Opinion: Chick-fil-A controversy leaves a bitter taste for some longtime fans
January 31st, 2013

Chefs with Issues is a platform for chefs and farmers we love, fired up for causes about which they're passionate. Virginia Willis, a graduate of L'Academie de Cuisine and Ecole de Cuisine LaVarenne, is the author of "Bon Appétit, Y’all" and "Basic to Brilliant, Y'all."

As a chef and food writer, I rarely eat fast food. The quality is generally atrocious and much of it is radically unhealthy. The menu offerings are the polar opposite of local and seasonal. There are dire implications concerning worker’s rights and wages, as well as animal welfare and factory farms.

It doesn’t matter where you are in the country, every interstate exit is identical with the same usual suspects offering the same sad sacks of chemically laced, artificially flavored fare, all swimming in high-fructose corn syrup. Cheap, fast food is at the core of what is wrong with our food system.

Yet, there’s one thing that trumps my French-training and chef sensibilities; I love Chick-fil-A.

As a native Georgian, it’s been a part of my life my entire life. Chick-fil-A is a Southern institution. It’s the only place in America where you can ask for a “half and half” and receive a perfect blend of sweet and unsweetened tea, not a dairy product. In truth, the quality of Chick-fil-A food is superior to many fast food establishments. The salads, slaws, tea and lemonade are made daily from scratch in the restaurants, not at a commissary kitchen seven states away.

My favorite sandwich is the classic fried chicken sandwich on the buttered bun. The steam from the slightly sweet, golden brown chicken condenses inside the foil-lined package and wilts the bread, just enough. I prefer plain, no lettuce, no tomato, just mayonnaise, and the perfect pop of sour pickle.

I’ve always known that founder Truett Cathy was a religiously conservative Christian. I applaud the fact that he’s closed on Sundays and strong in his faith. The outlets are part of the local community, supporting the schools and sports teams. I admire the work of Chick-fil-A’s WinShape Foundation in regards to foster homes, scholarships and education, food donations for disaster relief, first responders and the military. Service, volunteering and giving back are at the heart of Chick-fil-A, qualities I aspire to, advocate and admire.

I, too, am a Christian. I am also a lesbian. And while many religious conservatives think I am going to burn in hell and my existence is a crime against nature, I refuse to believe that God doesn’t love me because I am gay. I refuse to believe that God made a mistake.

I refuse to believe that something is wrong with me and I need “conversion therapy.” I refuse to call those anti-same sex marriage groups "pro-family" because that doesn’t include my very real family, my love and my commitment to my partner. I also absolutely refuse to believe that if I choose to marry another woman that I am somehow harming the institution of marriage.

Controversy erupted last summer with Chick-fil-A president and chief operating officer Dan Cathy's remarks about being against gay marriage, “guilty as charged.” It led to Mike Huckabee’s crusade, Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day and the subsequent boycott of Chick-fil-A by gay, lesbian and like-minded individuals, myself included.

The Chick-fil-A website states that the corporate giving has been “mischaracterized.” Well, there’s nothing “mischaracterizing” about their – now former – funding of the ultra-conservative groups such as Family Research Council, Eagle Forum and Exodus International, all aggressively anti-homosexual.

Just this week, gay rights organization Campus Pride issued a statement claiming that Chick-fil-A gave the organization's executive director, Shane Windmeyer, access to recent Chick-fil-A tax documents. After reviewing the company's 2011 and 2012 financials – which have not been released publicly – Windmeyer said Chick-fil-A no longer gives funds to “the most divisive anti-LGBT groups.”

For a long time, I cast a blind eye towards Chick-fil-A's corporate giving and, through my patronage, contributed to the very religious conservative groups that abhor my existence. Ah, the power of a chicken sandwich. But, when it all came to a head last summer, I could no longer ignore it. I quit supporting Chick-fil-A and said farewell to my favorite beverage, the perfect thirst-quenching combination of a half-and-half tea.

The truth is that Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was not about freedom of speech. It was simply a thinly veiled protest against homosexuals, period. Those swarms of conservatives weren’t lining up around the block getting waffle fries and chicken sandwiches to protest such lofty ideals as upholding the constitution and protecting the First Amendment. I believe they were showing that they are united against same-sex marriage and against gays, in general.

So, earlier this week I drew a shallow breath of relief when the news surfaced that Chick-fil-A wasn’t as aggressively homophobic and had quit funding the groups. The company website states, “Our intent is not to support political or social agendas.”

The recent news may have influenced me subconsciously stopping and picking up a half-and-half tea just this very morning, the first I’ve had since summer. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but going forward, I’m honestly not certain what I will do - if I will continue my renewed patronage of Chick-fil-A or not. Truthfully, I now have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth and sadly, my once perfect half-and half tea just doesn’t taste as sweet.

