January 8th, 2013

You can't take it with you, so you might as well drink it down by the dram. Lyle Shellenberg made a special trip to Hillsdale Liquor in Portland, Oregon to make one extravagant purchase.

KPTV reports that Shellenberg purchased a 50-year-old bottle of Glenfiddich Scotch whisky at a price of $27,000, making him one of only 50 people in the world - and six in the United States - to own this special release.

Shellenberg's love for Glenfiddich was born some 40 years ago when he toured the distillery with his grandfather. The retired businessman told KPTV, "I could have spent money on a sports car or something else. I just happened to choose that I like Glenfiddich Scotch and this was interesting to me, it was different, it's not something somebody down the street or someone else in Oregon has."

The bottle arrived at the liquor store in a locked leather case, and Shellenberg plans to crack it eventually as a special event to share with his family. "But then there comes a time," he told KPTV, "The seal's going to be broken and opened because I just have to know what it tastes like."

If you had $27,000 to spend specifically on food or booze, how would you do it? Go nuts in the comments below.

Previously:

- Whisky whets investor thirst for 'neat' returns

- The Hollywood glitz of Japanese whisky

- Bourbon for beginners

- Five ways to make yourself a whisky connoisseur

- Bourbon beyond the glass

- Bottle of whisky sells for $200,000

- Scotch distillery turns whisky into watts

- Scotch on the rocks

Posted by:
Filed under: Sip • Spirits • Stunt Booze

1. Willow

Sorry, but $27,000 is too much to spend specifically on food or booze when you make less than $40K/year. I would prefer to invest it. Perhaps I would include liquor stocks in those investments, but it's not good to put those eggs in one basket.

As for Scotch, I've had it, but I would never spend anywhere near that amount of money for it. I'm a red wine girl myself.

February 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Alex

If you ask me, the insane price tag probably makes people think its some kind of elixer

January 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  3. BldrRepublican

Unfortunately, Glenfiddich tastes like panther pis s.

Lagavulin? Now that's a different story!

January 10, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • James Cullen

I'll take a Barrel of Jack Daniels. No reason to get fancy

January 11, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
      • Al

congrats to the gentlemen on his purchase.
        May he enjoy it in good health.
        NO ONE HAS A RIGHT TO TELL THIS MAN HOW TO SPEND HIS MONEY!!
        really, mind your business.

SIR, ENJOY YOUR SCOTCH. I WISH I HAD $27K TO SPEND LIKE THAT!!!

January 12, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
  4. BldrRepublican

What a bunch of jealous crybabies! Why aren't you castigating P-diddy or Lindsey Lohan on a DAILY basis for what they spend on DINNER!!! What does Kim Kardashian spend on a single vacation? What does Angelina Jolie spend on a single room makeover? What does Paris Hilton spend in a single evening?

Atleast this is something this guy has saved for his entire life. Let him enjoy it...and stop being so jealous!

January 10, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
  5. goofy

shame on him for not giving the money to a local homeless guy so he can buy 27,000 cans of old english 800 instead.

January 10, 2013 at 8:11 am |
  6. ericgoestoholland

While I think paying that much for something you're going to drink is an insane waste of money, and something I would never do, I'm glad to hear that he's at least going to drink it. Unless they're going to resell it later, I can't stand it when someone buys a bottle of wine or scotch and just lets it collect dust, employing it as a status symbol.

January 10, 2013 at 7:33 am |
    • Willow

If I were him, I'd have a taste and then sell it in small quantities to people so they could have a taste, too.

February 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Mark2323

You people are downing this guy for this once in a lifetime puchase. But I do not see any coments about the hollywood crowd who spend 5 times this much on one party.You should be downing them and boycotting there over price movies not this guy.

January 10, 2013 at 1:20 am |
    • Rick

why should you down anyone for spending their money how they choose?

January 10, 2013 at 6:58 am |
      • Vince

True!

January 10, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • Marky Mark

Don't tell me who to diss punk.

