June 24th, 2013

Paula Deen has been dropped by a major sponsor, Smithfield Foods, after it came to light last week that she admitted using a racial slur in a lawsuit deposition. The deposition was part of a suit filed by Lisa T. Jackson, a former general manager of one of Deen's Georgia restaurants, for sexual and racial harassment while working for Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers.

The announcement comes as another harsh blow after Food Network announced on Friday that it will not be renewing its contract with the 66-year-old cooking personality Deen, who joined the network in 1999.

Keira Lombardo, the Vice President of Investor Relations and Corporate Communications of Smithfield Foods, released this statement to CNN:

Smithfield condemns the use of offensive and discriminatory language and behavior of any kind. Therefore, we are terminating our partnership with Paula Deen. Smithfield is determined to be an ethical food industry leader and it is important that our values and those of our spokespeople are properly aligned.

Deen became a spokesperson for Smithfield Foods, the country's largest producer of pork products, in 2006.

Previously:
Paula Deen's testimony transcript
Paula Deen issues video apology, is dropped by Food Network
Paula Deen – From the frying pan to the firestorm
Hugh Acheson: Southern food beyond the butter
The cook who picks cotton: reclaiming my roots
How far has Southern food traveled since segregation?

Posted by:
Filed under: Celebrity Chefs • News • Paula Deen • Video

soundoff (1,658 Responses)
  1. 便利な バッグ カバン 欲しい ビジネスバッグ アタッシュケース

Wow, this article is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing such things, therefore I am going to tell her.

July 12, 2014 at 2:40 am |
  2. gucci outlet

这就决定了符合人类大脑认知思惟规律的文字形体才便于人们学习和使用它进行信息交换

【英超专题】莫耶斯下课后打破沉默:自豪曾执教曼联

莫耶斯被解雇后打破了沉默,莫耶斯说:“能够被任命为世界上最 除此之外 大的豪门之一的曼联主帅是我永远值得骄傲的事情,接手这支能够长时间保持稳定的球队是一个巨大的挑战,我非常享受这个过程,而且我从来没有犹豫过。”

“我始终认为作为教练在职业生涯中永远不能停止学习,这就决定了符合人类大脑认知思惟规律的文字形体才便于人们学习和使用它进行信息交换,我知道我可以从担任曼联主帅的这段经历中收获很多宝贵的经验。我依然对于带领球队进入欧冠四分之一决赛非常骄傲,同时我也非常感谢弗格森 gucci outlet 爵

April 25, 2014 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Cheap Men Nike Free Trainer 5.0

Nike Dunk High Women Nike Free Run 3 Heels pumps era about 12. Dunk was affecting Women Nike Free Run 3 seven original colorways throughout high-top variation. Every single colour presents a college golf ball crew and it is made up of 2 significant shades. Us Women Nike Free Run 3 ing the introduction involving Soak,Women Nike Free Run 3, many of the fabled package

February 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm |
  4. NYC Fitness Events

Paula Deen I hope you learned your lesson. That world has no place in our life. Lead by example stop using it.

February 2, 2014 at 12:42 pm |
  5. Candra Greensfelder

Hi,pls want to ask if there is any an individual for java,if there isn't,pls when will there be

January 5, 2014 at 9:46 am |
  6. Real Gamma-Blue 11s Online

MT Weather Projection from The weather Underground

An http://soulshane.com/wp/?p=864#comment-440782 inexpensive pressure unit in the g http://henryzp.com/?p=467#comment- ulf Gulf of Mexico provides wet season to the Gulf of mexico Coast cities on Tuesday, along with separate lower pressure application will continue to supply you with rain for your Pacific Nor http://picsays.com/2012/07/09/word-cloud/#comment- thwest.

