Coffee klatsch
July 15th, 2013

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic.

So, regulars: note a slight change of wording above. Since daily commenting frequency has gone down, we're going to try a little experiment and post a Klatsch on Monday, for use all week. You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/. If things start to heat back up over the summer, we'll go daily again.

Personally, we've really enjoyed the flow of conversation this past couple of weeks, because conversations have been able to continue for people who don't visit every day - but it's a work in progress and we're always listening.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Weeds

God Bless Frozen Strawberry Daiquiris. Soon we will have another "sacrifice" to the great god, Blendar. We will throw fresh/frozen fruit, juices, spirits and ice into his chasm. We will dance and electrify him/her (there is a debate at this very moment) and if our offerings are good enough, the great god Blendar (bless his chilly soul) will grant us his blessings of frozen goodness. All hail the great god Blendar!

July 20, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
  2. JBJ

Rental would be the way to go here (the wheelchair, not the diapers)...

July 19, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
  3. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Working out of different location today, almost forgot my music notes.

JOKE OF THE DAY:

Woman Sues, Lack Of Sex Drive

A recent article in the Kentucky Post reported that a woman, Anne Maynard, has sued St Luke’s hospital, saying that after her husband was treated there recently, he had lost all interest in sex.

A hospital spokesman replied, "Mr. Maynard was actually admitted in Ophthalmology – but all we did was correct his eyesight."

July 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
  4. Jdizzle McHammerpants

This is just sad. 'MERICA

July 19, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  5. JBJ

OK, after Jdizz completely burst my bubble, I'll go back to work now... *sigh*

Have a good afternoon.

July 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm |

=(

Save dat monies!!!!

July 18, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
      • JBJ

Plan B – If ever in need of adult diapers, find nearest bridge, hold hands with Jdizz and ....

July 18, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Or you can buy them from me. We sell those here, too. We can have wheel chair race to the bridge. We rent and sell those here, too.

July 18, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
  6. JBJ_Question of the Day

Happy Turdsday everyone! Yes, my Dr. Hogly Wogly experiment yesterday was underwhelming, I will have to wait to go to Nancy's BBQ in Sarasota, FL in a few weeks! Now for the question:

How much do you need to retire (not in brisket RH)? Personally, do you have a figure in mind??

I seem to be thinking about this A LOT lately...hmmm.

July 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Weeds

All depends on your lifestyle and how you want to live. To get an idea wrapped around your head, If you had a million dollars in investments with an annual net of 0.4%, you'd have $40,000 to spend. Don't cash out your investments until you approach the point where you will need full time care because basic assisted living can easily cost $60,000 a year and and does not include any additional medical costs.

You think raising a child is expensive? Just wait.

July 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

About a net worth of $4-9 mil depending on when you retire.

A good question is what do you want to eat in retirement, hamburger or steak?

July 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

oops, hit post too soon.

There are many factors. Most everything you have should be paid off by then. Your goal is to be debt free for a while by then, so your expenses will be different. Inflation over the period of your retirement needs to be a huge factor in goal setting. For example, cost of living now from even 13 years ago is SIGNIFICANTLY higher, ie: gas in 2000 : $120/gal, gas in 2013: $3.75/gal. over $300 increase in a very short amount of time.

Social security recipients have been getting benefits cut, Medicare will not exist in it's current state and insurance premiums in your 80's will be in the thousands per month.

$100,000 in 1980 = about $280,000 today when you factor inflation.

Go see a financial advisor.if you're serious.

Me? I'm just going to jump off a bridge when I'm 70

July 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm |

edit:

gas in 2000: $1.20/gal (not 120)
          over 300% increase (not $300)

Typing too fast at work

July 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
        • JBJ_Question of the Day

Jdizz – Good points (except jumping off the bridge)!
          Weeds – 0.4% return, yikes. My return on a very conservative 401k avg is 5.5%, last year 10.5%, an agressive IRA is at 80% return overall on the last 10 years...
          Mary – No SSA will be relied on until later years when I'm too old/tired to travel and have fun! :)

July 18, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

You have to consider a lot of your "return" the last 6 years comes from a recovering economy that was in the tank. an average ROR is normally around 7% over a 10 year period. You'll see some unusually wild rate of returns since 2007 that make your advisor look like a genius when in reality one is either recouping what they lost in the first place, or is happening to ride the wave of crappy stocks that are returning to form again, not necessarily producing better results than 10 years ago.

