Coffee klatsch
December 31st, 2012

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Jimmy Buffet w/ Martina McBride

"Yes, I'll make a resolution,
    And I'll never make another one...
    Just enjoy this ride on my trip around the sun..."

January 1, 2013 at 4:06 am |
  2. Tommy Tucker the BAD Mother Trucker

Hmmmm,sounds as though we have all matured enough to realize....we are too damn old to Party like we did years ago. Balls Dropping,High Balls,Big Blue Balls....Yes Kidz,it's the end of the year. Let's remember those we've lost,make a toast to those we Love and try as hard as we can to make our inner selves better in the coming year. Happy New Year my good friends and family. Get well soon Kat.

December 31, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  3. brooklynmunch

So, just what is it that so entices us about good food, good drinks, and good times with good friends? I suppose it’s a culmination of things; some more sentimental, like memories of family dinners or the certain way your great-grandma prepared her meatballs. Perhaps others more self-indulgent, like a good stiff drink to ease the chaos of every day life or to avoid delving into deeper matters of the heart. Or–maybe–it's just present-day comfort, a big bowl of mac and cheese to process the busy weeks ahead, the 9 to 5's, the pleasure of fleeting weekends. Beyond our primal instinct to put food in our stomachs; food is a beautiful thing.

All I know is that food–a good meal–is our home away from home. From the times of New Amsterdam and Old Gotham to current day N-Y-C, one thing has remained consistent. Here in New York City, many of us are far, far away from where we began our journey; some from Jakarta or Sydney, some from Guangzhou or Peshawar, Ercolano, Stockholm, Conakry or Basse Terre. Others, like myself, from just a quick train-ride’s away. Remarkably, we all bring the recipes and meals and flavors of our homes, our families, our cultures and traditions right here to this very place. We live in a major gathering point, a cultural hub. Queens is the most diverse place on the planet; every country is represented here in New York. At a time where differences are so prevalent–no matter where we are, no matter who we are or what we believe–at the end of the day, we all end up in the same place…at our table. We all end up sitting around a meal or whatever we can manage with our family, our friends, our roommates or loved ones.

So I suppose it’s food and cooking that can remind us of the common ground we can all stand on, of what's ultimately most important to each and every one of us. It's not just about the food, but it's what the food stands for; it's what happens while we cook or eat. It's when we talk about our day, it’s when we catch up with those we have not seen in a while, its how we celebrate any number of milestones or just the start of one more weekend. That… and it tastes so damn good. – Brooklyn Munch http://www.brooklynmunch.com

December 31, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Ms. Grammar

Wonderfully written. I couldn't agree more! Thank you for sharing, and Happy New Year!

December 31, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  4. Ms. Grammar

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! May 2013 be heaps better than 2012!

Be safe!

December 31, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  5. AleeD®

Planning to sleep 'til 11:50, watch the ball drop, then turn over on the other side and sleep some more. I know, not a wild time from the Thread Dom, but whips & chains 24/7 would diminish some of that "special" factor. ~_~ Besides, I'm letting my toe heal. *snicker*

Happy New Year! As Turth said a few days ago, I hope it's a boring and uneventful year for one and all. ^_^

December 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • MicheleG™

Hear, Hear! No Drama is Good Drama!

December 31, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Truth™@AleeD, MicheleG

Ok Darlin', splii. How did you injure a toe? Do tell...;)

December 31, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  6. MicheleG™

Howdy ho! In Laughlin, Nevada for the blow-out and Harrah's has a New Year's Eve bash we are going to this evening. Hope I can stay up late enough to actually see the New Year IN!

Cheers and a GOOD 2013 to you all! (Political posturing by our august Legislature and their elaborate games of Charades notwithstanding....Every chance I get I'm going to vote OUT of office every one I possibly can. Their nonsense is inexcusable!)

Sorry.....I'm off my tiny soapbox now....(taking a deep breath......)

Poured some medicinal Drambuie in my morning coffee.

December 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  7. The Pledge to Save America

The American Economy is on the edge of disaster and they are talking of taxing us to oblivion, and you liberals sit around and "chat" about coffee?

YOU ARE WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICA
    Quit spending your welfare at Starbucks and GET A JOB

December 31, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • AleeD®

If this is your view of America, then I urge you to get out of your parents' home, give them their lives back and go out and get one of your own. There's too much beauty & happiness to behold in this world for you to be squandering precious time boitching here. Oh, and have an ice 2013.

December 31, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  8. Truth™

Good morning all!
    No major plans tonight, so it will likely be a quiet dinner then old movies on the tv.

And ditto on putting 2012 behind us all, though I've been saying that the last few years. The world does not seem to be getting any better lately.

December 31, 2012 at 9:40 am |
  9. Mary Shannon

Good morning! I am really happy to be putting 2012 behind us and wishing for a much calmer and sane 2013. Stay safe out there tonight, everyone, especially our resident trucker who has no choice but to be out there.

December 31, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • JBJingles_from the casa@MS

Me tooooo. Hoping next year will be much better. :)

December 31, 2012 at 9:34 am |
  10. Kat Kinsman

Whatcha all have planned for tonight? I've been sick since Christmas Eve, so I'm taking it low-key.

December 31, 2012 at 8:05 am |
    • Mary Shannon

Nothing for me, I'm not a fan of NYE and really never have been. I hope you feel better soon!

December 31, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • JBJingles_from the casa

Sorry to hear that Kat! I've had this bug since the 26th, and no end in sight yet... We usually stay home, make some decadent food, sip champagne, and celebrate the ball dropping in Time Square on TV, on EST! That way we get to bed at normal hours. :)

December 31, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • TX4UREXKARLENE

Hope you recover soon !!!

December 31, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  11. TX4UREXKARLENE

Let's get this Party started , Happy New Year !!!! 2013 !!! Wish you all the Best :-)

December 31, 2012 at 8:04 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,398 other followers