A good

January 4, 2014 at 9:04 am |
  7. Chaussures Puma

(Reuters) With the start of the first 11 seasons in the league Nike latest KOBE 9 ELITE basketball shoes with Nike Flyknit first , and has won tw T Shirt Monster Energy o gold medals, two championship rings and four MVP trophies LeBron James will continue to be successful in the race pace, continuous improvement, and create their own glory. Figure 11 represents a positive new beginning, Spring two football players selected Nike Star b

December 7, 2013 at 4:34 am |
  8. sac hollister

the hollister france n more macho st abercrombie uff

Washington D John Erskine is set to play for the first time since Feb. 12,hollister france, replacing Jeff Schultz in the lineup. It's fine. I've done everythin abercrombie france boutique g right. I just want to get this over with. Viani Antonio D'Cunha (6.5) of Mangalore won the inter district open ch

November 28, 2013 at 3:43 am |
  9. abercrombie france

where he was golden's abercrombie and fitch pas cher roommate,abercrombie and abercrombie fitch pas cher

Baldwin of Milledgeville hired Twiggs County head coach Dexter Copeland to replace Jesse Hicks, who left for Dougherty in Albany after eight seasons during which he abercrombie france was 70 24. Copeland nine year record at Twiggs was a similar 73 32,abe

November 28, 2013 at 2:29 am |
  10. abercormbie and fitch

The Yuba market confusion, fans put together into a flashy abercrombie uk panel. what do you feel?
    now network news lasted 5 days and the Eleventh magasin hollister China (Hubei Wuhan) international automotive industry exhibition successfully concluded yesterday focal depth of 10 km. as the largest coal downstream power plants, spaccio moncler

November 25, 2013 at 5:45 am |
  11. coach outlet

300 mill true religion jeans outlet ion to

Wel louis vuitton borse l l l m. definitely not. He HAS, even so, pledged any $400 trillion support deal to the Palestinians throughout Gaza over true religion jeans outlet the louis vuitton cheap true religion jeans borse Abbas federal government. But the Abbas govt is actually located in any freeze using Hamas, so it will be c

November 25, 2013 at 5:09 am |
  12. abby

Never again will I watch Food Network, buy a Smithfield ham which I didn't like anway, and boy gosh I sure can give up Target....no problem....I believe in Freedom of Speech...or at the very least not being crucified for saying something 30 years ago and having your whole life ripped away...Oh yeah, why can that word be used in rap lyrics? Why not crucify those rappers who use it...?

July 20, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  13. abby

Freedom of speech? Where did that go? My father, grandfather, uncle and husband all fought for this country and for freedom of speech...My God people...This is America. We do still have the right to speak freely...or do we????
    She is a 66 year old lady of the South.. I do not believe anyone when asked can say they have never said something "wrong". Anyone remember that rhyme we were taught as kids that contains that word? It's scarey what is happening right here under our noses.

July 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  14. carol lester

This is pure ignorance on how this woman is being treated. The comments were made in the past and who hasn't said things they wouldn't dream of saying today. I pray that one day all the race issues will fade away. Sometimes it seems that race issues are held on to and kept alive for some peoples benefit. Paula, hang in there. God will lift you up and who ever started all of this trouble will pay for it in the end.

June 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Shafeeq

this is a word given to Black by Whites, remember that? black ppl didn't start using to word!!! But Blacks took the word and change the meaning. by the way the lawsuit was made by a white woman who couldn't take Paula's bad mouthing behind close doors. White ppl you guys are hilarious it's best to keep the word to yourself and use it how you use it behind those closed doors, but remember somebody is listening to that shit that looks like you but doesn't feel like you do. I use the word n***a everyday but my intention is not EVIL yours is. Simple Paula crying about the money not because she's sorry

July 1, 2013 at 9:54 am |
      • Renee

No it's about a WHITE woman that didn't get what she wanted and saw her opportunity to make ALOT of money off of this and bring Paula down. I doubt very seriously that she was sooo bothered by what she's claiming happened. Easy money because she knew people would be all over this story.

July 4, 2013 at 10:04 pm |
  15. OldSchoolHistory

Actually, the real N-word is "n*zi," which is used to demonize Germanic Whites, especially if they are racially aware. The R-word is an even bigger source of trouble and should not be tolerated.

White people are in error by trying to defend themselves constantly. Instead, Whites need to seize the initiative (like in any fight) and identify and demonize those who use the N-word and the R-word. Such radical nutcases are openly in control of the society, and they are the source of our problems.

The real problem is that there are those who will rob you of everything you have–your blood, your freedom, your children, and your very lives and thoughts–that which makes you who you are.

No more N-word! No more R-word!

June 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
  16. mogran

Bye, bye Smithfield...I will never purchase another Smithfield product...you have miserably failed customers and you should immediately fire the individual responsible for the Paula Deen fiasco...shame on you!

