'We are servers not servants!'
April 10th, 2013

His name is The Bitchy Waiter and he'll be taking care of you folks this evening. Earlier this week, the popular blogger served up five ways that customers get in the way of their food arriving in a timely fashion.

And a whole lot of folks bit back, with more than 1100 comments about the role of waitstaff in getting meals to people in a timely fashion - and even their value in society. Here's a sampling menu of some of the most popular sentiments.

You work for ME!

"Here's a great idea for 'servers.' I will tell you what I want to eat, you go get the food and bring it back to me. We aren't friends, you work here. Period. If you do it right, I MIGHT tip you. Depends. But really, you are NOT that important. This article makes waiters seem way more important than they are." - Rob

"I get tired of hearing people in the food industry complaining about having to DO THEIR JOB. When I go to a restaurant, I go to have a relaxing, comfortable time. Why should I be constantly worrying about the small things that a server doesn't like customers to do? Tips are for excellent service, so be an excellent, patient waiter." - Nathan

"I go to a restaurant to be WAITED ON! When I have my 2-year-old (who also expects to be WAITED ON!) with me and the waiter does not give me a bad attitude, I leave a 25% (sometimes even more) tip, because my family got WAITED ON!" - Person

"It's simple: If you try to play 'smart' with my kind, not only you will receive $0 as your tip (which means you might need to search your pockets for the kitchen's share) but, if you insist, my kind has no problem in asking to speak to your supervisor. I come to 'your' restaurant by choice and I can leave as easily as long as I exercise my rights within the limits of the law. I can and will make your life as miserable as needed, if provoked. I am not there to hold your hand or make friends with you, but to have a decent meal with my company, and, like it or not, as long as I ask respectfully for 15 glasses of water, your job is to bring them with a smile." - Customer

We're all in it together

"Remember, many of the problems that your server has in making your experience a good one are out of their control. Sometimes it's the customer who caused the disruption in service, sometimes it's the hostess (who often gets a portion of the tips) and sometimes it's the kitchen staff who drops the ball but still gets paid a set wage per hour. If you have a complaint about the service, take it to the manager and don't assume it's the server's fault and shortchange him/her unless you're certain they are the problem." - Considerate Customer

"Without servers to serve you, you'd just have fast food and your kitchen. It's just another one of those jobs people don't want to have to do themselves and don't want to think about the people doing those jobs as actual human beings." - Ashley

"I find it very interesting to see all of this animosity directed towards people who deal with the food you will be eating. Imagine having a three-course dinner party for 30 people. Imagine that they show up at completely different times. Imagine what it might be like to serve all of your guests all of their food in order, hot and with appropriate accoutrements. Imagine that they all also would like a drink (or three). While it may be very 'fun' to pick on servers, unless you have actually worked as one for a period of time, your comments are tripe." - Marsha

[Editor's note: a previous commenter mentioned that he/she deducted from the tip if the meal ran slowly.]

A waiter has to think 50 steps ahead so his or her six tables of six people are happy and taken care of. Then while the waiter has these steps planned in their head, a customer flags them down from across the room or interrupts the waiter while taking the food order of the next table because the customer decided to change their order ten minutes after the waiter put in the order to the kitchen. Or, they decide they want an iced tea after seeing the waiter just brought seven ice teas for your friends at the same table. Now, the waiter has to factor in these new variables. It is not rocket science or brain surgery, but it takes quick thinking, memorization and a heck a lot of patience. So, the next time you're penny pinching the tip that the waiter takes home to pay bills, relax." - Harold Vance

Help me help you!

"I can not make the cooks cook faster, and I wrote exactly what you told me you wanted. I want your order to be perfect also. So, please don't yell at me and short tip me because you didn't like the way your food tasted, there was a long wait time (especially when I'm clearly slammed), or the steak came out medium instead of medium-rare. I will do everything I can to fix it for you, and the only person that's getting punished is me." - Samma

"HELP US HELP YOU!!!! The golden rule applies here and for those of you whom have forgotten it - or those unfortunate enough to not have been taught it: 'Do unto others as you would have done unto you.' It's really that simple." - Server Scorned

Oh, I'll serve you all right...

"Yes, how dare we lowly servers expect a 20% service fee of you clearly harder-working honest folk? Why should you have to pay extra for something we already get paid $2.35 an hour before taxes to do? It's clearly our own fault for studying basket-weaving and calligraphy. Clearly we are leeches of society, living in luxurious penthouse apartments on your dollar! We are simply vagabonds looking for a handout. Shame on us! SHAME! Dishonor on our families! I am so sorry. Go on, continue to demand more lemons than anyone should ever need for one cup of hot water, and allow your children to write their names in ketchup on the table. After all, you deserve it!" - SkullPunter

"I really think that working in a restaurant, more particularly being a server, should be part of high school, or definitely something everyone should do before they enter 'the real world.' It teaches you manners, morals, how to talk to people, how to treat people and, more importantly, how to tip. The most common conception about restaurant people is that we are petty, stupid, little people who can't get any further than working as a dumb waiter/waitress, when in fact, we make way more money than the average Joe and we know how to do it with more skill than any college can teach you.

