June 14th, 2013

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

If you’ve had anything to do with an airplane recently (gotten on one; awaited for a loved one in arrivals; worked in an air traffic control tower), then you don’t need me to tell there are a crazy amount of delays on the tarmac recently. Some travelers have made the very best of an annoying situation - it’s worth watching a string quartet of Philadelphia Orchestra musicians do a pop-up concert on their three-hour–delayed flight. And the crowd who sang “I Believe I Can Fly,” on their grounded, non-air–conditioned jet.

Or you can avoid the possibility of spontaneously singing R. Kelly in a very hot airplane and drive (in the 48 contiguous states anyway). Benefits include the possibility of dropping in at one of the country’s amazing food museums, where you can become an expert at everything from Spam to pizza to Pez.

National Mustard Museum - Middleton, Wisconsin
Prepared mustards (5,500-plus containers!) from all 50 states and more than 70 countries are on display here. Admission is free and so is the tasting bar, where you can sample flavored mustards like blue cheese, tequila and cranberry. Items from the gift shop are not free, but there are more than 800 products that go beyond mustard to include salsas, chutneys and sauces.

Mark your calendar for National Mustard Day (August 3), when the museum offers free hot dogs, music, games and mustard sampling.

Pizza Brain - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Not only is this the world’s first pizza museum, it’s also the Guinness World Record holder for the Largest Collection of Pizza-Related Items. Obsessive Brian “Brain” Dwyer launched the museum in September 2012 after a successful Kickstarter campaign to open a permanent place to show off his 1,000-piece collection of pizza stuff.

Because looking at all this memorabilia will make you hungry, Dwyer smartly installed a pizzeria, too, with a reputation for great pies such as the Esteban Destino (white pie with slow-roasted pork, cilantro, jalapeño and black beans).

The SPAM Museum - Austin, Minnesota
This museum claims to be “home to the world’s most comprehensive collection of spiced pork artifacts.” Here you’ll find everything from a World War II exhibit to vintage SPAM advertisements; you can also take a SPAM Exam to test your knowledge of the potted meat product. Admission is free.

Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia - Burlingame, California
Five or so minutes from San Francisco International Airport, you can find an example of every Pez dispenser ever sold - more than 900 of them. The place also includes two other museums: the Classic Toy Museum and, more intriguingly, the Banned Toy Museum. The gift shop and online store offers a giant selection of vintage and collectible Pez dispensers, including the Presidents of the USA (five presidents to a set) and Barbie Pez (four for $20).

Idaho Potato Museum - Blackfoot, Idaho
Housed in a 1912 railroad depot, the exhibits at this museum include potato farming equipment and all kinds of potato trivia. The gift shop is the place to find potato-shaped soap made with potato starch (sold in mini potato sacks, of course) and a dress made out of a burlap sack like the one Marilyn Monroe once posed in.

If you can’t get to Idaho, the website offers a recipe for potato chip cookies as well as an argument for why “the potato is a near-perfect food” (nutrient-dense and 99.9% fat-free, they say) but you’ll miss the “box of yummy potato products” they give to each adult ticket holder ($3) who visits.

More from Food & Wine:

Best Burgers in the U.S.

Best Chicken Wings in the U.S.

America’s Best Lobster Rolls

Beautiful Summer Cocktails

Summer Grilling Recipes

Previously - Comestible collections: Fans make museums for munchables

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Food and Wine • Travel

1. mobile application development in kolkata

1. mobile application development in kolkata : http://mettletech.co/mobile-application-development-kolkata/

March 25, 2014 at 3:22 am | Reply
  2. Personal Fitness Coach

They should put these on the same street. Now we know why we are a nation of obese people. We love our food so much we build Museum's
    for them.

January 29, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  3. Jackelyn Farkus

The following time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I really thought youd have one thing attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you might repair in case you werent too busy in search of attention.

August 13, 2013 at 3:52 am | Reply
  4. Tamesha Roquemore

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to seek out any person with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that's wanted on the internet, somebody with slightly originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

August 10, 2013 at 9:38 am | Reply
  5. Vincenzo Hermanstorfer

you might have a terrific blog here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my blog?

August 10, 2013 at 6:39 am | Reply
  6. Lynwood Burmside

There are some fascinating deadlines in this article but I don�t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There's some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

August 10, 2013 at 3:02 am | Reply
  7. Dirk Ising

I found your weblog website on google and test just a few of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the excellent operate. I simply further up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Searching for ahead to studying extra from you afterward!

August 10, 2013 at 3:00 am | Reply
  8. Nana Seidlitz

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to seek out anyone with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that's wanted on the internet, somebody with a little originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

August 9, 2013 at 4:53 am | Reply
  9. Gail Gillooly

I�m impressed, I must say. Actually rarely do I encounter a weblog that�s each educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you've gotten hit the nail on the head. Your idea is excellent; the issue is one thing that not sufficient people are talking intelligently about. I'm very glad that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing relating to this.

August 9, 2013 at 3:25 am | Reply
  10. Odell Thorin

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to search out somebody with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that's wanted on the net, somebody with a little originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

August 9, 2013 at 3:21 am | Reply
  11. Roberto Obbink

There are definitely a variety of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice level to carry up. I supply the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place a very powerful factor shall be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I'm positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the affect of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

August 9, 2013 at 3:13 am | Reply
  12. Cheryll Kennard

This web page can be a stroll-by for the entire data you wished about this and didn�t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you�ll positively uncover it.

August 8, 2013 at 3:16 am | Reply
  13. Marth Skotnicki

What's up to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are pleasant in support of new people.|

August 5, 2013 at 7:56 am | Reply
  14. USA

:-(

June 17, 2013 at 10:32 am | Reply
  15. john steinbeck

"...there are a crazy amount of delays ..."
    Terrible writing. I have some seventh- grade students who could proof for you.

June 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  16. The 2.5th Doctor

How is this news? CNN, you are the scum of the Earth. You could do So Much Good! You could do amazing articles on in-depth reporting about abuses of power, finance, and war, but you don't. You guys are losers.

June 16, 2013 at 11:32 am | Reply
  17. Thinking things through

I am so putting that Mustard Museum on my Bucket List!!! That one would make my day!

June 15, 2013 at 9:37 am | Reply
  18. lwg

You won't find the Spam museum in Austin, Texas. It's in Austin, Minnesota.

June 14, 2013 at 10:30 am | Reply
  19. Truth™

What if I don't like Spam?

June 14, 2013 at 10:28 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

I'll have yours, then. I love it!

June 14, 2013 at 10:33 am | Reply
      • Truth™@Kat

Try the Spam, Eggs, Sausage and Spam...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o&w=640&h=390]

June 14, 2013 at 10:43 am | Reply
        • Kat Kinsman

I really wish we had a "like" button.

June 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm |