National peanut butter and jelly day
April 2nd, 2013

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

We're celebrating the best couple in history, and you know we aren't foolin' around because it's April 2. Today is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!

Even Barbie and Ken didn't last, but peanut butter and jelly - or "PB&J" if you're into nicknames - will always be inseparable, timeless and incredibly delicious.

Back in 2002, a survey revealed that the average PB&J-loving American eats 1,500 sandwiches before graduating high school. Now, that's love.

It is an easy sandwich to slap together on your way out the door in the morning. For those who don't have time to spread peanut butter and jelly from two different jars, Smuckers made it even easier in 1968 when they introduced "Goober," a jar with alternating stripes of peanut butter and jelly.

Of course, PB&J doesn't restrict you to just these two complementary companions - toss in marshmallow fluff, bananas, honey, maple syrup, hazelnut spread, raisins, or even cheese, potato chips, bacon, pickles or onions.

If you want to try something a little different but still kid-friendly, peanut butter and jelly French toast is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. But, let us know in the comments below your favorite way to PB&J – and if you're adding anything funky to mix up your sandwich.

Posted by:
Filed under: Breakfast Buffet • Food Holidays • News

1. neotnec

Creamy peanut butter with grape jam – NOT jelly – is my favorite. Something about the pieces of grape in the jam mixed with the peanut butter is out of this world.

April 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm |
  2. Ally

I do believe I'm one of the few people on the planet that never liked PB&J. Jelly was always too sweet for me. I've probably only had 10 PB&J sandwiches in my life.

April 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm |
  3. Curlee

Is this considered a bank holiday?

April 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm |
    • Liberal Thinker

If we can't have a major Election Day off, how can we have PB&J Day off? However, please do enjoy your sandwich.

April 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm |
    • Jeff

Only for teachers because working eight months a year is so haaaaaaard.

April 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm |
    • If only

I wish or else I wouldnt be at work right now!

April 2, 2014 at 8:01 pm |
  4. PBJfan

The best way to enjoy a PB&J? DAILY!

April 2, 2014 at 11:28 am |
  5. Peanut Butter ATW

Tried Trader Joe's Chocolate Swirled Cookie Butter a couple of weeks ago. WAAAAY too sweet and <0 protein. No thanks.

March 31, 2014 at 8:10 am |
  6. Lamin S Camara

I come from The Gambia and this sandwich is not common here. I ate the sandwich 4 the 1st tym in march courtesy of my American friend ad it was very nice. Happy celebrations to everyone.

April 3, 2013 at 8:01 am |
  7. Gluten Free Challenge

I just found out about National PB&J Day today. I adore PB&J more than any other food and my birthday happens to be April 2! Coincidence? I think not!

April 3, 2013 at 3:33 am |
  8. Elvis

I'll travel halfway around the world for the best fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.

April 3, 2013 at 12:20 am |
  9. Ed G.

I greatly appreciate these food-of-the-day articles because someone at work is bound to ask "Where are we going for lunch?" I try to steer folks toward whatever that food-of-the-day dictates. But I have one request, would it be possible to add a paragraph at the bottom of these articles that says something like "Tomorrow is such-and-such food day. Come on by and join the discussion." I surely would have packed a PB&J sandwich for this one if I had known it was coming. Thanks.

April 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  10. Lauren H

My grandpa used to make grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my mom and then she would make them for us growing up. So yummy! Can't believe most people have never tried it.

April 2, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
  11. Truth™

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZAGBL6UBA&w=640&h=390]

April 2, 2013 at 10:41 am |
    • PBJ LOVER

THANK YOU! As soon as I read this article that song was going through my head.

April 2, 2014 at 10:36 am |
  12. thegunnysack

Happy Peanut Butter and Jelly Day! I made bars instead of the traditional sandwich! http://www.thegunnysack.com/2013/04/peanut-butter-and-jelly-bars-recipe.html

April 2, 2013 at 10:18 am |
  13. Truth™

I was absolutely raised on PB&J as a kid. Still like one once in a while, though I now prefer rye bread over white...

April 2, 2013 at 9:51 am |
  14. alr

I just happened to have a PB&J for lunch today. I like strawberry jam with my peanut butter but my hubby likes traditional grape, although sometimes, he will add honey to his sandwich as well.

April 2, 2013 at 9:09 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,316 other followers