Coffee klatsch
January 25th, 2013

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Jerv

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful time during the holidays. Work has pretty much shut down non internet usage. Oh well, I needed to catch up on some reading anyway. Take care all.

January 26, 2013 at 11:15 am | Reply
    • RichardHead

" You got some esplainin' to do Lucy " --How 'ya doin Lil' Buddy? The girls at DDD must have kidnapped you and Pop's.

January 26, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
      • Jerv

Hello Texas Chaser! I hope you and WD are trimmed up and ready for trucking. ( You know how Sir B and 2 like to man scape. ) I'm in the process of getting a computer for home to get online. Work IT is draconian now. Be safe my friend and everyone else.

I cant wait to read this. "Eat This List: 6 kitchen skills I have yet to master"

January 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Reply
        • RichardHead

What...NO Pooter @Home? No wonder the Internets have Not evolved.:)) I think my weakness on cooking–especially the Grill..is fish. That crap stinks–sticks to the grates and makes a general overall mess. Besides,I'm Not a good MasterBaiter,unlike yourself and SirB. Gotta pick on 'ya when I can...Utube has all the evidence.

January 27, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
  2. Truth™

Dangit!
    Moderated again for using the word "hardc0re"...is that one on our list?

January 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Reply
    • MicheleG™

The ModBots are remarkably prudish.

January 25, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Reply
  3. Sir Biddle

Lets all go get tattoos this weekend!!!!

January 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®@Sir Biddle

Holy spell check, Batman! That must be how they roll these Untied States.

January 25, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

Too funny!! Spelling and grammar especially counts when you can't backspace and erase.

I have two but no words....

January 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Reply
      • Sir Biddle

None here as I saw too many guys in the military wake up with a wacky tattoo they thought was the coolest thing 8 hours prior and drunk as a skunk. Of course I Duraflamed the situation a few times. Dude that's awesome, yea get the Tweety with a top hat and an M-16 in his hand. Sure, have him flipping the finger, why not – you only live once! Put an ace of spades card behind him as well!!!

January 25, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Reply
        • Mary Shannon

I'm a late bloomer, got them both at the same time when I was 48. One is a very tasteful wrist circle of small blue flowers and leaves, with a symbol on the inside of my wrist that is the initials of our parents and Truth and I overlaid so it looks like one letter. The other is a pink bunny on my shoulder.

January 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
      • Truth™@Mary

Two?

A recent addition?

Share with the class, unless it is somewhere unmentionable...

January 25, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Reply
        • Mary Shannon

No, nothing new, you saw the shoulder one through a lace shirt I wore, you just forgot.

January 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
        • Truth™@Mary

That's right, I did forget...

January 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • Truth™@Biddle

No ink or piercings here, though I had an earring for a while back in the 90s.
      Used to be a hardcore runner, and after my first marathon, I had a woman in my life suggest I get the Nike swoosh and the number 26.2 on my calf. Never got around to it though.

January 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  4. Truth™

Having trouble posting today...

January 25, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Bummer. Must be those Scottish gremlins celebrating inside the network.

January 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Reply
    • AleeD®@Turth™

Not enough see-alis in your morning brew?

January 25, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  5. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Based on what read around here and other threads, I have come to the conclusions I have the least amount of income by far of anyone here. I never go on vacation anywhere and haven't been outside a 60 mile radius of my home since last summer. I'd like to go somewhere for once in my life.

/rant

January 25, 2013 at 11:05 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

ROADTRIP! Gotta do a roadtrip man!

January 25, 2013 at 11:07 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Yeah, I need to. It's always just been to a relative's house.

January 25, 2013 at 11:10 am | Reply
        • AleeD®@Jdizz, but seriously

Where would you like to go? A specific place, culture or climate?

January 25, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

My first stop would be NYC. I would take a train out there and get a cool sleep car and look out the window. Then check out all the sights and restaurants. I've always been fascinated by NYC dating back to Sesame Street. Never been there, though. I hear it's not all it's chalked up to be but I'd rather see for myself. I'd also like to check out NOLA.