June 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • jimmy allen

I also will drop my business with all Paula Deens sponsors that have dropped her.Been shopping at Wal- Mart, Home depot, Smithfield products for many years, so bye bye to all that have dropped her , that are scared of bad public relations. Its a complete over kill . Witch Hunt

June 28, 2013 at 4:36 am |
  17. tajivet

Do any of you think Smithfield fired her because of her comments? Absolutely not. They dropped her because their products are bought by all the blacks on WELFARE!!. They do not want to lose that money. Simply economics. They keep her, and the EBT card goes and picks out another brand. I am not saying this to be racist, its the facts!!, go google the percentage of what race has the most people on welfare. This company is in the business to make money, nothing more or less. You tell me if I am going to lose money by what she said, I am dropping you like a bad habit.

June 27, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • jazz648

You are as ignorant as Paula. I am black and have never used welfare. I have a graduate degree, my children are lawyers, engineers, Navy officers. How can you paint black people as you have. You are a fool.

June 28, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
      • jimmy allen

This racial thing just keeps on going, it's like a chain reaction that never stops. Hell, black people call each other N'gaz all the time .They need to stop using the word also . They will never overcome, until they do. They are the ones keeping it alive.

June 28, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
        • Kema

So basically you're saying the use of the n-word by certain black people is what makes certain whites continue yhe tradition of racism. This is just an excuse to keep it going. A very silly excuse at that.

June 29, 2013 at 2:15 am |
        • jimmy allen

Hell, i must be a hater . I am American Caucasian and use the nig**r a lot, because that is just the way it is. You call us racist,we are not the ones that have BET, Miss Black America,Ebony mag,Meet Black People.Com,etc . using guilt as a tool won't work with me. I will say what i want. Bring It On. More Power To Ya Paula,Its just a dirty word. Like you people don't never use words against White People. Get Use To It , never going away. What happened to "Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones,but Words Will Never Hurt Me ".Go Ahead, Start Doing Your Threats, Words won't Hurt Me.i'll just laugh at you.

June 29, 2013 at 6:48 am |
  18. Ivy Bush

I wonder how many unforgiving people go to church and/or say The Lord's Prayer. "...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..." and then behave like a hypocrit.

June 27, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • Greatgrandma-mamaw

Apparently not many. I spend quiet a lot of money with the companys that have dropped Paula Deen.I am rethinking my buying habits.By the way I seldom watch cooking shows,I just think this has gotten way out of hand.People will find something else to harp on soon.People and companys have to jump on the band wagon if this person is down lets keep kicking them.

June 27, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
  19. Linda

Wow. What happened to freedom of speech in America? Paula Deen does not deserve this "get on the bandwagon" mentality from all these sponsors that have profited from her. I never was a big fan, but just the same, let's be reasonable! It's not right!

June 27, 2013 at 10:56 am |
  20. josh

What would you expect from a company that sold out to the Chinese who use child labor. Hello?

June 27, 2013 at 8:08 am |
    • tinabryantw

Didn't realize Smithfield sold out will not buy nothing ever fro. Them again traitors

June 27, 2013 at 8:27 am |
    • Tricia

Here is a list of Smithfield Food products. http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/our-brands/
      I will not purchase any of their products. A company that is living in the dark ages is not worth supporting.

June 27, 2013 at 10:50 am |
  21. feather jacobs

I cannot continue to support your company if you would treat Pauld deen in such a manor. we all have made mistakes but your & food network "lynch mob" attitude is much more unacceptable than any word she may of said. I will no longer purchase ANY PRODUCTS FROM YOU UNTIL SHE IS REINSTATED.

June 27, 2013 at 12:00 am |
    • Marcia

I agree with you. I would like a list of all the companies who are dropping her. I vow never to shop at any of them. This is the most unfair treatment of a celebrity that I have ever saw in my lifetime. I was never a fan of hers but this is so unfair!

June 27, 2013 at 10:07 am |
  22. NurseIt All

I will no longer support any businesses that drop Paula. This is absolutely crazy. They did not think about this correctly. Chris Brown is still advertised at Walmart. Apparently they support abuse on women . This woman just wants money

June 26, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • tinabryantw

So true,,,,, I'm looking to all the ties any of them have with the filthy mouths scrum. Woman beaters store is suppose be family haha no guess they threatened Wal-Mart with law suit to get the job.

