June 25th, 2013

iReporter Patrick Tull of Lumberton, New Jersey, responded to the controversy over Paula Deen's use of racially-charged language with the video above.

He told iReport producers that he felt compelled to share his thoughts, "Because it has gotten out of control."

"I thought it was something she recently said, not something way in the past," he continued. "The question is, who hasn't used the "N-word" in one form or another? The context may be different in various environments but its use is not cool as far as I'm concerned. So I felt the need to share my view on the issue because it has gotten out of control.”

Weigh in on the controversy in the comments below, or via the CNN iReport assignment "Sound Off."

Previously:
Paula Deen – From the frying pan to the firestorm
Hugh Acheson: Southern food beyond the butter
The cook who picks cotton: reclaiming my roots
How far has Southern food traveled since segregation?
Old world ingredients you should know and use from the South

Posted by:
Filed under: iReport • Paula Deen • Video

1. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Where Did The N Word Come From?
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFnF1c2Tbfw&w=640&h=360]

July 2, 2013 at 10:16 am |
  2. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Where did the N-word come from?

July 2, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  3. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWfeBHEpck&w=640&h=360]

July 1, 2013 at 2:00 am |
  4. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

July 1, 2013 at 1:51 am |
  5. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Paula Deen Still Haven't Apologized Yet [according to TheAdviseShow host]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

July 1, 2013 at 1:49 am |
  6. kay

I think Paula has the right to freedom of speech as guaranteed by the constitution. So what if she used the N-word in her past. How many of us have not used a single term that’s offensive to one person or the other? Frankly I find it way more offensive when some black men refer to females as bitches or hoes, but are we up in arms about that? We need to stop this witch hunt. How dear we try to tailor the right to freedom of speech to meet our specification? Why is it ok for some people to use the “N-word” and it’s not ok for others? Why is it ok for us to use that word in songs but get offended when people of other race sing the lyrics? Oh Please! Sure a discrimination case is pending against Paula. That’s right PENDING. She’s hasn’t been found guilty of anything yet; so what people are huffing and puffing about is what she said years ago. I guess innocent until proven guilty only apply to some people. There is far too much other crap going on in this country that needs our attention than if Paula used derogatory terms or not. We cannot put a pause on people’s freedom of speech. It boils down to respect and you cannot make someone respect you if he or she does not. Freedom of Speech is the right of every citizen of America. Oh, just in case you’re wondering, I’m black.

June 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
  7. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Paula Deen and Aaron Hernandez: A Tale of Two Celebrity Endorsers

June 30, 2013 at 2:55 am |
  8. belle

How about we start with the man in the mirror? Are any of us the same as we were 30 yrs ago?

June 29, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

This is not just about words 30 years ago. Its also about a pending racial discrimination lawsuit too. There seems to have been a history of really bad stuff in the workplace. Never a good thing.

June 29, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
  9. belle

black on white crime mobs or otherwise .. http://youtu.be/8XBExloL9y8 .. http://youtu.be/o2Ykj92c9v8 .. http://youtu.be/AZeQzxYlwkg .. http://youtu.be/MhAS22YHP_o .. http://youtu.be/fRh48AdAS1A ..Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for Thursday, June 27, 2013

P2+ (000s) 25-54 (000s) 35-64 (000s)
    Total Day
    FNC 1,118 227 473
    CNN 496 159 211
    MSNBC 396 118 185
    CNBC 148 51 89
    FBN 51 8 26
    HLN 659 243 345
    .. look at cnn's ratings, they dont report the news and ppl are going else where.. just saying

June 29, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

So should we start a "race war" because some idiots decide to attach a pregnant white lady? How about this video?
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb24Pal6i1E&w=640&h=390]
      There is no shortage of atrocities happening in America. It's a national epidemic. Question is, "how can we stop the hemorrhaging?"

June 29, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
  10. RichardHead@Truth

Why Don't You Try and think up a New screen Name instead of STEALING an Original Posters Name? I'll Tell You Why-Your an AZZHAT that lives in Your Mommas Basement,trying to be cute and has NO idea what you are trying to Post. Get a Life you WannaBee--You WILL NEVER live up to the thoughts and expressions of my Brother.
    Kiss MY ASS WannaBee and Don't EVER Post under His Name Again. Pussy.... Sorry,Kat....Maybe NOT.