So, factor in an average rate of inflation of 3.5%, your rate of return of 5.5% is actually 2%

July 18, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

A good example is the DOW ave the last 5 years. 35% rate of return/improvement when in actuality it is only 4% higher than before the crash.

July 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
      • JBJ_Question of the Day

I used to have the figure of $1 million in mind, with a rate of return of 10%, $100k a year to live on in a style I've become accustomed :), travel, etc. Now I'm thinking maybe less...

Assisted living?? Isn't that why we had kids??

July 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

You think your kid will want to wipe your azz for you?

July 18, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Mary Shannon

It depends on what you want to "do" during your retirement. If you plan to travel a lot, you'll need more $$ to support your home as well as travel. Of course, if you're not in the workplace you'll be able (theoretically) to spend less on commuting, clothing and meals while at work, but you'll also have more free time for shopping.

Whatever you decide, try to not factor social security into it since I doubt it will be around for long.

July 18, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
      • JBJ_Question of the Day

Travel is big on my "to do" list for retirement, first class and steak. My house will be paid off in about 10 years and I have a vacation home in WA (near said kids to take care of me in old age), so expenses would be minimal, except maybe healthcare....

July 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Dr. Evil

One-Million-Dollars...

July 18, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
      • JBJ_Question of the Day

Shouldn't that be ONE BILLION DOLLARS? bwwwwaaaa

July 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  7. Mary Shannon

Good morning. Thanks, Truth, yes, the humidity is up and up and so is the heat. It is currently 84 degrees with 91% humidity....swim through the air.

Congrats to House of Cards on the Emmy nomination! That's a fabulous show and I highly recommend it. Its not only available on Netflix, also on other "on demand video" vendors and its well worth it. Kevin Spacey is excellent in the lead role.

July 18, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • Mary Shannon

One more recommendation – Coppers on BBC America....another very good choice.

July 18, 2013 at 10:15 am |
      • Jerv

Yep my Pops is hooked on Coppers and He ll on Wheels. I love Spacey so I'll be checking out H of C. Thanks.

July 18, 2013 at 11:36 am |
        • Mary Shannon

Let me know what you think about H of C.

July 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Sir Biddle

Big fan of Fast and Loud and the copy cat show of it Counting Cars. Neither Emmy worth sadly.

July 18, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  8. Truth™

Good morning all, from a not-yet too warm and toasty Denver. Many condolences to those who are sweltering (nods to Mary Shannon)...How is everyone doing today?

July 18, 2013 at 8:24 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

The moderators of the 49ers.com forums suspended my account for 3 days for posting a picture of a dog sporting a pink rocket. Guess they thought it was indecent. That was my response to the news of the discovery of Cuban missiles on a N Korean ship recently.

It's a family friendly site, but I guess that qualifies as p0rn or something, lol. The moderators there are iffy sometimes. Sort of like the ModBot here. You'll see people phonetically cursing to avoid the filter and nothing happens, but someone posts something like a picture of a pile of dog crap and their account gets suspended for a few day. Some people need to loosen up. Guess I'll have to actually work today and tomorrow.

July 18, 2013 at 9:12 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I spend 3 times as much time there than I do here these days.

July 18, 2013 at 9:12 am |
      • Sir Biddle

My account on the Niners site was never approved. Guess they knew I was associated with you.

July 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Took me about 2 years and several tries myself. They deal with a lot of SPAM registrations. Seems if you put in the number 49 somewhere in your name, it pushes things through. And write a person's name the referenced you there in the box. Then they know you are a real person.

