May 22nd, 2013

Video via KOMO

Talk about your potted pork! Bucking Boars Ranch, a longtime vendor at Seattle's Pike Place market is now selling meat from pigs that have been fed with marijuana plants.

Proprietor William von Schneidau told Seattle's KOMO that while he himself does not smoke pot, he partnered with a medicinal marijuana grower, Top Shelf Organic, to get plant remnants to feed to hogs on a nearby ranch.

"All we're trying to do is to help the local ranchers and to figure out some ways to shorten the carbon footprint," von Schneidau said.

Cannabis farming is legal in the state of Washington and the so-called "pot pigs" are fed on the stems, root bulbs and oversized leaves of marijuana plants that aren't ideal for smoking.

"[We are] putting some weed to the feed, if you know what I mean," von Schneidau joked in a video advertising a "Pot Pig Gig": a multi-course meal featuring Pike Place produce and the marijuana-fed meat.

And how does it taste? "Savory," reports von Schneidau.

The meat is out of stock for now, save for a small amount he plans to turn into proscuitto. But bacon lovers hungry for their next fix will be happy to know the butcher is planning to experiment with another batch of ganja-gorged swine soon.

Posted by:
Filed under: Pork • Weird News

1. Quentin Whitehair

I must express thanks to this writer for bailing me out of this particular crisis. Just after scouting through the the net and obtaining proposals which are not powerful, I was thinking my entire life was over. Existing without the answers to the problems you've resolved as a result of the website is a serious case, as well as the kind that would have negatively damaged my entire career if I hadn't discovered your blog post. Your competence and kindness in maneuvering all the pieces was very useful. I'm not sure what I would have done if I had not discovered such a step like this. I'm able to at this time look forward to my future. Thank you very much for this expert and effective guide. I won't be reluctant to endorse your web page to any person who needs to have assistance about this problem.

April 30, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Reply
  2. Gwyneth Natal

Can I just say what a reduction to search out someone who really knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know how you can deliver a difficulty to gentle and make it important. More folks must read this and understand this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre not more well-liked because you positively have the gift.

December 14, 2013 at 3:30 am | Reply
  3. Otha Speicher

An interesting dialogue is worth comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this topic, it might not be a taboo topic however generally people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

August 13, 2013 at 9:43 am | Reply
  4. Wilhelmina Wiktor

Incredibly cool Mr. Elliot. I'm starved for missives from the mailbox. I'll admit it, I even open junk mail. (Hey, maybe it's a check with a lot of zeros at the end.) Such a sad existence for me when my an individual a small rush of importance is ripping open junk mail. Bills can wait around, so a real letter sounds excellent. Will subscribe.
    Cheers, Iris

August 2, 2013 at 10:46 am | Reply
  5. Georgeanna Peyre

Abdominal obesity, also known as belly fat or clinically as central obesity, is excessive abdominal fat around the stomach and abdomen. It can also occur in both children and teenagers if either of their parents have Abdominal obesity. There is a strong correlation between central obesity and cardiovascular disease.^",*

Have a look at all of the most up-to-date blog post at our new web-site
    <http://www.healthmedicine101.com/index.php/

July 1, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Reply
  6. Beefburger

The pot plant, like hemp, is high (pardon the pun) in Omega-3s. Possibly pork that is not as bad for you.

@James, vegetarians ARE food. You're next pathetic cow.

May 24, 2013 at 7:54 am | Reply
    • bob day

raw pot is very medicinal well have happy chickens and cows soon

May 26, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  7. Bruce

That anything that helps people escape their minds and real life is romanticized and coveted is a sign much of the human race is not much smarter than the pigs raised for slaughter.

May 24, 2013 at 3:10 am | Reply
    • MoMike

We're not escaping our minds, we're expanding them, something your post suggests you should try.

May 24, 2013 at 8:31 am | Reply
  8. Cynthia

"Top Shelf Organic"

There is nothing extraordinarily "organic" about pot. For a pot enterprise to misuse the term "organic" is to dilute the meaning and intended use of the term "organic" for everyday foods consumed by ordinary non-pot potting people.

While I would vote to legalize pot (due to pot consumers forcing our hands by otherwise enriching criminal cartels), pot potters should not by ingrates, should not cross the boundaries where we live and misuse of terminologies.

Pot potters, stay within your boundaries. We supported you. Don't bite our hands.

May 24, 2013 at 2:18 am | Reply
  9. JoesGarage

They finally put the BAKE in Bacon!

