June 25th, 2013

Advance orders for Paula Deen's new cookbook have surged since the Food Network and Smithfield Foods axed her for using a racial slur.

Orders for "Paula Deen's New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up" surged on Amazon by nearly 1,300% in the last 24 hours.

The cookbook was ranked 115th on Tuesday, compared to a ranking of 1,592nd on Monday

"Paula Deen's New Testament" is not available until October. Deen's agent did not immediately return a message from CNNMoney about the book sales.

Scripps Networks Interactive's Food Network announced June 21 that it would not renew Deen's contract after reports emerged that she admitted, during a court deposition in May, using racial slurs.

Read - Orders for Paula Deen cookbook surge

Previously:
Smithfield Foods drops Paula Deen
Paula Deen's testimony transcript
Paula Deen issues video apology, is dropped by Food Network
Paula Deen – From the frying pan to the firestorm
Hugh Acheson: Southern food beyond the butter
The cook who picks cotton: reclaiming my roots
How far has Southern food traveled since segregation?

Posted by:
Filed under: Cookbooks • Paula Deen

1. Heather

Does anyone know where I can purchase her New Testament cook book due out in october? Apparently its #1 on Amazon but I can't find it on there.

August 5, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
  2. Fill

The #1 best selling book on Amazon now just returns a 404, wow.

June 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • Fill

Correction, it now cycles back to the top best sellers list. Amazon is having a tough time of this it seems!

June 28, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
      • Fill

Paula's cookbook at Amazon that is currently #1 in Book sales is going to disappear in... 1... 2... 3...

June 28, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
        • Fill

WOW! It's gone! I was kidding.

June 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
  3. Fill

It is now ranked #1 on Amazon, and was just cancelled by the publisher!

June 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • RichardHead

Please state your source as to the cancellation?

June 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
      • Fill

No source is needed, this is truth. Look it up!

June 28, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
        • Steve

That's what "source" means. Where do you look it up?

July 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • Parker

It appears most of her business relationships are ending. Food Network won't renew her contract. Smithfield Foods has dropped her as spokesperson. Ceasars Ent. has closed her restaurants in their casinos.WalMart,Sears,Kmart,Home Depot, Target,Walgreens,JC Penney have ended their relationship w/ her. Noro Nordisk has dropped from her multi million dollar contract as their spokesperson. Ballantine Books has ended their relationship as publisher of her cookbook(s).
      QVC is pausing their contract w/ her and phasing out her merchandise

June 28, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
  4. KY Girl

Good for her! All this lopsided hypocrisy is nauseating and sickening.

June 27, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  5. Ryan

First, let me start by saying that I give Paula Deen my full support. I think it is beyond disgraceful what is being done to her. Everywhere I look, I see that the public opinion polls show people are divided on how they feel about Deen. The half that does not support her, with no regards to race, or color really need to ask themselves why? I am not a perfect person, I come from a place where racial tensions have run high in the past. Although I have many African American friends which I would give my very life for, I have found myself with the "N" word at the tip of my tongue in the past. The fact of the matter is, whether it is the 'N" word or not, I will guarantee those out there who want to chastise, and destroy Mrs. Deen, whether they have used the "N" word or not, that they have felt anger towards another culture or race, and whether they have said it out loud, or thought about saying it does not make a difference, we are all guilty of prejudice of one form or another against our fellow man. I am a white man, and I cannot tell you how many times that I have been called a "Cracker" among other names by others. What is the difference? There is NO difference, it was said out of ignorance, anger, and insensitivity. As long as we have people out there such as the "PHONY REVERENDS" like Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson to name just a couple, and the groups they are associated with, such as the NAACP, who are nothing more than bigots "wolves who come clothed as sheep" whose whole purpose is to inflame tensions between the races, because lets be honest, if there was no tension they would have no purpose and therefore be unemployed. I can't tell you how many times I have heard many of these leaders use racially charged, and racially insensitive comments on live tv, heck go to youtube and watch a few videos. They throw the word "Cracker" around all the time, and we all know that Cracker is the African American's equivalent of the famous "N" word. But I don't see the media chastising them for their ignorance, hatred, and lets call it what it is: RACISM! No they are given a free pass, and they continuously play the race card whenever they are scrutinized. Let me tell you all something, this might sting a bit, but since I am a straight shooter, and do not like to mince words, I will put it this out there: Years ago, down south a group of stupid, hateful, ignorant, racist white men thought it would be a good idea to form a brutal, violent, nauseating group known as the KKK, whose sole purpose was to preach racism, inequality, and physical violence against their fellow brothers and sisters based on the color of one's skin. The modern day NAACP is very similar to this group with the exception of how they go about their business, they don't lynch you in the physical sense, they do it through character assassination, with the help of the modern day media, and all of this is considered totally legal. Wake up America, and I am saying this to all the races who call America their home. We have become a nation of tight ended politically correct crybabies, who have the mentality it is ok as long as you don't get caught. Just admit that you all have felt prejudice or hatred towards your fellow man at one point in your life, repent, and ask for forgiveness, learn from it and move on. Oh, and just remember that what goes around always comes around, tomorrow it may be your turn on the hot seat, so be careful in how you judge others, because your judgment will come soon enough........

