6 must-have foods and drinks for 2013
December 27th, 2012

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

What do you want to be eating more of in 2013? Right now, in the midst of my post-holiday food hangover, my answer is “nothing.” My follow-up answer is “anything that’s associated with the word cleanse.” But I’ll get over that.

So I looked in the crystal ball we have lying around at Food & Wine in anticipation of moments like this, and I discovered five foods and one kind of drink that will be on fire in 2013. So get out your soup spoons and Sex on the Beach glasses.

Happy New Year everyone!

Wacky Ramen
It’s not like ramen joints haven't been popping up everywhere. But now, experts - who generally obsess over the broth - are throwing non-traditional ingredients into their ramen bowls. At Dassara in Brooklyn, chef Marc Giroux celebrates the borough’s Jewish heritage with Deli Ramen, filled with matzo balls and Montreal-style smoked pastrami. In Baltimore, at PABU, Ken Tominaga serves Michael’s Chicken Noodle Ramen (it’s named for his business partner, Michael Mina).

Rabbit
Last year, I promoted squirrel as the great new sustainable meat (thanks to chef René Redzepi of Noma in Copenhagen for the idea). This year, in lieu of meat from trees, I’ll call out rabbit, on menus all over the place. SPQR in San Francisco makes a luscious rabbit roulade (if you’d rather eat rabbit at home, the recipe is in the new SPQR cookbook). Chicago’s The Purple Pig turns rabbit into salad with pickled beans and crispy capers; on the small plates menu at Contigo in Austin, rabbit livers are served over Anson Mills grits.

Genius Tacos
If you could eat only one food in 2013, tacos would be a good bet. For one thing, they’re ubiquitous. They’re also becoming increasingly creative. At Manhattan’s El Toro Blanco, chef Josh Capon adds chipotle queso to his roast-chicken tacos (he goes old school, too, with the seasoned ground beef–filled Escuela Vieja).

New York City’s Salvation Taco offers non-traditional braised lamb tacos in naan bread. Comal in Berkeley serves wood-grilled rock-cod tacos with spicy pickled cabbage and avocado aioli; at Copita in Sausalito, the tortillas are house-made for tacos like oyster mushroom with pickled onions and epazote. Copita also boasts that its entire lunch and dinner menus are gluten-free—something else you’ll see ever more of in 2013.

Pasta Everywhere
Right now, every chef’s favorite new toy is his or her pasta extruder (one chef likened it to the joy you got as a kid with your super-deluxe Play-Doh set). At Nellcôte in Chicago, chef Jared van Camp mills his own flour in-house daily and makes over a dozen fresh pastas.

In St. Louis, Gerard Craft has become such a pasta expert at Pastaria that he’s even making alphabet pasta (the kind you usually see in canned soups). At Manhattan’s new L’Apicio, chef Gabe Thompson is tweaking classic sauces for his house pastas, like adding pepperoni slivers to linguine with clam sauce.

Chocolate Cake 2.0
If there’s anything I love more than a Cake Wreck, it’s a really great version of an old-school chocolate cake. Battersby in Brooklyn has a tiny dessert menu that includes a superb version of Black Forest Cake, with brandied cherries on top. The Bakery at Cakes & Ale in Decatur, Georgia, is serving Marble Blackout Cake: vanilla, citrus and chocolate marbled cake with chocolate buttercream. (That’s just one of its many excellent retooled classics - Hummingbird Cake is another.)

And at Sugar and Plumm in Manhattan, the Brooklyn Blackout Cake is currently served as part of the "Earthquake in a Fishbowl." That earthquake also includes key lime pie; butterscotch pudding; vanilla, chocolate and salted caramel ice creams; and whipped cream. Wow.

Kitschy Cocktails
If there’s anything I love more than a great old-school chocolate cake, it’s a great tacky cocktail. In Manhattan, Mission Chinese Food just got its liquor license; one of the first drinks they’ll serve is Sex on the Beach. In Washington, DC, Firefly has a new drinks menu, and they’re bringing back that 1980s classic, the Cosmopolitan.

More from Food & Wine:

Top 50 Cocktail Bars in America

2013 Cocktail Trends

Best Mac and Cheese in the U.S.

Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.

Best Taco Spots in the U.S.

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Food and Wine • Restaurant News • Restaurants • Sip • Spirits

« Previous entry
  1. Anwar Hossain

Nice sharing! a wonderful and also a very helpful sharing… i found very helpful tips in this article….. Thanks for an adorable sharing. Anwar

August 3, 2013 at 6:48 am |
  2. bonjourno

im voting more in the area of wild game its the season

January 2, 2013 at 6:04 am |
  3. GiGi Eats Celebrities

I'm voting for ELK as a must have food in 2013! Just saying!

January 1, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • ohioan

I love elk. If you've never had it, you are missing out! I've had it as burgers, stew, and pepperoni sticks. A friend also made spaghetti with meat sauce using elk. Even my pickiest child asked for seconds. and he's not a fan of spaghetti and meat sauce!

January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
  4. Ruben Papian

Hmm well I am about to spend Q1 2013 in USA so people sort of prepared me for some foodpocalypse. Is it that bad?

December 31, 2012 at 6:38 am |
  5. empresstrudy

Your food as a political and/or fashion statement. Awesome remtarded.

December 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  6. Charlotte

Well of all these I could see the pasta being true for myself, but I already eat so much pasta it would be hard for me to consume more of it.

December 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  7. sirjongalt

I thought the answer to the question of what we'll be eating more of began with a P, had 5 letters, ended with a Y.

December 28, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • thisislindee

Thank you for making me laugh out loud this morning! :)

December 28, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Dr. Phil

Well, you are what you eat...

December 28, 2012 at 11:02 am |
  8. NooYawkah

I believe the part about the chocolate cake. In fact our beloved First Lady has said "Let them eat cake" on more than one occasion.

December 28, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  9. navychick63

I can't even barely afford to put food on my table now thanks to the economy.

December 28, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • VladT

and..........?

December 28, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  10. VladT

Whenever I see an article like this, I always have a little part of me regretting living in the sacramento area after growing up in los angeles. Nothing even close to this ingenuity here.....well, we do have the Pancake Circus. :P

I love matzo balls, infatuated with a good bowl of ramen, and that sounds like the perfect Christmas day meal for those two populations :D

December 28, 2012 at 9:12 am |
  11. Pierre

How about python? There seems to be an abundance in Florida's Everglades.
    Rattlesnake is delicious.

December 28, 2012 at 8:38 am |
  12. Soraya

Cosmo's maybe 80's but were they not the rage because of Sex in the City about 5 plus years ago? I mean really its not like they are bringing back streetcars or mint juleps.

December 28, 2012 at 8:21 am |
  13. Really funny

These comments are the best part of every article.

December 28, 2012 at 8:19 am |
  14. BS

Well, apparently I have to be in NYC, DC, or Chicago to eat great food, so I guess I'll have to just stick to normal stuff. Oh, and a chef that mills his own flour to make his own pasta is an idiot. It's not like grinding coffee which then goes stale quickly. It's flour. Does this guy also refine his own gasoline? Make his own light bulbs?

December 28, 2012 at 7:23 am |
    • Charlotte

LOL! I have to agree there! Grind your coffee, grind your spices, and it makes a world of difference. Flour is not full of volatiles and it seems like a waste of time and effort to do this.

December 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  15. James

Rabbit sounds good, very little pandemic risk because they are immune to prions, and it is lean and plentiful, the only risk is PETA skinning me in my dining room for eating it. I prefer a traditional Western European meal plan with many small meals, largest being a lunch, it's kept me quite lean.

December 28, 2012 at 2:20 am |
  16. 1gadawg

... i'd be glad to grill up Rodger any time!!! ...and Jessica too!!!

December 27, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  17. Melissa

I seriously think some of these authors are smoking something. I love chocolate. The rest? Yeah right.

December 27, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
  18. Vexamor

Don't forget to add taxes to that list as we all take a plunge.

December 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • Thinks2010

I think you're lost.

December 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  19. Ali

Rabbit??? OMG that is so wrong

December 27, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • Beth

Why is it wrong. Rabbit is a nice, lean meat and tastes good.