Not everyone can handle the stuff we do. A 9-to-5 day is NOTHING compared to even a 4-hour shift that we 'servants' have to deal with. Talk all you want, but see if you can last a day in the business!" - Katie Ayer

Complaints? Share 'em in the comments below. See more of The Bitchy Waiter's musings at thebitchywaiter.com

Previously:
Eat This List: 5 ways YOU delay your meal
Eat This List: 5 ways to complain effectively in a restaurant
It's pronounced hos-pi-tal-it-tee
Give a snarky quip (and no tip) and thy receipt shall end up on the internet
Eat This List: 7 deadly restaurant sins that keep customers from coming back
Keeping the peace, one table at a time
A life in waiting

Some comments have been edited for grammar and clarity.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • From the Comments • Restaurants • Service • Tipping

1. Very Simply

Springs1 needs to up the dosage.

January 29, 2014 at 7:23 am | Reply
    • James

I hope everyone one of the people in this thread realize that have eaten spit, boogers, the dead skin that is produced when you rub your hands together fast, crap from the floor, crap that collects in the stagnant liquid that collects over several weeks, etc. If you are an ass, you eat like one. Its simple. Nothing makes the job serving more enjoyable than doing something completely foul to the food of pricks, and watching them smugly eat it. Way to show the your server whose boss, while drinking from the straw that was on the floor before it was in your beverage. Additionally, you make us laugh with your petty tips. Oh no, I got $5 instead of the $6 dollars you would have left. Enjoy your next meal out. ;)

February 16, 2014 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  2. Private personal training

Exactly! "I go to a restaurant to be WAITED ON! When I have my 2-year-old (who also expects to be WAITED ON!) with me and the waiter does not give me a bad attitude, I leave a 25% (sometimes even more) tip, because my family got WAITED ON!" – Person

People just like having control and the power!

January 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm | Reply
  3. The waiter is a REPRESENTATIVE of the restaurant

and quite frankly, if you don't want to be treated like a SERVANT, then get a job where you AREN'T one.

Either way – stop your god damned whining.

December 8, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Reply
    • Blanket Statement

Love, love, love the 'just get a better job' argument. Dislike your job some of the time, some of the days? Have a rough afternoon, or a whole shift where things aren't going your way? Geeez dummy just get a better job! Its not like the job of your dreams isn't just waiting for you. All you have to do is just quit that lame job where you expect people to treat their fellow human beings with respect and then the MUCH BETTER JOB will be yours! Hopefully u don't have crazy things like a mortage or car payment or health insurance to keep demanding you try to scrap out a living. By all means quit that job and find a better one. Preferably a 9 to 5, where you don't work weekends. Or late nights. Or early mornings. Or snow days. Or holidays. Man, if only people could stop being lazy and find that BETTER JOB. And then they could proably re-form our economy so that no one is on un-employment ever and everyone just has that BETTER JOB. Thank you for the great idea. Problem solved.

January 29, 2014 at 1:47 am | Reply
      • Very Simply

Nicely put Blanket. Here's a list:
        Teaching job
        Trucking job
        Better job
        Nursing job
        Tech support job

With education & training, I could teach, drive a truck, become a nurse or answer tech questions. The only thing I can come up with to get a better job is to become a professional gambler.

January 29, 2014 at 7:33 am | Reply
    • TK

Quite frankly, your an A$$. Providing a service verses being a servant or being treated like one are two entirely different things. One has a choice and the other does not. Expecting you and your family to be waited on and having your a$$ kissed are also two separate expectations and trust me folks, It is expected in North America that you tip in full service restaurants and second, you could not afford me for the price of the second one. As a patron, you have a choice to come to the establishment and enjoy a meal, be welcomed and treated with respect and treat a food server with respect (Restaurant Representative) not like crap. Some parts of the experience may not be within the control of your server to prevent. Not all servers or patrons are created equally. Next time your boss, co-worker or customer in your business lane treats you like crap, review. Put in perspective, your boss, customer or co-workers expect a certain service from you and pay at "least a living wage" or Minimum Wage, for that service. You salary does not get deducted if you forget to say hello on a phone, or make 10 copies instead of 20. It would piss you off if they arbitrarily deducted your salary based on a perceived slight or fixable mistake. You are paid to do a good job, but they don't pay you for the privilege to treat you like crap or a servant either. I assure you most people in the food service industry want you to have a fantastic time without mistakes because in most cased that good time is directly represented by a good tip, that is expected to marry up the salary from $2.13 an hour to at least a minimum wage salary. I don't know of a single server who receive a paycheck greater than zero. . That does not excuse either party from good manners or common sense. That also means, when a server has 25 people in their section to take care of, waiting on people to hang up the phone, get off facebook, acknowledge you when you walk up to the table and say hello. While you potentially are paying for their time, does not mean you get to waste their time when other patrons are also potentially paying for equal time. All servers can say they have been patrons, not all patrons can claim the same. The information being passed here is to help about reasonable expectations on both parties. If you don't like the customs or want to tip based on what is within a servers control, then stay home, go to McDonalds or move to another country.