June 26, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
  23. Katherine short

This world has gone to hell in a basket. paula did nothing wrong and dosent deserve the ridicule that is being given t her. This was done and said back in an era when it was being said. I wont ever buy smithfield products anymore. because I can promise you someone in that office has said the N word and if you are without sin then cast the first stone. Jesus is going to be your judge in the end and what your doing to Paula is wrong and You know it. She is the sweetest person ever and she has made your product sell, You will have to answer to what you have done in the end.

June 26, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • Valerie Stringer

This is out of hand. She was asked a question and answered it honestly. How many times does she have to explain herself? Everyone has made comments they wish they could take back. These companies that are leaving her are more worried about the all mighty dolla.

June 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
      • Judy

Very big mistake Smithfield.

June 27, 2013 at 3:23 am |
  24. Cindy Monnier

Smithfield is being bought by the Chinese
    Good possibility she could lose sponsership anyway
    This whole thing is a witchhunt
    I am not saying she is innocent or guilty, but in today's
    society, whay she supposedly said is nothing compared to the things
    our government and politicians say and do.
    The saying goes "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones."
    SHAME ON THE FOOD NETWORK. I will no longer watch their shows except for the Pioneer Woman.
    Everyone else should boycott them also!!

June 26, 2013 at 11:50 am |
  25. John Quick

Why don't you believe this because she can make a very tasty apple pie.... come on really.

June 26, 2013 at 1:21 am |
    • leo

@john,it seems your last name tells it all,quick to mouth off about someone you know is on the firing line ,you probably use the n-word more than anyone ,but in a maliciuose way.you are just too stupid to be making comments on a public forum .

June 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
  26. John Quick

People are idiots.... you actually think Paula Dean gives a rat's azz about any of you confused people looking to defend her.... wake up people. Why are you defending someone who you have no idea what their real personality is like?

That is the problem with our society, people now cling to tv shows instead of the real world. I bet she said the N words while reading this article.

June 26, 2013 at 1:20 am |
    • Dan Schmidt

Well I'll guess your opinion is negative towards her. Why else would you be reading these posts? So guess what? Lump yourself in your own idiot category since I am sure you don't know her either.

June 26, 2013 at 9:16 am |
    • tajivet

Just think, if she had been black, then all would be well. This is the culture of America. If anyone hasn't got used to it by now, you are living in the dark ages. There is no discrimination against whites only blacks. History has shown that. I find it funny that the Jewish people were slaves several times over the past 2000 years but I don't see any Jewish people screaming.

June 27, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
  27. Dr. Neal Schiesske

If everything we did in the past was held against us, there would be no ex-cons getting jobs, there would be extreme background checks to get a job at a gas station, this country was based on Christianity, and another word for that is forgiveness, or a second chance, and just to show you that this is not merely religious, every major religion with the exception of extreme Muslim literally pivots on one having peace only after they are forgiven for their past. What has happened to us, President Obama has done a thousand times more things wrong than President Nixon, which one should be impeached? Has President Obama ever referred to himself as Caucasion American? NO only African American, am I upset? No why? The country is based on second chances, longevity, longsuffering and patience, but above all, love for your fellow person. Paula Dean has done more for people and charities than most likely anyone on the Food Network Television station which when she goes, I go. They are cutting their own throats, as if you watch the Paula Dean show, you know that her heart does not harbor any racial bias in any way.

June 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
    • William

I do not believe any of this. Paula Deen seems like a sincere and very good hearted woman. I am banning Food Network and Smithfield foods until they apologize for firing her and bring her back. She MADE the Food Network and THIS is how they show their gratitude? Shame on them. I like Paula Deen and think this is about a disgruntled employee trying to extort money from her and her business.

June 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
  28. darry

Racist South coming out in droves to defend her......The scary thing is most racist don't even know they are racist...it's just their poor upbringing and education.

June 25, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • thebackwoodsman

You're correct about one thing- most racist people of color do not believe they're racist either. Like you said, poor education & upbringing, maybe. Multiple bad experiences, maybe. What's true for one color is true for every color...if you're truly colorblind.

June 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • tajivet

Darry,

Just because someone is from the south doesn't mean they are racist. Maybe you should go back and write something intelligent. It is very obvious you live in a time warp. I think we know who the racist is.