Then off to Wash DC to check out the Smithsonian and Air and Space Museum then depart to Amsterdam (of course). I would wander – Italy, Turkey, . Eventually Australia. I'd follow a trail of good food.

January 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
        • AleeD®@Jdizz, but seriously

NYC? Cool. Before 2009, I had never been to NYC. Depending on what you want to do, NYC can be anything you want it to be. FWIW, it was everything I hoped it would be. Now that I've been, I want to go back and take hubby this time. I didn't get to "do" the Statue of Liberty that trip, but now I'll have to wait 'til the storm damage has been repaired. So we're planning a trip around that.

Coming from, living & working in a tourist Mecca of sorts, I treated my trip to NYC like a tourist: new place, open mind, see some sights and don't take anything too seriously. We found a cool hotel that didn't cost a month's mortgage (The Pod Hotel in Manhattan) and walked everywhere we planned to go. Oh, and the food was phenomenal. I now understand what everyone's been saying about NY pizza. it's not my favorite, but at least now I see the difference.

Bottom line: treat yourself to a getaway before you burn out. The fact that you're even talking about this is a strong indicator that you need a vacation (speaking from experience)

If you aren't comfortable planning it yourself, there are still alot of travel agents out there who will be more than happy to help you. Do your research first to figure out what you want to do when you're there, then shop travel agents. We're AAA members and are going to use them to plan a trip to Bermuda ... soon.

January 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
        • Sir Biddle@Jdizz

Gotta agree with Alee, take a trip if even small and/or by yourself. It will pay dividends not financially but life experiences as a whole. It will do good for your soul. Talk to enough elderly people and they will all say they wish they spent more time with family and traveled. None of them will say they wished they had worked more.

You're half way there with the mindset of a dream trip, just make it, or something, happen little by little.

January 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • Mary Shannon

Don't feel bad, I suspect some of it is age-related. Based on your posts I think you're younger than some of us, I can speak for me, Truth and RH, I know we're all over 45. I suspect some others here are as well. Be patient, you have lots of life left to live!!

January 25, 2013 at 11:34 am | Reply
      • MicheleG™

I think I'm one of the oldest and poorest....... but, hey, I have my brains (I think)

January 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I'm 31. I've had to start over about four times in the last 5 years. That doesn't help. Moves, jobs, and relationships. Child support doesn't help either.

January 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Reply
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I'm just frustrated.

January 25, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
        • Truth™@JDizz

Tried to send this earlier, but have you considered volunteering overseas. A friend of mine is always trying to get me to do a month at Lotus Children's Center in Mongolia. Google it. You would have to get your own airfare, but still a cheap way to see the world.

And for the record, I envy you your time in Korea. I had a layover in Incheon, and we took the bus into Seoul. Looked like a nice city. I am sure you saw a lot while there.

January 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

A little, but always figured it would have to be with the Peace Corps and those seem to be long tours. I would feel like a terrible father to an 8 year old if I did that. Didn't know about the short options. It's something I'll have to look into and save for. Will probably take a year or two to build up PTO and funds. Thanks for the tip.

That's what she said.

I think it's just the last few months culminating in angst. NGF debacle (which I haven't really elaborated on here too much – it was a year in the making), trip #2 to "The Facility" which I haven't talked about until just now, two of several situations leading to a very scary financial situation. I hear the phrase "It gets better" a lot. I don't see it yet. Maybe in a few months.

Now, what do I owe you therapists?

January 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
        • Truth™@JDizz

No charge, it is all covered under Obamacare.

Should we book you for the same time next week?

January 25, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
        • AleeD®@Jdizz

If you'd like some physical "therapy," I have a few hours free in the dungeon. I'm sure Sir Bid won't mind if you take some of his weekly scheduled time under the cirKUMstances.

January 25, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
        • Sir Biddle@Jdizz

It sounds like you have a lot going on and I don't envy you but the one thing you have to keep up with is your humor. No matter how crappy things can be, you have to keep you humor. That will get you through tough times. I'm not going to give you a speech about how it will get better, because frankly it may not, but you have to use your humor to rise above all the challenges in life. I mean the humor advice in general, but YOU specifically have a heck of a sense of humor. To the end, I still credit you to the reason I was drawn to Eatocracy 2+ years ago and why I still come here to this day.