March 26, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Reply
  4. tessie may

I am so glad I have only once worked for anyone like Springs1. You are an absolute azzzz. But you knew that before, I expect. Your food has been spit on. Not by me but I have seen it done. The happiest day of my life was when I told that awful boss off in front of the entire staff. Not a problem as it led to a much better job. The entire management staff were happy to give me excellent personal references. Most of them left in bits and bobs over the next few weeks.

December 7, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Reply
    • The waiter is a REPRESENTATIVE of the restaurant

So you've "seen" servers SPIT in people's food? And I note that you didn't say that you INTERVENED so that they weren't served that spittled food.

And you expect we should TIP people that would either do that – or condone it and let it happen?

I'd like to think that I eat at restaurants where PROFESSIONALS work, not little petulant children that throw tantrums when they don't get their way.

December 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Reply
  5. Kristoph

The simplest rule of all: customers and waitstaff should treat each other as they would wish to be treated. I wonder if the customers who have the nastiest attitude about the waitstaff feel their employer should treat them the same as they treat waitstaff.

December 3, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Reply
    • The waiter is a REPRESENTATIVE of the restaurant

When my boss starts tipping me for getting the report in on time as I was told to do – THEN I might buy your argument.

I work for a SALARY. I don't expect extra money for doing my job correctly. I JUST EXPECT MY SALARY.

Maybe waiters should all quit doing their jobs until their employers just pay them a decent, living salary, and we do away with this incredibly offensive thing called TIPPING.

December 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Reply
      • Do away with tipping

As the person who cuts your hair. Or the person who parks your car. Or the person who delivers food to your door. Or the person who drives you home in the middle of the night. Or carries your bags to your room. Or the person who brings you food. Or serves your whole wedding party. You have 2 choices either, we continue try to make a living off of the tips that should be given to us to subsitute a living wage...or the price of food goes up to make the salary for waitstaff something way more than 2.13 an hour. And do not say GET A BETTER JOB. please outline and then help impliment your solution

January 29, 2014 at 2:27 am | Reply
  6. Customer

I have friends who work in the food industry as servers and I hear them complain about their job and customers regularly. They act as if the work is below them and feel they are entitled to tips. My advice to them every time is "Get a different job.", which is follow by "I would if I could." – If I get a server merely doing their job and nothing else, they get a small (if any tip). People who go out to dinner want a nice experience, they want to be served as if they are an important customer. People today have forgotten what dining out is supposed to be about.

December 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  7. Gwen0000

Don't call me 'Hon'. When I dine alone, don't greet me at the door with "Just one??" (Try saying "How many?"–that goes a long way toward setting my mood for my meal.) And to the creepy waiter at Applebee's last week, my 72-year-old mother is not a "young lady" and was disgusted by your flirting. At least keep it to a decade or two of your age group, 'Kay?

December 3, 2013 at 9:51 am | Reply
  8. jj

Just don't try to seat me in the bar for a restaurant meal and don't call me Hon or Sweetie.

December 2, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

I will note that plenty of us like sitting in the bar for a meal, so they may not automatically know that you don't. But perhaps they should ask if it's okay.

December 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Reply
    • Dave

The article is about servers. The host(ess) seats. Sigh.

December 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  9. Emmi

Cook at home. Americans eat out too much anyway. Perhaps that is why Ch13, etc., is on the rise.

October 30, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  10. What?

PS
    When I was a teenager I saw what happened in the back kitchen to jerky customers food, lol, seriously be nice or else.

August 31, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
  11. What?

Respect deserves to be had on both sides! I can not believe how insane or inane many "customer" or "idiot" comments are. When you are in a position to tip another or they're helping you, even if it is their job, you have an implicit duty to be cool. True character comes out at these times and sadly soooo many rude customers do not deserve to be treated well. Thank goodness some servers are jerks to jerks, good for them. :) Kindness is the rule for all involved and if you're not cool and you get treated poorly, good.
    It's the classic example of when a citizen is a jerk to a policeman or policewoman and then they're screaming "help, help" a moment later when they're in danger. You can't have it both ways.
    Be cool, generous, nice, helpful and avoid jerks, there's a lot more cool people out there to be around.
    Cheers.

