May 23rd, 2013

World-renowned chef, author and Emmy winning television personality Anthony Bourdain visits Peru in the next episode of "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown," airing Sunday, June 2, at 9 p.m. ET. Follow the show on Twitter and Facebook.

Peru's bounty of fresh fish, roasted chicken, fiery chiles and sumptuous cacao packs so much flavor, it would be cruel not to share. Anthony Bourdain invited his best friend, world-renowned chef Eric Ripert to join in his culinary journey across this vast, varied and distinctive land.

Here's where they feasted:

Mercado Modelo (Chiclayo Market)
Ave Jose Balta and Arica
6.766272 S, 79.839075 W

Chez Wong
Calle Enrique Leon Garcia 114, Lima, Peru (San Isidro)
+51 1 4706217

Anticuchería Doña Pochita
Av. Ignacio Merino Cdra.23, Lince, Lima

Amaz
Avenida La Paz 1079, L18 (Miraflores)
+51 1 2219393

Canta Rana
Genova 101, Barranco, Lima, Peru
+51 1 2477274

Catch up on Eatocracy's previous adventures in Peruvian food:

Peruvian food is having a moment

More and more Americans are flocking to Peruvian food and discovering a world of flavor beyond pollo a la brasa (rotisserie chicken). This diverse cuisine, with influences from Andean to Spanish, Japanese and Chinese to African and Italian, is quickly finding its rightful place in the national food scene.

Credit is due in part to Gastón Acurio, the country’s most recognized chef, who acts as the unofficial ambassador of Peruvian cuisine with 34 restaurants in 14 cities worldwide, including the recently-opened La Mar Cebicheria in New York City. In 2008, Acurio, together with Apega, the Peruvian Society for Gastronomy founded Mistura. This 10-day food festival brings together street vendors, herbal stands and high-end chefs showcasing their most popular dishes and attracts over 300,000 every year.

Now, scaled-down versions of this event – complete with quinoa desserts, fresh bread, and traditional herbal drinks – are popping up outside of Peru. Read more.

South America's pisco enjoys North American revival

Long a fixture in liquor cabinets and bars in Peru and Chile, pisco is popping up in the United States amid an obsession with craft cocktails. From January to July 2011, export sales of the South American grape brandy grew to $2.3 million, up 139% over the same period in 2010, fueled by increased sales in the United States.

As pisco's popularity grows in the United States, its country of appellation remains a topic of dispute in South America. Pisco grapes are grown in Chile and Peru, and both Andean nations have adopted it as a national spirit. The dispute has played out in numerous decrees and regulations from both countries, with Peru claiming the historic upper hand and boasting a commitment to making it the old-fashioned way. The International Organisation of Vine and Wine has urged the two countries to make nice and work together toward a common solution. Mainly, the outcome has been aggressive international marketing campaigns from both countries. Read more.

Make perfect pisco sours and ceviche

Peru won its independence from Spain in 1824. Every year on July 28th, Peruvians gather to celebrate that independence and they will very likely do it with two of their staples: a citrus-cured seafood delicacy called ceviche and the national drink, the Pisco Sour. We visited a Peruvian restaurant in Washington to see first hand what goes into making the perfect ceviche and Pisco sour. Watch a video tutorial.

Previously on Parts Unknown:
Peru
Peruvian food is having a moment
Make perfect pisco sours and ceviche
South America's pisco enjoys North American revival
Libya
Breakfast in Libya
Where fast food tastes like freedom
Morocco
iReport: In Morocco, eating is the spice of life
Street snacking in Morocco
Canada
O Canada! Our home and delicious land
Come for the strip bars, stay for the poutine
Colombia
Colombian cuisine – from aguardiente to viche
Americans just don’t understand the potato. Colombians do.
Los Angeles Koreatown
The ever-changing flavor of L.A.'s Koreatown
Bridging generations and cultures, one blistering bowl of bibimbap at a time
Los Angeles food trucks are in it for the long haul
Myanmar
Fall in love with Myanmar's cuisine
In Myanmar, drink your tea and eat it too

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Parts Unknown • Peru

1. 5237 sayılı yasanın 87/3 125 85 maddesi

Now I am going to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming over again to read further news.