July 18, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • Jerv

Doing well and hot as a mutha. How is Miss Saigon doing??

July 18, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  9. JBJ

Hello class! I need a vote here...hubs is planning on picking up some Barbie-Q for dinner, so our choices are:

a. The Bear Pit – http://bearpitbbq.com/

b. Dr. Hogly Wogly's – http://hoglywogly.com/

Thoughts? Votes?? :)

July 17, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
    • RichardHead@JBJ

If it ain't Texas Brisket-Well, You know the rest. Barf.....

July 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
      • JBJ

Well, Dr. Hogly Wogly says Tyler Texas Barbie-Q, and The Bear Pit is from my very own Missourah, and since I can't really send hubs to Texazz today, which is it pal?

July 17, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
        • RichardHead@JBJ

HMMMMM....East Texas BBQ,versus Tri-Tip Whatever???? I'd hit the French Restaurant Drive Thru-La Jacque.

July 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
        • JBJ

You mean Jacque En Zee Baux tacos would be preferred?

July 17, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
        • RichardHead@JBJ

Merci Beaucoup-with Hot Sauce. Oh, and a Large chocolate shake.

July 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
        • JBJ@RH

Roger that, but not today...Jacque will have to wait. My unrefined Barbie-Q taste buds will do just fine with the other...hoping for the Bear Pit personally. :)

July 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
        • AleeD®@JBJ

Hogly Wogly?!? Y'all shore tawk phunnee up'air.

July 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
        • JBJ@AleeOop

Um, and this comes from your fine state with Piggly Wiggly's or is Winn Dixie? And he's a Dr. so it must be legit, right?

July 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
        • AleeD®@JBJ

Yup! And don't forget about Pubix. ^_^

July 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
        • Truth™@AleeD, JBJ, Bro RichHead

I would say The Bear Pit. Dr. Hogly Wogly is not in my PPO, and his co-pay is insane.

July 17, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
        • JBJ@Turth, RH, AleeD

Yep, I checked he's not in my PPO either... I just checked my bank acct online, and looks like I'm getting Hogly Wogly for dinner...hubs used the ATM. I'll report back tomorrow...

July 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
        • AleeD®JBJ, Turth™ & RichHd

Ha! Hogly Wogly must be on JB's PPO. ^_^

July 18, 2013 at 7:11 am |
        • RichardHead

A Hogly Wogly update from JBJ...Not that good IMHO. Well,Go figure.:)))

July 18, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
  10. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

There seriously needs to be increased DMV testing and evaluation once people reach a certain age. Some 81 year old came in today, didn't know his own birthday. He said it was Feb 32. We informed him there are only 28 days in Feb. Of course, we were curious and watched him walk out to the parking lot. Sure enough, he fumbles with some keys for 3 minutes and gets into the driver seat of a Ford Ranger. Almost hits another motorist backing out of his spot, they honk, he continues. Never saw or heard them. Drives off.

My favorite is when I'm literally YELLING at someone because they can't hear me, they sign papers where ever they feel like it because they can't see, then they get in a car and drive away afterward. These are the people killing pedestrians. Increased DMV visits are needed.

July 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • AleeD®

Agreed. After the age of say, 70, drivers should have to go thru a yearly renewal process. Those who want to continue driving would be required to submit to a practical driving test, a vision test & a hearing test. Vision would include testing both near- & far-sightedness (like a written test and reading street signs for Christ's sake) and hearing test for tones that include sirens, horns and people yelling.

That would certainly increase employment opportunities.

While we're venting, to the idiots driving during sunrise & sunset, you must have your headlights turned on 1/2 an hour before sunrise and 1/2 an hour before sunset – not just when YOU think it's light enough for you to see. If you don't see the actual sun, TURN ON YOUR F()*&^KING HEADLIGHTS! It's not because you need to see the road, it's so the other person coming out of her morning coffee stop and into traffic can see YOUR car.

Have a nice day.