August 31, 2013 at 11:40 am | Reply
    • Wanting2EatInPeace

Best response to a bad customer:

Customer – I am NEVER eating here again. I ordered the burger and all I got was ONE piece of meat. If there's only one, maybe you should ask if I was two instead. And you EXPECT me to pay for the second one? I am the customer and it's MY right to get EXACTLY what I want!

Waiter – If you wanted a second patty, you should have asked for it. And extra food costs extra. That's why a double costs more than a single.

Customer – How DARE you talk to me like that! I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN! I have freedom of speech!

Waiter – What a coincidence. So am I.

Hey, waiter? You're welcome on double the usual tip from me. I hated her, too.

October 31, 2013 at 2:10 am | Reply
  12. Ed

"If other professions worked on the same premise as our friend here, your boss should have the right to deduct 5% from your paycheck because you're slow at making copies due to the fact you had to wait at the copy machine for other people ahead of you to make copies, or deduct 5% because you did not hand in that report on time due to the fact you had to wait for the FedEx man to deliver those important papers you needed. A lot of people would not get a steady paycheck to pay their bills from month to month."

This was by far the best reaction. It sums up the arrogance and sense of entitlement that these customers have. They ought to be reminded "Be careful what you wish for." If such a rule applies to servers, it should apply to everyone else. There is no excuse and no reward for poor performance, right? RIGHT?

May 3, 2013 at 1:49 am | Reply
    • The waiter is a REPRESENTATIVE of the restaurant

""If other professions worked on the same premise as our friend here, your boss should have..."

...to tip me every time I leave at the end of the day.

I can see why someone with a mental defect that can't comprehend those simple thoughts has a hard time finding other, gainful employment, but really – you're a waiter. Get over it.

December 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Reply
      • TK

The waiter is a REPRESENTATIVE of the restaurant IS STILL AN A$$.

...to tip me every time I leave at the end of the day.

SINCE HE DOESN'T – AND I GET PAID A SALARY TO DO MY JOB – I DO MY JOB. If I don't like my job – I leave and get a new job. ******Does your job include dealing with the general public who have unrealistic expectations? Yes, you get paid a SALARY to do YOUR job. Servers do not get paid a SALARY to do their JOB. The never get the $2.13 base hourly because that money goes to pay the taxes based on the expectation that when YOU come into a full service restaurant, there is a reasonable expectation that the general public understands this and tips for service accordingly.

*********Get out of your tunnel will you. Your assuming that all servers are undereducated, illiterate and non-thinking drones who have the audacity to expect to be treated with dignity and respect. Stupid much? Your not that special. Your a patron, not a patron saint and dual respect is expected and appreciated. It seems you don't get treated the way you expect to get treated when you go out to a restaurant, you may just have unrealistic expectations, treat people like your better than they are (which you clearly feel you are). The problem in your world is you, and your not that special. You want to be treated right? Treat everyone, included "the waiter" who needs to get over it.

March 26, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  13. Eric Rathbone

Through all of this rancorous and often mean spirited talk all I can do is recall what I was taught from early childhood. To wit, money is not the mark of a gentleman but rather the way he treats those who serve him.

I cannot imagine being as bossy, overbearing, or demanding as some of the respondents here appear to be. Further, I have very, very rarely received poor service in a restaurant. Perhaps because I don't demand it but by a genteel manner induce people to want me to enjoy my meal.

May 2, 2013 at 4:01 am | Reply
    • springs1

"I cannot imagine being as bossy,"

Not being in a mean way, but we are the server's boss as to what they do next for the TIP we pay.

May 2, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Reply
      • Buck

"we are the server's boss" Actually that's not true and that's your problem. The server's boss is the owner of the restaurant. Just because you pay a tip, that doesn't make a server your employee. You as the customer are simply paying for a service.

May 7, 2013 at 9:10 am | Reply
        • Springs1

If we aren't their boss, then why are WE paying them to do what WE ASK them to do, huh?

Then the servers would not be paid from the customers for their service they provided if we didn't rule them on our every whim.

So yes, we ARE the boss because OUR TIP is at their mercy if they get it or not stupid,

May 7, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
        • Buck

Springs1, once again, you are only paying for a service. The only difference between this and many other services is that you're in direct control of how much you pay for that service, although 20% is customary for good service. The fact remains though that you do not allow the server to work at that restaurant nor do you make the call on whether to fire someone. In fact, a server can completely deny you service if you're being obnoxious. So no, you are not their boss as much as you'd like to believe. Seems to me that you're greatly suffering from some form of a Napolean complex and wish to feel more important.