June 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
  29. Moxie

This dosen't matter as Smithfield is being sold to the Chinese. Paula Dean was brought up in a diffrent time in the South and told the truth when being questioned. Its not something I can say for the IRS, Attonery General and many more. Hopefully this person that brought the suit will lose big time. What a knee jerk reaction on the part of her sponsors.

June 25, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  30. SMITHFIELD FOOD BUYER & FOODNET WORK VIEWR= NO LONGER

I WATCH THE FOOD NET WORK DAILY, AS WELL AS AWALYS BUYING SMITHFIELD FOODS. I WILL NO LONGER WATCH THE FOOD CHANNEL OR PURCHASE ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH SMITHFIELD FOODS!!!

I SUPPORT PAULA AND HER FAMILY, SO MANY HORRIBLE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD, DOING TERRIBLE THINGS AND YOU WANT TO FOCUS ON SOMEONE THAT SAID THE "N" WORD, REALLY? SHE APOLOGIZED TO THE WORLD AND ADMITTED TO HER POOR JUDEMENT, I WOULD SAY THATS A LOT BETTER THAN EVEN OUR PRESIDENTS HAVE DONE!!

AND TO SMITHFIELD FOODS AND FOOD NET WORK..... I WILL NEVER EAT YOUR FOOD, LET ALONE BUY A SINGLE ITEM FROM YOU AND I WILL NEVER WATCH THE FOOD NET WORK CHANNEL OR USE THE INTERNET TO LOOK UP ANY THING ON YOUR WEB SITE. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THE WAY YOU ARE TREATING PAULA, HER FAMILY AND "FANS", AS IF SHE MURDERED SOMEONE AND LIED ABOUT IT.

TO PAULA AND YOUR FAMILY.... I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY WHILE YOUR GOING THROUGH THIS BUMP IN THE ROAD. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG, NOTHING MORE THAN ANY ONE OF US HAVE DONE OR SAID IN OUR LIFE TIME. YOUR A GREAT MOTHER, AN AWESOME COOK AND I WILL ALWAYS REMAIN YOUR FAN, BECAUSE GOD KNOWS NO ONE IS PERFECT AND WHO IS SMITHFIELD & THE FOOD NET WORK TO PASS SUCH HARSH JUDGEMENT, WHEN I'M PRETTY CERTAIN THEY HAVE SKELTON'S IN THEIR OWN CLOSET.

SINCERELY & PRAYERS TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY!! FAN FROM VIRGINIA

June 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • Betty

I agree with the others confirming my feelings, that Paula said nothing ,that in one context or another, everyone has said. I think the worst of it is that she is being punished for being honest. That was a private, not public, comment to a family member and, relayed under oath. She could have lied, but she didn't. Paula is so well liked because she is "real". That is rare today and to be admired. Food Network has lost another viewer and supporter. Paula is well off to be without Smithfield foods. I am from the south and I am sick to see another one of our iconic businesses being sold to China. Are we no longer capable of running a business in this country? Paula you have shown many women (and men) that hard work and determination, coupled with good will and common sense, can build an empire. Thank you

June 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • K

I would say for the most part we are TOTALLY in agreement with you. We do not believe Paula Deen is a racist!! She, like many raised in her area and generation have probably said things we would not ever say today.
      We could not say for certain of the facts of a Paula Deen lie, nor could we say the fact that the President of our United States of America has!
      We have to believe they are good people!
      By By Smithfield & Food Network!!!!!!!!!!

June 26, 2013 at 11:53 am |
    • Lee hodge

Two years ago my husband and and I were guests at the Smithfield Inn. We were told bythe employees there how kind, genuine, and real Paula was to each and every employee at the Inn. We were told that she was as genuine as she appears on her show. I will never buy another Smithfield product again. Lee

June 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
  31. Hugh Jass

Smithfield is probably glad they broke off with her after seeing that Cletus also supports her. Do you guys really think she didn't mean her apology, or that she wants a huge racist outpouring and promises to damage the sponsors she is still contractually obligated to? They cannot afford to be seen as 'racist,' so please put a sock in it soon before you get her involved in more lawsuits.

June 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  32. Voter

Keep in mind that Smithfield was a huge Obama contributor, so this really should not be a surprise. Up next: Greater IRS scrutiny of Deen's business dealings.