October 12, 2014 at 1:37 am |
  2. personal training Long Island

Peruvian food is awesome. We have numinous location's on the island and in NYC. Great post CNN keep the public informed.

January 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm |
  3. peruvian in ohio

I never ate guinea pig even though they were raised on my grandma's farm as food. I think the family who lived on the farm (we lived in the city) did eat them. One of the major things I miss about my homeland is the food. From anticuchos to chaufa to salchipapa...I could eat Peruvian food every day and never grow weary of it. Now its hard to find the ingredients here in Ohio but when I do, I save them for special occasions. Can't wait for this year's July 28th!!!

June 3, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Joe

If you're in Cleveland, there're tons of central and South American markets and I find a lot of my ingredients also in the Asian markets.

June 8, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  4. Lindsay

I've eaten Peruvian food and let me tell you it is by far the best I have tried. I've traveled to many places around the world but I just find Peruvian food to be the most varied. From seafood to Andean products to never heard of fruits in the amazon, I mean so many flavors, every city I've visited in Peru had something different I could try. If you at least try it once you are missing on a whole new sensation.

June 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  5. sfdgfdhgfdjh

eating guinea piggies? that's sick animal abuse! have they no hearts? what a disgusting world we live in. i hope it burns soon. NO MORE INNOCENT BLOODSHED!

June 3, 2013 at 7:16 am |
    • Guardsman

I am vegetarian and eat no meat whatsoever. I would support your statement if it applied to all animals and not just guinea pigs. What's the difference between a guinea pig and a chicken? shouldn't we stop the bloodshed and animal abuse of chickens too?

June 5, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • lol

A comment full of ignorance.... in Peru guinea pigs are not seen as pets like in other parts of the world. They have been seen mostly as food for a very long time.
      Let me educate you: before the spaniards came, there was no cattle, no horses, no poultry... why? because they're not originally from the "new world". So, incas and andean ancestor domesticated what was originally from the andes which are guinea pigs, llamas, and other animals.
      Next time read a little bit before accusing people of animal abuse...

June 5, 2013 at 11:59 am |
      • celso

LOL ,so well lectured, the only source of high protein which is needed for substenance at high altitude is what the environment provides in this case. It is simply survival. Only ignorants would like to push their political agenda on cultures that have been around for thousands of years...

September 23, 2013 at 6:13 am |
  6. blogblogblog

The only flavor you like is disgusting tobacco! I would never listen to a smoker for recipes.

June 2, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • mery

then don't read it.

June 2, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • RC

Anthony doesn't smoke anymore.

June 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
      • blogblogblog

Sure he doesn't, just like most idiots you have been doing it since childhood.

June 16, 2013 at 9:05 am |
        • Glauber

You sound like you're very young, maybe late high school/early college age. It's good that a very young person such as yourself takes an interest in sophisticated international cuisine, but it helps to "act like you've been there before" and show some maturity.

September 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
  7. danielwalldammit

There was a Peruviaj Restaurant in flagstaff, AZ. It was really good.

June 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
  8. tim kahoe

I could care less where, how and when this pompous Anthony Bourdain does anything. Ignoramis!!! Who would care what this man says about anything-it simply doesn't matter and usually isn't on the mark. Followed him to a few spots that he promoted and maybe the worst places I've ever been to! Good luck with the show-I'm not watching, unfortunately I wasted too much time listening to this asshole talk on the travel channel.

June 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Sam

Just because you're eating Stouffer's and sitting in front of your computer and he's traveling and eating the best food in the world, doesn't give you the right to be a prick. Or maybe it does?