May 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
        • springs1

"Springs1, once again, you are only paying for a service. "

Once again, without our money, the server wouldn't make ANYTHING LITERALLY, because the $2.13/hr all goes to cover taxes for very most part.

" The fact remains though that you do not allow the server to work at that restaurant nor do you make the call on whether to fire someone."

I actually help get 3 servers fired, for real. 2 were rude and one stole on purpose $9 of someone's change at our table.

So YES, we CAN CONTROL if you get fired or written up if you are a server.

" In fact, a server can completely deny you service if you're being obnoxious."

That's ANY BUSINESS regardless of who it is that is paying the worker. So what you are saying in that sentence is honestly IRRELEVANT and you know it.

" So no, you are not their boss as much as you'd like to believe. "

I sure am when I telling them their **********EVERY MOVE***************** they have to do if they want that tip, YES I AM THEIR BOSS. If they don't want my tip, then I am not their boss, understand, but they may not want their job either if they refuse to do something a customer wants.

May 7, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
        • Buck

Regardless of how you keep trying to justify it, you are still only a CUSTOMER. It doesn't matter that you have full discretion in determining the tip amount. That doesn't make you the boss. A decent server will still make money regardless of whether or not you in particular tip them. Why? Because they will get other customers that will tip them. Furthermore, you do not have final say on whether or not they get fired. You can point out issues to the manager, but it's the manager/owner that has the final say. I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand. Perhaps iit's difficult for you to accept that you aren't as important as you think?

May 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
      • TK

With all due respect, no. You are a patron in a restaurant coming in for a meal. The boss is the restaurant manager. The customers that come to your place of business, are also not your bosses. They don't get to dictate how you do your job, only that you are in fact doing the service they have asked for. The server runs their sections and follow the guidelines set up by the restaurant owners, not you. There job is to take care of all their customers within their section, restaurant etc. It also means that while they should accommodate reasonable requests, it does not mean you get demand, treat them like crap or expect to have your toes licked. If you walk into a restaurant with the mentality of expectation that your spouting here , its no wonder you have such asinine opinion. What crap... I the patron so I am the boss of you.........................drivel!

March 26, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Reply
        • restauranteur

Meh...you'll do what you're told. And you'll like it. Or you work elsewhere...

March 26, 2014 at 6:47 pm |
        • TK

I'll take that as humorous wit and not HUYA idiocy.

June 30, 2014 at 9:45 am |
  14. DigitalYukio

"Yes, how dare we lowly servers expect a 20% service fee of you clearly harder-working honest folk? "
    Yes, How dare you! Tips are discretionary and servers should drop that "I am entitled to a tip." attitude. I will tip according to you wait my table. If a server make mistakes on my order, I do not hold it against them, but they should corrected. A Cheerful attitude helps increase the tip, a bitchy attitude will reduce your tip! I have no issue with tipping in general, I just have issues with Bitchy servers.

April 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Reply
    • Buck

Servers should honestly expect a tip of around 20% when they provide good service. The problem is that the definition of good service changes drastically from person to person. Some servers believe they deserve 20% for just taking your order and bringing your food...even though they didn't do anything else like refill drinks. Conversely, some customers deduct from their tips for completely ridiculous things. For example, don't reduce a tip because you aren't happy with the shape/size of the ice in your water. And yes, that's actually happened.

April 23, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Reply
      • AndyM

Agreed. But "good" "adequate or mediocre." Doesn't mean I stiff them on adequate or mediocre, but I hear that a lot of waitstaff in the NYC area now regard 20% as minimal, and expect 25% to 30%. That's just silly.

December 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Reply
        • AndyM

That was supposed to read "good does not equal..." but it interpreted it as empty formatting brackets. Sorry about that.

December 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
  15. paula

". . .when in fact, we make way more money than the average Joe" – Katie Ayers. Well Miss Katie then why do you need our tips if you make so much money. I guess we all should rebel and return things back to the old standard of 10% for decent service and 15% for good service; instead of the 15-18% for decent and 20-25% for good service that it has been morphed into. Why should us lowly poor people pay you more than a pittance as a tip then? We all heard it here for a waitress they make more than most of us.

April 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Reply
    • sally

paula you sound like a horrible person.