June 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

There's a man in Tibet that is about to slip off a cliff.....
      ...... and GUESS who's responsible....?

...... That' right.... "OBLAMMO"

June 25, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
    • RANDY

Smithfield Foods dropped Paula Dean for such an idot reason for soimething that happened 3 decades ago. So now I'll drop Smithfield Foods . Such a shame because I liked their food.

June 25, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
      • mortalfool

Smithfield did not drop Paula Dean for something she said - either present day or decades in the past. They dropped her because of money. They are betting that Ms. Deen's continued association with them would lose them more money than if they kept her on. It's purely a business decision.

June 25, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
    • K

Stupid talk.....isn't that idea just what we are talking about!

June 26, 2013 at 11:58 am |
  33. Marie Ann

Gud Job Smithfields :)

June 25, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
  34. Sharon Cole Noonan

Sharon Cole Noonan I agree! Paula Deen and I are about the same age, grew up in the same environment of segregation, made the same comments as children not even knowing they were racial slurs, BUT once we became enlightened, we put away those ugly things and used them no more. I think Paula Deen had an assistant or whatever she was that wants MONEY and saw this as a way to get it. Just goes along with the generation of people these days that want money and things without working for it. And this is also a generation that wants to prolong segregation for whatever reason. Let it go people, work toward unity. Smithfield, you are wrong in what you are doing and you are just prolonging the day when equalization of the races can take place and separation is no more.

June 25, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Valerie

The bottom line is that it is an ugly – and hate-filled – word. It is unfortunate that Ms. Deen lost corporate sponsorship as a result of this, but you reap what you sow. We all need to learn to be a little bit more accountable for the consequences of our actions. This will no doubt be a tough lesson for her, but one that might be necessary for her to step outside of her own shoes and see the impact this word has on other people.

June 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
      • thebackwoodsman

In the 60's and 70's, the "N" word was another racial slur, just like the "K" word for Jews, the "W" word for Italians, the "S" word for Latinos, the "K" word for Germans, the "C" word for Chinese, the "M" word for Irish,...or the "C" word for White people. If you don't recognize the words from the letters, it's not because they were or are less hurtful than the "N" word. It's because the group you didn't recognize by letter didn't play the victim card and file numerous civil actions to capitalize on its ancient victim mentality. Most other groups suffered discrimination more recently. Both Japanese and German Americans were interred during WWII. Meanwhile, there's not a single former slave alive. So, if anyone believes they can read another person's mind and tell them they should be chastised for using a slur 30 years ago, or that they should feel less chastised for one slur than another group was then, or to what degree each word should carry for them personally, maybe they're an ignorant racist. THINK ABOUT IT. Maybe they haven't stepped outside their shoes! Instead, let's try to grow into the shoes of the proud heritage each of us was given, and assimilate. Let's not do to each other what we say we despise done to ourselves TODAY. Any slur is politically incorrect and personally offensive by TODAY'S standards. But 30 years ago? It just wasn't so. Anyone who ascribes to that credo is living in and perpetuating a victim mentality – and passing it along to their children, and their children's children.

June 25, 2013 at 8:39 pm |
        • Shafeeq

ever heard of the Jim Crow laws

June 27, 2013 at 11:40 am |
      • Kathleen

Valerie, will you be contacting Target and Walmart, and have them remove all CD/s that promote the use of derogatory words towards Women, or is it okay to crucify only white people for use of discriminating words?

June 28, 2013 at 4:25 am |
  35. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Diabeetuss.

June 25, 2013 at 9:38 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

IMPOSTER!

June 25, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  36. Hugh Jass

Follow the money, everyone. She contracted with Food Network and with Smithfield, and now they are dropping her for breach of contract. If they suffer further losses because of her, they will ruthlessly sue that money back from her and then claim she damaged their brand and sue her again. If you are on her side, DO NOT attack her business partners financially because it will come from her in the end and prolong this controversy.
    She's important to Savannah and we don't want her hurt. Please back off and support her without doing anything that will set her up for lawsuits; let her partners know we hate their decision and want them to know we don't blame them. They have to please the entire public, not just our region, and they are responsible to their stockholders first. I expect both companies to rehire her in time when this is over, so don't hurt them.

June 25, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Carrie H.

