Coffee klatsch
June 24th, 2013

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic.

So, regulars: note a slight change of wording above. Since daily commenting frequency has gone down, we're going to try a little experiment and post a Klatsch on Monday, for use all week. You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/. If things start to heat back up over the summer, we'll go daily again.

Personally, we've really enjoyed the flow of conversation this past couple of week, because conversations have been able to continue for people who don't visit every day - but it's a work in progress and we're always listening.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Private personal training

I can’t wait to watch the Super Bowl commercial's, I look forward to it every year.

Bring Back The BUD BOWL

January 28, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Reply
  2. RichardHead@Kat

I just saw where Sears Holdings ( K-Mart-are they still open up yonder? ) and Walgreens-Oh Yea, I'm buying my cooking utensils from Walgreens in The Seen On T.V. section–NOT. Anyway,to sooth some souls on the other one...Here in Houston and Dallas BOTH of her Food appearances have SOLD OUT. In Houston, that is 40,000 tickets. I agree with one poster from the other thread...Re-Emerge as a Southern Cook with her own Restaurants,and become involved in the local scene of Education and continue to Help out the local Food Banks. A second chance should be afforded to everyone...Except Jerv,JDizzle,AleeD,Sir Biddle and ALL those troublemakers from the early years. :)) Just kidding,they are MY Favorite Friends and always will be. Have a Great Weekend and stay dry.

June 28, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Reply
    • JBJ

Bbbbut, I thought I was your BFF?

June 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@JBJ

Please readjust your glasses.......Your name was never mentioned Ms. Goodie Three Shoes. :))

June 28, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Reply
  3. Mary Shannon

Happy Friday, everyone!! Rainy forecast here for the next couple of weeks, great for the flowers not so much for me and the furries.

Enjoy the weekend!!

June 28, 2013 at 10:02 am | Reply
    • AleeD®MaryS

Add a little soap to your wet furries and you won't even have to buy that new front-loading washer. Let Mother Nature handle it. ;)

June 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Reply
    • Weeds

Turn lemons into lemon pie. With a good pour going, suds your furries up and then walk them around the block. By the time you get back, they'll have rinsed off, shaken themselves dry and be ready for a towel.
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39RYrucTvGo&w=640&h=390]

June 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  4. RichardHead@Kat

Save up your change as my old account ( The Bullseye Store ) has also fired Paula Deen. Think of all the 2 and 5 quart pots you can now Buy Cheap when it rains in the apartment. Happy Shopping. :))

June 27, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Oh wow! Thank you!

June 27, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Reply
    • Weeds

For some of you, that'll be a step up from your aluminum foil helmets.

June 28, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@Weeds

Well, Thank You for playing and I Still get 122 channels on the T.V. for Free.

June 28, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  5. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Looks like maybe some dirt cheap cookware might be available REAL soon.

June 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Reply
  6. Kat Kinsman

Jdizz - I did some housecleaning for you.

June 26, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫ @ Kat

SWEET! Thanks! <3

June 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  7. Breaking News!™

WalMart has announced that it is ending its relationship with Paula Deen. In a statement, WalMart said "In our continuing effort to bring our customers the cheapest cr@p imaginable, we feel the need to do so with China and not with the homegrown."

You may now return to your regularly scheduled Eatocracy.

June 26, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Homegrown is always the best.

June 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  8. Breaking News!™

CNN and Jeff Zucker are proud to announce the return of "Crossfire" to their lineup. The first guests of the returning show are expected to be Jon Stewart and Paula Deen.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled Eatocracy.

June 26, 2013 at 11:10 am | Reply
    • AleeD®

I'd pay money to see that.

June 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Also, Aaron Hernandez is SCREWED

June 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Reply
      • Truth™@JDizz

Ten bucks says that the story will be made into a "Law & Order" episode...

June 26, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Reply
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫ @ Troof

If it wasn't for the news, they would never have any episodes.

June 26, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

^ IMPOSTER!

June 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  9. Steves

I so need another cup of coffee.

June 26, 2013 at 9:42 am | Reply
    • Jerv

I need a shot of whiskey.