Previously - Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day and Fast food with a side of faith and Chicken and politics

soundoff (3,041 Responses)
  1. Private personal training Long Island

Beautiful thing about this country, you can always go to the restaurant down the block!

January 24, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Reply
  2. Richard

LOL Please tell me the headline wasn`t a double entendre. LOL

My wife and I used to eat at Homophobe-fil-A regularly, but not any more and never again, because we don`t support right wing hate groups, or knowingly do business with those who do. I`ve lived in Georgia most of my life and these right wing hate groups are the same hate mongering southern conservatives that used to bomb black churches, killing little girls and assassinated MLK Jr. They are no different today, supporting the genocide of millions in Iraq and actively destroying the lives of millions of "illegal" immigrant Hispanics in America. These people are nothing but a CINO (Christians In Name Only) cult of hate and greed.

By the way, they should stay open on Sunday, because nothing they do resembles the teachings of our Christ and Savior.

September 17, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Reply
    • ninagiovanni

I could have not said it better myself Richard, I'm a straight black women in America and I would never support this orgainization anymore, it's time people like us stood up and stop being selfish and realize it's a greater purpose than just some pickled ass chicken sandwich. I wold not support the KKK so I would not support CFA!

September 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Reply
      • itsme dudey

Chik fil a rules.

July 9, 2014 at 9:57 pm | Reply
    • itsme dudey

What hate speech?

July 9, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  3. phildilernia

I think the writer of this commentary missed the point of the "appreciation" day altogether. It was in fact a Free Speech support and not an anti-gay support. It was supporting a company who was getting bullied because of the beliefs of the owner which in no way impacted his hiring policies or customer service.

The writer can "thin" or "assume" anything he/she wants and thankfully still has a right to communicate his/her thoughts but once speech becomes "outlawed" or threatened by Government that is "anti-gay" then it is only a matter of time before a new electorate and a new culture in indoctrinated where speech that is "pro-gay" gets on the hit list.

The shame is that we just don't get it.

February 17, 2013 at 6:47 am | Reply
    • KT

Wow, it is a shame that YOU don't get it. I suppose ignorance is bliss though, so enjoy. But I suggest you don't post your stupidity as fact in the future – you just sound like a crazy person.

February 23, 2013 at 9:06 am | Reply
  4. Ken

Thank God for Chick-Fil-A.

February 16, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Reply
    • Rhodes Autry

how is that I am a lesbian and a Christian work? did you read that in the article? it is like saying i worship allah but am a christian... makes no sense

February 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Reply
      • andy

the same way a divorced and remarried person claims christianity –the bible is more clear on adultery and that reamarriage is adultery in the eyes of god

February 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Reply
    • G

Here is the problem with all this controversy. Everybody is doing something wrong in the eyes of God. I am doing something wrong (lying, stealing, etc) while a person who is gay is also doing something wrong, being gay. A gay person may be a good person, but like everyone else they have a sin (gay) that they are doing and that is what needs to be addressed. Hate the sin not the person. Like my friends who was once on drugs ( a sin) people who are gay (a sin) need to find a way away from this lifestyle. And just because a restaurant doesnt like approve of something doesnt mean you have to attack them for isnt that exactly what you say you are doing to them, being bigoted. In my opinion most Americans either dont care or really think being gay is wrong

February 17, 2013 at 2:00 am | Reply
  5. dan

Chick fil A chicken sandwiches have always been the best fast food chicken sandwiches in America. They were untouchable, but this company has shown its ugly hand, so now I dont like to frequent the place. LUCKILY, there is a good susbtitute for their chicken sandwich, as McDOnalds has done a good job of copying their sandwich. Just steam the buns when ya get home or ask Mcdonalds to steam the buns for you like they do that fish sandwich. BLAMO – its almost exactly like a chik fil A sandwich, without the religious intlerance and hypocrisy!!! Now Mcdonalds needs to make those waffle fries, and we can say ADIOS to Chik FIl A forever!!!!!

February 15, 2013 at 10:54 am | Reply
    • mramseymd

I'm so disappointed in Shane Windmeyer for leading CampusPride to drop it's protest of Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A Stores. In Mr. Windmeyer's explanation, he clearly states that Mr. Cathy has said he will never support same-sex marrriage. So Mr. Windmeyer is willing to accept second-class citizen status as long as Dan Cathy changes his pattern of donations? Dan Cathy has cleverly silenced a 10-year critic, and he hasn't changed his position at all. I do not support Mr. Windmeyer's decision, and I urge CampusPride to once again take up protest against Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A, until and unless he's ready to support equality for all. This is a SECULAR society; his religious beliefs should have nothing to do with his position on equality for all.