December 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Dan in Colo

After petsitting a rabbit for a couple of weeks about 15 years ago has turned me off on eating rabbit. I can't eat pets.

December 27, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • SixDegrees

Why? Rabbit has been eaten for millennia. It's readily available at specialty butcher shops, and even at some mainstream grocery stores.

Perhaps not surprisingly, it tastes like chicken. Sort of.

December 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
      • Sarah

Rabbit tastes absolutely nothing like chicken! I love it, however, and although we don't eat them as regularly as we did when we raised them, we still eat it several times a year.

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • Dover

Why? What makes it different from any other four legged mammal? Or any animal for that matter.

December 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Sporky

I have a pet rabbit and would never be able to dissociate Pancakes the bunny from the rabbit on my plate. Rabbits have great personalities and are fun little critters. Chickens and fish, on the other hand...

December 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
      • Sarah

You are right that pet rabbits would not make good eating. There are different varieties that do, though.

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
        • k9zgirl

You missed the point.

December 27, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
      • red

Had a pet chicken and have many pet fish with their own unique personalities. Still eat chicken and fish. I can dissociate my guys from random chicken and fish that aren't my pets. All animals have some degree of intelligence and cuteness – pigs and cows are undeniably smarter than my pets, but they're also on the dinner table here.

December 28, 2012 at 12:26 am |
    • Coyolxauhqui

ikr?!

December 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • kevin

rabbit is fantastic. last time i ordered it was in switzerland a couple of years ago – hasenpfeffer (rabbit stew). very lean and flavorful. and yes, people have been eating rabbit for a very long time.

December 28, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • sirjongalt

Why then, did God make rabbit taste so good??

Easy to farm too.

December 28, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Charlotte

I routinely feed my cats raw rabbit. It's very good for them. I've eaten it (cooked). Meh. But I'm not much of a carnivore so not terribly interested in eating some meat that doesn't really thrill me.

December 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  20. marty

Chocolate cake has nothing on a fresh, juicy peach or D' Anjou pear. Or a handful of blueberries or strawberries. That's goooood eats.

December 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Thinks2010

Ummm pears. Doh!

December 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  21. Thinks2010

Some of these sound yummy, but for my money you can't beat a nice, ripe, juicy, cool, fresh Satsuma. Soooooo good!

December 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • Thinks2010

That would be the orange, not the snail. lol

December 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
  22. DD

Don't touch my chocolate cake. PS quite a jolt realizing an entire generation hasn't had a Cosmo.

December 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • kevin

i don't know where they got the notion that no one has been drinking cosmopolitans since the 1980s. newsflash to author: they have. and a lot of them.

December 28, 2012 at 1:48 am |
  23. Margaret

Everything has to be meat or baked goods or chocolate, throw in pizzas for good measure. No wonder people are suffering all kinds of illnesses and chronic diseases. Get on a good healthy diet and you'll be surprised at the improvement in your health. I'm a senior, vegetarian, take NO medications whatsoever, and enjoy my life (with the occasional treat). If people want to end up obese and in hospital beds and taking 8 or 9 kinds of pills every day, good for them; I choose not to. CS is right on.

December 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • esmiranda

It's funny – you seem to understand the concept of "occasional treat." Oh, I get it! we have to like what you like.

December 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • steel cup

How is your sex life?

December 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • terry

I am also a senior, take 1 med, aspirin, I eat and drink what I want in moderation. I certainly do not sit around praising myself for my healthy life. I am healthy because I forgive and I laove forget the food be kind to yourself and others

December 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  24. CS

If there was more focus on blueberries, whole grains, veggies and heathy bean dishes and the like instead of chocolate cake, tacos, and fatty meats then we could save billions on healthcare costs. A major cause of skyrocketing costs is FAT FAT FAT Americans. Time to stop being FAT!

December 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™

Whachoo talking about!? The lady holding that cake is not fat...everything in moderation, including your beans please, they make you gassy. Relax a little, it's an article on food trends, and guess what? Tofu is not trending. :D

December 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
      • Mitt Romney's Dog

You sound like you're about 12 years old.

