Tabasco CEO Paul McIlhenny dies at 68
February 25th, 2013

Paul McIlhenny, the chairman and chief executive of the company that makes Tabasco sauce, has died. He was 68.

McIlhenny Company, based in Avery Island, Louisiana, said he died Saturday. The cause of death was not immediately clear.

"All of McIlhenny Company and the McIlhenny and Avery families are deeply saddened by this news," Tony Simmons, president of McIlhenny Company, said in a statement Sunday. "We will clearly miss Paul's devoted leadership but will more sorely feel the loss of his acumen, his charm and his irrepressible sense of humor."

McIlhenny was part of the sixth generation of his family to live on Avery Island and among the fourth generation to make Tabasco, the iconic hot pepper sauce.

He joined the 145-year-old company in 1967 and is credited with overseeing years of record growth in sales and earnings. He is also credited with introducing new flavors and products, and expanding where Tabasco brand products are sold.

Read - Tabasco CEO Paul McIlhenny dies

Posted by:
Filed under: News • Obituary

1. Steve

In Brazil, which has several hot sauces made locally, the one hot sauce found in almost every restaurant apart from the smallest local eateries, is Tabasco. Always the original. Not cheap, after import duties, but popular. I also saw commericals for it in South Africa– mainly for pizza. Sorry to above: it is NOT just spicey vinegar. Look at the ingredients.

March 15, 2013 at 7:36 am | Reply
  2. cowstastegood

Frank's and Tabasco are two different types of sauces. Frank's is good for wings and that is about it. Tabasco is good for oh so many other things.

February 25, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I disagree. I put Frank's on everything. I think they stole my motto for their slogan, look at the back of the label: "I put that &^%$ on everything!"

I ralways said that before I saw it on the label. Mind = Blown

I put franks in my Cream of Wheat once that's how much I love it. Tabasco is TURRIBLE. Turrible, turrible, turrible.

February 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  3. edwin

RIP McIlhenny.

I still don't see what the hype is over this stuff. It's spicy vinegar and nothing else.

February 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  4. Ms. Grammar

Totally agree – Franks RULES. As a former Buffalo, NY native, I can tell you that Anchor Bar used Franks when it "invented" Buffalo Wings, and still does.

February 25, 2013 at 11:47 am | Reply
  5. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

That's too bad. However Tobasco has to be the most terrible "hot sauce" on the market. Mostly vinegar with cayenne pepper. Vinegar is the main ingredient. Frank's is where it's at. Heck, even Louisiana Hot Sauce is better.

The only time I appreciated Tobasco Sauce was when we had to eat MRE's in the field. That stuff covered up the nasty taste of everything.

February 25, 2013 at 10:12 am | Reply