February 15, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Reply
    • Mark

How do you know that the franchise owner at your favorite McDonalds isn't anti-gay or ant-anything else..I know your answer already..out of sight out of mind...correct?

February 17, 2013 at 9:07 am | Reply
  6. Saul_Teload

The only mistake CEI/Chicken Man made was going public, and this is from a business standpoint. He already had the built in bible belt market and other conservative groups, all he did was alienate the opposite verticals (albeit, probably a short lived one for most if honest). Really, who cares what they fund, if you dig in to many other fortune 500's you will find the same theme/funding, most are just smart at not advertising their position (or speaking to the media).

You don't like or approve of gays? Don't become one. You don't want a abortion? Don't have one. Amazing how much wasted energy is spent on either subject matter when it does not affect any lives of the general public on a daily basis (how would this if you really ponder the thought? Other then mental stimulation by peers at church, their pastor, internal guilt or self hate, who cares? Lets solve world hunger and cancer/heart disease before we waste another ounce of breath on same sex marriage and or abortion.

Oops, that makes way too much sense. How else do we get a pulse out of our dying voting block.

February 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Reply
    • Crazy4life

That "makes sense" only if your not capable of actual intellectual thought.
      Your statement – "Don't like gays? Don't become one" is a ridiculous statement.
      I am sure those that don't, won't. However, they also feel that supporting and promoting the gay lifestyle/agenda endangers or encroaches on their value system and way of life. It's like your saying, "don't like noisy, obnoxious neighbors? Don't become one". Not "becoming one" does nothing to improve your situation.
      Same for abortion. Religious reasons aside – For those that feel that life begins at conception or shortly thereafter, they are fighting to protect an innocent life from being snuffed out.
      People try to make the abortion argument about groups who want to "take away my rights, invade my privacy, meddle with my reproductive privileges", when it has nothing to do with that at all. In fact, they could probably care less about what you do with your body as an adult.
      They have looked at both sides of the equation –
      Your inconvenience (brought on by your own negligence or irresponsibility) vs. A helpless baby being horrifically dismembered (remember – they see life as beginning at conception). They are fighting FOR the baby, not AGAINST the mother.
      If in England, say, the guidelines for legal abortion were raised from second trimester to, oh, lets say 3 years after delivery, and Brits were dismembering screaming, crying three year olds by the hundreds of thousands each year, how would you feel about it then?
      No difference to those who believe life begins at conception.

February 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  7. Bubba Rydel

I support this restaurant. Some groups call us Bigots. Some groups call their lifestyle perversion. The most important thing is that the discussion is kept open and alive. CNN and other Liberal outlets should not filter comments or belieifs just because they are pro-homosexual marriage. I personally don't care what people do...I do care when their agenda is not to preserve their personal freedom but to impose on mine. I will continue to support this restaurant.

February 5, 2013 at 1:07 am | Reply
    • mike

Bubba, how in the heck is being pro-gay marriage imposing on your freedom? You sound like you're complaining that they're being intolerant of your intolerance. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point.

February 5, 2013 at 11:48 am | Reply
    • bobo

Hopefully, someday with our technology.... we will be able to fix or prevent Gays from being born. Perhaps it is a Genetic thing. Hey.... we would love to cure baldness, why not Homosexuality????

February 5, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • Lee

The religious right is so wound up with what they believe that they don't know how to deal with actual FACTS. Global climate change and evolution are scientifically irrefutable, much like the earth being round, rotating on its axis and orbiting the sun. Gays are not an aberration of nature. Some of the greatest people I know are gay. And, though it won't affect much, I will not be ordering any Chick-Fil-A ever again. They got a boost from the bigots on Chick-Fil-A appreciation day. I actually appreciate that they made their opinions public. They may have stopped contributing to Anti-Gay organizations, but they are still anti-gay.

February 15, 2013 at 9:22 am | Reply
  8. Larry King

Chick-fil-a likes everyone that eats at their restaurants. They are in the chicken sandwich business not the gay business or the straight business. Just because the CEO has an opinion that differs from gay rights activists regarding gay marriage does not mean that Chick-fil-a does not like everyone that chooses to eat at their restaurant. It's the gay rights activists that are generating all the hate here, and trying to put their hateful feelings and manipulative tactics forward as if it is Chick-fil-a creating this. It's not. Gay rights activists are liars and manipulators. Gay or straight, you can eat anyplace you want. If you don't like Chick-fil-a then go eat at The White House in Anaheim. It's an Italian, gay owned business. But it's your choice. It's the gay rights activists that are so full of hate.