June 29, 2013 at 3:48 am |
  11. get real

(truth) I agree with you on the things you said I think Paula is being picked on. I like all races and also have a blended family I think this might teach us all something

June 29, 2013 at 3:03 am |
    • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Think about it. If you were a CEO of a multibillion dollar company, would you keep paying Paula Dean? Paula has some soul searching to do. Maybee Paula can do some things to change her image [like Martha Stewart]. Was Martha picked on too. She had millions of dollars and tried to hide 45K"? You don't know Paula and when people get that kind of money, they think rules don't apply to them. The Paula you see, is "TV Paula", not everyday Paula. "Everyday Paula" is more like the lady behind the counter on highway 69.

June 29, 2013 at 3:12 am |
  12. damn straight

You know I watched a show called taboo and it told about a black man going to kkk meetings sitting in and watching the practices which are not right he wants to change there minds balls of steel he has these meetings were way out in the middle of no where my ? Is could a white man go walk down the street in Compton?

June 29, 2013 at 12:36 am |
    • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

That's a great question because white people walk in Compton all the time to score crack cocaine. Why should a black man be scared to attend a meeting full of white people. Are we whites that barbaric to tar and feather someone just because they're black? Would we drag a black person behind a car for no reason? How about put a burning cross in front of a family's yard? Personally, I don't identify or could I fathom knowing anyone capable of doing such heinous acts against people for any reason. Whites of the South are like the children of WWII era Nazis. They may not have actively participated but they aren't that far away from the atrocities to claim ignorance.

June 29, 2013 at 1:01 am |
      • truth

IM saying the darkest part of American culture are the kkk or skin heads this man is trying to change the worst of the worst he has 2 robes they gave him because he made them see his point of view my point is white people look at those people meaning kkk (haters) as trash because they are but I wanna know why is it black people have neighbor hoods a white person may not enter?? Why Shays the diff?

June 29, 2013 at 1:11 am |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

It's not like blacks had a choice where they wanted to live in America and whites can enter any neighborhood they chose. Its usually the other way around. What is this black doing in m neighborhood? Heard of Trayvon Martin? A kid walking home and brutally gunned down with Skittles and ice tea? I think your question is rhetorical in nature but the cold hard truth is more chilling. Blacks are afraid of white people because the consequences are more severe. Two whites still don't make it wrong.

June 29, 2013 at 1:25 am |
      • truth

IM white and id be afraid to attend and you can not tell me a place were signs are posted cops won't go let alone a white person it isn't fair I don't know any neighborhood a white person will look at you and say to their black friends don't go there in fear of bring harmed and it would take a crack head to go there my friend which is black Said white people have no business there it isn't safe my question is why we are suppose to be same that's what my parents taught me?

June 29, 2013 at 1:23 am |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Let's face the truth. The KKK and skinheads are criminals masked behind hate. Go to a black neighborhood and you won't find hate but you will find drug selling gangs because they don't want/have/will pursue an education. You [or I] could never know what it would be like to come from a lineage of slavery. To know that your women were raped, families separated, men killed without a second thought. Sounds like WWII Germany to me. Before we say they're this and that and why can't we do this to them. Think about what 500 years of slavery would do to any people. Look at South Africa. Think things have changed there? Not really but why not? They had Mandela. Can't he change 150 years of apartheid? Shouldn't the blacks be happy, Obama is in office. You want answers, get outside of your closed circles and befriend someone of a different culture than your own and then you might see a different perspective in life.

June 29, 2013 at 1:36 am |
        • truth

My family is so mixed that's funny lol ya my family was Indians and Irish my granddad is Jewish his father was numbered my family land was taken and my Irish family came over to America and was treated like dirt I am thank ful for what THEY suffered because IM here in the land of opportunity maybe if finger pointing stop alllllll the time we as a nation could grow

June 29, 2013 at 2:01 am |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Something to think about...

African Americans were suppose to a mule and 40 acres as reparations.

Never happened.

Natives Americans at least get a check every month.

Irish, they ended up being the police in Boston and having massive influence on the east coast [don't feel sorry for them]

Mob attacks on whites?

