June 25th, 2013

Celebrity chef Paula Deen's sons staunchly defended their mother Tuesday, saying allegations of racism are false "character assassination."

"Neither one of our parents ever taught us to be bigoted toward any other person for any reason," Bobby Deen told CNN's "New Day" in an exclusive interview with Chris Cuomo.

"Our mother is one of the most compassionate, good-hearted, empathetic people that you'd ever meet," he added. "These accusations are very hurtful to her, and it's very sad."

Bobby Deen added that he's "disgusted by the entire thing, because it began as extortion and it has become character assassination."

Jamie Deen said his parents taught him the story of his hero, baseball legend Hank Aaron, when he was a young boy. They explained that "the challenges (Aaron) had to overcome because of his color was unacceptable," Jamie Deen said.

Read - Paula Deen's sons: She's no racist

Previously:
Smithfield Foods drops Paula Deen
Paula Deen's testimony transcript
Paula Deen issues video apology, is dropped by Food Network
Paula Deen – From the frying pan to the firestorm
Hugh Acheson: Southern food beyond the butter
The cook who picks cotton: reclaiming my roots
How far has Southern food traveled since segregation?

1. Name*crymeariver

I think it's a shame we have come such a long way and certain people always like to play that f****** race card..... my daughter is Palestinian and my son is mexican...and I can't tell you how many times my daughter has been picked on ....and the majority of the time its by black people but I'm not crying a river.. regardless of the fact I love you Paula Deen and I will buy anything that you have in store and if I cant get it in the store I will email you personally and get it ...

June 29, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Reply
    • Amy

Great, your not black! Most Mexicans wish to be white anyway! If you support a racist that means your racists yourself! We are very black and proud of it.

June 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  2. Name*getoverit

they can make movies....white chicks.... and bash us in the hole movie and make us look like a simple little f****** spoiled brats but its okay for them to put on a white face well maybe we should put on a black face...so hypocritical you little to face f****** America

June 29, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Reply
    • Amy

Ah, make yourself a movie then and call it black chicks, a movie is a movie. White Chicks was not to offend no one, so what do you have to say about movies when whites used blacks for slaves? The truth really hurts, Paula is very wrong for using her racial slurs. Most white people got offended because they are racists themselves and feeling guilty like Paula Deen

June 30, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Reply
  3. Name*getoverit

I am buying everything new from Paula Deen Go paula I love you.......

June 29, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Reply
    • Amy

Oh really, there are no racists people up in Heaven, I can promise you that.

June 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Reply
    • Amy

You meant to say, GO TO HEL-, just had to correct that for ya.

June 30, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Reply
  4. yneemee

Smithfield Foods, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, QVC and the Food Network need to prohibit ANYONE working in their stores or on-air from using the C-word... they need to stop selling items called or containing the C-word... they need to stop airing any shows with recipes containing the C-word...

I find the C-word to be VERY offensive to my race....

the C-word is CRACKER

Bring Back Paula Deen !!!

June 28, 2013 at 10:05 am | Reply
  5. Bob

Read the complaint. Then see who deserves the boycott

June 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Reply
    • Name*crymeariver

nice Bob but I've dealt with racial slurs for a long time and Im white. ... so should I make a big deal?? I love you paula.........

June 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Reply
    • Name*crymeariver

pathetic Bob so you're saying you're perfect and you never did anything wrong.... liar

June 29, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Reply
  6. getoverit

Name just 1 black person......... just 1 that apologized for saying racial slur to white people..... thought so...

June 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Reply
    • Amy

Most black educated people like myself do not use racial slurs toward whites, and Paula only apologized to save her top sales of products and network. Us black people doesn't know she's sincere of her guilty apology. I'm for one will never buy of her baked goods again, and the sons of Paula Deen told a bold faced lie like anyone would expect them to! Paula said just what she meant to say because she is racists, if not, she would never ever said what she did toward blacks!