February 4, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Reply
    • NotYourBusiness

Larry, how would you feel if you found out that a business you frequented hated Jews and you were part of that community? What if you discovered they were financing anti-black organizations and your were African American? Would the food still taste as good to you, knowing you were funding groups that believed you were inferior, and could possibly back laws to hurt you and your family? Put the shoe on the other foot, Larry. It's very easy to connect the dots: if one company can do this to one community, they can do it to all.

February 5, 2013 at 9:18 am | Reply
      • BetterDeadThanFed

NotYourBusiness: There is a difference between hating someone (as you state) and hating their actions. I love my children, but I hate it when they behave poorly – i.e. not getting their facts straight and acting irradically based on their narrow views.

I love my homosexual friends, but I loathe their lifestyle. And, no, there is no scientific evidence that supports the view that homosexuality is a born trait; as there is evidence of trait differences between races (skin color), age, gender, and many other biological parameters that are not one's choice.

February 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Reply
  9. scb

Whenever I see that a company is closed on Sundays because they are religious and want to give their employees the day off to "worship as they please," I wonder why they don't hire any Jews. (Or just don't care whether their Jewish employees get sufficient time to worship.)

February 4, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Reply
    • mike

I honestly don't see the issue. The owner is Christian, so his company...that is his property...adheres to that schedule. I abhor the bigotry towards others, but being closed on Sundays is a non-issue. Some Jewish-run businesses are closed on Saturdays. What's the problem? Good for them. The "worship as they please" is code for "do whatever they feel like". I'm not seeing the outrage here.

February 5, 2013 at 11:52 am | Reply
  10. Joshua Dewal

I just got paid $6784 working on my laptop using these simple steps leaked on this web page. Make up to $85 per hour doing simple tasks that are so easy to do that you won't forgive yourself if you don't check it out! Weekly payments! Here is what I've been doing Rich45.ℂOM

February 4, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Reply
    • Larry King

Joshua Dewal is a spammer and a liar.

February 4, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Reply
    • Dan

He may be a spammer and a liar, but we accept him for who he is and do not discriminate against him. As long as he does not physically injure others, he is free to intellectually manipulate those whom are gullible. Since when is it "wrong" to influence others to conduct themselves in a manner which benefits the speaker? Was Charles Manson wrong to recruit others to join him? Or Jim Jones, or Osama Bin Laden? Can you honestly say that the world would be a better place if these people would have been captured and locked away long before they acted upon their ideals? Do the gays manipulate those who are gullible? Yes they do. Do the conservatives manipulate those who are gullible? Yes they do. Perhaps high schools should include courses on morality and independent thinking. Study the issues and their arguments, and make informed decisions.

February 5, 2013 at 10:46 am | Reply
      • MeanOldMan

You missed the point about Joshua DeWal. His comment has nothing to do with the current discussion at all but is rather pushing another work at home get rich with your computer scam that shouldn't even be allowed on this discussion page.

February 5, 2013 at 11:31 am | Reply
        • Rob Liz

You completely missed the point and should put your computer away. Dan is clearly being sarcastic and tongue in cheek about the source of discussion. He has turned what is clearly a spam comment into the focus of the original topic. Explaining this to you ruins the joke. I bet you're a blast at parties.

February 5, 2013 at 11:57 am |
        • Saul_Teload

Too Funny....MeanOldMan please subscribe to the Onion for more enlightenment.

February 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
      • mike

Thanks for the laugh, Dan. Looks like you hooked one!

February 5, 2013 at 11:54 am | Reply
  11. Wrathtard

Jesus loves gays and chicken sandwiches. He stated in Deutoronamics that 'let not one be mutually excluded from the other. For whomsoever harbors hate is misguided, and must as well accept the fry from the potato in criss-crossed manner to honor Me and My sacrifice. I mean, I freaking bled on a cross for you idiots. Now eat your damn sandwich and share it with a gay."

February 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Reply
    • Moris

"Jesus loves gays..."? Think again.

February 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Reply
      • Obi_donkenobi

Heh! Jesus *was* gay. Look at that beautiful, long flowing hair, the loose, flowing robes, the simpering expression. (Don't get your shorts too much into a knot – I'm of course kidding.) I do, however, question whether Jesus ever really existed, and I positively do not think he was the "son of God," because there's no evidence for His existence.

February 4, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Reply
      • mark

yes. Jesus even loves gays not because they are gay but because they are people. This is not to say that He accepts their sin however. But even gay people have the chance to repent from this sin and return to Him remembering that sin separates us from God. Our only hope is faith in Jesus..that guy who allowed himself to be sacrificed in a very horrific away that none should perish who believe in Him and turn from sin.

