New Barbie-themed restaurant is all dolled up
January 31st, 2013

Taiwan. Home to the first Hello Kitty-themed café, Hello Kitty-themed airplanes and now - taking cute perhaps one step too far - the world's first Barbie-themed restaurant.

Licensed by U.S. toymaker Mattel, Taiwan restaurant company Sinlaku on Wednesday opened the Barbie Café on Zhongxiao road, one of the busiest shopping districts in the capital, Taipei.

The café's decoration, costing TW$50 million (US$1.7 million), is mostly in suitably Barbie-style magenta and pink.

The furniture couldn't be more princess-y - bar tables look like the heel of a stiletto, chair backs resemble bustiers (some with a tutu) and chandeliers are shaped like elegant teapots and teacups with saucers. Barbie dolls and logos adorn walls and tabletops.

Read the full story - Tutus, tiaras and tiramisu: World's first Barbie restaurant opens

Posted by:
Filed under: Asia • Bite • Restaurants • Theme • Travel

1. alfa

We love Hello kitty and Barbie,, Thanks for your contribution of hello kitty lover.

May 3, 2013 at 3:06 am |
  2. Penelopanter

I just got paid $6784 working on my laptop using these simple steps leaked on this web page. Make up to $85 per hour doing simple tasks that are so easy to do that you won't forgive yourself if you don't check it out! Payments are paid every Friday! Here is what I've been doing Big44.ℂOM

February 1, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
  3. Powers_of_grayskull

I want a Masters of The Universe-themed resturant.

'By the Power of Grayskull....may I take your order?" LOLOLOL Orko-Burgers and Skeletor-fries.

Make it happen Mattel!!!! Or maybe a Max Steel resturant.That'd be cool

January 31, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • AleeD®

I like the way you think. He-Man burgers w/Battle-Cat-shaped fries. I'm there!

February 1, 2013 at 6:40 am |
    • VladT

Why no superhero themed restaurants? I have been a die hard Batman geek ( and proud ) since about age 6. If Commisioner Gordon were to bring me a Two-faced pizzs ( pesto on one side, tomato sauce on the other ) I would be ecstatic

February 1, 2013 at 8:15 am |
  4. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

What is it with kiddie things in Asian culture? Anime, Hello Kitty, etc.

January 31, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • Jason I.

Our culture has no shortage of entertainment and branded products for children, either. There's nothing to 'get' about the things you speak of. It's consumerism and easy to understand.

January 31, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • Weeds

Playboy was one of the first to have a girly themed restaurant (night club). After Hooters, it was only a matter of time for Barbie to make her debut.

January 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
  5. Truth™

Oh, for the love of all that is holy, just NO!

Makes "Tilted Kilt" look dignified and refined by comparison...

January 31, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • RichardHead

Barbie Eli has a new restaurant to hang out in during Super Bowl Sunday.

January 31, 2013 at 9:57 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,611 other followers