Wow, where do you live because I'd guarantee if that was true it would be on CNN.

June 29, 2013 at 3:17 am |
      • truth

No bull I call black people afraid of whites are you kidding me then whats going on with these mob attacks on white people and yes I did watch about that young man which is horrible!!! I don't want anyone ever hurt and feel sad for his family most of all his mother. The problem is I feel a white person has to eat crow due to long ago I didn't do it don't believe in it and I tired of double standards like the (n) word I like rap love black comedy adore madea but is ok for one race and not another I hear cracker on TV Jew Guido Mic but I don't see people freaking out about it why can black people

June 29, 2013 at 1:51 am |
        • truth

This nation had grown alot because our ancestors made it possible I feel no Shame or guilt for the past again us white now wouldn't do that equality means same for all IM over the slavery thing its a scary part of history a for many races not just black there is many years of suffering for Asians Africans Muslim I just don't hearthose races freaking out

June 29, 2013 at 2:17 am |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Yeah, everybody says that we all have it tough but you know that's not true. You mean to tell me that people that chose to immigrate here have it as tough as African-Americans? There is no group of people that went through as much hatred and racism in America than the African-American. They were OWNED like you own your dog. Matter of fact, you treat your dog better than whites treated their slaves. I get so tired of people trying to equate their difficulty to what black in America have gone through. Only people who can claim t have anything close would be Jews and even they were not slaves for over 500 years. If it wasn't for federal law, blacks today would still be fighting for basic rights as human beings. Much like how gays are fighting for their right to be married. 20 years from now, we will all think wtf was wrong with society to think to people can't marry and love each other? African-Americans are pioneers and their blood gave us what we know is civil and human rights, like it or not [most of you won't like that].

June 29, 2013 at 3:07 am |
      • truth

ok lol close to Chicago and you are not hearing about it why? Look it up. I feel we are all lucky to be here regardless how we got here it been how many years? I feel white people (even though we voted a black man into office) still have to pay for long ago its bull IM done with bending to a race period black people tend to forget that white people stuck up faught and died aka civil war ,Lincoln was shot all I hear is bitching anger and again all are free here to choose were we live eat shop chances to go to collage for any color race or gender a women has never been president no one is owed anything let's put hands back in pokets get over it I believe the largest race soon is mixed! And people that think like that will be laughed at apparently whites are loving blacks alot lol

June 29, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  13. Name*truth

I thank my lucky stars I'm in America and that my Irish Indian ancestors went threw to allow me to grow up were I'm free!! however I feel white people have something called white guilt why its bull I don't see (this is how white people meet.com) or a movie called (this if for white girls) grants because the color of my skin hey a I see it we all bleed red we are all suppose to be equal right????????

June 29, 2013 at 12:18 am |
    • damn straight

Double standerds I agree!

June 29, 2013 at 12:29 am |
  14. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

How does the N-word make you feel [for those of you that need an education on the reality of how hateful this word really is]? http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/06/27/tsr-dnt-lemon-racial-language-at-zimmerman-trial.cnn.html

June 28, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • Tonya.

I want to start by saying that I don't like the "N" word and my children were raised knowing that God created all of us, no matter what our color we are all alike on the inside. I always thought that the "n" word meant a sorry person. I hear it all the time on BET and different movies where blacks are calling other blacks the "n" word and nothing is said about that. SO... why do blacks get so mad when a white person says it? I think it is disrespectful for any person of any color to call another human being the "N" word. Blacks that use that word to other blacks need to think about it... People repeat what they hear and some people hear blacks talking to each other like that all the time. I've never been a huge fan of Paula Deen; I mean I like her but I have no reason to defend her. I'm just tired of people using the racial discrimination card soooo much. There are real cases of racial discrimination that aren't getting the attention it deserves because of crap like this Paula Deen mess. For the record, I am not racist, I have best friends that I love and respect that are black, but they respect themselves enough not to use the "N" word.

June 29, 2013 at 12:23 am |
      • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

I could not agree with you more Tonya. Unlike the Jewish community, African-Americans have drop the ball on passing down the struggle of their forefathers and mothers. The enslavement, rape and death put upon them for over 500 years is being lost because their young people don't have any point of reference and the America wants to put those years under a dark sheet. Yet, we send soldiers around the world to fight for freedom and liberty?

