5@5 – Hair of the dog cocktails and hangover tips
January 1st, 2013

Overdid it with the booze a bit last night? You're in excellent company. Twitter and Facebook abound with tales of over-consumption, repentance and just plain old pain after the revels of the New Year.

Luckily for you, Jon Harris, lead bartender of Firefly in Washington D.C. is too much of a pro to leave you hanging. He's got recipes, tips and cautionary tales to cure what ails you.

Hair of the Dog Cocktails and Other Hangover Tips: Jon Harris

1. Brandy and Coffee
This is the original, adult version of the popular Red Bull Vodka. I think it's best taken with cream and sugar. When I was working in London, I had a regular at my restaurant who'd always order a double espresso with a side of brandy.

I recall making one of these for myself the day I moved back to the US. I'd been out all night the night before with my friends and used this pick-me-up to navigate the nightmare that is Heathrow Airport. Going through Heathrow with a hangover is like taking a walk in some Tim Burton-esque macabre fantasy world. People with Cockney accents are yelling constantly and there's all these twists and turns to get to the gates and you have to muddle your way through a weird garish mall thing.

If you're ever in this situation, a recipe: buy a coffee to go, pour out some, then buy two mini bottles of brandy from duty-free and dump it in the coffee. Or, just order one on a Sunday morning at your local bar to sip while reading your Sunday paper.

Brandy and Coffee
1.5-2 oz cheap brandy (St. Remy VSOP, e.g.)
Coffee
Cream and sugar to taste (optional)
Stir and enjoy!

2. Corpse Revivers
These were a class of drinks popular in the late 19th and early 20th century when imbibing before noon was perfectly acceptable. Of course this idea went the way of the dodo as even lunch martinis became taboo, but if you are ever in need, this drink does the trick. The brightness of the citrus flavors wakes you up, the gin numbs the headache, and the piquancy of the absinthe sharpens focus.

This recipe comes from Harry Craddock's Savoy Cocktail book published in 1930. Craddock, of the Savoy in London stated that Corpse Revivers were "to be taken before 11 a.m. or whenever steam and energy are needed." Additionally, he warned, that "Four of these taken in swift succession will unrevive the corpse again."

Corpse Reviver No. 2
3/4 oz each of gin, Cointreau, Cocchi Americano (or Lillet Blanc) and lemon juice
1 dash absinthe
Shake and strain into a martini glass.

3. The Relapse Cocktail
This an original recipe of mine from some years back. The recipe is based on the Master Cleanse, which requires its sufferers to drink naught but a lemon, maple syrup and cayenne pepper concoction for a week or so to cleanse the body. It's a ridiculous diet in my opinion, but it is somewhat tasty. Tastier still with a spot of rum.

The Hellfire Bitters, with a habanero kick, will bring you back to life in a snap, and maple syrup is perfect for the morning. Skip the pancakes or waffles and have one of these. (If you don't have Hellfire Bitters, a dash of any kind of bitters with a dash of Tabasco will work). The original inspiration for this recipe was an ex-girlfriend who'd constantly try out the cleanse only to wind up drunk somewhere with nothing in her belly but booze and Master Cleanse and calling me to pick her up. Here's to you, darling.

Relapse Cocktail
2 oz dark rum (I like El Dorado 5)
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz maple syrup
2 dashes Hellfire Bitters

4. Fizzes
Cheers to classic morning drinks: eggs for protein, citrus for brightness and soda to ease it down. My favorite versions include the classic gin fizz with egg whites, the Morning Glory, with Scotch and absinthe, and the Ramos Gin Fizz.

Gin Fizz
1.5-2 oz gin
3/4 oz lemon or lime juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
Egg, either the white, the yolk or the whole thing
Soda
Shake everything but the soda, strain into a glass without ice and top with soda.

5. Non-booze related tips

IVs: I met a nurse not too long ago who told me that she takes IV bags from her hospital and administers them to herself or friends who have over done it. Apparently it's a wonder cure according to a friend who's gone through the IV process a few times. They even have buses in Vegas that cruise the strip administering IVs to imbibers. If you have access to a hospital and the blessing and aid of a healthcare professional, get some IV bags.

Lacking an IV: Pour a glass of coconut water and add some Hellfire Bitters (or whatever hot sauce you have on hand: Tabasco, Sriracha) and chug it. The spice will wake you up and clear your sinuses, and the coconut water will give yourself some much needed electrolytes. Take some Vitamin B12 and aspirin, and go find yourself a nice, greasy bacon, egg and cheese bagel.

Previously - The Hangover Part Ewwwww: crowdsourcing a cure

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Hangovers • Holidays • New Year's • Sip • Think

1. Niel Cohen

I'm very happy to find this site. I wanted to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely liked every little bit of it and I have you book-marked to see new stuff on your web site.I was surprised you're not more popular because you surely have the gift.

June 21, 2014 at 11:50 pm | Reply
  2. Dave the Brave

Dead right about Heathrow Airport, Jon. If anything's likely to give you nightmare visions, it's Heathrow, not a hangover.

January 2, 2014 at 7:32 am | Reply
  3. Dave

Best thing I have found is to eat a small bag of potato chips in the morning. Gets the salt back in your system you lost the night before.

January 2, 2014 at 3:35 am | Reply
  4. GordonX

this guy sounds like a moron like most bartenders. another unskilled labor high school dropout "mixologist"? pop the bottle cap and shut up please.