That's the problem with this country., people sit back and do NOTHING! I will NOT buy Smithfield, PERIOD. This whole thing got more media attention than the baby-killer in Philadelphia. What is wrong with people????

June 25, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • Amber

One what grounds would Smithfield have to hold Paula accountable for the public boycott of their products? It's Smithfield's decision to further this "character assassination". They should not be surprised over a public backlash.

June 25, 2013 at 11:47 am |
      • Hugh Jass

As their public spokesperson, she will have signed a contract forbidding her from actions that would tend to harm or damage Smithfield's image. It would be easy to prove, using posts like yours, that she instigated a boycott against them that hurt their brand, and to force her to disgorge the money they paid her and pay damages to offset the financial loss. She'd lose the restaurant; do you really want that? Well, I guess it's a bit late for common sense. The boycott idea has outrun the "we support Paula and want her back" idea, so we'll just see what happens to her.

June 25, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
  37. J Gibson

Sooo, when are Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman going to get fired for being racist??

June 25, 2013 at 8:42 am |
    • A Taurus in Brooklyn

Quentin Tarentino writes Samuel L Jackson's scripts. Perhaps you need to take that up with the Caucasian director...smartstuy!~

Tarentino has also been known to use the "N" word in his films...also used by Samuel L Jackson...or didn't you think Jackson's reference to mentioning the "N' word merited your initial premise.

If you're going to call the kettle black, please introduce both pots to your argument.

Oh, and if you're attempting at a freedom of speech double standard argument, you're failing miserably.

June 25, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  38. DHC

Paula is not any different from so many Americans when it comes to racial slurs or even innuendos. However, Paula is in the spotlight; a life she agreed to. With that, her expectations and decisions are held to a different standard. Paula should have known what exactly she was saying and doing, and that there was a 99% chance that when she says or does something, America will know about it shortly after. Hopefully there is no condemnation, but because there are so many people that believe they are "holier-than-thou," companies and organizations that represent Paula, have to play it safe and politically correct, and cut their tie to someone who is now known for her 1 mistake, not her southern great tasting cooking and shows that have made her famous over the past many years. Same thing happened with Martha Stewart. Everyone and everything had to discontinue their relationships with Martha for what she had done. A few years later she came back and is even more famous and making more money. I have no doubt, this will not stop Paula. I mean, how can you stop a Southern Woman like her? She should of definitely used words that were not harsh or negative as she did. For that, there is cause and effect. It will fade away. America will go on. This is what we do, freak out at just 1 wrong an individual or group makes and then try our best to drop the,m, until we notice it really doesn't matter. She will be back. I think instead of focusing on Paula using the "N" word, maybe we should focus on equality, ending hunger, putting a stop to human trafficking/prostitution, etc... The list goes on. That's how I feel.

June 25, 2013 at 8:41 am |
  39. Diane

Bob Tuschman: General Manager/Senior Vice President, Food Network

Has he ever used the n word get on the t.v. and say no never.

Pat and Gina Neely
    Rachael Ray
    Sunny Anderson
    Aarón Sanchez
    Have they ever said the N word.

June 25, 2013 at 8:34 am |
  40. guest10

You "Pro" Deen folks can't see the forest thru the trees. Paula Deen and her brother are CURRENTLY being sued for sexual and racial harressment. This article is not based on some word she used once or twice in her past. They are reporting on a current incident. Lets not pretend to know someone that you watch on a scripted TV show. You are not around her when the camera's are off. Do you really believe she has not used that word more recently and more frequently than she is willing to admit. Get real! Let us not forget the Dog the bountyhunter rant, when he found out the his son was dating a black woman. He dropped the N bomb like it was going out of style. And look at him now, he is more famous than ever. So before you all going burning down the establishment, don't worry, your precious Paula Deen will recover and "The South shall rise again!".

June 25, 2013 at 8:28 am |
    • tajivet

You fall into the category of idiot. Go back to your mothers basement or maybe you are just waiting around to get your EBT check so you can go buy some more Smithfield food!!

June 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • leo

@guest10,she is being sued by a greedy person who was fired and is out to win by claiming racism was the reason .you need to get your facts straight before you open your cakehole with such stupid remarks.