June 2, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Mike

Thank you Tim! I totally agree. I am so disappointed in CNN's decision to give this low class, foul mouthed, arrogant and narcissistic individual a show. I can only guess that after a year, no one else will pay attention to watching him eat and drink his way across the world. Who cares? I have better things to do with my time than to watch Bourdain. I can't stand looking at his old and haggard face.

June 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
  9. The flip side of Peruvian fruits and vegetables

We import fruits and vegetables from Chili and Peru, which gives us a winter bounty, except that these countries use large amounts of pesticides and fungicides, some of which US farmers are forbidden to use. Of course, the locals don't have to deal with this if their produce is locally sourced, but as usual US Corporations wink and look the other way. Americans are so toxic today that Roux-En-Y, Gastric Banding or Sleeve is actually a ticket to dying from the crap stored in your own fat tissue as you lose weight.

June 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Guardsman

Where did you get that from? where are your sources?

June 1, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • Milenko

Where they'll did you eat in Lima?
      Did you go to Malabar, Gaston Acurio, La Gloria, Brujas de Cachiche, Huaca Pulcana.......
      What you just said it's most retarded comment I have ever seen on line about Peruvian food and products. You are actualy competing natural free of pesticed Peruvian produce to green picked, refrigerated ripe fruits and vegetables we eat in US. Again your comment is miserably wrong, correct yourself! Pathetic !

June 1, 2013 at 11:57 pm |
      • Guardsman

Whatever! No replies to a mentally retarded response! Although even a Retard has a higher IQ than you do!!

June 2, 2013 at 12:10 am |
      • Guardsman

My apologies ... I erroneously thought you had replied to my comment. I have just realized you replied to the main post. So let me take back my previous post!

June 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  10. capnmike

Spent a couple of weeks there...the restaurants were generally AWFUL...the best food we found in Lima was a guy selling sliced roast-pork sandwiches in the park...these were huge and had all kinds of trimmings...but most of the food we found was really bad.

June 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • worldtraveler

I agree. I was disappointed with Peru. I had heard so many great things about the food but few meals lived up to expectations.

June 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Guardsman

I disagree. I have been there and the food was awesome. I even gained 2-3 lbs in a week after all the great food I ate there. I know locals there who can tell where to and not to go. Peruvian fish and sea food can be pricey but it is worth it!

June 1, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • NS

Oh good, that means you'll never return. Thank you!

June 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Ceviche

How can you pretend to judge Peruvian food, you don't have any sense of taste, you'r pathetic, why don't you go back to MacDonald's or Burger King, that's the only food you've ever knew. Typical example of an ignorant redneck.

June 2, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • Loco

it's because u don't have idea how taste good food, keep eating burguers...

June 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
  11. BO

How is the hair pie over there?

June 1, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
  12. disgustedvet

Much more fun when Andrew Zimmern does these programs.

June 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
  13. Edwin

Thank you for inventing ceviche, Peru! I couldn't imagine a better way to have seafood.

May 31, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  14. Lila

There is a lot of ignorance surrounding Guinea pigs. I used to live in the mountains in Peru with a family who used to eat them. They ate ONE Guinea pig per week for the entire family. Not one Guinea pig per person per meal like Westerners eat. The industry has changed for the tourists, it's a tourists food now. It's not eaten anymore like it was intended. Guinea pigs are pretty much factory farmed now to keep up with the demand vs real Peruvians who took really good care of them. I highly recommend skipping it. Instead, try Anticuchos (beef heart) and Picarones( a dessert that resembles a doughnut), Also, try to attend a Pachamanca, they bury the food in the ground and let it cook-it's really good, great flavor.

May 31, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • Varun

Pachamanca? Or Pachamama? Just wanna know if there is another restaurant...not trying to be an ass..I had cuy there and it was amazing!!