Keep your chin up and know this venue is always a platform for humor, advise and support. You can also have my dungeon time with AleeD. Just close your eyes and find a happy place. That's what she tells me when the cotton swabs of ether are placed over my mouth.

January 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
        • Mary Shannon

For what its worth, I'd give up the trips I've taken had I been able to have a child of my own. You may have missed out on some life experiences so far but you got a real bonus.

January 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
      • RichardHead

I may have to check my library card to verify this statement.

January 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Reply
        • Mary Shannon

Takes one to know one.

January 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • M T Nest

Hey JDizz, idk you like everyone else does, but, I know what you're saying. Road trips are great, even if ya do it in a day. We have done that. Pick a spot, leave early, come home late, & save the hotel $. Of course, ya have to enjoy alot of driving...lol...but it works till a real vaca comes along. Sorry to butt in, just wanted you to know what we have done. Good luck, you seem like a nice guy!

January 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  6. Truth™

Good morning all, and a special shout out to the East Coast Klatchmenons who are suffering through the cold. Keep the faith, and stay warm. We're thinking of you!

A longstanding Denver tradition in January is the National Western Stock Show. Every year for two weeks, it is all over the television and radio. One of the popular features is "Mutton Busting", where little kids can take their turn riding a sheep, just like bull riders. What is VERY touching thouogh, is that after all have had their turn, they are lined up in the arena, and the real cowboys come out and surprise them by presenting the kids with trophies (often taller than the kids themselves). VERY cute, and VERY touching.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNcSuGoPGU&w=640&h=390]

January 25, 2013 at 9:37 am | Reply
    • MicheleG™

BIG "Like!"

January 25, 2013 at 11:15 am | Reply
  7. Mary Shannon

Good morning! Yes, it is cold here, 11 degrees as I write this. Quiet weekend with little football, guess I'll have to catch up on my DVR'd shows.

Oh...I see its Robert Burns Day today!!! I had the great experience of being in Scotland and attending a Burns Supper a few years ago, great fun, great whiskey and haggis...two out of three ain't bad.

January 25, 2013 at 9:37 am | Reply
  8. Photo Caption™

AleeD relaxes over coffee and juice, secure in the satisfaction of having trained another slave to do her bidding. In this case, cooking her breakfast.

January 25, 2013 at 9:20 am | Reply
  9. Sir Biddle

Morning Crew! What trouble can we stir up today?

January 25, 2013 at 8:37 am | Reply
  10. RichardHead

Good Fryday Morning my Friends......I've got an assortment of HOT Fried Pies for Everyone....as long as AleeD will quit poking her finger into them,trying to figure out what flavor they are. BTW--You've got Mail. Looks like a cold one in the Northeast so stay warm all.

January 25, 2013 at 8:32 am | Reply
  11. spacecalculus

Good Morning!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjxH_a5U7wA&w=640&h=390]

January 25, 2013 at 7:54 am | Reply
  12. AleeD®

It appears someone left the door open last nite and let in some Ethacure Jiangsu fungus in. It seems to be running amuck aboot the hoos. Gross.

January 25, 2013 at 7:37 am | Reply
  13. Alee D Alarm Clock®

Wake up! It's Fridayyyyyy!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzptZ9wieQ&w=640&h=390]

January 25, 2013 at 6:43 am | Reply
  14. Photo Captain®

Not actually reading the paper, she contemplates putting her librarian's glasses back on to further taunt Sir Biddle while he's trying to make his breakfast.

January 25, 2013 at 6:41 am | Reply
    • Snausages

Polish Kielbasa? Fried Bologna?

January 25, 2013 at 8:26 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

I WISH the Biddle kitchen looked that nice! I must have been making Irish pancakes as I am certain that's a bottle of Jameson near the toaster.

January 25, 2013 at 8:36 am | Reply