June 27, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  6. Cathy

JUST ordered Paula Deens cookbook. Praying for you and this mixed up world.

June 27, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  7. Sandy

And take the George Zimmerman case, he's part Hispanic, and one black guy or two got away with PUBLICLY calling George a "wheat cracker". What BS is that? Paula is no more guilty than every person alive at one time or another.

June 27, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • Just me

Amen to that!

June 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
  8. Luis S

most black people don't care that much for white folk anyway. They're taught from an early age not to trust white folk. Whites go out of their way to show how tolerant and politically correct they are towards people of color. There's plenty of racism to go around but it only seems to effect the comments of white people. I'm sick and tired of all these one sided attacks on whites by pandering white people who want to show the world how racially tolerant they are. I will bet you they all live in Lilly white neighborhoods because they don't want to live in "bad" areas.. You figure it out, I have.

June 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • Jan

Heck of a post! I feel the exact same way, that racism only works ONE way, against white people! Blessings!

June 27, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • Bollocks

You keep thinking that while you read and make the recipes from the book that mostly originated from black slaves. Her saying the N word was wrong. For you to defend her is also wrong. Whatever example you use where other minorities are also on the receiving of abuse does not make it right.

June 27, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
  9. SB1790

Bad press didn't seem to hurt Martha Stewart. I think that the people bashing Paula aren't probably her market demographic anyway. I think this story might have the opposite effect of endearing her fan base to her even more. Should she have said what she said? Probably not. However, I'd wager there aren't many Americans who can guiltlessly throw stones at her either. Most everyone has said or thought something racist. I think she's being singled out because she's a white woman from the South and it's trendy these days to be politically correct when it comes to media stories. It'll all blow over at some point and she'll bounce back as strong as ever.

June 26, 2013 at 9:36 am |
  10. kathi

I blame it on a puritanical culture based on shunning people. And she is a woman. There is a double standard. I asked my husband if he would fire a man who swore or used curse words or racially tainted words. He said NO, of course not. But a woman- that is a different story.Also, it is like a group of 8 year old girl scouts deciding to shun another little girl "We don't like her, huh?"

June 25, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
  11. Nick

Good for her- and its not because of the comments she made- which I believe she admitted to and apologized for. Its the hypocrisy of the left and the media in general for picking and choosing who to RUIN. Why is that nobody talks about rap, videos, movies, TV shows and everyday brothers calling each other n****r EVERY DAY!!!!!!!! If it is that touchy and sensitive you would think someone would stand up and want to put a stop to it.
    You dont hear Spanish degrading themselves as w******s, chinese calling each other g***s, and on and on- but once again the liberal elites know better. And lets not even get started on Bill Mahrer, Jesse Jackson, and the King of all Racial Pimping Al Sharpton. Look up some of their quotes over the years- not sure if they have been dragged through the mud on ANY LEVEL. The hypocrisy is simply fascinating- but this is CNN we are talking about.

June 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • Thinking things through

Frankly, I don't think the Right is immune to their own hypocrisies, either.

June 26, 2013 at 7:08 am |
  12. Krandal

I bought three of her books myself.

June 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
  13. ivanoiurares40

Reblogged this on TheSlashDash.

June 25, 2013 at 1:47 pm |