June 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
      • ti

pachamanca is a traditional dish in Peru

June 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
      • Lila

It's popular in the mountains. They dig a hole in the ground, build a fire and warm stones, add food, then bury it all. It's like an oven in the ground. The home I went to had the food bake in the ground overnight. It's popular for celebrations. Because the food comes out so good, it's becoming popular in other areas of Peru. There are some restaurants outside of Lima who will do it for families on weekends. Not sure how authentic it is, but it's much better if someone from the mountains puts it together. If you Google pictures you can see what it looks like and how the food comes out-yum!

June 1, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
      • Ceviche

Pacha means earth in quechua, manca is food and mama is mother, so Pachamanca means Earth Food, and Pachamama means Mother Earth.

June 2, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Damned shame to hear about this.

June 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
  15. Informed Voter

I've eaten guinea pig, when I had dinner in a local's home in Urubumba in the Sacred Valley. It's not bad, except the piece I had was overly salted. Everything else I had during my week in the country was delicious. We had pisco sours every day, too, and they were wonderful.

May 31, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
  16. gowisha

I have lived in Peru twice; in 1965 and in 1980. Pisco is a brandy, not a rum or moonshine, and it's made from grapes. If you're going to comment, have the common sense to use 'facts', and not your personal beliefs.

May 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
    • Informed Voter

Thanks for setting the record straight. Can't imagine why some think it's moonshine.

May 31, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
  17. xMoonWitchx

My apologies for not commenting on this specific episode, I haven't seen it yet, however, CNN frequently gets it wrong - we know this. Inappropriate exploitation of technology, factual errors, and errors of accurately reading their target audience with web offerings such as PressPass - but this time, you got it right.

Mixing culture with adventure, cuisine and the arts specific to the area, but not lost on me is the careful attention to cinematography. The entire show is beautifully shot and not in a smarmy hip fashion with cut shots and wild zooms. It's the artful use of slow motion at times combined with interesting angles with contrast, and pop. It's art, plain and simple.

Intertwined in all this is, all over the local fare is Bourdain's careful and respectful investigative journalism . Bourdain comes off as the every man without airs and a respectful and eager student of the culture, yet with formidable talent and experience of his own to bring to bare to better help understand the cultural culinary nuances and explain and entice me, someone raised on fast food.

The show is brain food in and of itself and, in an all-around way, best show on TV. At this point, It is the only show I watch religiously.

I'll smoke, scrape and smoke this show again and again for as long as the ride lasts. Thanks to all who make it possible!

May 31, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  18. stephen48739

I like watching the show. So many different types of food, served around the world.

May 30, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
  19. Annia

I think the best ever of Mr. Bordain's culinary trip that managed to make me salivating was the Istanbul trip on The Travel Network. I'm a fan & find him quite entertaining while manage to be respectful to the culture and the people he visited.

May 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  20. mom

My daughter has several guinea pigs. We learned when she started keeping them that they are a real passion for many people as pets, with their own "everything' magazines, etc., etc...I have to admit they are charming, though I do not want my own. They grow very fast, reproduce early if allowed to, and are of course vegetarians. Many say they taste like chicken... Even though they really are appealing and everything, my daughter used to tell them if they were naughty pigs they were getting an invitation to dinner... she doesn't tell them that anymore. Anyway, she is attached to them ..but the cleaning! oy!... However, yes, I can see why they are a nice little meal for some people in the southern hemisphere...We just are not used to consuming such creatures up here. Pet supplies are often labeled "for guinea pigs and rabbits.." We read up on the history of the critters...sorry, piggies- you are both tasty AND cute. I did not say that...

May 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
  21. TLORop

Its illegal to eat Guinea Pigs in California because they are a pet animal. I find that odd because I've seen Rabbit in the freezer section at my grocery store. So Guinea Pigs are pets but rabbits aren't?

May 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • Annia

I guess one can raise rabbits as pets, but there are farms that raise rabbits for meat. I ate rabbit once while living in Belleville, Illinois & yes it tasted like chicken, nah, actually a bit more unique than chicken. They are sold at the grocery store's frozen section, which is nice, but preparing rabbit is a bit tricky. There is something that needed to be removed correctly, no, I'm not talking about the innerds, but something that if not correctly remove, the rabbit will smell so gamey & no spices in the world can cover that horrible smell. I bought the package that was not correctly remove, and that was the last time I ate rabbit, which is gosh, over 20 years ago.