June 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Reply
      • Weeds

Try some whiskey in some lightly sweetened tea. Grandma always loved her tea in summer. It took a few years to discover why.

June 28, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  10. Mary Shannon

Morning! I can't believe next week is July 4th already.

I have to buy a new washer/dryer...any suggestions as to brand you've been happy with?

June 26, 2013 at 9:10 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

Try the Wonder Washer by Victor Manufacturing. May be easiest to Google a distributor near you but it still stands the test of time.

June 26, 2013 at 9:17 am | Reply
      • Mary Shannon

Gee, might be hard to find parts for a 1907 model.....:-)

June 26, 2013 at 9:44 am | Reply
    • RichardHead@Mary S.

Morning, You might check out a Sears Outlet Center near you. I purchased a Kenmore 90 series washer and a Kenmore Even Heat dryer from them. These are scratch and dent items But they work just fine and you get a BIG discount. Small dent in the back of the dryer and a small dent on the corner of the washer. Check em' out or they do have some washboards that you can also use if you want to join a zydeco band. :))

June 26, 2013 at 10:02 am | Reply
    • AleeD®

I'm still using the rock & washboard method ... er... rather the washer/dryer that came with the casa we bought 8 years ago. I think they're both Maytag. However, if I had to replace one tomorrow, from what I've been told, I'm steering clear of the front-loading washers (clothes, not dishes, Rich). They develop an odor over time that transfers to your clothes. Nast. It gets so bad that you have to wash your washer occasionally.

Consumer Reports has always been a good resource for us when deciding things like this. Have you tried them?

June 26, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Reply
      • Mary Shannon

Yes, thanks, I did check CR as well as Good Housekeeping. I think I've got it narrowed down to a top load Samsung model, that way there's no chance of the odor and you don't need the pedestals.

Thanks for the input, team!!

June 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply
      • Sir Biddle

On a serious note, have they found the cause of the odors?

June 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Reply
        • AleeD®

"Excess soap and grime can also keep some areas damp."
          *head explodes*

You didn't expect that I'd keep it serious for THAT long, did you?

June 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
        • RichardHead

Scientists have named it Lil' Biddle Poopyitous.

June 26, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
      • Weeds

I have owned a side load he washer for many years and am very happy with it. I have not had any problems with odors or malodorous clothes. The smell comes from mildew – when you seal up a wet environment it'll grow mildew. My simple solution has been to leave the washers door open and let it dry. I like the side load he washer because it has a soak cycle and from what little I've been told, the top loaders do not. Also with the side load it will wash anything I can throw in there, including heavy rectangular style sleeping bags. A stand was optional but ridiculously over priced for what it does – I could set it up on cinder blocks or something if I really had a need to.

June 27, 2013 at 11:13 am | Reply
        • AleeD®@Weeds

Weeds: The smell comes from mildew – when you seal up a wet environment it'll grow mildew.
          AleeD: Not ... ALL ... ~_~

Weeds: My simple solution has been to leave the washers door open and let it dry.
          AleeD: Sounds painful ... and risky. ~_~

June 28, 2013 at 6:42 am |
        • RichardHead@AleeD

Is this where the saying " Junk in 'Da Trunk " originated? Perhaps this is why the Roaring 20's Girls were called Flappers?

June 28, 2013 at 7:30 am |
        • AleeD®RichardHead

Bah-ha-ha-ha! And don't forget, loose lips sink ships.
          *shudders*

June 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
        • Weeds@AleeD

Painful? How? I open the door to toss cloths into the drier, leave the door open. You can get right and left handed doors; mine is always out of the way when its open.
          Mildew – corrrect Left over rinse water would collect in the door seal and that's where the mildew forms. Leave the door open, water dries, no problem. Saw in the store "special washing machine cleaning soap, read the ingredients and it was bleach with a little glycerin. So I figure every time I run a load of bleached whites I'm also cleaning the washer.
          Risky? Don't have small children to think about who would want to play in the washer. The door does not lock unless the washer has been activated and turned on.

Two of my friends have top loading he machines and they both like theirs. Its mostly a matter of preference, I guess. I bought the side load because it could handle heavier and more bulky loads. And the soak feature has come in handy with my heavily soiled and oiled cloths from my yard projects and shade tree car repair.