April 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Reply
    • MISTY

What many people do not understand is that we pay half of the staff at our jobs. We have to tip-out the bussers, the hosts, the expeditor, and the food-runner. I am sure many of us would prefer to seat our own tables, bus our own tables, and run our own food; but they do not give us that option (I asked!) That is why it is 20-25%... Because only about 12-18% goes in our pockets. We make between 2 & 4 dollars per hour which is eaten up by taxes. We try our hardest to do everything you ask, and yet u feel u have the right to DOCK our pay because the kitchen forgot your mushrooms on your steak??? Really??? The cooks are the only ppl whom get paid hourly wages... Everyone else depends on our tips to make a living... think about that!!! And yes I do make a lot of money as a server because I work 10-16 hour shifts!!! On my feet with rude unappreciative people who believe I should lick their boots if needed. I am not a mean person, and if I came to your job and seen you on the phone with one of your clients; I would not yell "EXCUSE ME MA'AM" when you are OBVIOUSLY busy!!! So why would you tackle me when I have a tray full of food... I will check on you shortly!!!! Please and thank you for listening!

April 24, 2013 at 1:04 am | Reply
      • springs1

" yet u feel u have the right to DOCK our pay because the kitchen forgot your mushrooms on your steak??? Really???"

If you can ********SEE****** there are no mushrooms on my steak when you bring it out, then it's ******************************************YOUR FAULT********************************* IDIOT! You could have noticed it and told them *****************************RATHER THAN WASTE TIME BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IDIOT!

Usually mushrooms on a steak are on TOP of it that you can **********SEE******WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE FOOD, so even if another server runs the food, that person should have caught it if you put in the order correctly.

The kitchen staff is NOT responsible for leaving the kitchen with the correct items IDIOT! They don't leave the kitchen. Even at your own house, I hand you a pencil, but someone asked you for a scissors, you are going to not say anything? SERIOUSLY STUPID IDIOT! YOU HAVE NO COMMON SENSE! You compare your written order to the food to know that I had mushrooms on my steak. You tell them if they are missing. THAT *IS* 100 BILLION PERCENT YOUR FAULT FOR FORGETTING TO BRING THEM TO MY TABLE IDIOT!! If it's another server, they are at fault, but the tip still counts just the same, because that server "SERVED" us which is part of the service. The cook didn't bring it to us, SO WHY BLAME THEM when it's an OBVIOUS ERROR that you don't have to touch a thing to notice it's wrong or missing, huh?

I have EVERY RIGHT to dock your pay for DUH mistakes like that. If you I can see it without touching my food if you bring me my food, so could have *YOU!* You aren't blind or illiterate that you can't reread your written order. If you didn't write my order down, then that's your fault as well even if you put in the order correctly, you have to "SERVE" it correctly as far as things like that you can CONTROL!

You can notice if mushrooms are on top of a steak. You aren't BLIND? SERIOUSLY!

April 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Reply
        • Lol

@ springs1

You should really watch the movie Waiting... It might teach you what probably has happened to you on several occasions.

August 30, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
        • Mike C.

The server doesn't always run the food! I work in Ca. with a lot of Mexican workers that have trouble at times with reading the tickets because they print in English and they don't read English at times. They do really well under that circumstance but sometimes they themselves will cook food wrong or forget items. Then the expo plates up the food in a hurry and misses the mistake, on a tray it goes and the food runner delivers it. The food runner does laps around the restaurant delivering food quickly so they are moving at a fast speed! So fast that they don't read the ticket until they are physically delivering the food to the patrons. UH oh, forgot the mushrooms, now we have to fix that don't we? A GOOD server comes along and fixes that problem shortly. Now do you see that none of that had anything to do with the server, that is until they tried to FIX the problem for you? Makes sense, no?

June 28, 2014 at 7:24 pm |
      • springs1

"I am not a mean person, "

You are to say the "KITCHEN" forgot something OBVIOUS. For example, we had a waitress forget to bring out my husband's baked potato(a side dish). SHE was our waitress. DUHHH, you can see if no baked potato is on a plate. WHY mushrooms ON TOP a steak is ANY DIFFERENT?

You aren't a nice person, because a nice person would ******************************CARE****************************** if the plate had the correct items on it to CHECK IT OVER ***********************BEFORE**************************leaving the kitchen.

April 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Reply
      • springs1

"We have to tip-out the bussers, the hosts, the expeditor, and the food-runner."

I already know this, but that should make you work harder to CHECK over the food. If the customer can notice something is wrong on their plate when you bring it out WITHOUT TOUCHING THE FOOD, SO COULD HAVE YOU, NO EXCUSES!

April 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Reply
        April 27, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Reply
      • springs1

See that picture of the steak I linked in the above post. I am reaposting it again:

YOU ARE BLIND IF YOU CAN'T SEE MUSHROOMS, SERIOUSLY YOU STUPID LAZY ASS, IGNORANT IDIOT!

April 27, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Reply
        • PrinceCharles

What is your insane obsession with mushrooms on a steak? Have you considered therapy?