February 4, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Reply
        • stacheman

Always so much fun to listen to believers spout on and on with their little metaphors

February 4, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
  12. BW

I havent ate there in a year....not because I support or dont support any cause...but because I SURE DONT WANT ME BUYING FAST FOOD becomming an act to support any one eles's either.

February 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Reply
    • rapierpoint

By that logic, you shouldn't be eating or buying anything anywhere. Virtually all companies support some cause in one way or another. The article mentions many good things the company supports. Attacks on them for something they haven't even supported for a while is untimely not to mention risking all the good things they do.

February 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  13. ken

During Chick-Fil-A Appreciation day, a local gay group in Sacramento CA urged its members to support a specific Chick-Fil-A. It was a franchise and the owner was a gay rights supporter. It Appears that the Chick-Fil-A corporation has no problem with its franchisers giving their money to gay rights groups. This makes the Chick-Fil-A corporation more tolerant of different views than the gays who attack Chick-Fil-A for its views. This also means the attacks on Chick-Fil-A is also hurting many gay rights supporters among the company franchisers.

February 4, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Reply
    • SuperJ

Ken you are a LIAR on several levels. Chick-fil-A only has one franchise location and it is located at The Ted.

February 4, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Reply
      • Needle

SuperJ you are a LIAR on several levels. Chick-fil-A more than 1000 franchise locations.

February 4, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Reply
        • Wrathtard

OMG, everyone is a LIAR!!!!!!!!

Who can I believe anymore?

February 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
  14. stiefelgeiss

The best point this writer makes is how bad fast food is, especially for not even tasting good. How hard would it be to hock beans and brown rice or a small pack of steamed brussels sprouts out of a drive through? If it's not going to taste good anyway, it might as well be healthy...

February 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Reply
  15. Reddy

This article is fundamentally flawed. This lady on one hand says "I applaud the fact that he’s closed on Sundays and strong in his faith" and then says "I cast a blind eye towards Chick-fil-A's corporate giving and, through my patronage, contributed to the very religious conservative groups that abhor my existence"
    She likes Chick-Fil-A's religious affiliation but not their view about gays, because she happens to be one.
    I personally do not like when a company(public/private), an organization or public entity (school) affliate to a particular religion, even if that religion is Hindu which I belong to.
    I am proud to be associated with two best secular country's in the world India and USA. I do not expect religious bullying in either of these countries. We have countries like Iran, Pakistan etc to do those things.

February 4, 2013 at 11:57 am | Reply
    • Carole Moore

This is the only good fast food restaurant, in my opinion. Food is good, healthier than other joints, and the customer service is off the charts. The chief operating officer has a right to his opinion that homosexuality is wrong, but he does not refuse to serve them. If this writer doesn't like it, she can cook her own chicken .... it's not hard. Homosexuals act like such prima donnas. They would be better off not flaunting themselves as if they are some special species. Heterosexuals don't flaunt their sexuality. A person should not advertise their sexual preference because no one else cares.

February 4, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Reply
      • NotYourBusiness

Carole, "Heterosexuals don't flaunt their sexuality" ?????? Are you kidding????? At every restaurant you go to, every time you walk in the street, straight people are holding hands, hugging, kissing in public. Maybe you're blind to it because you're part of it. When you're not, you realize it's EVERYWHERE. Would you also tell traditional Hindu or Muslim people to stop dressing like they do, because they're flaunting who they are? Or maybe black people should use lighter foundation, because we might realize they're another race? You are bigoted, Carole. No one cares what you have to say. Perhaps you should learn a little tolerance for your fellow man.

February 5, 2013 at 9:25 am | Reply
  16. Too Little Too Late

Succinct and to the point. There can be no doubt that those organizations, companies, and others who discriminate against other human beings and choose to promote bigotry, intolerance, and prejudice should not receive the monetary benefits from those whom they target. They need to first issue a very public nationwide apology for mistreatment of these tax-paying citizens who undoubtedly suffer emotionally from such prejudice but who also vote and contribute much to society and who also are well-educated for the most part and hold important jobs countrywide. Again, no one who has been discriminated against, anywhere, should continue to patronize a business that is so radical and that thinks of them as second-class citizens. Period!

February 4, 2013 at 11:51 am | Reply
  17. palintwit

Keep all these sh!tholes south of the Mason-Dixon line where they will fit right in with all the other sh!tholes.

February 4, 2013 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • Georgia

All your jobs are now our jobs.

February 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Reply
      • palintwit

Some. But not all. And that's because you work for half the pay.

February 5, 2013 at 9:37 am | Reply
  18. LB Colorado

You should be able to donate where ever you want. This is sooo out there. Private business has the right to do what the heck they want with their money. I do not hear all of this garbage when you see the logo of support to the gay movement.