January 1, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  5. Fast Eddie

A Hot Sauna with a cool off period. Repeat the cycle. Hydrate with lots of H2O while enjoying the process.

January 1, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  6. Freddo

"I met a nurse not too long ago who told me that she takes IV bags from her hospital ..."

Great ... she's STEALING supplies from a hospital because she – and her friends – are drinking like fools.

January 1, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  7. sybaris

Before you go to bed make yourself puke then drink at least 24oz of water. If you have to get up to "p" then drink more water.

Hangovers are caused by dehydration

January 1, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  8. tonka1

smoke a joint and be done with it

January 1, 2014 at 11:14 am | Reply
  9. korean clothes

dictionary has chosen UNFRIEND as the word of the

December 28, 2013 at 7:12 am | Reply
  10. Michael

You guys need to have "the" Canadian Hangover Cure on this list!

The BLOODY CAESAR
    -2oz. Vodka
    -5oz. Clamato Juice
    -dash of worcestershire sauce
    -dash of tobasco sauce
    -cracked black pepper
    -celery salt rim
    -lime wedge
    -1/2 tsp. fresh grated horsradish

lip the glass witrh lime wedge, dip into celery salt, pour vodka, clamato over ice...add worcestershire, tobasco, grated horseradish, cracked black pepper and squeeze the juice of the lime...

......chases all the dogs away!

January 11, 2013 at 8:49 am | Reply
  11. shpaget

The solution is simple – because of it I haven't had a hangover in 20 years.

Drink a couple of glasses of water before going to bed. If necessary, drink another when you get up. If you pass out before drinking water, make drinking at least a liter of water the first thing you do when you get up.

That's it.

A hangover is 10% withdrawal (that's why "hair of the dog" helps) and 90% dehydration.

January 3, 2013 at 8:54 am | Reply
  12. Bark Dog

I go to Taco Bell and scarf down a 6 tacos, it acts like Roto Rooter with your system. Take a nap, a few Advil, then get drunk again. Listen to some metal music and tag a chick or two. Problem solved.

January 2, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Reply
  13. ManWithThe1000PoundBrain

Drink water and GATERODE before bed and after you get up. You lose a lot of water & electrolytes from peeing so much.

January 2, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  14. princessofphangoverpain

Rootbeer the sugar calms the tummy and the noncaffine gets you feeling normal.

January 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Reply
  15. archchuzzlewit

Personally, I'm not trusting some random bus full of people cruising up and down the street to give me an IV even if I'm dealing with a MASSIVE hangover.

January 2, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Reply
  16. boarddog

Beer + tomato juice and a 1/2 of a 5 hour energy drink. Good to go!

January 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  17. SteveDave

Smoke some weed. That always seems to do the trick.

January 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Reply
    • MacInBlack1970

Hear Hear my Friend! Works for me so well that I RE-upped before the holiday! I was low any way! :)
      Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft COGH COUGH!!!!!!!!!

Cheers everyone ! Here's to a Happy and Healthy Green New year!

January 2, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Reply
      • Rick

cookies are good, too

January 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Reply
    • sam stone

Actually, weed in place of alcohol assures no hangover

January 3, 2013 at 1:19 am | Reply
  18. Conrad Shull

Hangover – a legitimate medicinal use for marijuana.

January 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  19. FirstAve

Don't be a wuss and just have a beer.

January 2, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Reply
    • Leroy

Back in my drinking days, a 64 oz. gatorade always did the trick. When I'd go and get all the booze I would get for the night at the store I'd buy two of those gatorades, just in case, one gatorade wasn't enough. Once I was done drinking I'd down that gatorade and in the morning I wasn't struggling. True story.

January 2, 2014 at 1:38 am | Reply
  20. AleeD®

Hangovers are largely caused by dehydration. While it's smarter to drink water while you're indulging, if you do find yourself with a case of the morning-after effects, drink water to rehydrate. Lots and lots of water. That practice has gotten me thru more than one tequila party painlessly.

January 2, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  21. Bob

2 tsp liquid dramamine + 1 Tylenol 3. You won't be in any shape to fly a moon mission, but it nullifies the hangover, you'll be able to eat a simple meal, and then settle in to watch NFL football. I've had hangovers, but I haven't suffered from a hangover in over 20 years. This works! None of this amateur crap about hair-of-the-dog, or other home remedy failures.

January 2, 2013 at 10:44 am | Reply
    • Ed G.

If you drank enough to have a hangover, please don't take acetaminophen. It's really, really bad for your liver.

January 2, 2013 at 10:54 am | Reply
  22. magnus

I'm confused. This article states that to cure your hangover is to drink more alcohol. Seriously? I mean, really?

January 2, 2013 at 9:19 am | Reply
    • pookiemontana

Hey it actually works lol

January 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  23. chuck

we're not all drunks like you Tim. This isn't an AA group.

January 2, 2013 at 1:29 am | Reply
  24. Tim Dare

Do what I did and it's a 100% no hangover at all.................quit drinking! I love it , it's awesome. I've never felt better in my life.

January 2, 2013 at 1:19 am | Reply
    • MacInBlack1970

Smoke weed instead mr. straightedge!

January 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  25. Bookldy209

Always enjoy a nice coffee and brandy but think you mean Facebook and Twitter "abound" with tales of over-consumption. Something very creepy and maybe even illegal about nurses and IVs, though. ;)

January 1, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Reply