June 29, 2013 at 1:11 am |
  15. Gene Stanfield

Grow up Get a Life an move on. 95% of all living people have made Racial Slurs. At some point. Find something
    Worth while to Waste your time on. !

June 28, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
  16. Thinking things through

I heard on the radio news on the way home that Paula Deen's new book has been dropped by the publisher, despite the large number of advance orders it has gathered (in part due, I'm positive, to the current controversy). I had thought she'd been punished far enough for words she has apologized for. I understand the reaction - I've always loathed ethnic or racial name-calling and slurs that aren't simply directed at the offending other person, point blank (ie, "YOU (specifically) are a freaking jerk!") I've never found the urge to broaden my aim to include race, gender, ethnicity, physical morphology, etc. When I am angry, it is at the person involved, directly. When this happens, I don't even NOTICE secondary & tertiary characteristics of the individual.

With this case, I have to contemplate backgrounds that do not work this way. That's fine; I can do so. I think Paula Deen has paid enough already. Her new book is supposed to give more healthful alternatives to Southern food. If I were in the publishing industry (a field I considered in my youth), I'd print her book. PRINT, not just e-print.

She was wrong to use the word she used, but come ON folks, we need to grow up faster than she does.

June 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • Thinking things through

PS: Amazon still has her book listed, but since the publisher has dropped her, there's a link to check if you want notice when the book will be published (and other details). Otherwise there is no price info, or info as to whom the original publisher was to be. The originally set publishing date is still noted, as is info regarding what the cookbook will be about. I checked the box to be notified. If someone can inform me as to whom the original publisher is, I will write them. While I am SO not a fan of ethnic/racial slurs, I think some repercussions are appropriate, but others are NOT.

June 28, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
      • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Here's a suggestion for all you Pawluh Deen supporters.

Start a "Paul Is Getting Railroaded" Facebook Page.

That way, everyone can be in the same place online and maybe share some deep fried recipes at the same time?

Who knows?

June 28, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
        • truth

We are all on the same page and seem to agree on most things read this page over.

June 29, 2013 at 2:23 am |
    • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Your comment has been the first comment that I can truly get behind. We do need to "move on" but when sponsors are paying for your brand. They don't want southern fried racism attached with the branding. Really we should be moving on from racism and racist language toward any ethnicity [for those that don't know, that includes "white people" y'all]. I've been to Georgia and even though the people are nice there, there is this undercurrent of hostility that whites have against blacks. It's unfortunate that she didn't get the memo that using the N word is bad for business.

June 28, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
      • T.

I am a Georgia girl and I can tell you this, I am nice to all people no matter what ethnicity they are, but in the past four years I have been running into more and more blacks that act different than they did before Obama was put in office. Obama isn't even all black. I was real angry to start with about the election, I personally know people that are strong Christian republicans that voted for Obama because of his skin color. And some whites are called Prejudice because they maintained their Christian values and voted republican. Explain that to me..

June 29, 2013 at 12:36 am |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Sounds like you've had a "race problem" for quite a while. My diagnosis. Find the nearest black male that you feel comfortable with and invite him "as a friend" to your next family "get together". Only then, will you see how "Christian" you really are and prove to the world that all Republicans aren't racists [they just don't like n******s].

June 29, 2013 at 12:54 am |
    • Gene Stanfield

This whole thing is Silly an a waste of time. We got gridlock,climate Change no jobs for Many an we chose to nit
      Pick what some Rich White Lady Says. Come on People, Chill. You an I both know we all have Said much Worse. !