February 4, 2013 at 11:11 am | Reply
    • Robert

"I do not hear all of this garbage when you see the logo of support to the gay movement."
      Of COURSE you don't! Supporting LGBT does NOT HURT anyone nor infringe on anyone's rights, so there is NO reason to complain!

February 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Reply
    • Rich in NJ

Actually, you do hear protests in the other direction. Conservative groups tried to boycott JC Penney because they have Ellen DeGeneres as a spokesperson. The boycott went nowhere, but they tried.

February 5, 2013 at 8:09 am | Reply
  19. thesaj

So a company makes some radical changes in policies. Concessions to your cause. And you're questioning whether to support.

Here is what happens if you don't support after those changes. Why should Chick-fil-A care?

Rather, you should organize an appreciation day. A thank you. Saying this is where we needed you to go.

;-)

February 4, 2013 at 10:50 am | Reply
  20. palintwit

We arrive in rusty 1964 motorhomes.
    We bring our bibles and loaded assault weapons.
    We wear ridiculous clothing and have teabags dangling from our earlobes.
    We carry misspelled racist signs as we stomp all over the White house lawn.
    We eat Chick-fil-A and wash it down with Everclear.
    We are Sarah Palin's real Americans.
    We love the baby jesus but we love to boink our cousins even more.
    We believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old and that early man walked with the dinosaurs.
    We believe that nascar is a real sport and that Dale Earnhardt was a great American athlete.
    We are the birthers. We are tea party patriots.
    We are bigots and inbreds. We are toothless morons and we are proud.

February 4, 2013 at 10:36 am | Reply
    • JD

We are Leftists, and we only ever argue by lying.

February 4, 2013 at 11:12 am | Reply
    • Hansjoerg

You're just as bigoted to me it sounds like. NASCAR fans...really??? Fans of a freakin' motorsport? You're an idiot.

I'm an Obama leftist that hopes I never see your ugly bigoted face at my home track, because you're a tool and you're not wanted around.

February 4, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Reply
      • palintwit

It's a known fact that NASCAR appeals to teabaggers because it is they who enjoy watching shiny metal objects go around in circles.

February 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply
    • Hard Drinkin' Lincoiln

There you go again palintwit – driving the batsh!t's batsh!t. Outstanding! Keep up the fine work.

February 4, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Reply
      • palintwit

Thanks Hard Drinkin' . It's not an easy job, though.

February 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Reply
    • Wingman

Sweet! Now do Italians, Irish, and Asians! Get all of our funny bigoted stereotypes rockin at once!

February 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Reply
      • palintwit

Thanks Wingman but my area of expertise is Sarah Palin, birthers, teabaggers, evangelicals, etc. In short, anyone who believes that early man rode dinosaurs to church every Sunday.

February 4, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Reply
  21. Bill

I'm not gay, and I'm fairly indifferent on the issue of gay rights. However, the whole Chick-fil-A controversy left a bad taste in my mouth. I find their CEO to be a bigot. I haven't eaten there since the controversy, and not because of any major stand I chose to take. It's simply because I chose not to give my money to companies who act contemptibly.

February 4, 2013 at 9:07 am | Reply
    • Charles

This whole controversy reminds me so much of junior high school. If you don't agree with me then I'm going to take my ball and go elsewhere. Should we now all check to see if we agree with the owners of any store before we shop there? If I am homosexual and you don't believe in gay marriage then I won't shop and your store and if I am not homosexual and you believe in gay marriage, am I not supposed to shop at your store. It all seems so childish and stupid. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I suggest that if you like an establishment, whether a restaurant or whatever, then shop there. If you don't like their product, then don't go there. I just think we all probably have better things to do than spend our time checking out a store owner's beliefs before we decide to shop there. I don't agree with everything some of my best friends believe in, why do I have to agree with someone I don't even know before I shop there?

February 4, 2013 at 10:12 am | Reply
      • USA117

" Should we now all check to see if we agree with the owners of any store before we shop there?"

Yep. Why not? What if a store owner was anti-Ameircan? Would you still shop there because you love the fries? Obviously none of us have time to research every owner's beliefs and where his or her money is spent, but when these things come out, and the owners proudly admit to them, consumers have a right to vote with their wallets. That's the American way.

February 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Reply
        • NotYourBusiness

Hear hear!

February 5, 2013 at 9:28 am |
    • BigTexun

Bill,

We may not be gay. But can we really afford to be indifferent to groups subjected to bigoted bullying? Our youth learn how to be mean to each other from their parents own intolerance of people that are different. While many kids eventually learn to be balanced toward others, a small minority never do... Some of those go on to become destructive in our society.