May 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
        • ServerWho CriesInTheCorner

omg i am so sorry that they forgot your mushrooms. What ignorant a**holes to forget them. I bet they did it just to ruin your night. It's not like they have 6-10 different food orders in their heads along with remembering to get that drink, bring them ketchup, take them extra napkins, extra dressing there. God aren't servers just so dumb to not notice mushrooms on one steak?...i'm so glad you weren't my table

May 7, 2013 at 12:00 am |
        • springs1

It’s not like they have 6-10 different food orders in their heads along with remembering to get that drink,"

I NEVER ONCE SAID "REMEMBER" ANYTHING YOU STUPID DUMMY!

It's called "COMPARE YOU********************WRITTEN ORDER********************* TO THE PLATE OF FOOD!

Mushrooms CHECK
          Steak CHECK
          Mashed potatoes CHECK
          Gravy on the mashed potatoes CHECK

NOW YOU GET IT STUPID?

May 7, 2013 at 7:29 am |
        • springs1

Read Demosthenes9 comment to me. He wasn't a lazy waiter, WHY do you want to be a server, uncaring, and DUMB server that wants to make more trips, huh?

May 7, 2013 at 7:36 am |

Demosthenes9 said:

"bsolutely right. As a waiter, it was ultimately my responsibility to ensure that EVERYTHING was correct with your food. Cooks would plate up entrees and the expediter would "build tickets" by collecting the correct entrees, adding the side items, and placing the plates on a tray to complete the order. (at least that's how it worked just about everywhere I have been).

At that point, the waiter SHOULD check each plate to see that the order is correct to include having the correct side items. Waiter should also make sure that the food is still hot and didn't "die in the window" while waiting for the order to be filled.

Lastly, a waiter who actually knows what he is doing can simply look at your steak and tell with some accuracy whether it is cooked correctly or not. (There are of course exceptions where steaks are "borderline", like right between medium rare and medium, or between medium and mid well.)

I have had any number of cooks yell at me because I told them to recook a steak before I even took it to the table. It doesn't take a genius to see a somewhat burnt steak sitting on a plate and to figure out that it ISN'T medium rare as ordered.)

The funny thing is, if waiters took the time to pay attention to the little details like the one's Spring mentioned, they would actually have MORE time on their hands to take care of customers.

Afterall, it takes maybe 30 seconds to check over an order and make sure it's correct. Failure to do so means that you now have to go all the way back to the kitchen, argue with a cook, get a replacement side item, then carry it back out to the table.

That time could have been better spent taking care of other tables instead. "

May 7, 2013 at 7:37 am |
        • springs1

" I bet they did it just to ruin your night. "

It actually DOES ruin my outing. Especially when servers are lazy like yourself that they didn't even **********TRY*********** to get my order correctly to me to the table by comparing the written orders to the food or even possibly not even wrote down my order even, which is even MORE LAZY.

"God aren’t servers just so dumb to not notice mushrooms on one steak?…"

They sure do LOOK dumb when they bring a plate that has something THAT OBVIOUS wrong. I mean if you REALLY did try, I will give you credit if you actually checked over my plate for errors and just missed it, but 99.9999% of the time, it's people like you that DON'T TRY THEIR BEST.

QUIT SAYING "REMEMBER", because no one expects you to "remember" anything except where you wrote it down.

You check your pad of paper that you wrote down the written order and compare it to the food for obvious errors like that.

Steak CHECK
          Mushrooms NO, have to get the kitchen staff to correct it
          Baked potato Check
          Sour cream on the side – Missing, have to get that corrected as well

See how EASY it is NOT TO "REMEMBER" things?

That waiter that I quoted made the time, WHY NOT YOU LAZY, UNCARING DUMMY?

May 7, 2013 at 7:45 am |
        • springs1

I expect you to *************CARE***************** about what you are handing me if you expect me to **********************CARE*************** as much about YOUR TIP, so the relationship between server and customer is EQUAL/EQUAL CARING. The customer doesn't just have to care about your income. You are VERY SELFISH if you think it should be just one-sided caring where we just have to care about your income. You have to care about us in order for us to care about you(your tip), DUHHH!

May 7, 2013 at 7:51 am |
        • Nikki

Wow, you are a real piece of work and not in a good way. Karma has a very nasty way of coming back to you and it looks like she'll be a real b_tch when she finds you. Hopefully, that will happen before you go to another restaurant. Just stay home.
          Per Penny/Big Bang Theory to Sheldon - for such a smart guy, you haven't figured out not to pi_s off the people who handle your food.

December 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm |

Nikki
          "Wow, you are a real piece of work and not in a good way."

You are. I am VERY NICE PERSON. I *CARE* about my server *IF* and ONLY *IF* they *CARE* about ME first. That's how tipping works STUPID IDIOT!

December 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm |

Nikki
          "Wow, you are a real piece of work and not in a good way. Karma has a very nasty way of coming back to you "

How when I am not the person that is mean here? I am a VERY NICE person. You sound mean.