June 29, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  17. Chris

Leave Paula Dean ALONE!!!!! She is not the only person who has used the N word-EVERYONE HAS in someway or other!!! It does not mean anything to me if you are a N you are a human being, we are all the same. God but every here on earth for a reason!!! YOU TOO!!
    LEAVE HER AT PIECE & GO ON WITH HER WONDERFUL LIFE-ARE YOU JEALOUS?? MUST BE. Shame on all of you

June 28, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

"It does not mean anything to me if you are a N you are a human being, we are all the same." Who are you? Is there such thing as an..."N"? We Americans are an interesting bunch. Paula represented a significant segment of the white female [and it seems extremely racist] demographic and little is being said about her behavior past or present? Yes, she apologized and it seemed heartfelt but did you forgive the person who just slapped you moment after the assault? The best way to deal with issues like this is to put pain where it hurts the most...MONEY. Paula screwed herself. Even if someone puts a damn gun to your head, in her twisted mind, she thinks/thought its ok to use that word because America/Americans have been using that word to describe African-Americans since they "imported" [uh, I mean enslaved them] over 500 years ago. Paula screwed Paula. So let's get that right. She thought she was invincible and Food Network would never let her go for any reason. She was dead wrong. Don't worry y'all, Pawluhh be back tho, ya hear. America believes in second chances, even if yer a red, white and blue redneck millionairess with a penchant for southern fried racism.

June 28, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
  18. Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

So what are you people crying about, Pawluh be ok...

Fallen celebrity chef Paula Deen may have lost her Food Network contract, but Wherever TV is ready to bring her aboard whenever she wants. The company that provides subscription content to smart TVs, streaming media players, mobile devices and tablets has offered Deen her own 24/7 television channel to broadcast across all devices. No word on whether Deen will, ahem, bite.

June 27, 2013 at 6:15 am |
  19. S. Lynn

I truly believe you are missing the whole point and are discriminating against one person, for whatever your beliefs are and for a word that is said everyday by millions of people. Leave Paula Deen alone.

June 26, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
  20. M. Dee

Easy for "white people" to say this and that because you're not white. I'm white and I don't even claim to know what its like to feel the pain of blacks in America. You people should be ashame and its UNAmerican to condone hate speech past, present or future.

June 26, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • S. Lynn

I do not think we are condoning anything. We are all just simply saying that EVERYONE uses language or words that is hateful. That is a simple fact. As far as the pain of blacks in America today. That is racist. Everyone, no matter what race feels pain in some sort of way, whatever their personal matter is at the time. Have you ever seen the movie "Jackie Brown" or heard the song "Golddigger" by Kanye West. That "N" word is spread throughout the movie and the song. Do you think the black people in the movie or in the song are feeling pain as THEY bring in the money?

June 26, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
      • M. Dee

Just because you hear a rapper say it in a song or you heard it in a movie guess its ok for you to use it too, right? So if you saw someone steal food from the store, it ok for you to steal food too, right? If someone jaywalks across the street, its ok for you too, right? This is the kind of ridiculous excuse people are using to defend racist language. Most of you "commenters" have never left your neighbors, state or country. You have no frame of reference except for your local church or the people you grew up around. I'm Jewish and a holocaust survivor. I've seen what real racism looks like. It was this same attitude that helped Hitler win over the German people to make it acceptable to commit atrocities. Americans...

June 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
        • jenny

To answer your analogy, if you grew up around thieves, you have a very good chance of thinking it's normal. Hearing/seeing something over and over will stick – that's why peer pressure is so powerful.
          I thought Mr. Tull's report brought up a very good point... how many people practice discrimination without saying a word? Sad, very sad to think that hypocrites get a free pass, and we punish the person who apoligizes.

June 28, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

You're right, hypocrisy is rampant and nepotism is at a all time high. Since Paula is such a "champion of good", let her be a pioneer to show all the other hypocrites what can happen when they lose perspective and decide that its ok to use racial remarks [regardless of the incident].

June 28, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
      • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

"While we appreciate Paula's sincere apologies for statements she made in her past ... we have mutually decided that it is in the best interests of both parties to part ways at this time," said Jan Jones Blackhurst, executive vice president of communications and government affairs for Caesars Entertainment.

June 26, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
  21. Who cares

I think America is full of hypocritical retards. This isn't news!! Who cares what she says and quite frankly there isn't one person on this planet who has never said some type of harmful comment to another. The people who are that upset about this need to see a psychiatrist to figure out why an elderly white woman's comments are so offensive. I'm glad it's ok for every rapper to use the word in some form but god forbid someone who was alive during integration say such a word. Get over yourselves and lets report actual news!!!

June 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • Gene Stanfield

That Says it All, thank Got there is some wisdom an truth an Reason. Now lets move on to Something worthwhile,
      Where is Gomer Pile when we need Him.

