June 21st, 2013

[Update: A representative from the Food Network has issued a statement saying: “Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month.”]

Celebrity chef Paula Deen apologized Friday for "the wrong that I've done," a move that follows revelations this week that she admitted to using a racial epithet in the past.

"I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done," Deen said in the video statement. "I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness."

Deen's video statement followed reports that she acknowledged in a lawsuit deposition to using the "N word," but denied telling racial jokes.

Deen said earlier in the day she would release a video. Her office would not officially confirm the video and it has since been removed from YouTube.

Read more at CNN Entertainment

A second video, also unconfirmed by Deen's office, was posted today.

Previously:
Paula Deen – From the frying pan to the firestorm
Hugh Acheson: Southern food beyond the butter
The cook who picks cotton: reclaiming my roots
How far has Southern food traveled since segregation?

Posted by:
Filed under: Paula Deen

1. Maria Manzo

You made some good points there. I checked on the internet for more info about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.

June 21, 2014 at 11:47 pm |
  2. Private personal training

I didn't even need to watch this video. What a foolish mistake. She ruined everything she worked to hard to build.

January 28, 2014 at 9:52 pm |
  3. Jackie

Oh, come on Food Network !! Get real. I have never written anyting like this in my life, but I really think you and others
    have come down on Paula Deen way to hard. She has worked so hard to get where she is. She has probably made
    more money for your company than you can count, and you let her go because she was honest enough to tell the truth about something she said years ago. There is probably not one person living that has not said or done something they regret. How can you people be so unforgiving. I only hope that your loss will be her gain. The public is a very forgiving. At least in my faith we are tought to forgive one another. I'm sure Paula will land on her feet. It's to bad that
    you could not stay in her corner. I say you took the easy way out Shame on You !!

July 11, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
  4. Frieda Pierce

I feel like Paula Deen has enemies who want to take her down. , the old saying is :"you have come a long way baby" and her success shows. She is a survivor and will get through this in time. but in the meantime the persons or networks that dropped her should be ashamed. When will they ever learn that we have some people who live by double standards. Thank GOD she told the truth about her use of the word. I am 78 years and live in the south. and know how segregation really was. It was truly wrong but thankfully someone saw a better way. I have many black friends that I love, cherish and would stand up for. They would also return the favor for me. I learned this by association in the workplace for 60 years. So everyone who lives in the south is NOT A RACIST..

June 27, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
  5. Debbie

I was at a red light with my window down, a car pulled up next to me with rap music playing, the 'n' word was used in this rap song several times, I was so disgusted I rolled up my window as I did not want to hear it, but it's ok for it to be used in a rap song that is playing on a radio station for all to hear. Paula asked forgiveness, she was woman enough to do that. So can we get a public apology from rap artists that have included this offensive word in their songs, I am offended by it and my children are exposed to it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

June 25, 2013 at 1:15 am |
    • amanda

I agree of how rap music and comedians have used the "N" word and will continue. I am so upset of how fast we condemn a person for one mistake. She apoligized and yes she will live with this for the rest of her life. I'm still a fan and more now. Everyone has made or used a racial remark, so let's not pretend to be free of fault. Let's not crucified her this way. This reminds me of the Roman days when savages did exist. We are so behind and uncivil when it comes to humanity and union torwards eachother.