May 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
      • Elmer Fudd@Annia

You gots to watch those wascally Wabbits 'cuz they can wepwoduce even in the Fweezer Section of your local grocery store.

May 30, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Tigresse

The more you travel around the world, the more you see how food – and what is and isn't eaten – is largely a product of culture. The first time I ate rabbit was at a Greek restaurant, in Greece, although you can get it in Canada. I never tried guinea pig, though. For most North Americans they see rabbits as pets, but in other cultures, including in France, it is commonly eaten. I guess it all depends on how you were raised and what your culture believes is food and what are considered pets.

June 5, 2013 at 4:21 am |
  22. Sonia

Peru declared its independence in 1821, not 1824.

May 30, 2013 at 9:31 am |
    • RVT1K

Declaring independence and winning independence are two different things.
      The US declared independence in 1776 but that didn't stop the fighting.

May 30, 2013 at 11:04 am |
      • Silvia

The independence and what we celebrate on July, 28th is about 1821 not 1824 ... and that is what the context is talking about ... 1824 Battle of Ayacucho was in December the 9th.

May 30, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
        • viva el peru

very well put. CNN needs to invest a bit more into their research department.

May 31, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • diegomamani

The article says that Perú won its independence in 1824, which is correct. Sonia is also correct in stating that Perú *declared* its independence in 1821; however, most of the country was under Spain's control until most of 1824.

June 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
  23. Roberto Carlos

I can´t wait to watch this episode this weekend! I love Peruvian food. Here are some of my favorites, especially the anticuchos and choclo con queso

May 29, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  24. Mustang Mom

I too watched the #partsunknown marathon Sunday even though I had seen most of the episodes already. I especially enjoyed Canada ! The unmistakable love those men have for their Province & their dining experiences along with the food was so heartfelt. It was so wonderful to see that someone still appreciates the art of food preparation, & presentation, all the way down to the dinner ware in the ice house, duck on a hot stovetop, doesn't everyone ? Anthonys love for Columbia was so genuine, I can appreciate the hard work of the entire crew that shoot these beautiful scenes for us, thank you thank you, best show in television.

May 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • CapitanJusticia

Nice post. Btw, it's ColOmbia.

June 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  25. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Watched an Anthony Bourdain marathon on Sunday, I think it was. I quite enjoyed the show.

May 29, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  26. ryan d

amazing... looks very healthy the south american countries and the far east have an amazing cuisine.. but eating guinea pigs??

May 28, 2013 at 10:31 am |
    • Tigresse

Seems strange to you, but hey, in other countries they consider rabbits food, not pets. It really depends on how you were raised and where.

June 5, 2013 at 4:22 am |
  27. full report

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to grasp a lot about this, like you wrote the e book in it or something. I believe that you can do with a few percent to drive the message house a bit, however instead of that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

May 24, 2013 at 5:29 am |
  28. Archibald

I like how they try to "dress up" Pisco. It's basically moonshine, and it's great, but it isn't some fancy "foodie" concoction. It's good, old fashioned, south American moonshine.

May 23, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • glavela

To Archibald, you have no idea what you are talking about. Pisco is a delicate rum made of grapes grown in the town of Pisco.

May 28, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
    • Varun

For rednecks, any drink can be grouped into these 3 groups 1) soda 2)budlite 3) moonshine.

June 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
      • MyBry

That made me giggle (and no I haven't been into the Pisco).

June 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
      • disgustedvet

Moonshine good. Wine is for sissies. ;)

June 1, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
        • TAREIX

Who said that? Perhaps, a chauvinistic toothless, overweight, ignorant redneck who lives in swamps.

June 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
  29. Porky Pig

My guinea pigs just got heartburn!

May 23, 2013 at 9:50 am |