 16, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  29. Walker

BO! Add BO to the list. We went to this highly praised hippie place in Portland right near Reed college...our waitress aside from wearing a take top and show off her underarm hair (a little gross) smelled bad. I mean my wife and I held our breath every time she came by which was often. She was offensive and it ruined the meal. I don't care how hippie you are, ya can't stink serving food!

July 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Reply
    • tom

well said

July 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Reply
    • There Is No Spoon

Er... You went to a hippie place in Portland... Are you trying to be funny and failed, or are you a complete moron? Everything you described is 100% what you'd expect if you say hippie.

July 16, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  30. Marc

What about unkept fingernails. I had a water in Charleston, SC that looked liked he'd been digging in a garden. YUCK! Touching my plate!

July 16, 2013 at 11:51 am | Reply
    • tom

well said

July 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  31. Walter Adams

#5 bothers me because body piercing makes me feel nauseated. I consider it self-mutilation. Add tattoos to the list of what I don't want to see on wait staff, and for the same reason.

July 16, 2013 at 11:48 am | Reply
    • Kathleen M Isabell

I'm significantly tatted and have been turned down from two jobs because of my tats. I think that's ridiculous for anyone to judge or predict whether people will be offended by my ink. If you are offended by ink or piercings, then choose businesses where the staff meet your lily-white discriminatory purist standards.

July 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Reply
      • palintwit

Have you tried applying at Chick-fil-A ?

July 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Reply
      • GTee

And as you've already pointed out, you're not getting hired so the majority of places prefer to not have to deal with it. Even the Japanese gangsters would tattoo discreetly. Full body work but not arms, neck, or head. What you do in private, keep private. If you want to make a statement, expect to be judged. Nothing wrong with making choices, just don't expect preferential treatment because of it.

July 16, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Reply
        • UmWhat

I'm not sure where you got that anyone was looking for preferential treatment. Looks like people just want to be treated the same as everyone else despite choices that have no effect on anyone else. Also, no one is forcing anyone to watch a person get their tattoos, so it is done in private. But a tattoo is not lingerie. So long as it's not offensive, what's the difference between a tattoo and a poster or a bumper sticker?

Though it does get annoying to hear tattooed people complain about not getting jobs. As unfair is it is to be judged for something that absolutely has nothing to do with their ability to perform on the job, they know what expect and should be prepared. This isn't a new concept, life isn't fair, and we have to live with our choices.

August 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
      • Restaurant customer

I'm paying for the food and, as the customer, I get to dictate certain conditions of the service. And I don't want someone who looks like an escapee from the circus sideshow serving me.

You should have thought about the limitations all that ink would impose on your future life before making your face look like a checkerboard. Go try applying at a fortune 500 company and see if you get any job other than janitorial, mail room, or warehouse. If you get hired at all.

July 16, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Reply
        • dman0001

People who decide to have visible tattoos need to realize that there are some professions they it wont matter, but some professions that it will matter. Style industry its more trendy and acceptable for piercings- business and customer service industries – like restaurants – not so much. Do what you want, but i get to do what i want with my money as well. Your rights to have them do not supercede my rights

July 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
      • tom

That's exactly what a lot of people do.

July 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Reply
      • Ally

Kathleen, I agree that it's ridiculous how many people still hold on to the old idea that tattoos are a taboo thing. But the fact remains that this stigma is still alive. Therefore, anyone who chooses to get visible tattoos is acknowledging the fact that they don't care if they are judged because of it.

I have several tats myself, but they are all covered by normal office attire. I believe the stigma is going away as the older generation dies off. We just need to be patient.

July 17, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  32. palintwit

At Chick-fil-A they're usually missing most of their teeth.

July 16, 2013 at 11:46 am | Reply
    • There Is No Spoon

And brain cells

July 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Reply
      • VladT

...but funnier and more up to date political humor, so I will still eat there

July 17, 2013 at 7:04 am | Reply
  33. Jeremy

Hold on a second... I agree with most of the above, but first of all, a bandaid is not a fashion statement, its to keep a cut from bleeding... the alternative is a server bleeding on a customers food, which is far worse than a diner seeing a bandaid on ones hand! #2 If a server wants to wear a piercing anywhere on their face, more power to them. The odds of a lip/eyebrow/tongue ring falling out into food are extremely low... Maybe in 1980 this would seem too "edgy" for some... but its 2013, pierce away!

July 16, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
    • Kathleen M Isabell

Thank you.

July 16, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Reply
    • RC

Exactly. These people seem to think they're going to catch something from a tattoo or piercing.

July 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  34. mattk

#6 gets them better tips
    if #5 bothers you, you need to get out of the 1950s and join us in the year 2013.

July 16, 2013 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • D J

#5? REALLY??? welcome to the 21st century!! if you have a problem with your waiter having a piercing or any other BODY ART EXPRESSION, then you need to move to an island... I think #5 is discrimination....

July 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Reply
      • Definition Police

dis·crim·i·na·tion /disˌkriməˈnāSHən/Noun
        1. The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
        2. Recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

*buzz* Wrong answer. It's not prejudicial, it's company policy. Don't like it, go find another sandbox to play in. If you have body art, how can I tell if you've bathed recently (barring obvious B.O.)? While I encourage self expression, if you're covered in tats, you look dirty and there's no place for that in the restaurant serving industry.