"Just stay home."

I won't stay home.

"Per Penny/Big Bang Theory to Sheldon"

I don't watch that show to know what the HELL you are talking about.

December 5, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
      • christine

100% RIGHT....... YOU ARE RIGHT

June 26, 2013 at 7:01 am | Reply
    • TK

That is a correct statement. Do you honestly think that the person waiting on you and trying to meet/exceed your expectations in order to earn a better tip out percentage for that service is doing it for $7.25 an hour? Let's put this in perspective: Good serverswill typically earn on average about 18-20% on sales through out the course of their 4 hour shift. Depending on what day it is may mean additional food runners would be tipped out seperately from what is already calculated as a tip out based on their sales. Servers will tip out to other people in the restaurant for assistance 2-3%. Not all tables/customers/servers are created equally so you may get 10% tippers or 30% tippers so it all averages out to around 18-20% after they tip out the help. So, lets say I sell 1500 dollars during a four hour shift and I averaged 20% = $300. I then tip out $37.50 to the helper staff and maybe $10 bucks to a food runner. That leaves me 252.50 for a 4 hour shift which works out to $63.13 an hour. Now that is far better than minimum wage however, not everyday will be $1500 in sells or average out to 20% either but the money is far better than working retain or fast food for even $12-14 hour and working 8 hour shifts. Now, the government is goint to see those reported sales and hold the server responsible on the assumption that the general public will tip at least 15% on average, so that is what the server will end up having their taxes based off of. Which means if your don't tip that % just because you don't like the culture of tipping and feel it gives you some sense of self importance or power, than don't go out to eat at a full service restaurant. Fact is, it is part of the American culture. The morons who think servers need to be paid minimum wage so they don't have to tip are insane. You would turn a $63.50 hour motivated server into a $7.25 hour server, well then your gonna get the $7.25 hour service because you have removed the motivation for that server to try to exceed your expectations an earn a better tip. Also, your menu prices will also go up because the restaurants have to make up the cost somewhere. However, the statement from Paula is ridiculous. Tipping is part of our culture. If you walk into a full service restauarant and receive good/great service you should tip accordingly as is custom. If you did not get good service and by that I mean (things that are in control of the server), you should reflect that in your tip and tell a manager why you were less than satisfied. If a server really is that bad, it will be reflected on their overall income but not just because one table tips less than standard. PS. 15% was the standard 20 years ago and milk cost $2.50 20 years ago, so those people who are confused as to why tipping percentages have increase in the last two decades, is the same reason your milk now costs $4.67 a gallon – inflation and cost of living DUH! Back to my server point, mistakes will happen and as long as the server/management make their best effort to fix it, then understand there is no such thing as always perfect. If you walk in to a full service restaurant with an expectation that the people taking care of you are mindless drones, shame on you. If you treat someone regardless of what they do the same way you yourself want to be treated then its a non issue. If you like to be treated like an asshole and treat others like assholes, well there you go. If you happen to have a server who appears "self entitled" to an automatic % than that person won't be in the industry long and by way of showing disatisfaction with that persons performance it is directly affected by the tip you leave, and do them a favor and the management staff a favor and say something. Trust me, I get irritated by having to work with servers who spend more time complaining about bad tips and rather than realizing that if the server is consistently getting crappy tips, then its probably more to do with the server than the customers (in most cases). Do we need to discuss manners and ettiquette? Nothing irritates me more than when I am giving a table my undivided attention to ensure I am accurately getting their order, repeating it, describing steak temperatures and how the steak will look when they cut into it and another table can't wait the 10 seconds for me to finish with that table and will talk loudly to me to try and interrupt me and get my attention, while I am talking to another table. I will give you a look and tell you, I will be right with you, and I would do the same if another table interrupted me while I was giving you my undivided attention to. I am not going to stop what I am doing because you can't wait ten seconds for me to finish up, then check the rest of my section for needful things before going back to the kitchen/bar to put the orders in and get those said needful things. It is not acceptible or appropriate to interrupt a server talking to their other tables, a good server will check on you before they return back to the kitchen or at least make eye-contact and check to see you by chance need a refill or somethings getting low on your table. I don't want you to ask for refills, or to remove empty plates or trash, I am going to anticipate your common needs as part of that good/great service and get it to you before you ask for it. PS. If your on the phone, after you get seated, if you want my undivided attention, get off the phone so I can have yours. If you wonder why you don't get approached while you chatting on the phone, I am not going to intterupt your conversation. Additionally, when I walk up and ask you how your doing and you can't get off social media to have an iterpersonal conversation with me, I;ll come back around when your not so busy, cause I probably have 4 other tables that like my interpersonal attention.

June 30, 2014 at 10:22 am | Reply