It is easy to cast an indifferent eye on those that you don't identify with. But in doing so, it makes it ok for those people to become more isolated, and subject to more bigotry. It is not enough for each of us to claim we are not bigots. If you are truly not a bigot, you should be able to recognize that your indifference helps empower the bigots to continue in their ways.

I applaud you for recognizing the bigots, and taking even a small stand. But I challenge you and everyone to recognize that all of us deserve the right to live our lives as part of a community that cares for everyone. You may not need the same things as the LGBT's, but ALL groups have legitimate needs that deserve more than indifference from others.

If the scale were painted white on the end of being supportive, and black on the end of being a bigot, I see indifference at being in the 75% black range. If you are wondering why it is not closer to 50%, it is because I see indifference as the close companion to the bigot. I think Bill is less indifferent than he states, as he did call out the bigotry... So bravo that!

February 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Reply
  22. rasko41

Your God sucks. I don't care if he exists.

February 4, 2013 at 7:55 am | Reply
  23. Observer

Grow up.

The cure for mindless bigotry is education.

February 4, 2013 at 1:38 am | Reply
    • Andromeda

If this was the Middle East they'd light that retarded rainbow flag on fire and stomp on it, which I would love to see.

February 4, 2013 at 3:23 am | Reply
    • Georgee@Tard Nation

That may be. But it's also making you jealous. Take a pill o'caller of tards.

February 4, 2013 at 7:07 am | Reply
    • Observer

@What a nation,

I'm straight. Once again you have made a complete fool of yourself for everyone to see.

February 4, 2013 at 10:39 am | Reply
  24. Eric Stout

I find it amazing that the most hate filled responses to this are from those claiming to be those that are supposedly the most moral and righteous. If that is what your "god" preaches then he can shove his teachings and the followers that profess to believe in him.

February 4, 2013 at 1:22 am | Reply
  25. Nick

First of all, this article is a pitiful attempt at bringing back a retired social issue. Very poor form, CNN.

Secondly, if you are gay, you cannot be Christian. Period. The Bible is entirely clear on the subject. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of it you accept and which you don't. Either the book is valid, or, it is not. People that are gay and try to claim Christianity are the most pitiful people around. Trying to belong to a group that thinks you should burn in Hell is just astounding.

You can obviously believe in God. But if you're gay, you cannot realistically believe in the Christian God. If you do, you are completely in denial of reality.

February 4, 2013 at 12:34 am | Reply
    • John Hoard

Well I am sorry but you're wrong Nick. I too am gay and a Christian. If you knew very much about the teachings of Jesus (which are the real core Christian beliefs) then you would know that Jesus had nothing to say on the subject, nothing at all. His only mention that comes close, was in response to a question about divorce. The sole voice in the NT that condemns Homosexuality is that of Paul, who never met Jesus during His lifetime and who has been a controversial figure in Christianity from the earliest days. Your assertion that you have to accept the whole Bible–or have none of it–is just simplistic and–pardon me–but just as narrow minded as those you criticize. You have a brain and–I assume, a functioning judgment–one can pick the parts of any philosophy or religion and choose to ignore the irrelevant and spurious. Perhaps you should study how Thomas Jefferson literally took a pair of scissors to the Bible and cut out all the material not spoken by Jesus and produced the Jefferson Bible–devoid of the distractions of heresy, superstition and fluff. Any conscientious Christian can–indeed must–do the same thing Jefferson did.

February 4, 2013 at 1:04 am | Reply
    • rasko41

The Bible is a bunch of BS, and your God sucks. I don't give a damn whether God exists or not.

February 4, 2013 at 7:57 am | Reply
    • ezgoer89

What a pathetic hypocrite you are and what a small uneducated world you must live in. I actually feel sorry for you.

February 4, 2013 at 8:40 am | Reply
  26. chuck wagon

I guess this article reflects tolerance by the definition itself:

Tolerance –

2a : sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own

February 4, 2013 at 12:06 am | Reply
  27. Balitmore_Me

Quite honestly this article was a waste of time and space. You don't want to eat at this chicken place? Who freaking cares! I am sure there are LOTS of places that don't want me to eat at their establishment because of what I represent – do I still frequent there? Yea if I am hungry. Please don't over dramatize your little issue in being gay and not feeling welcome. Welcome to living life. You're not important because your gay. You're just looking for an excuse. None here – you're just like every other person that occupies space and is breathing air. Get over yourself.