July 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Reply
        • RC

What the hell does body art have to with bathing? That's the most phobic thing I've ever heard.
          Yeah-sorry about the hyperbole....

July 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
      • dman0001

Discrimination – nope – not at all – they made the choice to pierce or tattoo – they must realize there are consequences to actions – - If i was a business owner – especially if I had a restaurant – You can apply but I have every legal right to say no- not going to hire you.
        Remember 99% – your rights dont trump the rights of the 1%.

July 16, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  35. ryan

Bandages are supposed to be bright and attention grabbing. That way if they do somehow end up in the food, they are seen and the food is discarded, hopefully before the customer ever gets it. A bandage is supposed to be covered with a little finger condom.

July 16, 2013 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • Brian

I'm not sure about every state, but in GA it is a healthcode requirement that the bandage be bright and visible (usually a bright blue color) and covered in a "finger condom" if possible. If the server had a clear bandage how would you see it when it falls off into your salad?

July 16, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Reply
      • D J

very good point!!

July 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  36. trm0423

Stupid article! Waste of space!

July 16, 2013 at 11:22 am | Reply
  37. Lenny

I'd never ever complain at # 6.

July 16, 2013 at 11:09 am | Reply
  38. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Someone needs to manscape more than his neck. Nasty.

July 16, 2013 at 10:48 am | Reply
    • hamzazaie256

Howabout he manscapes if you loose some damn weight.

July 16, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Reply
      • Spell Chequer

Even if you lose some weight.

July 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  39. Jerv

Photo # 2 is repulsive.

July 16, 2013 at 10:41 am | Reply
  40. MMW

What about the waiter who has sweat dripping off his forehead? Gross!

July 16, 2013 at 10:34 am | Reply
    • tom

yuk

July 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Reply
    • Patrick Dickerson

To be honest, waiters try really hard to look like they're not breaking a sweat, but as they are in the kitchen/food pick-up area that is pouring out heat and running around filling customers obnoxiously complicated orders, one sometimes can't help the fact that they've broken a sweat. And most people will freak out at you if you take the two minutes to wipe off and freshen up, because you weren't at their table doing their next unrealistic request.

July 17, 2013 at 2:08 am | Reply
      • VladT

I sense no biasness in your comments.... ;)

Mentioning "unrealstic" twice in terms of customers doesn't demonstrate any bitterness

July 17, 2013 at 7:02 am | Reply
  41. tAnthonyS

I agree with all of them EXCEPT, of course, #6.

July 16, 2013 at 10:30 am | Reply
  42. SixDegrees

Let's face it: dress standards have fallen over the decades. It was once common for everyone to wear a suit and tie to work. Casual Fridays changed all that; one could then show up in a sport coat and loafers once a week, but that trend slowly spread throughout the rest of the week, with Fridays now allowing jean and polo shirts. The trend continued, to the point where today even the most professional offices sport employees decked out in cargo shorts and AC/DC T-shirts all week long; I suppose Fridays will soon become "Pants Optional" day.

One way to combat this would be to begin a reverse trend of "Dress-up Fridays", where people wear, for instance, jeans without holes in them or shirts with a semblance of a collar.

As far as restaurants go, however – that shouldn't be the server's decision, and therein lies the problem. Dress codes are set by restaurant management, which should be taking steps to ensure that everyone is in compliance with whatever standards the establishment has.

July 16, 2013 at 10:24 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I agree. Nothing sharper than a waiter, even waitresses, dressed up in a shirt and tie.

However, I think it should be perfectly OK in any "office environment" to remove your tie if you are hot. Nothing worse than a tie when it's 100 degrees. For example, I am constantly fighting with a co-worker (a 50 year old lady that weighs 109 pounds by choice) over the thermostat. She'd have it at 76 degrees in the office if she could (which I've come back from lunch to find), to which I turn it back down to 71 or 72. Then she complains about being cold.

I'm in pants, long sleeve collared shirt, and a tie. I can't take any of this off. She can put a sweater on or wear pants instead of a flimsy skirt – or both. Or stop your liquid diet, get some meat on your bones, and improve your circulation. She's a weight freak.

/rant

July 16, 2013 at 10:33 am | Reply
      • Sir Biddle

HA!! Nice visual. reminds me of something my Dad used to say growing up.

"Don't touch the thermostat! If you're cold, put a sweater on!"

July 16, 2013 at 11:06 am | Reply
        • AleeD®

I have this battle with hubby all the time. If I'm too hot and take off all my clothes and still am hot, the temp gets turned down. He can put on a parka to warm up. It's why I do nekkid housekeeping. [lick finger, touch hip "Tssssssss!"]

July 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
  43. Todd

In short, nothing to distract the customer.

July 16, 2013 at 10:20 am | Reply
  44. Josh

How come the "pits" picture, it is showing off, instead, chest hair.

Though, I would think that chest hair would be the man equivalent to boobs, and should fall into a uni-sex variant of the "In-Yo-Face Cleavage" rule.

July 16, 2013 at 10:20 am | Reply