June 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
  41. John

Who cares what this person thinks. Her food quality, horrible effects on the human body and their association with obesity, heart disease and cancer are much more significant compared to some idiotic jokes or foolish comments. Companies never alienate customers and money. If some fool is associated and representing you and saying anything controversial, they are going to be dropped as nothing good can come out of these comments. In the big scheme of things, who cares. Let her fade away and the actual good news is that this queen of poison is now, for the most part, gone and not pushing her garbage foods on any American anymore.

June 25, 2013 at 8:23 am |
    • leo

@john,you apparently know very little about good food as well as knowing nothing about the way people progressed from an earlier way of life to be in tune with what is considered politicly correct.she made the choice to answer truthfully to a question during a deposition ,if she is the only one at foodnetwork or smithfield that ever used the word n-word i will be damn suprised.the only poison i can see here is coming from your idiot statements.

June 27, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
  42. Brenda

WHO CARES IF PAULA DEAN SAID THE "N" WORD A LONG TIME AGO!! ARE PEOPLE THAT PATHETIC?! GROW UP!!!

June 25, 2013 at 8:21 am |
    • Paul Deemski

Paula,

Tell them to "Kiss Grits", don't cave in! These people are lynching George Zimmerman as I write...

June 25, 2013 at 8:45 am |
      • A Taurus in Brooklyn

...And I hope you don't have a teenage son who one day, may fall victim to being murdered one day by a security guard vigilante who wants to play robocop....even after he was ordered not to follow this young man.

I hope to God you have no children. Shame on you!

June 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
  43. Ross Martin

What a hideous joke. To be politically correct, Ms Dean is required to be dismissed for something that happened in the '60's. Not only in the South, but all over the US the "N Word" was common among non-blacks. The Afro-American still use the word when speaking amongst themselves. Of course nothing is mentioned about "white cracker" "pig fuxxer" and so on. Nope, wouldn't be politically correct for a black man, would it? I think she had the honesty to answer the politically loaded stupid question as she did. But then, who had the honesty and, apparently, guts to be honest in a biased politically dominated society as of day??? Southerners and most of the NE grew up with the mess left after the War Between the States and it didn't start changing until actually the 70s. Pity there.

June 25, 2013 at 8:14 am |
    • Brenda

Agreed!!

June 25, 2013 at 8:21 am |
  44. BokehBen

Ahh, how sweet it is. All one has to do is throw that all powerful, all inclusive wild card known more popularly as the race card out there and every body runs for cover. The accusation doesn't have to be applicable, doesn't have to have foundation, doesn't have be true, just has to be played and it's all over. The accused is automatically guilty,damned,and ruined for life. Lynched by a vigilante style mob who have decided to play God and without due process become judge, jury, executioner. Then they can go there merry little way with a clear conscious knowing that they never once in their entire life made a slip of the tongue. Never once made a little joke that was misunderstood. Never once in their life made a statement that was taken out of context. Just one question for the Food Network and all of you that that are so quick and eager to condemn Paula Deen. HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE PERFECT, TO ALWAYS BE RIGHT??

June 25, 2013 at 8:13 am |
    • Wanda Robbins

I agree with everything you've said. Wouldn't you like to know who brought on this lawsuit and why?! Can't imagine
      that the person who was her restaurant Manager has been so traumatized and it took 30 years to decide to let us all
      know?! Wonder what this person needs so bad–how much money? I think this person should be on the Today Show
      with Matt Lauer. Paula and everyone else should know who this person is!!!!!!

June 27, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  45. Bill Walker

Add Smithfield to the boycott list along with Food network. Get them to the point where their only customers are N*I*G*G*E*R*S. See how well they do.

June 25, 2013 at 7:57 am |
    • Brenda

Right?! Come on people!!

June 25, 2013 at 8:22 am |
    • Hugh Jass

This might make you feel better, but every use of that word confirms to them that they were right to drop her. Stop fussing and let this go away. Don't attack her business partners and make them lose money, because they will sue her for breach of contract and recover what they paid her. Write in support of her, but don't make racist attacks in her name unless you don't believe her apology was sincere.

June 25, 2013 at 8:36 am |
    • John Quick

You are a idiot. Paula Dean will be ok... get real people.

June 26, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • Shafeeq

nice one Bill, just what I've been waiting for, an assh*le to prove the point.... I like my crackers spicy

June 27, 2013 at 11:53 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,048 other followers