May 23, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Reply
    • Toasty

#00FF00 great

May 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  10. Edwin

So what's next? Cocaine-fed Chickens? Heroin-fed Cows?

May 23, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Of course. I can pick heroin and cocaine in user form right from the stem.

May 24, 2013 at 12:42 am | Reply
  11. Chris Rogers

while passing pickled parsnips at particularly picky people?

May 23, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Reply
  12. roxie

Now that's a real pot-belly pig.

May 23, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Reply
  13. UncleJohn

OMG – Bacon that MAKES YOU WANT TO EAT MORE!

May 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Reply
    • Jeremy

YES! Exactly what I was thinking. GENIUS!

May 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Reply
    • Beefburger

Bacon that makes you want to eat more bacon? Sort of redundant.

May 24, 2013 at 7:45 am | Reply
  14. RPF

There are too many chemicals used in the production of marijuana. I'm surprised the farmer would give his pigs plants with so many fertilizers in them.

May 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Reply
    • J

Wrong!!! Plants are weaned off of all chemicals before harvest. They are flushed and given nothing but H2o at the end of their cycle. Chemicals have been flushed from the plants and dirt they grow in. Belive me people are not smoking miracle grow.

May 23, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

This. The best weed (so I've heard) is in it's purest form.

May 24, 2013 at 12:43 am | Reply
    • Ian

Your statement is a sweeping generalization – just like all farmers, some pot growers use chemicals, some don't, it's a matter of personal preference (and perhaps ability).

May 23, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Reply
  15. us_1776

The plant "remnants" don't contain very high levels of THC.

May 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  16. bob

Sweet. I'm always encouraged by the comments from the herbivore people, as they leave more pork for me.

May 23, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Reply
  17. j mac

talk about having meat and POTatoes!

May 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  18. PikeMike

Wow that's enough to make a Vegan get out of the garden!!!!

May 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  19. AC

Te Pot shouldn't have any effect of someone who ate the pig so whats the big deal?

May 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Reply
  20. tjp44

POT is here to stay...................................awesome!

May 23, 2013 at 11:50 am | Reply
  21. JR

Oink, OInk, give

May 23, 2013 at 11:20 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

It's oink, oink, pass

May 23, 2013 at 11:26 am | Reply
      • Gament

I guess this truly living high off the hog.

May 23, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  22. James

Obviously the article is introducing a smart use for unused parts of marijuana plant cultivation while cutting down on feed expense and probably helping the pigs' diet (good work!) ...but the animal protein diet is really the problem here. research is pointing to animal proteins as being a major factor in diseases like cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease...

See the movie "Forks over Knives" as a good start to why a vegetarian diet with plant based protein is not only better for you, but better for our environment (manufacturing meat is environmentally unsustainable – worse than you may think).

As for the weed, a HUGE thank you to the people of Colorado and Washington for leading the way out of stupidity and towards sustainability, health and fun!!

: )

May 23, 2013 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • epenguin

Well said.

May 23, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Reply
    • Caiha

Research also shows that total avoidance is unhealthy. But people always have an all or nothing way of thinking, which in nearly every case is not the correct answer.

May 23, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Reply
    • llLowkohll

kudos

May 23, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Reply
  23. Badly-Bent

Hmmmm, mello Jello.

May 23, 2013 at 10:52 am | Reply
  24. ummmmm bacon

Pass the pork on the left hand side......only on the left hand side.

May 23, 2013 at 10:03 am | Reply
  25. Thinking things through

A new twist to "high on the hog"? Or perhaps we'll get to learn when it is that pigs fly?

May 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  26. Truth™

Here's a question, but if someone has to take a UA, will consuming any of this meat trigger a positive?

May 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Reply
    • Dr. Rollem Tight

Dear Mr. Truth,
      In regards to your specific question, Please make sure that you cook your Pork to a temperature of 145 degrees or above before consuming. A Digital Thermometer is recommended and All traces of Pig Dna shall be removed.

May 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Reply
    • Paul

Absolutely not and eating the pork would have no intoxicating effect. It is pork like any other kind.

May 23, 2013 at 11:20 am | Reply
  27. Sarah Palin

There's lipstick on this Pig...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

May 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Reply
  28. RichardHead

Don't Bogart that Pig my friend....Pass it over to me.

May 22, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Reply
    • Joe C0cker

I get High with a Lil' Help from my Friends.

May 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Reply