February 3, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Reply
  28. robert

what a garbage article .So lemme get this straight.You believe that the God of the bible created the world and that Christ died for your sins and was raised again,but then you have the audacity to claim to a all powerful God whom you said you believe in that because the lifestyle you wanna live doesnt match what the Bible says your going to disregard that and do what you want.Talk about no substance or integrity behind your convictions.I would have more respect if you said you didnt believe in God,but to acknowledge him and do what you know goes against his word is basically thumbing your nose at God and pretending that as long as you act self righteous it doesnt matter what God says.You really think God will say "you know i thought homosexuality was a abomination,but since you seem so passionate about it,it doesnt really matter what i think,i mean all i did was create the universe ,so go ahead and live your homosexual lifestyle.ill look the other way and act like it didnt happen."I could go on and mock you more for your idiocy but if you really believe in God then your best to take his word seriously and not try to make excuses for why you rebel against his word.We all sin and have issues that are hard for each of us to overcome,but that isnt the problem, if you deny that it is sin and try to justify your actions then you arent just overcome by the bondage of sin but youve embraced it as more valuable than everything else in life,even more valuable than truth.

There will be alot of hateful and vile responses because i show passion about my convictions but they are to be expected in this corrupted world.If you really do have any belief in God you need to ask yourself,do you value your desires or Gods desires more ,for even Satan and demons believe in God,but they don't follow him.

February 3, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Reply
    • Observer

Robert,

"if you really believe in God then your best to take his word seriously"

So you believe in slavery and discrimination against women and the handicapped, right?

Or do you just pick and choose like when you pick on gays?

February 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Reply
      • ala-kat

yes. I do pick and choose when I pick on gays. and blacks. and whites. and straights. and women. and men. and the elderly. and the children. and the rich. and the poor. I pick very carefully. I don't pick on people. We all have a cross to bear, be it what it may. I have empathy for all but the most horrific of the bunch. Wish all the rest smoothest of sailings.

February 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Reply
    • Pmdww2

God loves all of his children, gay and straight.

February 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Reply
    • Observer

Pmdww2,

You seem to be a Christian who actually follows the critically important Golden Rule. I wish there were far more Christians like you.

February 3, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Reply
    • Against Self Righeousness

Wow, Robert, let me just start off by saying you're a sad person. Why is it that you kind of Christians have to give all Christians a bad name.

You are very wrong on almost everything you say. Must I remind you that the Bible was about 2,000 years ago by not God himself but....wait for it...MAN! The same man that wages wars and sins left and right.

I am 100% sure that if I asked you why you think homosexuality is an abomination you would say for the bible says so. And it does. Leviticus 18-22. I want to sell my daughter as sanctioned in Exodus 21-7. She speaks Italian and is a very good cook. What would a good price be? As an Airline Pilot I am required to work on the Sabbath from time to time. So are doctors, police, air traffic controllers, and even the President of the United States of America from time to time because sickness, crime, travel, or domestic and foreign issues don't rest. Exodus 35-2 clearly says they should be put to death. Here's one that's particularly important to football fans (btw, Im sad the 9ers lost)...Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean, Leviticus 11-7. If they promise to wear gloves can the Ravens still play? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town have to be together to stone me if I want to plant two crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments from two different threads? Mr. Robert, homosexuality makes you obviously uncomfortable, and Christianity gives you an excuse to air your bigotry shrouded in the blanket of religious righteousness. From where I sit, and believe me I am very informed about this topic, that thinking reflected the best thinking of its time. It's just plain wrong by any modern standard.

February 3, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Reply
      • Nick

The argument you are making is not an argument against 'Christianity hating gays', it is an argument against Christianity itself.

And it is a valid one. But if you ARE Christian, then you have to accept that God is opposed to homosexuality. This is clearly stated in the Bible. And you either accept the Bible as valid, or, you dismiss it as invalid. You don't get to just keep the parts that you like and pretend the rest isn't there.

February 4, 2013 at 12:37 am | Reply
        • Against Self Righeousness

Nick didnt you read my post? If we're supposed to follow everything the bible says they why cant fathers sell their daughter as sanctioned in Exodus 21-7? Doctors work on the Sabbath. Can we kill them as mandated in Exodus 35-2? Leviticus 11-7 says touching dead pig skin makes one morally unclean. Does that mean the 49ers should go to hell? Come on Nick. That whole "We can't pick and choose what to follow" is a weak argument. Until you, myself, and every other christian starts living life as the bible says to – tooth and nail, then this whole homophobic argument when you peal away the layers of Christian self-righteousness you find pure bigotry.

February 4, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • chuck wagon

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

February 3, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Reply
      • Observer

Chuck wagon,

How about quoting the Bible where God says that r@pe victims are forced to marry their rapists? Why not skip the hypocrisy?

February 4, 2013 at 12:20 am | Reply
        • chuck wagon

Observer feel free to post the verse in reference.

February 4, 2013 at 1:09 am |
        • Observer

- Deuteronomy 22:28 “If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and r@pes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels (about 1¼ pounds) of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.”

February 4, 2013 at 1:17 am |