June 29, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
  22. Anne Donovan

I think what amazes me is people do not read nor realize that Paula
    Deen said the N word thirty or more years ago. Can you remember anything you might have said 30 years ago? I sure can't. I am a Yankee and now live in the South and believe me I've heard the word used much more here than I ever heard it in the North.. Doesn't mean it's right but she said it 30 some years ago and admitted she did. The politicians are given a slap on the wrist and go back to doing what they did before they were caught. Paula helped the food network become what it is today. This is ridiculous over reaction just to show the Food Network is pure and good and no one ever said anything wrong on that show. Give me a break and stop building this story to a frenzy. The media today is a joke. They become instant experts on everything. I am ashamed of Food Network and Smithfield Ham. I certainly hope some of her backers stand up for her. I'm also angry to see Ceasars drop her. They are all cowards. She has done nothing wrong and she didn't lie about it either. Would it have been better if she committed perjury?

June 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
  23. Julie

People need to calm down. It isn't like she killed anybody or stole something. She said a WORD. What happened to freedom of speech? Paula says something that i hear black people say ALL THE TIME and she gets fired. Whenever a black person says something to a white person, nobody cares, but as soon as a white says something to a black it is like WWIII. If you are going to crucify white people like this, make sure the blacks are when they say things too

June 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  24. G

What ever happened to freedom of speech? It is just a WORD! Words don't hurt people, and most people have said it at one time or another. When The N word is said by white people, it is "racist", but i hear black people say it all the time, so it can't be that offensive. And you never hear the racist things black people say against white people because everyone is all concerned about racism towards blacks. Just leave Paula Deen alone. isnt like she killed somebody or stole anything, so She didnt deserve to loose her job over a word she said, especially when others have said worse.

June 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • S. Lynn

You have hit the nail on the head. I can recall, even still today, white people are called numerous hateful names, that are abusive, and we are not turning it into a racial war. It is sad, yes, that even to this day, some adults cannot rise above the petty playground acts. It is just a word, used everywhere and by everyone, get over it and as for the people condemning her, get over yourself. Those in glass houses should not throw stones. Again, if it is such a controversial word, then have it removed from everywhere it is published and forbid anyone to use it in movies, books, dictionaries, stand-up comedy and jokes. Matter of fact, I hear plenty of African-American comics using the "N" word in their scripts. Then you see the crowd howling in laughter. But heaven forbid a white person to use the word. This double standard that people and social media are placing on Paula Deen is pothetic. Again, just leave her alone and go find someone else to pick on. I thought bullying ended on the playground.

June 26, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
      • M. Dee

To ALL you Paula Deen supporters, IGNORANCE is not bliss.

Go fry a Krispy Kreme bunned hamburger topped with racist american cheese with redneck pork bellies.

What would Paula do?

June 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
  25. proud southerner

I applaud the FOOD NETWORK for not renewing Paula Deen. She is an embarrasment to the South.
    Her racist fans are also a huge embarrasment. Racism is ugly, but its even uglier on message boards from people who are trying to defend a millionaire public figure with more racism. The punter Kluwe said it best we are a "Nation of Bigots." I love the South, but racism in the South is so deep that many people think they are not racist but they are. Its sad to hear their denials and realize they are full of crap.

June 26, 2013 at 8:54 am |
  26. Judy Wilkins

I am very UPSET with the FOOD NETWORK I am no longer a FAN There are plenty of places to get recipes (without Paula) I am done. Paula brought them a lot of money and viewers. So instead of standing by her they bale as others are doing. Paula be strong lets start another food cooking network. My quiestion is WHEN did EVERYONE become so PERFECT? I don't know anyone that hasn't said the N word or felt a point of judgement right or wrong at sometime. I known black people who are racists , and I am afaird we may see whites becoming again. Our country has worked hard to do change, but I am getting tired of the change we are going through. I support Paula the whites are becoming the minority we can't say or do anything without affending other cultures. And I am not a fan of Wendy Williams right now. Paula may have had some views but so do all of us in one way or another, if we are honest with ourselves. She is HURTING lets help her and help ourselves as well. I LOVE YOU Paula and SHAME on those who are afraid of the money they may lose or the MONEY and FAME some want to gain.