June 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
  6. Wendy

To The Food Network:
    You have been one of my very favorite networks. Your channel has run on my TV almost 24/7. Sadly, I have changed the channel, and won’t be changing back- unless & until you offer to renew Paula Deen’s contract. You claim that you will not tolerate discrimination in any form. It appears to me that what you will not tolerate is the truth. I believe that Ms. Deen was painfully truthful in admitting that she has, in the past, used the ‘N word’. It is clear that it is not something that she is proud of, or language that she uses today. Nevertheless, she has the strength of character to stand there, despite obviously intense pressure from your network, and tell the truth. Yes, in the distant past she uttered that word. Honestly, which dunce at your network genuinely believed for one moment that a woman of her age, raised where and when Ms. Deen was raised, had never uttered that word? I, for one, would have instantly branded her a liar if she had denied it. But a liar, she is not. What she clearly is, is one heck of a lady. She was truthful. She was contrite. She was incredibly graceful under fire. I have a whole new level of respect for Paula Deen. I challenge Food Network to do two things:
    1. Find a single person, of ANY racial heritage, of Ms. Deen’s age, who was raised in the deep south, who has never used that word.
    2. Stand by your firm refusal to tolerate this type of discrimination and fire every and any employee who has ever spoken that word, regardless of their racial heritage. Either it’s acceptable, or it isn’t. You can’t have it both ways. That would be called a ‘double standard’- exactly the thing we do not tolerate.
    I believe that this network is the one guilty of discrimination. You are not judging this lady by who she is today. You have judged her by her past, her upbringing. She had no choice in the way she was raised. She has a choice in her behavior today, and that behavior has been honest, forthright, apologetic, and incredibly graceful. She is not a person to be ashamed of. She is a tremendous role-model for us all. We CAN learn from our past mistakes. We can always behave better than we have before. We should be thankful for the opportunities we’ve been given, and we can and should exit with dignity and grace.
    Sincerely,
    Wendy Savastano
    Ditto Smithfield.

June 24, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  7. Barbara Warren

CNN is one of the worst news stations of storing the mess to keep the mess going and keep the fires burning.

June 24, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
  8. Name*brenda

To everyone who have a forgiving heart , you are what this country was built on . Forgiveness . God Bless !!!!

June 21, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  9. Name*brenda

In our world today we don't care about no one
    but ourselves ! Paul Deen is a loving caring soul that made a mistake in her past .
    Jesus ask the people in his time " He who is
    Free of sin cast the first stone ". Everyone drop there stones . From the oldest to the youngest drop there stone ! His message was clear ! It still stands today ! Where is your stone ? My stone is on the ground I never pick it up !

June 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
  10. mbabbitt

Ditto to the remarks of others I just read stating that Paula's remark in the past was an ugly one but people do make mistakes and for anyone to be raked over the coals like this is just the self -righteous, pure ones wanting to throw the first stone. I am not a follower or fan of Paulal's but my mother enjoyed watching her. It's a sad time in America to see such cruel un-forgiveness. What kind of people have we become?

June 21, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
  11. Edwin

Don't agree with this at all. I am by no means a fan of hers, but this whole thing seems overblown. I hope she's able to find success elsewhere.

June 21, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • wolfbaby

It is totally wrong. EVERYone else that "slips" up gets a break....put her in the same catagory as Martha Stewart...If you are a woman, you are NOT allowed to screw up....Men, always!!!

June 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
  12. Cindy V

It is amazing to me how the CNN and guests are making Paula Deen out to be the ultimate racist! And to ask the only black guest (and no one else on the panel) remark as to whether she thinks Paula Deen's apology is sincere or not…Wow! Let’s try to stir up more racial divide!! Her response that it wasn’t sincere and it’s only because it’s hitting her in her pocketbook (or something to that affect) was just uncalled for. The pain in this woman’s face alone shows that she was sincere. I am absolutely offended by Paula Dees statements as I am when I hear any racial or other bigoted comments. They are WRONG no matter the race of the person making them…Get That...NO ONE has the right to make them no matter their race!! No one can say they haven’t made an insensitive comment that they didn’t regret and were ashamed of or even apologized for. She’s paying for and will continue to pay for her comments, there need be no fear of that. CNN doesn’t need to try to make it even more offensive in how it is covered on the media. But it seems to me that CNN is doing everything to crucify Paula Deen. Although I was offended, I don’t believe she is racist. I believe she made some stupid, offensive comments but who hasn’t done that at some point in their life.

June 21, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • RichardHead

If it Bleeds, it Leads on CNN.

June 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,647 other followers