December 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
        • ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™

And you sound unhappy. I guess I would be too if I had to ride on top of the car for 12 hours...

December 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
      • Smithh111

That cake is not moderation. With obesity on the rise, and associated health costs, relaxing is not what we should be doing now, even during the holidays. CS is correct. Just because a healthy diet isnt trending doesnt mean the trend is correct.

December 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
        • esmiranda

Enjoy your gluten free, dairy free, lactose free tofu pudding. It's obviously feeding your squeaky clean soul.

December 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
      • Alama

Of course they're not going to show a fat person holding some unhealthy food, what kind of advertisement would that be? And... if beans make you gassy it's because your system needs to be cleaned out, those beans are just doin' their job, did you not know that? Why do you even mention tofu, it's not in the article. This article is just one person's idea of what to eat, but it's not for me.

December 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
        • esmiranda

Admit it – you just love the art of the fart.

December 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
        • esmiranda

Also, beans cause gas because the human digestive system is unable to fully digest the sugars present in legumes. Totally scientifically true. It has little to do with the fiber.

December 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
        • terry

Why are you reading this article Go away! You are not the only healthy people in the world. If you would stop heaping condemnation on everyone they might be healthier

December 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
        • BS

RE: Alama's comment: "And... if beans make you gassy it's because your system needs to be cleaned out, those beans are just doin' their job, did you not know that?"

As has already been pointed out, flatulence from eating beans has nothing to do with the need for a "cleanse". The gas comes from bacteria consuming starches in the beans that one's body is not able to digest on it's own. It is perfectly normal and has nothing to do with the health of the person eating the beans.

December 28, 2012 at 8:24 am |
      • esmiranda

Don't bother trying to make these prigs understand. They are addicted to being self righteous.

December 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
        • Smith111

Stop trying to get everyone on your fat wagon so you can make yourself feel good. Scientific data proves how bad the American diet is, for the individual and for the country. The airlines estimate it will cost in excess of $500 million dollars in extra fuel to fly obese people this year. When you are on the surgery table with your chest cut open and legs stripped out of your legs, we'll see how great your American diet is. If you live to get there. The first warning signs of heart disease for half you people is a fatal heart attack. Good luck with that.

December 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
      • VladT

I wasn't aware that Chicken is a fatty meat....guess I really can learn stuff from you overzealous vegan nutjobs

December 28, 2012 at 9:08 am |
    • KSS

FAT does not make you fat! Eat a paleo diet.

December 27, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
      • BS

No offense, but nothing we eat today can be the same as what cavemen ate because the food itself has evolved. And speaking of evolution, our bodies don't have the same needs as caveman bodies had. Oh, and of course the diets of early humans would have varied based on where they lived. And they ate what they ate not to be healthy but to avoid starving to death, etc.

The paleo diet is a joke. A fad. We couldn't even pinpoint the exact paleo diet if we wanted to.

December 28, 2012 at 7:31 am |
      • sirjongalt

How about the coprophagia diet? Look it up.

December 28, 2012 at 10:31 am |
        • BS

LOL. The ultimate in agricultural sustainability, I'm sure.

December 28, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • k9zgirl

Agree with CS

December 27, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
  25. Tina Tally

I wish some of these food writers would venture outside of NY more often. This one does at least mention a few other cities. I love trying different foods in different cities, and I'm sure I don't have the access to places this writer does. I would think a restaurant editor for such a large publication would have enough foodie contacts around the country to write something more relevant to those of us in other regions.

December 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  26. MomWiz

Some of those "genius tacos" were the original recipes from decades ago! Interesting how things tend to come back in full circles. I'll take a chicken taco any day over the "traditional" beef. Thanks to Mom for a rich heritage and delicious memories.

December 27, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Az Clint

How is ground beef traditional? I'm guessing Taco Bell must be traditional Mexican food in NYC. Shredded beef... come on man!

December 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Fiona

I haven't had a good Black Forest Cake in many years! Glad to see it coming back. The "earthquake in a fishbowl", on the other hand, sounds revolting.

December 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • esmiranda

Better hurry and have some. It's about to be outlawed by the crop dusting beans and tofu patrol.

December 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,619 other followers