June 26, 2013 at 7:54 am |
  27. carol

Give paula deen a break everyone makes a mistake,stop picking on this woman she's getting up there in age leave her alone,hang in there paula!

June 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • M. Dee

Right, the older you get , its ok to be hateful from time to time.

Where do you people come from?

The south...

June 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
  28. linlin

This is a free country with freedom of speech. Paula did not spew hate on her cooking show. People have minds and thoughts of their own NOT dictated by corporate America! If she wasn't talking directly to you or your mother...BUTT OUT.

June 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • M. Dee

She has a right to FREE SPEECH then she prefers HATE SPEECH she should stop taking CORPORATE DOLLARS.

Oh, she got fired and disgraced so they saved her the hassle.

Can you people for once thing of the blacks that had to endure her abusive language for once instead of thinking of "poor Paula"?

As a Caucasian, It saddens me that white America is still this racist and hateful towards fellow Americans.

What is this Serbia?

June 25, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
      • Gene Stanfield

Yes, white Americe is Rachist we Elected a Black Prisident. ! My, Oh, My Shame on us ,

June 30, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  29. LynnAnn

Paula is a stand up Christian woman and should not be criticized.

June 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Gene Stanfield

You go girl. I love Paula. !

June 29, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
  30. S. Lynn

So, Paula Deen used a word years ago and is now being tracked down like a massive "witch hunt".....Hmmm! I find that very disturbing. I also find it disturbing that social media is calling this a controversy. Let's talk about true controvery with Edward Snowden. Who really cares that she said that word. I can probably bet that the same people that are firing her and dropping her endorsements have used that word at one time in there life. This is a word that has been around for YEARS and has been and is still used today by many many people of ALL races. And when I say many many people, I am not just talking about every day citizens. I am speaking of politicians, celebrities, social media personnel. What do they get, "Shhh, we shouldn't use that word. It is not a nice word." This nation has fought very hard to end the racial war and now, look at what happened years ago is creating a whole new war on racial issues. I find this whole situation, not controversy, pothetic and disturbing. One final thought, if it is such a controversial word, then why is it allowed in movies and books, etc. Really? The main focus is that she is a very successful woman and it is a witch hunt to bring someone down with true talent and a genuine love for life. There is so much negativity in this world and it is pothetic how some people want to destroy the positiveness in one person's life that is spread to some many other people. Leave Paula Deen alone and concentrate on something or someone else!

June 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
  31. Rina

I'm a 50+ black woman and I have never used the 'N' word. Wake up everyone does not use it and many of us have never used it because of what it stands for. The lawsuit implies that something inappropriate has taken place recently whether the 'N' word was used by Paula or not.

June 25, 2013 at 8:19 am |
    • M. Dee

Not sure if this is a comment or reply but Paula herself has admitted that she has used this terms openly and frequently in her deposition. It was kind of like, "down here in JoyJah, we all use that word to refer to African-Americans round her". It's how we grew up.

June 25, 2013 at 8:37 am |
      • Tullie

M.Dee, you obviously have not read Paula Deen's deposition. You might want to take a few minutes to peruse it and then you can speak a bit more intelligently about what she did say in it...or at least I would hope you can. She never said anything to her employees, she said this happened back in the 80s when she was speaking to her husband, after having a gun held to her head at the bank she was working at.

June 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Nice attempt at a sideways insult [my skin is much thicker than that]. I guess Food Network, Springfield, KMart, Target and all the other sponsors are wrong and you're right? It' not just about what she said supposedly 30 years ago. Its about a pending lawsuit of racial harassment and hostility is the reason why they're running like the plague hit town. Its about making money and when you have international brands with multinational companies, blatant racism is not good for business. By the way, I practice law so I'm very familiar with the circumstances. I really don't think Paula Deen would pass a lie detector test if she was administered and ask if she has not use the N word more recently. I really don't think she'd make it.

June 28, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • Gene Stanfield

Why don't I Believe You. ?

June 30, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
  32. M. Dee

Its hilarious that Eatocracy found 1 black person who think we should "Leave Paula Deen alone". Regardless of whatever happens, Paula Deen is gonna make out ok. She's not broke. She can start her own web series or do whatever she wants/say whatever she wants on her one time and money. When you are SPONSORED by major networks and corporations there clauses and behavior that they sign a contract to uphold. If they break those guidelines, it over guys, there is no forgiveness when you represent brands. It's a "branding issue" that most people have no clue about.