July 16, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
      • MicheleG™

LIKE!!!!

July 16, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

My husband's aunt is 88. Totally whiffed the eyesight portion of the DMV test and still got her license renewed! Terrifying.

July 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • MicheleG™

LIKE!!!!!!

July 16, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
  11. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

These are the days I'm glad I work inside. Was 80 degrees already at 8am.

July 16, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Jerv

I second that. It is getting up to 95 here in Richmond VA.

July 16, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • Jerv

Some soon to be ex employee forwarded a petition to everyone in the work email directory. Thousands of people. And then had the audacity to argue with the top HR rep that copied and pasted direct from policy and procedures that this is prohibitied.

July 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
      • AleeD®

Dang. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot ...

July 16, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I accidentally did that at Wells Fargo in a way. I FWD an e-mailed EVENT within Outlook (not reply-all, mind you) to a former co-worker in another branch. The e-mail was essentially me complaining, complete with curse words, to the coworker about how different and crappy things were within the bank in WI compared to Alaska. The event was a night of staying after work to perform cold-calls, essentially telemarketing bank products.

Turns out that even though I didn't necessarily reply, the originator of the e-mail received a copy of the forwarded message. Not sure how. Anyway, I heard about it. That was a big OOPS.

July 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  12. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

So I was wondering what the big deal was about the "names" of the Asiana Airlines pilots was. So I looked and watched the news broadcast....

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

July 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • RichardHead@Jdizz

HA....It reminds me of the old times....something we would have done. They deserved to get Punked,and they said it with a straight face.

July 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Blows my mind how no one caught it before air. Must have no sense of humor.

July 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
        • RichardHead@Jdizz

Perhaps they were looking at it with a slanted point of view?

July 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
        • Weeds

The KTVU Associate Producer's name for that broadcast is Wi Tu Dum.

July 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
    • Weeds

And tell us please, who doesn't remember Robert DeNiro on Saturday Night Live reading those weird terrorist names. That entire news staff must be all belong to Scientology or something because they obviously are isolated from the real world and especially any sense of freshman humor. I tend to believe they did this on purpose to get their TV station on the map.

July 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
      • RichardHead@Weeds

KTVU has been on the air for many years. It's a Cox and Fox News Affiliate, NOT NBC. So What is Your Point?

July 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
        • Weeds

My point being, any one who watched or heard of the sketch, would have had bells going off in their heads just reading these names. I laughed so hard watching this poor news reporter and at the end of that segment her lips did twinge a bit, holding back a smile.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XMr3QO2Sbc&w=640&h=390]

July 15, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
        • Bevis@RicharHead

Uh huh huh huh. you said Cox. Do you like fish stix?

July 15, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • Sir Biddle

There is one less young intern at the NTSB currently due to this flap.

July 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
      • RichardHead@Sir Biddle

Flaps at 30 degrees........and No one has named who or whom released the names. Let's blame Jerv.:)))

July 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Yeah, the only thing I heard about an intern was some summer intern stepped outside their authority (didn't know summer interns have authority of anything) and confirmed the names as correct. Having server issues at the moment so I can't go read the article I read earlier.

July 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • MicheleG™

LOL, too!

July 15, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
  13. Mary Shannon

Good morning! Another heat wave started yesterday in the NE, this one should last all week. Strange weather all over, though, I just got off the phone with a man from France who is having 95 degree weather, too.

Have a good week!

July 15, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Weeds

You think you have it bad. My friends living in the Caribbean are telling the sun is blazing so strong that its bleaching the sun tans right off of them.

July 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
      • Weeds

stupid keyboard

July 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
      • Mary Shannon

Ahh, the Caribbean, now if I was there with the trade winds I wouldn't care about the temps, either.

July 16, 2013 at 8:47 am |
  14. NSA

" Put Down those Twinkies...We ARE Watching You " Brought to you as a Public Service announcement by The White House Transparency Group. Enjoy your week Everyone.

July 15, 2013 at 8:38 am |