Army cutting back to two hot meals a day
June 21st, 2013

Napoleon Bonaparte is credited with the battlefield adage: "An Army moves on its stomach." That, of course, means there's nothing like good chow.

For the thousands of U.S. troops who will fight in Afghanistan for another 17 months, it is not just the quality of the food they have to consider. Now there will be a bit less of it.

U.S. troops in Afghanistan for years have been fed four hot meals a day, including what is fondly known as "mid-rats" or midnight rations.

That is a meal for troops headed back and forth from the field or pulling a midnight shift on base.

Those meals are served in cafeteria-style dining halls – sometimes little more than a tent – where troops can select items from a buffet.

Read - U.S. cutting back on hot chow for troops

Previously:
Army: Hot breakfasts in Afghanistan cut due to logistics, not budget
Grenades and gravy – cooking in the Korean War

1. MikeH

When serving my country I only had enough calories to keep me alive and alert. I worked three years on a trick schedule and I spent over two years on the wire. Our food was transported to us in insulated green buckets from the back of trucks rain or shine.

This current POTUS is making life in the military so distasteful, both for the soldier but as well his dependants, he has handcuffed our forces and forcing them to seek a simpler life elsewhere.

Keep in mind that these are the only people who will stand and fight when called upon. Don’t “bite the hand that feeds”.

Who is John Galt?

October 7, 2014 at 6:32 am |
  2. In Disbelief

Hey dummy, it's not 4 meals a day. Mid-rats are for people working the overnight shift. They sleep through one of the other meals, so they get 3 just like the day shifters. Stop trying to make it sound like it's the Hilton. Your "buffet-style" line isn't like Hometown Buffet, it's because they don't have enough people working to serve everyone coming through the line and Miltary people (unlike the privileged) are capable of scooping their own gruel on to their plate. I challenge this writer to go eat military food in the field or on a base for 30 days and then insinuate how spoiled our servicemen and women are.

May 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm |
  3. Mary Corson

Don't know what Army you all were in, but at Basic Tng and AIT it was horrible food; During Desert Storm I was afraid to eat because of all the "civilians" cooking. Loved all the "field duty" chow lines. Nothing better than a Chow Sergeant taking pride in what he/she made. The civilians have no creativity in cooking; plus they don't have to eat it so who cares. I say go back to the field kitchen's and you'll save a lot. Bunch of bull on saving money for redeployment. More like saving money for another area of waste in the Government. Why would they want to take care of our troops?

August 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
  4. Seabee Vietnam

I had the best of the best in Nam Seabee's were feed three meals a day, but that was if you were there and not on the job in the field we had C rations if they were there if not you just went back doing your Job till time to head in.
    Plus they are saying they want to cut back on Contractors someone tell me what happen to the Sargent having his chow hall why do we pay these contractors when we have some of the best chow hall or mess tents cooks.
    We had Vietnamese workers doing some low key jobs, what is the Military coming to.

July 27, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  5. Tony

I was in the Army. There were almost enough calories in one meal to last all day(an MRE had approximately 2,000 calories) . I don't believe that they are cutting back to 2 meals, maybe 2 HOT meals. When I was at war, we were lucky to have 1 hot meal a day.

July 12, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

If you're getting combat pay, you should be getting all the hot food you can stuff in when you have the time.

June 25, 2013 at 9:46 am |
  7. Ken Ward

Is this article complete or was it cut off? It seems to be missing a great deal of detail, and contains very little information.

June 25, 2013 at 2:12 am |
    • In Disbelief

I think it was intentionally that way......

May 27, 2014 at 4:45 pm |
  8. rubypearl

would that be similar to breakfast and lunch served in public school, which can be free.. no wonder people have tons of kids, with all the extras they get.

June 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • jen

Really – your believe the statement you made – come on????

June 25, 2013 at 2:20 am |
  9. divinem

Wow, I find this absolutely disgusting. Oh well, I guess you have to cut corners somewhere so you can keep building more weapons.

June 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
  10. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Anyone that thinks troops EVER received 3 hot meals a day in the field is an idiot. We're going back to recorded history here. MRE's and C-rations have been the norm for decades. Not. News.

June 22, 2013 at 8:29 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

And also, has anyone been to a State-Side military chow hall? Not much different from "tent-style" food.

June 22, 2013 at 8:30 am |
      • Andy

Well the fresh mango,kiwi,baskin Robbins ice cream bar, and literally 5-7 different choices available any time,any day,sure make it obvious you know nothing of what you are talking about. Soldiers re f Ed incredibly, ridiculously well. MRE's are around, but mostly just picked for the cheese and cracker, chocolate brownie, or pasta and the rest is just thrown in the trash for a wate of money

June 25, 2013 at 5:14 am |
  11. adam

I ate four (occasionally 5) meals a day while I was in AIT at Ft. Gordon. Then in Germany I moved in with my girlfriend who liked to cook. By the time I got back stateside I was about 45 pounds heavier than when I started. The food was just too good to pass up.

June 21, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,393 other followers