June 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
        • Weeds

Oh,
          AleeD: Not ... ALL ... ~_~
          What else could cause a washing machine to smell besides leaving a load of dam dirty clothes in it or something. I am curious. Or am I missing something obvious?

June 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
        • Weeds

was supposed to read damp , not dam, but that works too.

June 28, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
  11. Truth™

Good morning all, and it is good to see some of the regulars back again.

When I am on the phone or bored at the office, I like to Google the names of long lost friends or colleagues. I have learned to laugh when an un-liked colleague's results comes back complete with mugshots...

June 26, 2013 at 8:58 am | Reply
  12. Sir Biddle

Hump DAAAAAY!!!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWBhP0EQ1lA&w=640&h=390]

June 26, 2013 at 8:29 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

I laugh every damn time I see that commercial.

June 26, 2013 at 8:51 am | Reply
      • Sir Biddle

Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike

June 26, 2013 at 9:13 am | Reply
    • AleeD®

Loooooooooooove this commercial. Thanks for the hump .........day chuckle. ~_~

June 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

My favorite are the subtle looks on the workers faces when they hear him coming down the hall. We've all been there and can relate to our own co-workers at some point I'm sure!

June 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Reply
      • AleeD®

I laugh the loudest at his "Whoo-whooooo" when she finally says quietly, "It's hump day." ^_^

June 27, 2013 at 6:40 am | Reply
  13. AleeD®

G'mornin' all. Nice to see Jerv pop back in again. Have a smack-tacular day.

June 26, 2013 at 6:41 am | Reply
  14. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Some dude keeps posting with my handle. Music notes and everything. >=(

June 25, 2013 at 11:25 am | Reply
    • Jerv

I thought that was going on. Not like you to call someone an idiot.

June 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Guess he couldn't think of his own awesome tag, so decided to steal mine. F***er

June 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Reply
        • Truth™@JDizz

Happened to me some time back. Annoying, to be sure.

June 25, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Weeds

Dude, with your awesome name, its surprising you haven't had this and as ongoing thing.

June 26, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Reply
  15. Mary Shannon

Good morning! Another hot day here in the NE, keep cool, everyone!

June 25, 2013 at 9:20 am | Reply
  16. Truth™

Good morning all, and a very special salute to our fearless leaders KAT and SLT for putting up with all sorts of stuff on the Deen thread. We're with you ladies! Keep the faith!

June 25, 2013 at 8:14 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Thank you! I can't say I'm not reaaalllly looking forward for it being over.

June 25, 2013 at 9:08 am | Reply
      • Weeds

I hate censorship, no matter how good its supposed to be for me. I'd like to see the things said that made your skin crawl. I'd like to see what people are Really saying good, hateful and bad. Too bad CNN doesn't have a "Exposed in all its terrible glory" site, maybe an unoffical site?.

June 25, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Reply
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Try The Onion or the UnNews section of UnCyclopedia. You will LOLROFLMFAO

June 25, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
        • Kat Kinsman

Oh, they're free to say whatever they want. I'm just not obligated to publish it. And it's just hateful slurs and threats. Nothing enlightening or articulate - just ugliness.

June 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
  17. AleeD®

Howdee. Busy week. Hope yours is a lovely one.

June 25, 2013 at 6:41 am | Reply
  18. Kat Kinsman

Friends - all I can say is be very, very grateful that you don't have to look at my side of the comments filter today. That is all.

June 24, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Reply
  19. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Looks like a GAP ad

June 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  20. wheezer58

So far...Looking pretty good from here

June 24, 2013 at 11:19 am | Reply
  21. Truth™

Good morning all. Here's hoping that that we all have a great week.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6WMzDOh1o&w=640&h=390]

June 24, 2013 at 8:14 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Great choice. Always wanted to see them in concert.

June 25, 2013 at 9:18 am | Reply
      • Truth™@Jerv

DO IT!
        I've seen them three times, and loved each show. I still cannot go to Red Rocks without thinking of the Sunday Bloody Sunday video.

June 25, 2013 at 9:24 am | Reply