June 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Reply
      • Name*crymeariver

if I could get a dime for everytime I've been bashed I'd be a f****** millionaire and I'm white......... my daughter is Palestinian and my son is Mexican... I guess certain people just think about themselves and not about everybody else... your fake....we have come such a long way and it's a shame that certain people uses the f****** race card... they always gotta have that race card because that's all they have.......I love you Paula Deen you're like the best awesome person ever.......

June 29, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Reply
  7. getoverit

I think this whole thing is stupid cry me a river. .. black people make racial comments about white people all the time.... are their names in the headlines... nooooo.... so Not fair its been 300 years people. .. I'm sooooo done with the who said she said... I love you paula... they give chris Brown better slack...and he beats women...

June 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Reply
    • Name*crymeariver

Just what I thought People.....you can beat women but you can't get away with the N word the N word.... which means ignorant and white people simply ignorant to..... there's no getting around to it the black people always have the upper hand because they were in slavery and we were just followers.... we should get over it. . freedom of speech and I'm going to start speech in... if I want to live 300 years ago I would have never voted for a black president for that just shows how far we've come how dare anybody say anything about anybody we have come so far and you're just playing hypocrite.... two faced that's America. ..

June 27, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  8. Marcy

Dear Paula I'm a beautiful black woman and God wants us all to love everyone regardless of what they do. We are not to judge anyone,but we seldom do; i can not cast that first stone. Paula i prayed that you go off on your own like Oprah did get your own show and continue cooking. Don't give up because i truly love your show and i do miss it; the cooking channel will not be the same for me because you are no longer there.( There is no need for me to watch the cooking channel now because you're gone.) When you get your own show let your viewers known (like me) and i will then continue to watch "The Paula Deen Show" may God be with you and keep your head held high.

June 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Reply
    • Irene

It is not right to call names on anyone, black or white.. I agree.. But this is just OVERKILL!!! We have all done wrong and said things we either meant to or didn't mean to...NONE OF US ARE PERFECT AND HAVE FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD!!! Its funny to me how somethings that are soooooo much worse than this is accepted and this is blown way out of proportion... Boycott Food Network, Target, Home Depot, Walmart, Smithfield.......maybe their profits will drop drastically!!!!!

GOD BLESS YOU PAULA...THIS TOO SHALL PASS.... SATAN IS ON A ROLL BUT HE WON'T WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 28, 2013 at 11:23 am | Reply
    • Name*getoverit

Shut up cry me a river

June 29, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  9. Kay

The ones coming down on Paula so hard must be rejoicing that all the attention is directed at her and gets the attention off of YOUR past inappropiate behavior.

June 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  10. Fromthedeepsouth

Racism is like a devastating fatal storm. It leaves behind so much hurt, pain, debris, and confusion. That requires a lot of time, effort, love, compassion, and understanding to address. While we are living in the aftermath of the storms of this nation's past, we need to realize that our past has left a mark on our present. It is a mark I see manifested in the young black people who unfortunately call each other n**** to express an identity that counters the past negative use and I see it expressed by others who want to hate and who will not let anyone forget the past. This limitation of categories is where we find conflict with Paula. She is not black so she can only use it in a hateful way. I disagree. There is another mark that is reflected in past older generations of people, particularly some southern people, and that is one of indifference. They do not care enough one way or another to stop using a word that hurts. If they are not physically harming a person, they do not see the injury. Paula can have black friends. She does not hate black people. Forgive her. Trust that in time we as a nation will clean up the debris from the storms of racism that have marked us all. The response we are seeing demonstrates it is happening even now.

June 26, 2013 at 8:32 am | Reply
  11. Rainmaker

Here's the real question: Did the person who she called a n[gger come forward, or is going to be a later lawsuit?

June 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Reply
    • galet09

Yes he did. There's a news article out today, saying he was sorry that he did what he did and that he feels what she is going through is all his fault. Quite an amazing article:

June 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Reply
  12. Kelli

I have raised three boys in a neighbor where they heard other kids using the n word all the time, when I have went out to correct the kids playing basketball and using this word , they have turned around and call me a white b--. I don't understand where it is okay for them to use the n word everyday but when it is used is our own home we are consider to be wrong. This story is being blown out of control and is very stupid .. I'm a. Paula Deen fan and I have delete food network off my tv. Only because I don't understand why the people in my neighbor gets to use that word everyday and nothing ever comes to them.