January 10, 2013 at 6:58 am |
  8. EMT 4life

Who cares what he spends his money on. If I had that kind of money I would probly buy a nice bottle of liquor too. Its his money who are to tell him how to spend it. People dont tell me how to spend my money and I dont tell people how to spend theirs. Charity? Im sure most of you preaching about charity dont even donate to charity yourselves so why preach to him. Its his business people. Leave him alone

January 10, 2013 at 12:13 am |
  9. wilson

I don't care that he spent his money on it. I'm just wondering how stupid a person has to be to spend that kind of money on something so frivolous. I wonder if his kids had to go without while their daddy saved money for his life long dream of owning an expensive bottle of booze. Moron.

January 10, 2013 at 12:07 am |
    • Won

50 years IS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!

January 10, 2013 at 12:50 am |
  10. GiGi Eats Celebrities

Car or Bottle of Scotch... I don't think this guy thought this all the way through. Ha.

January 9, 2013 at 11:58 pm |
  11. wizard

Lotta people complaining that he didn't give it to charity, but if you own any of these, you need to look in the mirror:
    $100 shoes, $40 jeans, $100 dress, jewelry of ANY kind. Or how about...if you eat at restaurants, if you eat candy, if you drink anything other than water. It's HIS money...fix yourself before you try to fix him

January 9, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
  12. Driveby

My guess is that this guy's searching for something he's probably not going to find in that bottle.

January 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
  13. Limeybeanzzz

Yes, it would be great if he donated that money to charity or some other good cause mentioned above BUT it is his hard earned money (or not) but it is his money and kudos to him for spending it the way he pleased! Contary to popular belief, it is HIS money, not ours!!!!!!!

January 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
  14. dissidentfairy

Would you choose water over wine? Old scotch over helping starving children to survive!

January 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
  15. agentxyz

He thought giving the money to a good cause but then he said, naah i'll just buy this bottle of scotch.

January 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
    • sameeker

I suppose you think he should have given it to some church so that they could drink it up instead.

January 9, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
      • agentxyz

Although he is proud to advertise that he has so much cash that he can basically throw it away, he still retains three things: stupidity, conceit, and anomie. It signifies that he has nothing outside of himself that he values.

January 10, 2013 at 1:41 am |
        • Rick

" It signifies that he has nothing outside of himself that he values."

You have no idea of what outside of himself he values, you have no idea of what charities he supports....

January 10, 2013 at 7:02 am |
    • Errogant 2

The money he spent on that one bottle was enough to pay the wages, that feeds the family, of one lower-level worker at Glenfiddich, for most of a year. Consider that someone who has enough money to buy a ridiculous price for whisky might also give more than a fair amount to charity on a regular basis.

January 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
  16. cpc65

Chump. It's going to taste like he spent about $2600 too much on a bottle of Scotch.

January 9, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
    • mr.butters

So it's going to taste like $24400 Scotch?

January 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
  17. wow

cool story bro; I love CNN!

January 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Really?! That kind of money on booze.. not perhaps, charity?

January 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • anonymous

while giving the $27k to charity would have been great- spend your money how you choose.

January 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  19. Johnp

BRING BACK TO THE UNITED STATES "KNOCKANDO" SINGLE MALT. I AM IN PAIN DUE TO ITS ABSENCE. IT IS A SO SMOOTH TASTE DEFINING SCOTCH. LOVE IT - BUT CANNOT BUY IT IN THE UNITED STATES.

January 9, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  20. Argle Bargle

Some people have more dollars than sense.

January 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
  21. Neighbour

If I had that much to spend on food and drink, I would give it to people who need it. But hey, it's all a product of the great capitalist system that seems to be working perfectly so far. Glenfiddich is cheap junk anyway, what a rube.

January 9, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • Thurston Howell III

People are poor because they are stupid and lazy. Let the vermin starve.

January 9, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • Errogant 2

Maybe he already gives quite a lot to charity.

January 9, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
  22. Gary

Rock on Dude!! It's your money. I love a good single malt. Glenlivet is in my price range,... sometimes even spring for the 18 year old bottle..... Taliskar tastes sharper but is also very nice.

January 9, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
1 2 3
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,367 other followers