June 25, 2013 at 8:05 am |
  33. Jo Hall

It is character assassination, that is all this is. The people who have dropped her I will no longer give my time time to. She told the truth and apologized.and God has taught us to forgive. Politicians have lied and never get to the truth and have no consequences. So why are they doing this to Paula? Have none of us ever said something hurtful in our lifetimes? Get real, people? Leave Paula alone please.

June 25, 2013 at 7:49 am |
    • M. Dee

I'm NOTa God fearing person so I believe that you must pay the price when wrong is done. I'm white and I'm assuming you're white because I know too many people who don't have any African-American friends/acquaintances who just want this to go away like its an "inconvenience". Shame on anyone who thinks Paula Deen should continue to reap millions in sponsorship while she belittles, humiliates and denigrate. If we all thought like YOU, African-Americans would still be in servitude but that's ok with you right? Using the N word is as American as apple pie. Sickening.

June 25, 2013 at 7:58 am |
  34. M. Dee

Really, guess you haven't read all the heinous racial indignities Paula D. was throwing around like it was the antebellum south. Did you happen to see this, probably not?

Everybody knew who she really was but if you're white this is a part of daily life.

You don't go telling the world because somebody you know uses the N word.

She went too far this time and how she got this far tells you how pervasive this behavior is and still exist.

June 25, 2013 at 6:22 am |
    • EDP

Really. Are these quotes from the nut job that has sued Paula? Have you read her history? Seems like she is just looking for money. You ever use the term white honkey? Or maybe Cracker? Racism goes both ways. I have listened to hip hop and rap and it seems to me that there really is a double standard here.

June 25, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
      • M. Dee

As a white person, what's shocking to me is how many people are so quick to defend racism. Have we not progressed in all these years not only as Americans but as "white people" in America? Don't worry y'all, Paula be ahhright, she can go back to her hateful ways without the sponsorship of Food Network. Maybe you can catch her on her upcoming cableshow, Paula's Upside Down World Of Cooking Country".

June 25, 2013 at 8:39 pm |
        • Me

Racism definitely goes both ways. You just never hear of blacks being racist to whites because nobody cares! However, as soon as whites say something to blacks, people go crazy

June 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  35. colleen

Clinton didn't get fired....why on earth should Paula. I will not buy from any of the sponsors from companies that have dropped Paula Deen.

June 25, 2013 at 6:00 am |
    • M. Dee

Great, instead of having a decent moral compass, you chose to politicize? It was a good decision for all parties involved to step away amicable. Clinton had nothing to do with Paula Deen's racist rants...really?

June 25, 2013 at 9:02 am |
      • Me

Well its true. Obama says things like this too, and he doesnt get impeached.

June 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
      • Arkansas Mom

M Dee–I have read your comments, and to be honest, you scare me! You voice disapproval over most comments and then revert back to your own platform. Yes, we have free speech, but I think if I were around you in person, I know I would be walking the other way. It's interesting that your comments show no common sense, no sense of dignity, no sense of right and wrong. Matter of fact, you seem to be the one person who is throwing the stones! What about compassion? What about forgiveness? I have lived in the North, South, and West. I gravitate toward people who are honest, admit mistakes, show compassion, help others–regardless of race or nationality. I just wanted to mention this here along with all the other comments. I know you will come back with a one liner or something, but to be honest, I will turn the other cheek. I admire others for voicing their honest views. Just my view from someone who lives in the South. Period. Enuf said.

June 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
        • Gene Stanfield

I'd hate to share a fox hole with You. !

June 29, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
        • Jimmy Dean Sausage [aka M. Dee]

Could really careless what you think about my views. America is full of overeating, southern fried racists who would rather "go with the flow" than see/do the right thing. It's a sad commentary on the state of race relations. As far as your comment about being in a fox home with me. Tell the men [and women] I served with in combat that same statement. Just because I'm white and not a racist somehow I'm unAmerican. Go to hell.

June 30, 2013 at 2:49 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,391 other followers