June 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Reply
    • Amy

There is a big difference dear. Paula is known for a top sale chef and millions of home viewers like myself supported her all the way, and purchased her baked products in stores and to use such slurs like Paula has used toward blacks is unexplainable. I was called a nigger before for no reason by a white person and it hurt me to the core, to think of how blacks was used for slaves. So to me in a sense Paula is saying to blacks I only wanted to use blacks to make my millions, she never use not one racial slur toward her race!

June 27, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  13. Marie Ann

Woman, how racist can u be after all the blacks have done and been through for u and ur people? U must be feeling gud of yourself by now BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) ^-^

June 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Reply
  14. Tony

really Paula, in these day of age and u are still stuck in slavery mentality? u r an ungrateful B****

June 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Reply
  15. Nig

Ms.Deen's sons its ok, i would be embarrassed if my parents did something stupid like that. U guys are mad because ur mommy got caught. Its ok i get it.Thx :)

June 25, 2013 at 11:59 am | Reply
    • Amy

Thank you!

June 27, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  16. Mary

i wont judge Paula Deen by the color of her skin but by the content of her numerous characters. ms Deen is simply racist and all her supporters who have put blinders on and refuse to look back on American history, be it the south or west or whichever part of America are all RACISTS. if anybody had said any word about "Jews" we will hear no end to this.

June 25, 2013 at 11:55 am | Reply
  17. V

I find it rather Odd that this Lisa Jackson worked there for 5 years if it was so horrible. and then why wait 3 years after you quit to file a lawsuit? She owes the IRS over $63,000.00 The claim shows what Lisa states happened, does not mean it is all true. I think her and her attorney added Paula because that is where the fame and Money is.

June 25, 2013 at 11:37 am | Reply
    • Elaine

I think you're right, sounds like a very logical explanation. It would not surprise me if this would be the case as it happens to often nowadays.

June 26, 2013 at 4:26 am | Reply
  18. marykayabblett

Reblogged this on marykayabblett and commented:
    I AM A FOOD BLOGGER AND AVID PAULA DEEN FAN FROM THE BEGINNING..I DON'T LIKE THE DIRECTION THIS IS ALL HEADING BUT I REMAIN A FAN! Marykayscatering.com

June 25, 2013 at 11:14 am | Reply
  19. Really?

Tempest in a teapot. This is all a campaign on the part of the liberals to get the IRS, Benghazi, Snowden, and the many failures of the Obama administration out of the news.

June 25, 2013 at 11:11 am | Reply
    • BillyKitten

You are right, but I bet most people on this site do not realize this. I challenge everyone here to check out http://www.InfoWars.com and find out what's really going on, because this is just a small window into what is actually happening.

June 25, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  20. Gee Renee

EXTORTION???? This document (the actual complaint) http://dld.bz/cFpvH sure doesn't sound like extortion to me . It sounds like Racisim, Bigotry, Sexism, and Discrimination was a COMMONPLACE occurrence within Paula Deen's business. These boys are just trying to save face, cause the TRUTH of who their Momma is has come out, and they are trying to salvage as much of their empire as they can!!

June 25, 2013 at 9:59 am | Reply
  21. jeannettesmyth

extortion? by an employee who alleges she was sexually harassed by deen's brother and business partner?

June 25, 2013 at 9:13 am | Reply
  22. Karl

SUPPORT PAULA – BOYCOTT FOOD NETWORK

June 25, 2013 at 9:11 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

This is the dumbest thing I've read so far today.

June 25, 2013 at 10:20 am | Reply
    • Mel

Paula has admitted to her racist ways and apologized, the KKK can continue to support her, the rest of us will BOYCOTT PAULA and SUPPORT FOOD NETWORK. Her sons are merely trying to protect their finances.

June 25, 2013 at 10:26 am | Reply