Heart Attack Grill's top patron dies of a heart attack
February 13th, 2013

John Alleman visited the Heart Attack Grill so often, the restaurant designed an entire line of clothing featuring a cartoon of its beloved "Patient Joe," and placed his face front and center on their menu. Now the restaurant reports via its Facebook page that its most loyal patron has passed away at age 52, from a heart attack.

The nighttime construction site security guard was never officially on the restaurant's payroll, but he was such a fixture at the Downtown Las Vegas restaurant, encouraging passersby to come in, he came to be known as its unofficial spokesman.

According to the Las Vegas Sun, Alleman suffered a heart attack while waiting for a bus in front of the restaurant, which boasts highly caloric menu items such as the 9,982 calorie Quadruple Bypass Burger, Butterfat Milkshakes and Coronary Dogs.

Alleman remained at Sunrise Hospital until his brother Paul, his only surviving relative, made the decision to remove him from life support on Monday. Alleman passed away soon after.

A statement on the restaurant's Facebook page read, "To all who've given hopes and prayers for John's struggle in the cardio vascular unit, it ended humanely this morning at 10am. Dr Andy and Dr Jon were at bedside as John slipped into the next world. WE LOVE YOU BROTHER!"

"Dr. Jon" refers to Heart Attack Grill's owner Jon Basso. He is neither a medical professional nor a stranger to controversy - or loss of his most avid fans. The restaurant's previous 575-pound spokesman, 29-year-old Blair River, died in March 2011 at the age of 29. In February 2012, the restaurant made headlines when another patron suffered a heart attack while eating a Triple Bypass Burger.

Heart Attack Grill is perhaps best known for actively courting fans and nayayers alike with slogans like "Taste worth dying for!" and "Cash only, because you might die before the check clears."

Menu items like lard-fried "Flatliner Fries," highly caloric "Butterfat Shakes" and unfiltered cigarettes abound, scantily clad female servers dressed as nurses take orders as "prescriptions," and a house policy allows diners weighing over 350 pounds to eat for free.

Basso told the Las Vegas Sun that he currently has no plans to alter the Grill's menu, though it will remain closed the day of Alleman's funeral.

Previously - Man suffers heart attack while eating "Triple Bypass" burger at Heart Attack Grill

1. samuel

How to add a new button to firefox navigation toolbar?

May 4, 2014 at 5:52 pm |
  2. Private personal training

Such bad food! I would love to try the Quadruple Bypass Burger, but i would never try to finish it. My heart goes out to the family of the guy
    who died.

January 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm |
  3. mo

Thank you, I've just been searching for information approximately this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have came upon so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain about the source?|What i don't understood is in reality how you're no longer actually a lot more smartly-favored than you might be now. You are so intelligent.

March 23, 2013 at 6:35 am |
  4. MedBiz

So BSBK, what does that mean 'not liable as a taxpayer'? By law hospitals must take critical patients. The taxpayer is not paying. Those that use that same particular hospital are paying. Those that are paying the same insurer are paying. I AM tired of paying for someone else's hospital bill! You want to be a great American? Then stop eating yourself to death – literally. I am in the OR when they take all the goddamn plaque from carotid artery surgery. People are literally eating , drinking, and smoking themselves to death. It is pure ignorance and, although there is no law against it, it hurts everyone of us. Those that are close to the patient, those that must assume the responsibility or financial liability to care for the recovering patient -IF they can even fully recover, and the rest of our country that has to pay for people that have no self control, no respect for their own body or life, and what looks like to be no capacity to think properly for themselves. They may be a dumb ass but it costs YOU as well as ME. Be a GREAT AMERICAN and take care of your body–that will reduce health costs in America!!!

March 11, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
  5. Matt

This story , to me, is a cautious example of the need to explore the variables of a "healthy diet". For example, the amount of "calories" is focal point of the discussion. However, does this fully explain the danger of a restaurant like this? What is it, in the meal, that is dangerous? Is it the fatty-meat or is it the bun, french fries and soda? Granted, most people that ate here, wouldn't throw out their bun or drink diet soda (I don't think diet is even offered), but the question, again, is what part of the meal it the actual bad part. I think it's harmful to assume that the entire meal is dangerous. Talk to people that have had success with low-carb diet and you'll see that they've dramatically increased their fat intake, while improving their lipid profiles.

Also, even though I'm not from America, one has to question the freedom and responsibility of the individual to make decisions. What's to stop this restaurant from being banned, like the large sodas in NY?

March 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • Amykins

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that when you're eating 3,000 calorie meals laden with pure lard that it's bad for you. If you put a stick of butter in a milkshake and drink it on a regular basis, you're going to clog your arteries with cholesterol. It's just simple biology.

March 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
  6. Buddha

Really? Shouldn't be in biz is number 2? I thought american's believed in freedom. WTF! Why is it that when someone doesn't like something they say there aught to be a law prohibiting it?

March 11, 2013 at 9:05 am |
  7. (futbol en vivo, partidos en vivo)

hi!,I like your writing so much! proportion we keep up a correspondence more about your post on AOL? I need a specialist in this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that's you! Looking forward to look you.

February 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  8. Ivan

I just got paid $6784 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do, Big44.ℂℴℳ

February 20, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  9. Lost

...over 350 lbs eats free? A restaurant that tells you from the outside sign that it's a death trap.

February 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • SJL

I dunno, I bet it would be ok if you went just once.

February 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
  10. Animal

If I'm ever in Vegas or if they open another, I'm goin!

February 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
  11. David

Anyone who eats regular at ths place obviously has mental health issues.
    It's not healthy behaviour, and we may laugh about it, but behind it all are people who's only enoyment in life is the food they eat. They may stand behind a thinly veilied disguise of indifference the Heart Attack Grill affords them, but in end it's really just an act of suicide, albeit a tastey one at that. At least they find some pleasure and the empowerment to fulfill their destiny.Thanks to the HAG.

February 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Animal

Hey Dave, go pizz up a rope. You have no business to place judgement on someone else when what they do doesn't impact your life. And don't give me crap about health insurance costs. Health insurance costs are determined the the insurance companies and the only thing they care about is screwing everyone.

February 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
      • Ruben

David is right , you just can't accept it. these people have given up , they have accepted their plight and given in to their addictions. So they figure, let me go out the way I want and be happy but they are not happy, they have just convinced themselves that where they are in life is their only option. It's sad but he's absolutely right.

February 20, 2013 at 6:40 am |
        • ygnabb

Spot on.

March 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
  12. ohsnap

If I were visiting the area I would go...just to say I had been. I love a good burger. But eat there all the time??? My heart and health says "No". I eat mostly vegetarian (no I'm not...it's just the way my diet plays out) but a once-in-a-while indulgenece is ok. The problem is...people don't view it that way. That kind of eating is a lifestyle to a lot of people. Couldn't do it.

February 17, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • sjorges2002

The food at HAG Vegas was quite good, and the atmosphere is fun and silly- great place.

May 29, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6
| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 9,987 other followers